Newtype USA Feb 2007 Eva article Transcript

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
GoJu
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby GoJu » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:54 pm

I can't wait for this thing to come!

does anyone have any info if it will hit theatres in the US when it comes here? if anything I can wait till it hits youtube, lol!

PS - Rei's not a mother dammit! (sorry, heheh), I do agree they did the teen romance (if you can call it that in eva) very unique.

Lleonard Pler
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Lleonard Pler » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:23 am

Will Lillith's mask also be changed? I can't imagine her with an Apple & Snake in the face. :lol:

I doubt that they will change Kaworu's genre (well, as an Angel he is not strictly male or female, but I guess we agree that he looks like a male). Fans of Kaworu, doujinshis, yaoi and bishonen would attack Gainax Headquarters. Even Shinji may go vacant if they make his beloved one a tramp. :lol:

This project looks both amazing and scary. I'm afraid they are creating a naïf, light-hearted version of the series, thus destroying what made it so special.

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Re: Newtype USA Feb 2007 Eva article Transcript

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:20 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Kaworu Nagisa
In the orginal TV series, the Fifth Child, Kaworu, was sent by SEELE to inflitrate NERV headquarters. Despite only appearing in one episode (episode 24), he left a lasting impression on viewers. He'll be a very important figure in the new film series, and is expected to show up at the beginning of the first installment. Rumor has it his appearnace will turn heads!

ap·pear·ance /əˈpɪərəns/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[uh-peer-uhns] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. the act or fact of appearing, as to the eye or mind or before the public
—Idioms
9. make an appearance, to come; arrive
10. put in an appearance, to attend a gathering or meeting, esp. for a very short time

I severely doubt this is female Kaworu, it's most likely how he shows up will be different.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:34 pm

....I fucking hate my spell checker. Seriously. >_< It's acting fucking stupid. Clearly, it hates me.Image

@ cat42: f-Kaworu isn't a difference in appearance?
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:58 pm

SSD, would you be able to check the things I highlighted (it included some punctuation, too) and make a corrected version? That would make me very happy. Image

Regarding this "appearance" business -- the Japanese ought to resolve the matter.

しかもかなり衝撃的な姿だとか......!?
Shika mo kanari shougekiteki na sugata da to ka......!?

Ignoring the existence of an annoying ender like とか, the rest literally says, "Furthermore, it will be a very shocking appearance/form." (Okay, I know that sounds dodgy. Leave me alone.)

Sailor Star Dust wrote:@ cat42: f-Kaworu isn't a difference in appearance?

Well, nothing is different from what we actually see of Kaworu in the show -- so I guess it would depend on how you want to interpret 姿.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Otaprince
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Otaprince » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:25 am

-------------------
Last edited by Otaprince on Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:31 am

There were some big images actually. The first parts have Asuka, Shinji (holding PenPen), Misato, and Kaji on it and the second part has Gendo doing his glasses thing, the wieny boy Kaworu, a bandaged up Rei, and Ritsuko. I probably could scan them but it might take a while as I probably am not going to be back online for today.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:37 pm

Otaprince wrote:thx, Sailor-- were there no images with the Newtype article?

Yay, it's Otaprince, the Gainax Pages webmaster! ^_^ I love your site! (Yeah, I'm even a fangirl towards OTHER FANS. Sad, huh?) There are images, see Evamonkey's The Details Trickle Through article; those were the images used. I hate not having a scanner. :(

@ Reichu: Provided I don't suffer from a massive heartattack due to the amount of schoolwork I have (freaking college!) I'll get it on sometime this weekend. :wink:

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:24 pm

It is the weekend, afterall, so because I worship the e-ground Reichu virutally walks on, here ya go:

YAY Fixed Newtype transcript wrote:Transcribed by yours truly, so PLEASE credit me if you post this anywhere! Sailor Star Dust, [email protected], http://www.fanfiction.net/~sailorstardust1

Anything in violet =my personal comments/thoughts

Back to Basics: Last Year's shocking announcement that four new Evangelion movies were under development threw the anime community into an uproar. (O RLY? :?) As we speculate on what roles our favorite characters will play in the new production, producer Toshimichi Otsuki discusses the current state of the project and what fans can expect from the film series.

Shinji Ikari: In the original series, the 14-year-old Shinji was the Third Child and the pilot of Evangelion Unit 01. The first installment of the new movie series will focus on how he meets Rei and Misato. Just like in the TV series, his mental state will have a significant impact on the storyline.
(*cue twitching, bugged-eye, Post-3I Shinji :twisted: )

Misato Katsuragi: Misato is in charge of tactical operations at the NERV command center, but in private, the 29 year old is a total slacker who loves beer more than anything else. Her cheerful antics are expected to give the new movies a touch of lighthearted fun. (Huh?! So does this mean no EoE type angsty-seriousness? At least, not until the final film??)

Ryoji Kaji: On the surface, the suave Ryoji looks like a nice, normal thirty-something office worker, but in the original storyline he was actually a spy who was triple-crossing the Japanese government, NERV (the international organization that builds and operates the Eva units), and SEELE (a secret underground group that holds the true power behind NERV). Ryoji is determined to uncover NERV and SEELE's secret plans. His romantic relationship with Misato will be prominently featured in the films. (Ooh, baby!)

Asuka Langely Sohryu: Fans of the TV Series remember the Second Child as the brass and fiery pilot of the Evangelion Unit 02. She bullied Shinji around, but her cutesy energy earned her many fans who eagerly anticipate her return. Let's pray she has an easier go of it this time around. (Asuka, cutesy? She's cute-looking and certainly determined when she sets out to do something, but I don't know if I'd call her cutesy... ^^; )

One of the original series' biggest attractions was the juxtaposition of intense battles and normal school life, so fans should be delighted to learn that Shinji's classmates Toji, Kensuke, and Hikari are all expected to return in the new films. NERV staff members Maya, Makoto, and Shigeru, will also make appearances. Word is their personalities will remain unchanged. ~Shinji has a troubled life, but his goofball friends Toji and Kensuke help him relax. ~Shigeru Aoba (front) and Makoto Hyuga (back) both work at the NERV command center. They constantly butt heads, but deep down, they're good friends. Am I the only one who remembers no such thing of them "butting heads"??

A new direction after 12 years

Production is proceeding apace on the new Evangelion movies, with promo material and storyboards for the first installment all ready to go. Producer Toshimichi Otsuki points out that some of the show's main themes can be inferred from the promo posters that have been released so far. "There are two main posters," Otsuki explains. "The first is by character designer Yoshiyuki Sadamoto, who also did the TV series, and it makes the show look like a school drama. In fact, it's so cheerful and campus-y, it's hard to believe it's really Eva! All of Shinji's classmates are there and you could say it represents the central theme of the new series. The other poster uses live-action sci-fi shows as a visual motif. It was done by Makoto Kamiya, a special effects director who's worked on films like Bokoku no aegis (2005) and Sinking of Japan (2006). The art looks very realistic, but it feels like something out of a dream--the Unit 01 standing tall amid a retro cityscape that looks like Japan sometime around 1970, when the World's Fair was held in Osaka. Both posters show a scorching summer day." It's been more than 12 years since the original TV series hit Japanese airwaves, and we've heard over and over that they're taking a very different approach with the story. How will that carry over into the visuals? "They'll be pretty crazy," Otsuki laughs. "Anno is completely absorbed in the project. We're taking full advantage of 3D CG technology that wasn't available 12 years ago. The amount of visual information in each frame will be enormous--our staff members are almost overwhelmed. You might have to watch the climax of the first installment three or more times to catch all of it. It'll be out in Japan this summer."

Ah, yes, the world of endless summer that lets a boy grow, mentioned in the Refrain of Evangelion booklet. Wonder if pics of said posters are online anywhere? And I thought GAINAX said the first film will actually be released this fall instead of this summer??

The storyboards for the first movie have already been finished and sent off to the animators, so show director Hideaki Anno is already plotting out the scenario for the second film. Other names from the first series, including Masayuki, and Kazuya Tsurumaki, are also busily working away.
"Masayuki managed to come on board earlier than expected. He's on a tight schedule, so we weren't sure if he'd be able to join us. But he's already attending the script meetings, and the studio atmosphere is pretty lively overall. Masayuki and Kazuya Tsurumaki are co-directing the first installment, which makes the staff roster for the new movies almost identical to that of the series. That makes me very happy." The Evangelion TV series instantly transformed the GAINAX staff into some of the most famous anime creators of all time, and Otsuki isn't the only one who's delighted to see them reunited and returning to their roots. Fans around the world are looking forward to their fresh interpretation of one of the most popular and controversial anime series ever produced.

Again, WHAT controversy? The supposed EoTV vs EoE debate (despite the fact it IS the same ending??) I really don't understand what people say when they mean Eva=controversial. Somebody please fill me in here! >_<

New Trials: The original band of Evangelion creators have reunited in the hope of bringing about the next revolution in anime. Producer Toshimichi Otsuki promises top-notch animation and interesting twists that will impress fans old and new. I'm getting scared now...that sounds a bit too much like the promise of the official manga. O_o

Ritsuko Akagi
Misato's longtime friend, Ritsuko is a technical engineer at NERV. She's bright and always composed, so it's easy to see why she was chosen to lead the Eva developmental team. However, Ritsuko has a darker side--something to do with the relationship between her, her mother and Gendo.

Rei Ayanami
The mysterious Rei pilots the Evangelion Unit 00. Highlights in the new movies are likely to be her first encounter with Shinji and the honest smile of relief she displays after competing the exhausting Operation Yashima.

Kaworu Nagisa
In the original TV series, the Fifth Child, Kaworu, was sent by SEELE to infiltrate NERV headquarters. Despite only appearing in one episode (episode 24), he left a lasting impression on viewers. He'll be a very important figure in the new film series, and is expected to show up at the beginning of the first installment. Rumor has it his appearance will turn heads! ZOMG, Female Kaworu theory at work?! :shock: :twisted:

Gendo Ikari
Gendo is the commander of NERV, and comes across as a bad father because of the unreasonable orders he gave to his son Shinji. He's supposed to know all the secrets surrounding NERV and the Evas, but he never revealed them in the original TV series. It's unlikely that has cold-fish attitude will be any different in the new movies.

Operation Yashima
Operation Yashima was one of the many memorable combat scenes in the original Evangelion.
In it, Misato planned a sneak attack on the fifth Angel, Rammiel, using a long-range electronic sniper rifle powered by all (yes, all) of the electricity in Japan. We can't wait to see how this will play out with today's cutting edge technology.
~NERV's Magi supercomputer estimated that Shinji and Rei's probability of success was only 8.7%, but their superb collaboration successfully closed the book on Rammiel.
~After the close of the intense battle against the fifth Angel, Rei tells Shinji she doesn't know what to do or feel.

Not just a remake
Toshimichi Otsuki and his staff seem to know exactly where they're going with the new Evangelion movies, but the rest of us are still in the dark. Luckily, he was willing to describe some of the changes we can look forward to. "Apparently Hideaki Anno, the director, wasn't satisfied with how the original episode 6--"Showdown in Tokyo-3"--turned out," Otsuki comments. "There were technical limitations that bothered him back then, and for the new movies he wants to reanimate all of the Operation Yashima scenes from scratch. He's already appointed Shinji Higuchi to do the storyboards. Their position rifle used there has been modified--there are new Self Defense Force markings, and it's not exactly combat-ready. The operation is just one of the many fight scenes in the TV series, but it'll be the climax of the first movie." Shinji Higuchi recently directed the live-action film Sinking of Japan, famous for it's incredible depiction of earthquakes leveling city after city throughout Japan. If we dare expect to see animation on that scale, it might be fair to dub the first movie. "The Blackout of Japan"! After all, in the TV version, Operation Yashima drained electricity from every single generator in the country and left the nation enveloped in darkness. But Otsuki stresses that the new movies are much more than technically advanced versions of the same old story. "They are most certainly not merely scaled-up versions of the TV series.," he says. "Anno already had many of the basic ideas and images in mind 12 years ago. We're just realizing his vision more thoroughly. At least that's our plan for the first installment." Their new movies are supposed to introduce a new character, but it look's like that character's identity won't be revealed until the second installment. But if hearsay is anything to go by, various other subtle yet conceptually significant design changes will become obvious much earlier. "The basic uniform designs are the same, but the NERV and SEELE emblems are different," Otsuki explains. "Ikuto Yamashita came up with the new designs, which use an apple motif." The new NERV emblem will be a partially eaten Apple, while the SEELE one is composed of an apple and a serpent--a clear reference to Adam and Eve's exile from paradise. Religious symbols played a significant role in the original TV series, and they were responsible for much of the buzz surrounding it. Noo! Pointless religious symbolism=bad! Please please please let Anno be fucking with our minds! >_< So will the story of the serpent tricking Eve into eating from the tree of knowledge of good and evil tie into the plot somehow? Apparently, we'll just have to wait and see. But lucky for us, the first installment is well on it's way, and production of the second installment is already going full-force, with Junichi Sato (Sailor Moon, Sgt. Frog) drawing up the storyboards. The new movies have been significantly modified from their 1990s-era counterparts, but they're expected to appeal to hardcore devotees of the original TV series and new generation of anime fans alike, so expectations of it are running across the board. It won't be long before this classic masterpiece comes back to life!

Yay for Sato working on this (believe he did the storyboards for the series, too ^_^) but boo if the new character's a love interest for Shinji. I really hope it WON'T be Mana or Mayumi, because while that worked for games, I don't see how it would work for this movies. Besides, Rei and Asuka being his potential love interests worked out great because it wasn't cliché (more on my POV about that in a later post.) Who knows, maybe the new character will be Kaji's killer! lol ^^;

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:13 pm

Hunter21 wrote:I probably could scan them but it might take a while as I probably am not going to be back online for today.

http://www.evacommentary.org/images_pubs/newtype_2006-11_p92.jpg
http://www.evacommentary.org/images_pubs/newtype_2006-11_p93.jpg
http://www.evacommentary.org/images_pubs/newtype_2006-11_p94.jpg
http://www.evacommentary.org/images_pubs/newtype_2006-11_p95.jpg

...although I certainly wouldn't mind some scans of the English version for my archives.

Sailor Star Dust wrote:It is the weekend, afterall, so because I worship the e-ground Reichu virutally walks on, here ya go

"I'm honored."
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Otaprince
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Otaprince » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:25 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Yay, it's Otaprince, the Gainax Pages webmaster! ^_^ I love your site! (Yeah, I'm even a fangirl towards OTHER FANS. Sad, huh?)

lol thanks! I hereby nominate you the Mana of the forum-- so nice that you must have some secret agenda, like infiltrating the Gainax Pages forums to recover your missing pilot friend ^_^

Sailor Star Dust wrote:There are images, see Evamonkey's The Details Trickle Through article

ahh, thx-- I was hoping to see those two posters mentioned by Otsuki, but I guess we just gotta be patient.

Lleonard Pler
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Lleonard Pler » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:08 pm

Reichu wrote:http://www.evacommentary.org/images_pubs/newtype_2006-11_p92.jpg
http://www.evacommentary.org/images_pubs/newtype_2006-11_p93.jpg
http://www.evacommentary.org/images_pubs/newtype_2006-11_p94.jpg
http://www.evacommentary.org/images_pubs/newtype_2006-11_p95.jpg

Who drew these things? They look so... ugly. I kind of like the new Kaworu, Rei and Ritsuko... but Shinji, Kaji, Gendo and Asuka look dumb, drawn by an amateur, they look much worse than in that "Angelic Days" manga (and that's saying a lot). :evil:

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:18 pm

Lleonard Pler wrote:Who drew these things? They look so... ugly. I kind of like the new Kaworu, Rei and Ritsuko... but Shinji, Kaji, Gendo and Asuka look dumb, drawn by an amateur, they look much worse than in that "Angelic Days" manga (and that's saying a lot). :evil:

The illustrations were done by Shunji Suzuki, part of the original animation team and a regular contributor of NGE illustrations.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:35 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:It is the weekend, afterall, so because I worship the e-ground Reichu virutally walks on Image, here ya go:

Fixed!
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

Milton
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Milton » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:31 pm

Hi guy, first off let me introduce, my name is Milton, I'm from Portugal so my english is not very good :( *ahem* anyway, like you I "love" Evangelion and this announcement made me very exited :) thank you Sailor Star Dust for making that translation.. and I may have something to add (or maybe not) I saw this on the net Image and I thought it's maybe one of these poster, or maybe it's just some fan art hope you like ;) and let's hope the rebuild is worth it

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:40 pm

Milton wrote:I saw this on the net

It's a fan-created wallpaper. The EVA-02 in the background is from an old NGE illo. I dunno what the source of the one in the foreground is, but it looks like another official illo to me, albeit non-Rebuild related.

FYI, introductions are made in Off-Topic.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:43 pm

Ah one day soon (I would preferably hope sooner than soon-like right now) there will be an actual still image of how the new EVA films look. Are they going for the more angular and adult looking appearance of the films? Or are they going for the more cherubic (Spelled wrong I'm sure) rounder appearance of the anime.
Or (and most likely) are they going for a whole new look entirerly. So the plug suits look the same, that's good. Are the people!? If Sadamoto is still the character designer is he going to keep the manga look or is he going to adopt more of the cutesy styles of characters like Nono from "Diebuster"?

And if the first movie ends with Operation Yashima does that mean they're going to bring in Asuka at all in the first film? I'm a Rei fan but as great as the series was and is there is a great breath of fresh air when she adds a little humor to the series....for a while.

Frankly I could do without Kaworu for a while. He's a great character for the screentime he had but I could very easily see him getting annoying with excess screentime....kind of like how he is in all the manga adaptions and everything else.

....and why is Kaworu loved so much? Are the homo-sidekicks that big a deal? He's a good character but not one of my faves, he's certainly my least favorite Eva Pilot-Toji included.

Sorry....I ranted.

Milton
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Milton » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:44 pm

ups.. uhh.. sorry.. I tried to make all in one post.. (presentation plus thought about topic) didnt go that well :( again sorry and thanks for clearing that up

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:27 pm

Milton wrote:ups.. uhh.. sorry.. I tried to make all in one post..

'Salright. Not everybody gravitates to the Off-Topic subforum when they first arrive (if they do at all), but it's a better place for intros and all.

Gendo'sPapa wrote:Frankly I could do without Kaworu for a while. He's a great character for the screentime he had but I could very easily see him getting annoying with excess screentime....kind of like how he is in all the manga adaptions and everything else.

Sadamoto's manga = very different version of Kaworu.
(Most) everything else = version of Kaworu catering to what the fans want

Kaworu has a bounty of unexplored nooks and crannies (in before perverts). If they tapped those (no pun intended, honest!), and remained true to the essence of the character as established in #24, I don't see how she would be annoying at all.

....and why is Kaworu loved so much? Are the homo-sidekicks that big a deal?

I don't recall NGE having any "homo-sidekicks".
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Res Novae
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Res Novae » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:25 pm

Reichu wrote:I don't recall NGE having any "homo-sidekicks".

Huh? We all know Fuyutsuki was itching for some Ikari action, and I'm not talking about Yui or Shinji.
"There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself."

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”