[Game] Neon Genesis Evangelion 2: Another Cases

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
System Shocker
Lilith

[Game] Neon Genesis Evangelion 2: Another Cases

•      
  •      

Postby System Shocker » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:43 pm

Wondering what other people think of it. I got it for psp, but don't own an actual psp. It came out a little while after the forums shut down, and I haven't heard what anyone thinks of it. It seems exactly the kind of game I would want to play, being all set in that altrenate universe and stuff. Seems like it ouwld be a great experience.

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:30 am

I thought Another Cases isnt a Girlfriend of Steel game, isn't it the Neon Genesis Evangelion 2 game ported to PSP and is set in the normal NGE Universe.

I havn't played it yet, I do own a PSP and I'd love to get the game, just the fact that it's in Japanese is stopping me. I did e-mail Bandai to ask if it would ever be released outside of Japan but that went nowhere. It looks pretty interesting though.

defiate
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby defiate » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:19 am

I own a PSP and Evangelions 2: Another Cases, as well as the original Evangelions 2 for the PS2, and to be frank, they're not great in terms of gameplay, but interesting in terms of character developments. Most conversation between two people are the same ones reused over and over again (e.g. if I control Shinji and I choose to "chat" with Asuka, a conversation is chosen randomly from a pool which is the same if I chose to chat with Maya).

It's fun to make your character do out of character things (you could control most characters under different scenarios, each prompting a new game), such as making Gendo flirt with Fuyutsuki or make Rei fall in love with Touji, but it gets old quick.

There are lots of unique events you could participate in, such as the cultural fair at Shinji's school and going to the hot springs, and that might reward you with one or two new artworks, but not really worth it. If you could read Japanese there's a whole lot of classified information you could get such as "Gendo's Ambitions" or "The First Ancestral Race" by hacking MAGI when you get a high "Information" skill.

What keeps me playing is the chance to see alternative endings after you beat all 17, or 16 angels and the mass produced harpies in some scenarios such as Kaworu's scenario where he pilots Eva04.

Anyways if you want some kind of reason as to why Bandai will most certainly NOT release this game in English or in the US at all, here is what I said about a year ago:
defiate wrote:I hate being the party pooper, but the chances of there being an English option for NGE2 or it being released in the US is pretty damn close to ZERO.

Why?

Because even though the Japanese release of the PSP itself has the option of English, that is only for the firmware/operating system of the PSP. That has nothing to do with the game. Only Japanese games with sparingly little text such as Lumines (a freakin addictive puzzle game, highly recommended) would change language based on the firmware language setting, and that is still at the mercy of the developer.

NGE2 is an RPG game, which means it has a LOT of text and voices. The developers and publishers would never waste so much time translating all the text to Japanese, let alone the voice. It would cost a buttload of money and time, not to mention proofreading to avoid hilarious and ever entertaining Engrish.

It is not worth playing the game if you don't have decent Japanese because all you're gona get is a background, an inanimate character, their voice, some choices that will affect the storyline and scrolling text with a few action scenes in between to break the ice.

It would take a miracle of Jesus proportions for the game to be released in the US or anywhere outside of Japan for that matter because the target market is... miniscule. You have to admit it, most businesses are there for profit, and NGE2 doesn't seem to promise that for the publishers if it is released in the states. Also, a gigantic majority of Americans will not have the patience to sit down and play what is essentially a reading game. Everyone who is reading this post is an exception to that rule.

I speak out of experience because I am an obsessive gamer who owns an American PSP and about 10 different Japanese games for it. None have an English option, half anime based, and out of those: none released outside Japan. I grew up in Hong Kong, meaning pretty much all the games I have played up until the age of 15 (thats still a lot) were from Japan, and none have English as an option except for huge international releases such as Metal Gear Solid and the Final Fantasy series.

On the other hand, when I get my hands on the PS2 re-release of "Girlfriend of Steel" and the PSP "Neon Genesis Evangelions 2" I promise to start a new thread for each and translate all the nice and juicy plots for everyone:wink:

No hard feelings-
WezKong.

ummm in hindsight there really isn't a plot for Evangelions 2... so I never started a thread :roll:

oh and by the way, the full title of Eva2 for PSP is "新世紀エヴァンゲリオン 2:作られたセカイ -another cases-” which directly translates to "Neon Genesis Evangelion 2: a world that was made -another cases-"

ZeroFive1
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ZeroFive1 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:20 pm

Rei falls in love with toji... XD

System Shocker
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby System Shocker » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:29 am

Pokemon was a sort of reading game. At least I got a lot better at reading from it. All I want is to play in the world of Neon Genesis Evangelion. Sometimes I really wish I was born in Japan. Wonder what the fighting the Eva series scene is like. I was so hyped up about The Matrix Online since I really loved the style of it, but the Wachowski Brothers put most of their work into V for Vendetta and instead The Matrix Online took many turns for the worst. So I could see how even though that game is in the Eva world, it can go really bad too.

defiate
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby defiate » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:35 am

System wrote:Pokemon was a sort of reading game. At least I got a lot better at reading from it.

Wow.... improving reading skills by playing Pokemon. First time I've ever heard that.
Anyways the key differences we are looking at here is that Evangelions2 for the PSP does not have as much action as Pokemon does, and more importantly you play Pokemon cause you "gotta catch 'em all", not cause you want to read.

For the record, I'm not a hater of the Evas2 game- the mass production battle was tense and awesome, lest a little repetetive.

And really, you don't have to be born in Japan to enjoy the Evangelion games... we're in the information age! Just go online to sites like www.yesasia.com and order it (for an inflated price), then go learn some Japanese! Easier said than done I know, but once you learn Japanese it's like holding a key to all things Evangelion (and anime).

Anyways I'm not a big fan of anime and movie based games... they usually end up like what the dog laid on your carpet. (Before it's brought up- Pokemon started as a game. Then came the seizure inducing anime.)

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:48 am

System Shocker wrote:I was so hyped up about The Matrix Online since I really loved the style of it, but the Wachowski Brothers put most of their work into V for Vendetta and instead The Matrix Online took many turns for the worst.

Except Matrix Online failed because SOE Bought it and decided to sack the Live Events Team, therefore giving Factions nothing to work towards and just making it into a Levelling up game with no real aim. I actually fought against one of the characters from the storyline and it was awesome, fair enough that I died but it was awesome.

I can imagine the game will be fun for fans of Eva only if it was released outside of Japan. Did the game go down well in Japan or was it considered to be a failure?

defiate
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby defiate » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:37 am

The Matrix Online died also because it was buggy and hoarded system resources. If the publisher balanced out the budget between programming and storytelling/franchising then we would have an awesome game (but trust me, you'll get sick of the color green after a month or so.)

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:19 am

defiate wrote:The Matrix Online died also because it was buggy and hoarded system resources. If the publisher balanced out the budget between programming and storytelling/franchising then we would have an awesome game (but trust me, you'll get sick of the color green after a month or so.)

I didnt have so much trouble on my end but I found it to be very very very laggy when they made it into only 3 Servers. The missions were also repetitive, but it started to go downhill when SOE took it.

Ryousanki King
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ryousanki King » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:54 am

Just curious, but can you control any of the harpies in this game, or is that impossible?
Currently: Working on some comics + Photoshopping some new avatars

defiate
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby defiate » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:46 pm

Sorry, impossible. I have the full guidebook in front of me and there is no method to control the harpies.

Ryousanki King
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ryousanki King » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:10 pm

Aw, that's a shame. Oh well. ~crosses it off his list of possible PSP purchases~

defiate
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby defiate » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:13 pm

haha big harpie fanboy I see?
well don't cross it off your list so quickly! it's still an interesting game if you're not just into piloting the robots.

ever want to pilot eva 04? it's possible in this game.

System Shocker
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby System Shocker » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:55 pm

Well, I bittorrented Another Cases when it came out, but I don't own a PSP. So that idea is out

Ryousanki King
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ryousanki King » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:04 pm

defiate wrote:haha big harpie fanboy I see?
well don't cross it off your list so quickly! it's still an interesting game if you're not just into piloting the robots.

ever want to pilot eva 04? it's possible in this game.

I suppose you could say that, yes - I'm somewhat obsessed with them (earning me the moniker I'm using as my username, lol). I might still consider it since EVA-03 and 04 are pretty awesome, plus Kaworu pilots 04, but....I'm still kinda up in the air about it. Then again, harpies do appear, even if they're not controllable. :P

Lleonard Pler
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Lleonard Pler » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:15 am

Sorry to reply in such an old topic, but I don't think that I should open a new one for that:

Defiate: Do you know how to get a "Scenario Clear" in Misato's scenario? I pass through the assassination scenes in the end, I have beaten the Eva Series with either Asuka-only and Asuka and Shinji alive... I watch the best ending (according to the official guide)... but still, when I save the system data after the credits, the title of Misato's scenario appears in grey, not in blue like the scenarios I already completed. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Now I'm playing PenPen's scenario, which is fun as hell even not being allowed to exit Misato's flat. :lol:

zephyr72
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby zephyr72 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:38 pm

defiate wrote:
System wrote:Pokemon was a sort of reading game. At least I got a lot better at reading from it.

Wow.... improving reading skills by playing Pokemon. First time I've ever heard that.

is that so unusual, after all it is an RPG game that is played by many young kids who are at the age where they are just getting reading down. Pokemon had a lot of reading in it compared to other kid oriented games. It probably helped me with reading too.

Anyway, is the PSP version any different than the PS2 version?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:18 pm

If you want help with this game, the topic at Game FAQS is probably the best place to find it.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Lleonard Pler
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Lleonard Pler » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:40 am

is the PSP version any different than the PS2 version?

Yes, they added new scenarios (up to 18!), changed the interface, added a new value (impulse) to "pay" for certain actions, a success/failure pulse to improve your skills, and new combats (now every battle from the series is represented in the game).

Reichu: I'm a user of Gamefaqs. I'm writing a FAQ/Guide for the game there, actually. But the boards are rather dead lately. :lol:

By the way, it's interesting to note that the ending in the original script for 26: with EVA-01 with long hair coming out its broken mask appears in the "good" ending of the game. It's holding the Spear of Longinus. And it appears to be a sort of Rei reincarnation, as Rei's voice is heard thanking humankind.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:56 am

Lleonard Pler wrote:Reichu: I'm a user of Gamefaqs. I'm writing a FAQ/Guide for the game there, actually. But the boards are rather dead lately. :lol:

Oh... never mind.

By the way, it's interesting to note that the ending in the original script for 26: with EVA-01 with long hair coming out its broken mask appears in the "good" ending of the game.

Picture please!

It's holding the Spear of Longinus. And it appears to be a sort of Rei reincarnation, as Rei's voice is heard thanking humankind.

でも、初号機はレイではなくて、ユイ様でしょうね…
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”