3.0 Film Reaction Thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:28 pm

Given what you're saying Warren, it seems like WILLE don't feel outright hatred toward Shinji, but more of a deep contempt laced with an heavy dose of passive-aggressiveness, I will try to make an analogy :

Let's imagine a platoon of soldiers or firefighters, they do their dangerous missions, have to trust one each-other to accomplish their mission and stay alive.
But one day during an important mission, one of the members of the group acts recklessly thinking he was doing something heroic(charging the enemy lines, going inside the flaming building without support...) and screw-up, and hard. As a result, people died because of this guy.
Now it wasn't intentional, the guy really tough he was doing the right thing and had the best intentions, but it don't change the fact he screwed up and people died. The rest of the platoon/firefighter team know he didn't had nefarious intents, they don't hate him like a criminal who shot his own comrades for pleasure or set the building on fire, but they will feel utter contempt for this guy who screwed up made made the whole team to pay the price.
They lost their trust on him, won't consider him as a part of the team anymore, will try anything to make him leave the team and generally they will make him clearly feel that they can't really stand him anymore.
On top of that guy was already a "black sheep" before the accident : a guy with talent and potential, but who lack nerves and self-restrain and thus already brought problems to the team.

Well ladies and gentlemen, that seems to be exactly Shinji's situation in 3.0 : he screwed up veeeeeeery hard(or at least the people at WILLE have this feeling, wherever Shinji actually could have done anything else against Zeruel is irrelevant here), many people died because of this(euphemism!), he already was a difficult element back then(untrained, very instable, lacking discipline, and let's not forget his little tantrum after the EVA-03 incident!) but they had to cope with it because he was "naturally" talented(thanks Mom!) and they didn't have any choice.
And on top of it while everyone seems to have "matured", or at least considerably hardened in these past 14 years(even if Asuka's tantrum against Shinji seemed a little childish in my opinion), Shinji is still a "pre-N3I" boy with a pre-teen mentality who doesn't fit with the survivalist, militaristic no-nonsense mindset of everyone on the Wunder.
They won't try to eviscerate him at first glance like a Nazi, but they don't support his presence anymore, and they show him it clearly with their cold shoulder.

At least it offer Shinji hopes to gain back their trust, but it will take time and effort, and with his stunt at the end of 3.0 he's already starting badly...

Damn! And I said I won't come back here until I actually saw the movie... :facepalm:
Last edited by ElMariachi on Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:47 pm

Well, whether hatred or "deep contempt laced with an heavy dose of passive-aggressiveness", Wille is Downton Abbey and Shinji's a footman at the dinner table. It's not just Lady Pinkie who disapproves of his ways.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:44 pm

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:Well, whether hatred or "deep contempt laced with an heavy dose of passive-aggressiveness", Wille is Downton Abbey and Shinji's a footman at the dinner table. It's not just Lady Pinkie who disapproves of his ways.
By Downton Abbey, you mean the British series right? So that would make Shinji the Matthew Crawley of WILLE?
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:30 pm

I was thinking Branson more: prone to passionate idealism which overrides his brain, recklessly pursuing a single woman without any thought to the consequences, and can be really effing annoying.

One bridge character NOT shown giving Shinji the stink eye? Burly oldy baldy guy (I think that's his name). Is he willing to cut the kid some slack? And also Aoba. He's got tons of time to play guitar now.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:30 pm

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:Before Midori, there's a shot of (I think) Hyuga staring at him (and signaling the spooky music). After Midori, the black woman seems to be glancing over her shoulder (admittedly, the cam rip is murky on that, but it would be a really weird shot if she isn't looking). Then, in the distance behind Shinji, Sakura with a pitying if more sympathetic stare. Shinji seems freaked out by the bad vibes and looks up at Misato/Ritsuko, who have their backs to him, talking as if he's not there. That the control room hates this kid is among the clearest things in Q.

Sumire never looks at Shinji, and the control room's opinion on him is anything but clear. Midori hates him, Hyuga looks at him with an unreadable expression, and that's it. Nobody else in the supporting cast looks at him or pays him any mind during the scene (apart from Sakura, of course, who is clearly sympathetic). Also, while Shinji generally appeared confused and disoriented he did not seem to be freaked out by the bridge crew's reactions to him. Indeed, he didn't even seem to notice them.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:19 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Sumire never looks at Shinji, and the control room's opinion on him is anything but clear. Midori hates him, Hyuga looks at him with an unreadable expression, and that's it. Nobody else in the supporting cast looks at him or pays him any mind during the scene (apart from Sakura, of course, who is clearly sympathetic). Also, while Shinji generally appeared confused and disoriented he did not seem to be freaked out by the bridge crew's reactions to him. Indeed, he didn't even seem to notice them.

When Shinji first arrives in the control room and gets up from the bed/table. Sumire and the guy next to her give a quick, less than thrilled glace at his direction.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:42 pm

I give anyone under the age of 18 that stare every day. Unless proven otherwise teenagers are terrible terrible people.

The Wunder crew acted rationally towards Shinji considering what they were dealing with at the time - being attacked by giant Artificial Angels & launching their mothership for the first time - & all the overreaction was from Shinji's side.

Of course in 4.0 when Misato bares her soul to Shinji in a fit of tears - most likely before dying - everyone will stop calling her a villain.

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:47 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:49 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:When Shinji first arrives in the control room and gets up from the bed/table. Sumire and the guy next to her give a quick, less than thrilled glace at his direction.

That's Midori and Hyuga.

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:Though I jest, I'm never getting used to it. It just ain't right.

Not like it was ever right with Asuka. :shrug: Least she has company now.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:52 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:That's Midori and Hyuga.

Keep watching, it snaps to Sumire and Kohji right after them.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:01 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:Keep watching, it snaps to Sumire and Kohji right after them.

Just rewatched and . . . nope. There's a brief shot of Sumire, but she doesn't look back.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:05 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Just rewatched and . . . nope. There's a brief shot of Sumire, but she doesn't look back.

We're talking about this shot right?
SPOILER: Show

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:25 pm

Oh wow, that's a lot clearer than it is in my copy. Can't even see it in mine! Fair enough then, I stand corrected.

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:33 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:45 pm

Perhaps while Shinji was in his coma for 14 years his body continued to exist in this physical plane, to use Ritsuko speak. If that's the case then Shinji hasn't taken a proper bath & has stewed in his own recycled LCL stink for 14 years. The kid might very well just reek. Hence the nasty stares.

That's my story & I'm sticking to it. Lol

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:48 pm

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:Well they're looking back out of the corner of their eyes at something going on on their bridge. They're certainly not glaring, for the purposes of this discussion it's irrelevant. Shinji shouldn't even be able to tell if they're looking at him at all, let alone remembering how far back and away he is from them.

I wouldn't go that far. While it's true Shinji shouldn't be able to see them (and thus it wouldn't have any effect on his state of mind) the way that shot's framed, and the way they're looking back, suggests a negative impression. If it's even clearer in the BD version I expect Anno might have been trying to convey the general mood of the ship with that shot.

Does it change the argument? Not necessarily. But it does mean things are a bit more ambivalent than I thought.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:33 am

Maybe along the minor fixes in 3.33 there will be a redrawn version of this scene to make it less ambiguous... unless that's what Anno wanted here, to make it ambiguous what the Control Bridge is thinking of him(or if there even paid him any attention)

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:49 am

I didn't think it was ambiguous at all. Nobody there besides Sakura and maybe a clinically apathetic Ritsuko seemed to want to be around him. The camrip's quality is just really terrible.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:40 am

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:Well they're looking back out of the corner of their eyes at something going on on their bridge. They're certainly not glaring, for the purposes of this discussion it's irrelevant. Shinji shouldn't even be able to tell if they're looking at him at all, let alone remembering how far back and away he is from them.

If it's shown to us, then we are supposed to know something. I believe that the shot was for the benefit of the audience, if Shinji couldn't see their faces in the first place.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:31 pm

It's even more overt than I thought... Burly Oldy Baldy is also cold-shouldering him.

Sagisu really shines here with that icy cue. There's also a lovely strings variant on the OST.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”