Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

schwarzstahlhelm1993
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

"Official" Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet threa

•      
  •      

Postby schwarzstahlhelm1993 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:09 pm

Surprised there hasn't been a thread for this little gem either.

Anyhow, first two episodes were great:

Animation is pretty good, and the CGI is decent. The art is very good, and the character designs are actually pretty good (especially considering this is a hentai doujin artist we're talking about), and Ledo is a pretty good protagonist IMO. And Chamber is so, so moe and cool and he reminds me of Linna's hardsuit (the head most likely).

Overall, good so far. Looking forward.

What impression have you had?

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:16 pm

Enjoyed the first two episodes so far. The combat is a little weak, and Gen being attached to it is concerning, but so far I'm interested in the show. The visuals in particular are very nice, from the shots of the water (I liked the scene from episode 2 with the lightning) , to the general look of the CG mech.

schwarzstahlhelm1993
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby schwarzstahlhelm1993 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:35 pm

Shocking turn of events.

SPOILER: Show

But fear not: this being an Urobutcher show, things will change. And not just for the bloodthirsty. Nope, nope. I'm calling it:

A Gall Force Stardust War ending.

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:17 pm

I liked the third episode, but I REALLY hope the fights get more exciting later on.

The "hey don't kill those guys!" thing will probably help lead to some more creative fights later on (And we did get some of that here), but as of now Ledo and Chamber seem invincible.

Like the ending of the battle against the lobster bot was funny, but I hope Ledo will have to do more than just brute force enemies like that in later episodes.

schwarzstahlhelm1993
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby schwarzstahlhelm1993 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:20 pm

Maybe it was so it didn't get stale: as in, that every episode didn't turn into a "Pirates appear, Ledo beam spams the fuck out of them, some SoL things in the last ten minutes". They wanted to add a little edge or whatever. Not much of a problem ONCE you watch the actual episode.

The old man will die. I'm calling it.

Agentomega
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Agentomega » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:21 pm

For whatever reason (possibly some of the character design) it has kind of a Last Exile feel...

Anyway, back to the show. I really like how they handle the language barrier. I mean, I'm pretty sure both parties are speaking some derivative of Ancient Japanese (very similar to how Banner of the Stars used Ancient Japanese as the basis for Baronh)
Avatar: Rhoe Amariyo (© 2010-2014 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved. FINAL FANTASY X|V)
Karigane Shirou in LoL's RP - Rebuild of Evangelion: We Are (Not) Together
"'I was a nerd before it was cool' ~Agent" ~Lance of LoL

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:38 pm

Show already jumped the shark.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

schwarzstahlhelm1993
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby schwarzstahlhelm1993 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:54 pm

I wouldn't go that far. Just because it isn't being as edgy and "tragic" like Urobuchi's previous shows doesn't mean it will be bad. So far, it has delivered.

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:56 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:Show already jumped the shark.

That is clearly a boat that the show jumped my good sir! :irked:

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:08 pm

huehuehue what are wordplays?

View Original Postschwarzstahlhelm1993 wrote:I wouldn't go that far. Just because it isn't being as edgy and "tragic" like Urobuchi's previous shows doesn't mean it will be bad. So far, it has delivered.

Has little to do with edgyness and more with the hypocrisy that they are against killing yet attack the pirates with their own ships. It's just another of those ham-fisted no-kill policy bullshit anime likes to parade around which I'm sick of.

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

schwarzstahlhelm1993
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby schwarzstahlhelm1993 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:15 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:huehuehue what are wordplays?

Has little to do with edgyness and more with the hypocrisy that they are against killing yet attack the pirates with their own ships. It's just another of those ham-fisted no-kill policy bullshit anime likes to parade around which I'm sick of.

Granted...you're very right. I won't deny I was put off and was one of the sperglords on /m/ that bitched about it at first. But I'm sure that something will come out of this and it won't be just Leddo suddenly, magically realizing that "lol guys youre right all humans deserve to live even if theyre mass murderers and rapists amirite?" I think this mentality from the Gargantians will come back to bite them, sooner or later.

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:22 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:huehuehue what are wordplays?

Not my best joke, I will admit. :sniffle:

I think they're trying to go somewhere with this though. Ledo has brought up the "OMG THESE PEOPLE EAT ANIMALSSSSSS" thing a few times already in the show both as vile act and in comparison to killing the pirates, so it seems like they're building up to something along these lines. Perhaps the Gargantians will eventually have to accept killing others and this will be one of those kinds of stories about a "paradise" being corrupted.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:56 pm

Well, I don't see him turning into Kira Yamato but he is already changing. It won't take long before he has turned into a water hippie and plays Lonely Shepherd on his ocarina.

COME AT ME UROBUTCHER, prove me wrong!

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

schwarzstahlhelm1993
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby schwarzstahlhelm1993 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:17 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:Well, I don't see him turning into Kira Yamato but he is already changing. It won't take long before he has turned into a water hippie and plays Lonely Shepherd on his ocarina.

I think it will be somewhat like Psychic Ass: things will get bad, the MC and his companions WILL suffer, there will be losses...but Leddo will also learn something positive. Not

UNDERSTANDING IS THE KEY TO COEXISTENCE GUISE PLEASE LETS SHOUT AND HAVE MAGIC MIND SEX SO WE CAN UNDERSTAND EACH OTHER BETTER WITH MY MACHINE

It will be more about the importance of people having to work hard to achieve a desired goal. These goals may or may not be good, but the point is that in order to reach happiness, they will have to suffer too. And in the process, Leddo will learn a few things and become "more human", but without losing his edge and efficiency.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Fri May 24, 2013 3:58 pm

Missed this and didn't search, could have posted my positive opinion of Bellows here. -o-; Jeez what a name she has. "Ridget" is another one although it also aligns with her character so far.

Series is already at the halfway point and unless things really speed up and get resolved, expecting a season 2.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Redtophat » Fri May 24, 2013 6:21 pm

The titles of the next three episodes are online, and they are:
Ep8 - Separation
Ep9 - The Secret of the Ocean's Depths
Ep10 - The Island of Ambition
Finally looks like we're getting some action.

schwarzstahlhelm1993
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby schwarzstahlhelm1993 » Fri May 24, 2013 7:19 pm

Hopefully, yeah. Last episode had pretty good tension.

GALL FORCE ENDING I'M CALLING IT GUISE

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Fri May 24, 2013 11:28 pm

Calling it, Ledo was sent back in time and his actions in ep 7 start the war with the Hedoz.. hedr....????? Squid monsters.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Mon May 27, 2013 11:13 am

I might start watching this, would I be wasting my time? People seem to dislike it.

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Redtophat » Mon May 27, 2013 12:03 pm

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:I might start watching this, would I be wasting my time? People seem to dislike it.
Nah it's a decent show, I'd say give it a watch. It's one of the better shows of the season along with SnK and Hataraku Maou-sama.

Return to “Anime and Manga”