[NO SPOILERS] Evangelion 3.33 on Blu-ray and DVD April 24th

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:15 pm

View Original PostJadley wrote:i am pretty sure if they've used Japanese camrips, they wouldn't mind using a Japanese BD/DVD.

Yeah, I figured. I'm just a bit confused as to why The Grand Duke of Yashima was mentioning the HK BD/DVD release at all....
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

K40s
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby K40s » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:36 pm

Question: what is this God Warrior short thing I keep reading about? does it have anything to do with evangelion at all or is it just Anno using NME to insert a shameless plug to promote a new completely unrelated to evangelion project of his?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:38 pm

http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00BHO0FK8/
http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00BHO0GWK/

Or CD Japan:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=KIBA-2015
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=KIXA-290
Last edited by Ornette on Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xtr00kvltcorex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby xtr00kvltcorex » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:44 pm

I'm so happy I could cry...like this movie made me do, except out of overwhelming sadness.
I’m spinning
Faster than the earth
I’m shining
Brighter than the stars

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:03 pm

DAYUMMMM
I thought we were gonna have to wait until at least next fall for a DVD release.

If this is any indication, the production process may be moving along a lot faster than we'd anticipated. I still don't think we're getting a 4.0 release this year.....maybe on the 31st of December if anything.

I do expect there to be at least SOME new material regarding 4.0 come april 24th, at the most a new 15/30 second trailer or a release date.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:03 pm

Btw, interesting that there's no mention of a film strip bonus, and also, shipping to the U.S. is around 700 yen, so about 7 dollars, or around $16-18 for express.

Already pre-ordered mine from CD Japan just because I already have an account there.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:08 pm

I wonder if they're pumping out a release for 3.0 this early, then maybe it means they don't have to stall for time to figure out the script for 4.0. Could it be possible that perhaps the entire final half of the series was scripted out in the 3 and a half years between 2.0 and 3.0?
Last edited by Guy Nacks on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:10 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:interesting that there's no mention of a film strip bonus

Nevermind, I looked at my order confirmation and it says:

"*First Press Bonus"

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:35 pm

My order is already put in. First Press Bonus.

AND I've got an in with a large movie theater through a colleague & can't wait to play that Bluray (the USA & Japan share the same BD region) on one of their big ass screens!

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:47 pm

View Original PostK40s wrote:Question: what is this God Warrior short thing I keep reading about? does it have anything to do with evangelion at all or is it just Anno using NME to insert a shameless plug to promote a new completely unrelated to evangelion project of his?

The film is based on the God Warriors from the manga and anime film Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, the film directed by Hayo Miyazaki (he's also the creator of the manga). The God Warriors were biomechinal weapons and were one of the direct inspirations the Anno based the Eva units on (In fact, it was Anno who did the animation for the scene with the God Warrior in the film). The Ghibli Museum had an exhibition on the history of tokusatu or special effects in Japenese film and televison (examples would be Godzilla movies or Power Rangers shows). Anno made a ten minute film about a God Warrior attacking Tokyo using pre-CGI techniques for the museum, and that is what is included with 3.33.

On topic, I'm glad the Japanese release of 3.33 is going to be at a much faster pace then with previous installments. I'm wondering now if there is a chance that we might see a US relase this year yet (I'm thinking that after Thanksgiving but before New Years could be reasonable). Now, we all know that there is a lag time of ususally six months at least due to concerns Japanese companies have of reverse importation. But I also wonder if there will be other concerns that would delay it into next year such as Khara demanding a threatical release here. At any rate, we'll probably have some idea by the time Comic-Con or Anime Expo rolls around. Even at the rate things are going, it still kind of sucks that we have to wait. If the Japanese release had English subtitles, this would have been an easy preorder for me with all the advertised extras that come with it.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:50 pm

Pre-ordered from amazon.co.jp. They've served me well for 1.11 and 2.22 BDs.

This week's chart should be quite hilarious.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Oenara
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Oenara » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:54 pm

Wow, color me surprised and impressed - I would’ve thought Khara would enjoy 3.0’s theatrical success for a bit longer, compared to 1.0 and 2.0.

On the bright side, exhale at having just two months of dodging spoilers left to go. But, yeah, sharing the disappointment at the lack of extra footage. Admittedly, I’m going off of spoilerless reviews and the few spoilers I’ve encountered, but it seems as if 3.0 could really use more time. It’s already the shortest film of NTE, and I’ve read that a lot of reviewers consider it too rushed.

To those who can read press releases in Japanese, will there be any edits made to the theatrical release?

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:48 am

Awesome news!

Not sure why some think the lack of new scenes is such a big deal, though. Would I like a different cut? Absolutely, but the added material in 1.0/2.0 has been the definition of minor. The most substantial addition (Kaji at the station) is nice, but it hardly changes the movie. The rest is mostly a barely perceptible extension that's what she said.

Maybe Anno should have

SPOILER: Show
held back Maya's appearance, or a few Wunder shots or something. Then we'd be oohing and ahhing over them on home video :lol:

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:02 am

View Original PostOenara wrote:I’ve read that a lot of reviewers consider it too rushed.

I didn't feel that movie was rushed, it felt "shoter" because it was slow paced, and had "less" plot.(compared to 2.0) The large portion of the film had Shinji and Kaworu interacting with each other.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:05 am

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:(Kaji at the station) is nice, but it hardly changes the movie.

3.0  SPOILER: Show
In retrospect, it might have changed the movie more than we thought.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:22 am

That's a cool observation, but...

SPOILER: Show
I don't see how it changes anything, least of all the movie the line's in. Point is, people who dislike Q seem to be hoping a special edition would radically alter the movie for them, but that's not what these additions have been about. They're tweaks.

jimmiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby jimmiel » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:27 am

I keep thinking of things I'd like to see more of, but I realise Anno's already given us a keen, vivid insight into it anyway. For example,
mild Q spoiler  SPOILER: Show
Misato and Ritsuko's relationship in their personal and professional capacities
comes through powerfully and subtly without real need for dialogue conveying it in a more obvious way. Anything that would be added would probably be unexpected or just more scenery/action shots that are there to look cool.
Qui veut faire l'ange fait la bête.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:30 am

Also, just because the running time is the same doesn't mean there aren't any alternations. Misato's cartoonish reaction to Kaji in the cafeteria was reanimated for 2.22 without extending the scene.

GetOvaDaBridge
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby GetOvaDaBridge » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:13 am

Well, this kinda makes the trip to that Art Exhibition Tour seem superfluous for us Aussie Eva fans.

Disregarding that little factoid, I cannot wait. :yippee:

darthikari
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby darthikari » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:02 am

I can't wait! I bought the film cel versions for the first two (got a pic of operation Yashima, and a pic of Hyuga from 1&2). I wonder how long it will be until the Hong Kong release on blu-ray, as I recall, it was a couple of months later for 1.11 and 2.22. I own both since they came with English subtitles.
"I've had recurring nightmares, that I was loved for who I am, and missed the opportunity to be a better man..."

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”