If You Were Redesigning The Evangelions...

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:43 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:2. Make the Evas darker and less... cartoony. Strike fear into your enemies instead of incapacitating them through laughter.

This. Also, urban camo instead of cartoony paintjobs.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:24 pm

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:Also, urban camo instead of cartoony paintjobs.

Doesn't really matter what color you are when the enemy can detect you regardless of whether it has eyes or not.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:28 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Doesn't really matter what color you are when the enemy can detect you regardless of whether it has eyes or not.

It's purely for propaganda. Who wants to pilot something that has the color scheme of a booger?

Dullvert
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Dullvert » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:30 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:It's purely for propaganda. Who wants to pilot something that has the color scheme of a booger?

Personally I think you should make the colors extra embarrassing to humiliate the angels. I mean how would you feel if you were defeated by a pink giant robot with glitter? ;)

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:32 pm

There should be catchphrases as well. Just something cool to say after defeating an Angel. Y'know, like "Say hello to your friends in hell!"

Of course, in Shinji's case, it would be, "Death to all who inconvenience me! And also to the emotionally healthy."

Rodeo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rodeo » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:14 am

It would also be very convenient if the batteries were replaceable.
Also, I don't know about you, but I think it'd be nice if the Evas were just a little bit bigger.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:31 am

View Original PostRodeo wrote:It would also be very convenient if the batteries were replaceable.

Q  SPOILER: Show
Already done in 3.0: at least Unit 02 can swap its own batteries on the field.

GAR Shinji
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby GAR Shinji » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:12 pm

Boob levers? That's going in a fan fic.
With this hand, I'll create victory! My courage will NEVER DIE!

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:23 pm

That would work well with an Eva that's literally powered by the pilot's incoherent screaming.

Shinji was always the chosen one.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:15 am

I would have a cameo Eva with Elite armor from Halo. The Eva would get its own Energy Sword and everything.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

sephiros
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby sephiros » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:41 am

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:I would have a cameo Eva with Elite armor from Halo. The Eva would get its own Energy Sword and everything.

That's pretty much what the MP-Evas look like anyway.
SPOILER: Show
Godzilla never had an AT Field!!
You dumbass, what the hell else do you think I'm talking about? We're gonna combine!!
If the demon is truly big, then we are no match for it. It's irrational. It's impossible. It's against my religion.
Your victory was a Deus Ex Machina, ergo that cake is a lie!

EVAfacepalm
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EVAfacepalm » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:47 pm

I agree with the OP's statements about making the Evas look less human. I always disliked Rebuild's more human proportions. Longer arms, more beast-like facial designs, while keeping with some basic design ideas. In general, I want to see the fusion of machine and organism made more clear. For example, making the Evas look less like humanoids wearing armor and more like creatures that have been forced into an exoskeleton. I always liked to think that Unit 01 was designed to look like a soldier, Unit 00 a machine, and Unit 02 like a monster.

01 has definitely the most human characteristics, and any redesign should keep that. I'm thinking they should keep it mostly unchanged from the TV design but add in some more technological flourishes. Perhaps exposed servos and wiring of the armor from its status as a test type. It should look evenly organic and machine. This would fit with Shinji, as he is the most flawed and, thus, "human" of the three.

Unit 00 on the other hand, should look more mechanical because of its prototype status (as Nerv was just testing building techniques and how much less organic, and thus safe, they could make an Eva), as in bulkier and more methodically moving. Instead of implanted cybernetics and armor, the original organic life form has been mostly torn away and replaced with machinery. For example, if this new Unit 00 had its arm cut off, instead of seeing flesh we would see wiring and machinery surrounding a base of bone and a few major arteries. This fits Rei because she has been raised as inhuman and expendable,taught to think of herself as a machine.

Now Unit 02, with its many eyes and more inhuman helmet shape (made even more clear in the Rebuild Redesign) should look completely alien. The way it moves shouldn't look right. I'm thinking that it should have exposed flesh on a few areas, longer arms and legs, and eyes that are visibly staring in multiple directions everywhere around it. The justification would be a need to do as little work as possible on the Evas as they were being worked on several at a time and around the world in a crisis. This new Unit 02 should always move like Unit 01 in berserk, even if it's under control. This again fits the pilot because Asuka is the most emotionally driven of the three, and despite her attempts to remain collected and assert dominance over others will break into outbursts against those she sees as a threat to her dominance.
According to Seele, Tang is the ultimate form of life. I guess that means the astronauts are committing genocide all the time then.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:06 pm

I dig the "man-in-suit" proportions of NTE and EOE much more than the sytlised Evas of NGE. Really accentuates the tokusatsu influence, which is what they were going for I believe.

I'd probably just like to see Yamashita let loose and go even more crazy to be honest, i.e. Anima. So hopefully we see some truly uncanny shit come Final.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:54 pm

Well I don't know about the Evangelions themselves, but I've wanted to make an amateur live-action film adaption of Eva. The Evas would be played by women in suits, by the way. There would be some major creative differences though. For instance, Asuka would be a French Nazi, Gendo would be a eunuch with his own musical number, Kiel would be Faust, and Shinji would be noble.
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:58 pm

View Original PostLavinius wrote:Well I don't know about the Evangelions themselves, but I've wanted to make an amateur live-action film adaption of Eva. The Evas would be played by women in suits, by the way. There would be some major creative differences though. For instance, Asuka would be a French Nazi, Gendo would be a eunuch with his own musical number, Kiel would be Faust, and Shinji would be noble.

Kickstarter is your friend. ^_^

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:04 pm

View Original PostEVAfacepalm wrote:I always liked to think that Unit 01 was designed to look like a soldier, Unit 00 a machine, and Unit 02 like a monster.

In the original scheme, Eva-01 is clearly the monster of the three, having the oni horn, the gnashing red "teeth", the association with the word "Beast" (cf. episode 02 if the second film has made you forget), and the propensity to go batshit crazy. Eva-02 was much closer to the "soldier": trained pilot Asuka's refined combat machine. Frankly, there's nothing very monstrous about her in the original. The helmet design is a bit alien, with the four eyes and all, but it's completely stoic, with none of the beastly expressiveness of 01 or 03.

It's only in the new films that Eva-02 gets her own oni horns, and has Eva-01's post-Bardiel Beast quotient transferred over.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:27 pm

View Original PostLavinius wrote:Well I don't know about the Evangelions themselves, but I've wanted to make an amateur live-action film adaption of Eva. The Evas would be played by women in suits, by the way. There would be some major creative differences though. For instance, Asuka would be a French Nazi, Gendo would be a eunuch with his own musical number, Kiel would be Faust, and Shinji would be noble.

I'll fund your kickstarter on the condition that I can voice Unit One and instead of partially consuming Zeruel I instead kill it by reciting John Galt's speech from Atlas Shrugged over celtic punk rock.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Madonna
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Madonna » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:39 am

Something more organic, more human like, less robotic, and more adaptive to the personality of the pilot.

EVAfacepalm
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EVAfacepalm » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:15 pm

Okay Reichu, I see what you mean. Let me change my idea.

If Unit 02's design isn't more monstrous, then it should be more alien. I still stick to the idea of the independent eyes and exposed flesh, but the movements should, I guess, just look fluid and inhuman. Maybe not enraged, but certainly not stable, it does contain the later incorporated suicidal fragment of Kyoko's soul after all.

Also, I'd contend that while Unit 01 may act the most beast like and have an Oni horn (I'm not that knowledgeable about legends like that so I'm not sure of the significance), it certainly looks the most human. The gnashing teeth only look monstrous because, well, they're gnashing and only exposed in a berserk. The helmet also looks more like an actual helmet instead of part of the Unit's body, like something that's actually worn. Also, it just makes a kind of storyline sense for Gendo to make the Eva unit containing Yui look the most human.
According to Seele, Tang is the ultimate form of life. I guess that means the astronauts are committing genocide all the time then.

Elect G-Max
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Elect G-Max » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:02 pm

This was just a great thread until Reichu posted in it :facepalm:
"Whatever the story or the development of the characters, I made them without a plan... We only started working on the next script once the previous one was done." - Anno, 1996

"Sometimes, putting your toothbrush in its holder upside down can express your feelings towards life in general, your secret desire to commit suicide, the feelings for your long-lost mother that you never got to know, and your favorite color. But sometimes that toothbrush is simply a toothbrush." - Nuclear Lunchbox

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”