Eva 2.22 (and 3.33?) BD/DVD Audio issues?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:29 pm

I downloaded the BDISO-- which should have no differences from the Blu-ray except for encryption-- and confirmed that the music still drops off. In particular, when Unit 01's resisting the Eighth Angel right before Asuka runs up, the music seems to vanish. And throughout much of the song, the choir is much less audible than in the camrip.

Helius
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Helius » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:38 pm

View Original PostNAveryW wrote:I downloaded the BDISO-- which should have no differences from the Blu-ray except for encryption-- and confirmed that the music still drops off. In particular, when Unit 01's resisting the Eighth Angel right before Asuka runs up, the music seems to vanish. And throughout much of the song, the choir is much less audible than in the camrip.

Yeah, that is my biggest gripe of this 2.22 release. The Sahaquiel interception scene should've been the most epic moment in the film, and the choir plays a large part in it. The way they messed up the music as soon as "Fate" kicks in totally ruined the experience IMO.
"Wars Begin Where You Will... But They Do Not End Where You Please."

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:52 pm

Musical choices in 2.0 were generally terrible.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:11 am

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:Musical choices in 2.0 were generally terrible.

I can't believe you're implying that putting children songs to violent content is a bad choice; but you are BrikHaus.....

JoeD80
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby JoeD80 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:00 pm

View Original PostRodeo wrote:the song just doesn't sync up very well in 2.22, it's awkward how the finale kinda comes out of nowhere before Asuka has actually penetrated the AT field. They should have either left the scene as it was, or gotten Sagisu to redo the track.

The music ends after Eva 02 comes through the other side of the Angel but before the core pops on the Blu-Ray; it's still there before the AT Field is penetrated.

Kozar927
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Kozar927 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:45 am

If you mean things changed from 3.0 in 3.33. they butchered the music. Looks like cam rip is best version for me. Music was made so quit is absolutely inaudible. final scean is ruined. ode to joy ruined. Piano scean ruined. Im so upset. Its worse then the music volume nerf from 2.0 to 2.22 and that was bad enough. why do they keep doing this? How can decreasing the music volume on the retail versions for all the rebuild movies make sence at all. The music is one of the best parts. to me at least

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:52 am

Troll or just grammar difficulties?

EDIT: I wouldn't judge it by some torrent half-assed file, wait for a proper 1080p rip that should be out this week to fully appreciate the film
Last edited by Stan on Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kozar927
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Kozar927 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:53 am

View Original PostStan wrote:Troll or just grammar difficulties?

So because my opinion differs from yours on the importance of music in eva im a troll? Ughh why do I come here.

View Original PostStan wrote:EDIT: I wouldn't judge it by some torrent half-assed file, wait for a proper 1080p rip that should be out this week to fully appreciate the film

1080p has been out for a couple hours now

Hatsumi92
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Hatsumi92 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:08 am

I think you're possibly watching a very poor rip. Seems like the person who ripped it may have forgotten to include all the audio channels or something.

Kozar927
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Kozar927 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:10 am

View Original PostHatsumi92 wrote:I think you're possibly watching a very poor rip. Seems like the person who ripped it may have forgotten to include all the audio channels or something.

I really hope so, but I got scared because of the huge music volume drop that 2.22 had. And that is on BD disc that I own and many people have complained about. I really hope this is a coincidence and its a bad rip, but if they did it before im thinking its really like this again.

Hatsumi92
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Hatsumi92 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:18 am

View Original PostKozar927 wrote:I really hope so, but I got scared because of the huge music volume drop that 2.22 had. And that is on BD disc that I own and many people have complained about. I really hope this is a coincidence and its a bad rip, but if they did it before im thinking its really like this again.

2.22 audio drop? I own the Japanese Blu-ray and it's in 6.1 TrueHD and it sounds incredible. I think you may be interpreting the auditorium being blasted with music as the theatrical versions having louder audio. Threatre sound systems are really, really intricate and they're probably one of the reasons people still go to the cinemas, because it delivers an atmosphere an at-home-experience can't really deliver.

To experience 1.11/2.22/3.33's audio even close to what the theatrical set up is, you need a 6.1 surround set up which cannot really be delivered on a computer without treating your computer set up also as how you'd treat your TV/movie set up.

Kozar927
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Kozar927 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:24 am

View Original PostHatsumi92 wrote:2.22 audio drop? I own the Japanese Blu-ray and it's in 6.1 TrueHD and it sounds incredible. I think you may be interpreting the auditorium being blasted with music as the theatrical versions having louder audio. Threatre sound systems are really, really intricate and they're probably one of the reasons people still go to the cinemas, because it delivers an atmosphere an at-home-experience can't really deliver.

To experience 1.11/2.22/3.33's audio even close to what the theatrical set up is, you need a 6.1 surround set up which cannot really be delivered on a computer without treating your computer set up also as how you'd treat your TV/movie set up.

http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/9136/Eva-222-BD-DVD-Audio-issues/0/?

Read some posts from here. Their are also other thread which discuss the music volume beings very low in 2.22 on this forum alone. Lets alone elsewhere. I have seen tons of anime movies who sound levels remain the same on DVD /BD versions. They deff lower the Music level compared to voices and sound effect for their home releases. This is widely acknowledged, but this is the farthest it has ever gone imho (if the currently top seeded BD RIP is a fully accurate file and not bugged out or anything)

Also by that logic how does it make sense I watched the rip on my PC and the music was very loud and so where the sound effect/voices. Now only the sound effects and voices are loud.

Hatsumi92
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Hatsumi92 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:31 am

View Original PostKozar927 wrote:http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/9136/Eva-222-BD-DVD-Audio-issues/0/?

Read some posts from here. Their are also other thread which discuss the music volume beings very low in 2.22 on this forum alone. Lets alone elsewhere. I have seen tons of anime movies who sound levels remain the same on DVD /BD versions. They deff lower the Music level compared to voices and sound effect for their home releases. This is widely acknowledged, but this is the farthest it has ever gone imho

But even in that thread people are also claiming to not have a problem and are also citing added in/enhanced music in the cam rip from sampling the movies respective soundtrack. This person also seems to be having issues with a rip, like you seem to be, where as the people who aren't are using a disc.

There are also intentional drops in music volume because that is how pretty much every score in every movie behaves so a scene isn't blown out by overpowering music, but there are also issues of downgrading an audio track which was mastered in 6.1 to something like 2.0 which your computer probably is. You'll get significant audio drops if you're watching a 6.1 TrueHD master using a 2.0 stereo system.

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:34 am

^ I own both the Jap and NA release of 2.22 and have no problems with the audio at all on my TV (which does not have surround sound). The camrip from the theater has louder sound-effect because they always blast the sound at any cinema to a point thats out of my comfort level and hurts the ears during explosions due to sound outbursts---so yeah it sounds louder on a video made using an iPhone. The BD release has leveled out audio made for viewing the film under normal circumstances at home on a normal TV

Kozar927
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Kozar927 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:34 am

View Original PostHatsumi92 wrote:But even in that thread people are also claiming to not have a problem and are also citing added in/enhanced music in the cam rip from sampling the movies respective soundtrack. This person also seems to be having issues with a rip, like you seem to be, where as the people who aren't are using a disc.

There are also intentional drops in music volume because that is how pretty much every score in every movie behaves so a scene isn't blown out by overpowering music, but there are also issues of downgrading an audio track which was mastered in 6.1 to something like 2.0 which your computer probably is. You'll get significant audio drops if you're watching a 6.1 TrueHD master using a 2.0 stereo system.

But I watch 2.22 on my home BD player with surround and I watched 2.0 in theaters. Their is definitely many musical volume changes. It very very obvious. Its not just the sound system of the theater the music cuts are diffrent and they go quite when people talk on the disc but in the theater music didnt artificially cut out when people spoke. I dont know why no other movies have this problem on transition to a home release. what ever its cool if its not an issue for you guys. thats fine. It really effects my enjoyment of the movie. I must be deaf because watching it again at full volume Ode to Joy is a whisper and is nowhere close to as epic as it was in 3.0. God just let us get the original movie like they did for 1.0/1.01 for god sake.

Hatsumi92
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Hatsumi92 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:46 am

View Original PostKozar927 wrote:But I watch 2.22 on my home BD player with surround and I watched 2.0 in theaters. Their is definitely many musical volume changes. It very very obvious. Its not just the sound system of the theater the music cuts are diffrent and they go quite when people talk on the disc but in the theater music didnt artificially cut out when people spoke. I dont know why no other movies have this problem on transition to a home release. what ever its cool if its not an issue for you guys. thats fine. It really effects my enjoyment of the movie. I must be deaf because watching it again at full volume Ode to Joy is a whisper and is nowhere close to as epic as it was in 3.0. God just let us get the original movie like they did for 1.0/1.01 for god sake.

That sounds like you've got a poor set up. A Blu-ray player alone will not magically make your audio set up sound perfect. It seems like you've got it set to 6.1 TrueHD or the lossy 6.1 when your output is significantly lower than 6.1. I don't get ANY audio cuts and I watch it with the correct set up to the audio output I have chosen.

The ripper doesn't know how to encode audio probably and it was just a quick rip to get the first rip out there. Just fix your audio set up is my advice.

Kozar927
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Kozar927 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:49 am

View Original PostHatsumi92 wrote:That sounds like you've got a poor set up. A Blu-ray player alone will not magically make your audio set up sound perfect. It seems like you've got it set to 6.1 TrueHD or the lossy 6.1 when your output is significantly lower than 6.1. I don't get ANY audio cuts and I watch it with the correct set up to the audio output I have chosen.

The ripper doesn't know how to encode audio probably and it was just a quick rip to get the first rip out there. Just fix your audio set up is my advice.

Ok so how about this. Watch 1.01 and then 1.11 (store bought copies) on the same setup. If you say the music isn't quieter in 1.11 then it is in 1.01 then idk what to say to you. A lot of people said the same things I'm saying when 2.22 came out this isn't an isolated issue my surround sound system is fine. I never said a bd player had anything to do with my audio quality.

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:56 am

View Original PostKozar927 wrote:Ok so how about this. Watch 1.01 and then 1.11 (store bought copies) on the same setup. If you say the music isn't quieter in 1.11 then it is in 1.01 then idk what to say to you. A lot of people said the same things I'm saying when 2.22 came out this isn't an isolated issue my surround sound system is fine. I never said a bd player had anything to do with my audio quality.

No, not a lot of people are saying bad things about 2.22's audio, its the minority like you. I also don't understand what you're trying to argue here. She clearly is trying to help you solve your problem as it seems she knows what she's talking about--so why are trying to argue with her? No one has this problem it seems, so take the advice that people offer you to fix the issue and have a full experience watching the movies.

Kozar927
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Kozar927 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:01 am

View Original PostStan wrote:No, not a lot of people are saying bad things about 2.22's audio, its the minority like you. I also don't understand what you're trying to argue here. She clearly is trying to help you solve your problem as it seems she knows what she's talking about--so why are trying to argue with her? No one has this problem it seems, so take the advice that people offer you to fix the issue and have a full experience watching the movies.

Check my link buddy. Or just run the test for your self. Or or just google 2.22 audio differences I will take you seriously after you compaired 1.01 and 1.11 on the same system.

Hatsumi92
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Hatsumi92 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:06 am

View Original PostKozar927 wrote:Ok so how about this. Watch 1.01 and then 1.11 (store bought copies) on the same setup. If you say the music isn't quieter in 1.11 then it is in 1.01 then idk what to say to you. A lot of people said the same things I'm saying when 2.22 came out this isn't an isolated issue my surround sound system is fine. I never said a bd player had anything to do with my audio quality.

Well 1.01 is a DVD and 1.11 is a Blu-ray so 1.11 is of course louder than 1.01 because it has different audio mastering. Similar to 2.22 and 3.33, actually. Your problem lies in your audio set up.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”