One More Final: I Need You; a parable of human interaction.

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only.

Moderator: Board Staff

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!
User avatar
Age: 27
Posts: 10086
Joined: Aug 29, 2006
Location: Hollywoo
Gender: Male

One More Final: I Need You; a parable of human interaction.

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sachi » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:58 pm

There are many questions surrounding One More Final: I Need You, questions that even to this day I still can't quite wrap my head around completely. Given that I just recently finished a run-through of the series, and have just gotten done watching EoE, I thought I would attempt to tackle some of these questions.

Contrary to the positive message of recovery and hope that we had just seen prior to this scene, One More Final seems to be the harsh return to reality. The real world is no less bleak than Shinji had left it, and may even be a more difficult place due to his part in destroying much of it. The setting seems to be symbolic of the uncertain future Shinji now has to face in order to overcome his insecurities; he now has the will to live, but still needs to learn to live with the pain, and that is exactly what this new world seems to offer.

In order to return to this world, Shinji needed to first reimagine himself in his heart. According to Rei, even if his own words (to describe himself) become lost, the words of others will also serve to shape him, a theme also dealt with in EoTV. I will use this as a premise to answer some of these questions pertaining to One More Final.

Why does Shinji choke Asuka?

According to Misato, just before her death, she tries to understand Shinji. She realizes that he hates himself, and that's why he hurts others, because it will cause him more pain than to hurt himself. And this is shown to be true throughout the series, even if its not a conscious move on Shinji's part; whenever he attempts to become close to others he hurts them, or vice versa, the hedgehog's dilemma at work. During his scene in the kitchen with Asuka during pre-instrumentality, as he attempts to open up to her, she rejects him, claiming that he only causes her pain and he doesn't really need her. So he chokes her, a symbol of his rejection of the world and the beginning of Instrumentality (cue: Komm Susser Tod). But then, how does this fit in the context of One More Final?

Given the deconstruction of ego as a result of Instrumentality, the trauma is likely still quite fresh in Shinji's mind, regardless of the passage of time between the scenes. He's very vulnerable, and his ego isn't entirely restored; essentially, he has been stripped to his most basic character flaw: he can only interact with others by hurting them. Given that his last interaction with Asuka was one of rejection, a scene that is likely fresh in his mind and was used as a basis for his "rebirth", that was the only way he knew how to respond to her. However, her return response was different than anything he'd ever experienced with her.

Why did she caress him?

We don't know what her experience during Instrumentality might have been like, but given that she and Shinji are very similar characters they may have had similar experiences. What should be observed are the differences between their characters, which is primarily observed through their outward actions; Asuka is abrasive to others in order to keep her heart safe but really wants someone to get past her defenses, while Shinji is generally is more passive and solitary but really wants someone to show him positive attention. Is it possible her caress was this positive attention? It's difficult to say, but her experience in Instrumentality may have lead her to try a different form of communication.

Immediately after the caress, Shinji breaks down and and begins crying. In response, Asuka shoots him the coldest look possible and expresses her disgust. Why? Is it because Shinji is feeling sorry for himself again, something in which Asuka consistently scolds him for?

One thing important to keep in mind is the symbolism of the hands in this scene; Shinji uses his hands to destroy, while Asuka uses hers to show care and affection. Another is to note the theme of "Love is Destructive". Lastly, note the bookend Rei; prior to this scene, Rei and Kaworu claim to be the symbol of hope that one day people will be able to understand each other and the words "I love you". Perhaps Shinji and Asuka's interaction here are meant to be a reflection of that hope, albeit twisted; they really do need each other, but they still bring each other pain. This confrontation may be the first step to an understanding between the two of them, despite the fact that they still hurt each other.

Thoughts?
Last edited by Sachi on Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Sachi

I host an unofficial EGF discord server. The usual suspects are here. https://discord.gg/Djzkh8Q

The Killer of Heroes
Ireul
Ireul
User avatar
Age: 28
Posts: 696
Joined: Sep 29, 2012
Location: Hidden in the Trojan Horse
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:24 pm

Asuka being gentle like that is...such a strange thing for her character to do. It's always baffled me.

I've never really thought of Shinji's final breakdown as him feeling sorry for himself again. I always thought it was more of the reality of everything finally just crashing down on him.

I really need to watch EoE again.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion
User avatar
Posts: 3284
Joined: Dec 08, 2011

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Dream » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:01 am

^ Final scene is really not the first time Asuka acts as a nice person. It's not very evident but throughout the series you can see many instances where, if you understand and keep her perspective in view, you can see she tried to be nice or helpful to others. In a way that's probably a great part of what EoTV is alluding to with the importance of perspective, isn't it rather nice in a way how, when you consider all the character's particular point of view, you can sympathize with them and understand why they do what they do? Kiel aside, you can't really call anyone a careless jerk.

Since you said you were using this as premise, i feel i should point out that, at least in my copy, Rei says "So, you must regain your own lost form by your own volition. Even if it means your words become lost... or confused with the words of others." I don't get the impression that implies the other's words would help shape him. The idea of Shinji being reduced to his most basic flaws is an interesting one but i don't think it's so much because of Instrumentality's magical qualities as much as the characters going throught an apocalypse, with the descent arc that came before it. Also, i don't really think that choking Asuka was the only way he could have reacted at that moment, then again i don't really have a better theory myself.

But i think you're spot on regarding the caress being an attempt of a new approach by Asuka, it's like she accepts and understand all the pain Shinji has, and tries to help him in some ways. To me, it always had a tone of forgiveness and acceptance for Shinji, specially meaningful because of the fact she does it while Shinji is in one of his worse states (trying to kill her). By the way, i always looked at that scene as very similar to that of the climax in The Phantom of the Opera, where Christine embraces the phantom and tries to relieve him of his pain, and the latter crying and changing completely after being shown true kindness and sympathy for the first time in his life and then dying...

Something else that might be worthy to note (aside from the hand motif you pointed out) is that the caress Asuka does, is the same as the caress that Misato and Yui give to Shinji in that same movie. In any case, you do bring up some new and interesting points in the last paragraph. Really want to write more since i feel this might go somewhere but i'm too sleep deprived at the moment, sorry about that.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!
User avatar
Age: 27
Posts: 10086
Joined: Aug 29, 2006
Location: Hollywoo
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sachi » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:02 am

View Original PostDream wrote:Since you said you were using this as premise, i feel i should point out that, at least in my copy, Rei says "So, you must regain your own lost form by your own volition. Even if it means your words become lost... or confused with the words of others." I don't get the impression that implies the other's words would help shape him.

The point I was more getting across is that others perception of Shinji are just as true as Shinji's perception of himself, as heavily reinforced in EoTV. Rei means that both his interpretation of himself, and others interpretation of him will help him reform himself.

The idea of Shinji being reduced to his most basic flaws is an interesting one but i don't think it's so much because of Instrumentality's magical qualities as much as the characters going throught an apocalypse, with the descent arc that came before it.

I didn't claim it was through the magic of Instrumentality; I claimed it was through the death of his ego (which had been a necessary part of joining Instrumentality) that he had been reduced to his most fundamental qualities, namely his flaws, when he reformed himself. Not a permanent state, of course, as he is still recovering from the trauma of, well, everything. He is obviously not in a right state of mind, which is a result of the accumulation of a lot of things leading up to the moment.

To say that choking Asuka was the only way he could have reacted may have been an oversimplification, but I suppose the point I'm trying to get across by saying that is that he reacted to her in the only way that he knew how: by hurting her. But, what's different about this than any of his other actions, is that he actively chose to do this; symbolically, this may represent how he's acknowledged his major flaws yet still accepts it as an inevitable part of himself and how he interacts with other people; in order to be with other people, he has to accept that he might hurt them in the process. What's different about this is that when he does do this, Asuka responds back with kindness, and that's when he breaks down.
- Sachi

I host an unofficial EGF discord server. The usual suspects are here. https://discord.gg/Djzkh8Q

Practice
Sachiel
User avatar
Age: 30
Posts: 245
Joined: Jan 13, 2013
Location: Pennsylvania
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Practice » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:25 am

I don't want to write too much here because I'm planning on making a post of my interpretation of Eva and how it affected me (as someone with depression), but just one quick note:

One interpretation that stood out to me was the idea that Shinji chokes Asuka in order to really "verify" that she's real - that she is actually back in the world. As you said, it probably could have been the only thing that came to mind when she appeared, but I think it can be applied to him trying to make sense of everything, trying to figure out that Asuka really did come back. Then of course there's the whole passage of time argument and the interpretation of Asuka's closing line, but there's other threads for that.
Phil 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

Shinoyami65
Seed
Seed
User avatar
Age: 23
Posts: 3926
Joined: Jul 26, 2012
Location: Vinculum Gate
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:00 am

I was always confused by Asuka's actions during that scene. She intially appears affectionate to Shinji, but when he stops trying to kill her she immediately shows disgust towards him. While I'd like to believe the two will eventually come to understand each other, her rejection of him during Instrumentality could mean that she has decided Shinji won't help her, and she has decided to move on. But then again, Shinji's decision to strangle her right before the Komm Susser Tod scene and the merging of all souls during Instrumentality may have helped her to understand that Shinji is also suffering, and the two may eventually be able to share their feelings with each other because of that. Of course, though, that depends on whether Shinji has learnt anything as well, as it seems Asuka doesn't want him to be self-pitying and to acknowledge her pain as well. My interpretation of her last line was that Asuka is disgusted by the fact that Shinji breaks down without directing a single word at Asuka or showing any consideration for Asuka's own suffering.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Bagheera
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 18626
Joined: Oct 15, 2010

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Bagheera » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:45 am

We've been round and round on this before, but I guess I might as well add the same notes here I have elsewhere. I don't find Shinji's actions surprising; his last memory of Asuka was unpleasant, and he's suffering from delusions based on isolation. She gets through to him the only way she can, and he is so relieved he simply breaks down.

Asuka, for her part, is faced with a reality of her own: she likes Shinji, but he's still a loathsome and disgusting creature. Her liking him doesn't change what he did to her or the world, and it doesn't change the fact that he's a miserable failure of a human being. But he's just like her, and she's sympathetic toward him, and she just wants acceptance even if it's from someone that damn low. So she gives him what she can and, when reminded of how truly pathetic he really is, expresses her disgust toward them both.

Human feelings and human interaction are not monolithic. It is possible to feel love, hate, admiration, disgust, and lots of other emotions toward a person at the same time. It's because of this that I don't find anything particularly contradictory or confusing about their actions; they'd been broken and stressed, and are expressing themselves in the only ways they are able. This is how people are.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

xdiesp
Adam
Age: 43
Posts: 91
Joined: Aug 22, 2010
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby xdiesp » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:53 pm

That's an emotional moment. Lining up expectations and strategies like dominos isn't going to cut it.

Picture a spin off of the genesis book where adam and eve are two dysfunctional wrecks, and adam hates himself to the point of leashing on others, only for eve to reach at him with a caress until he desists. Pretty explanative without the need of words and theories.
SOUND ONLY

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel
User avatar
Age: 30
Posts: 3361
Joined: Jun 17, 2012
Location: Earth-33

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:14 pm

Except your reference to Genesis is irrelevant seeing as everyone else has the chance to come back as well (See here).
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy
User avatar
Age: 26
Posts: 5100
Joined: Jul 27, 2010
Location: Germany
Gender: Female
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Kendrix » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:21 pm

I say this scene is more to show us that instrumentality is actually undone - Yeah, we saw Shinji leave and got told that others will follow, but in a way, it's only really over when the first other person returns.

It is implied that Shinji was completely isolated for a while (long enough to come to the conclusion that no one was comming and to errect grave markers.) and that commonly makes people do unreasonable things.

The intention of instrumentality was, as explained in EoTV, in a sense that all humans "complement" each other's flaws and imperfections, forming a superior whole, as a sort of extreme continuations of how humans form superorganisms like tribes, countries and civilizations anyway, since we can only connect up to a certain degree, because we cannot read each other's minds. So, the more people leave, the more will be "missing" from the sea, so the process probably starts slow and gets faster.
Which means that Shinji had to wait a little for the first other person to show up since the absence of one single kid would not initially have that much of an impact.

The title is probably telling, "I need you" (markedly NOT "I want you" or "I love you") I'd assume that the person who followed after him first would be the one who'd feel his absence the most, who'd need him the most to be "complete" (Misato is probably next) so there she commes, following after him, and plants herself right next to him as she did back in ep 9.

His first thought was probably something like "Don't you dare come to me now after all you did to me!" or "So now you want to be next to me, after you wouldn't aknowledge wanting me, you want to be with me when it wasn't worth a few silly words to you!" or "You wanted me all along, but you never told me!" and it... escalated, because again, being alone for days is not exactly healthy.

But the thing is, his anger inherently stems from feeling rejected by her - and why does he feel rejected? Because he sort of wanted her. So that's a way of getting him to relent.

She was originally gonna say "I'd never let you kill me!", cept Anno didn't think that had the right edge, so he basically asked Asuka's VA "How would you react to some weirdo fapping to you while you can't move", and the script says that she speaks "in the coldest possible voice" so there were probably NO particularly tender thoughts going on in Asuka's head here. She wouldn't have, from her PoV, that's a weirdo whom she never really liked, and he just sexually assaulted her, torched the planet and attempted to kill her.

If there's any residual attachment to her, it's expressed through her laying down next to him, not through that so-called caress - or hey, it might very well have been a subconcious factor somewhere deep down, this is Asuka after all, but her primary intention was most likely just to stop him from killing her by feighning a gesture of affection - In other words, deception and dissapointment are back in this world.

It's now up to us to fill in from the previous babble that "...this also means happiness and good things will also be possible" but after that ordeal, they're not gonna start being happy right away. But the theoretical possibility is there and Shinji appears to have learned a couple of lessons, so it's a matter of time, those two can probably be trusted not to kill each other for real before Misato detangs...
Last edited by Kendrix on Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Make Clone Love Not Clone War

Bagheera
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 18626
Joined: Oct 15, 2010

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Bagheera » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:27 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:If there's any residual attachment to her, it's expressed through her laying down next to him, not through that so-called caress - or hey, it might very well have been a subconcious factor somewhere deep down, this is Asuka after all, but her primary intention was most likely just to stop him from killing her by feighning a gesture of affection - In other words, deception and dissapointment are back in this world.


Not likely, as the gesture loses its meaning if it's feigned. It's more likely she reached out to him to make a connection and, when he became a disgusting, slobbering mess, reacted accordingly. Because honestly, bawling all over someone after you've just tried to strangle her is kinda gross.

It's now up to us to fill in from the previous babble that "...this also means happiness and good things will also be possible" but after that ordeal, they're not gonna start being happy right away. But the theoretical possibility is there and Shinji appears to have learned a couple of lessons, so it's a matter of time, those two can probably be trusted not to kill each other for real before Misato detangs...


Agreed here.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Rodeo
Ramiel
Ramiel
User avatar
Posts: 341
Joined: Oct 22, 2006

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Rodeo » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:57 pm

The meaning of the epilogue becomes a lot more clear if you think of it as a parallel to the film's other major strangling scene. The other scene being a manifestation of Shinji's fear and hatred of rejection, source of a great deal of human drama in the story (and was ultimately what drove him over the edge, causing instrumentality). In One More Final he's basically just picking up where he left off, except this time Asuka reaches out to him showing acceptance. In a way it's the most groundbreaking moment in the entire movie, and kinda heartwarming in it's own dark way.

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel
User avatar
Age: 27
Posts: 795
Joined: Dec 08, 2011
Location: New York
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Na7e » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:20 pm

View Original PostRodeo wrote:The meaning of the epilogue becomes a lot more clear if you think of it as a parallel to the film's other major strangling scene. The other scene being a manifestation of Shinji's fear and hatred of rejection, source of a great deal of human drama in the story (and was ultimately what drove him over the edge, causing instrumentality). In One More Final he's basically just picking up where he left off, except this time Asuka reaches out to him showing acceptance. In a way it's the most groundbreaking moment in the entire movie, and kinda heartwarming in it's own dark way.


Don't forget about Yui's caress as well.

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion
Age: 35
Posts: 3254
Joined: Oct 25, 2006
Location: On Reichu's shit list...
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:38 pm

If you're looking for Shinji's mindset you should probably take a look at the lyrics of Thanatos: If I Can't Be Yours. Think about him sitting around for weeks or more in a depressed fit and suddenly the lyrics make a twisted kind of sense.

I really don't think there is any hidden meaning in the endings. Shinji still has self worth issues, Asuka is still a source of comfort and pain for him (intentionally or not). They've both accepted their lives and learned enough that they can make a legit attempt at a serious relationship without all that justifying my existence BS but haven't changed in a substantial enough manner to make the task "easy". It's going to be hard, they're going to hurt each other from time to time but this doesn't mean it isn't worth trying. There is no guarantee it will work out but such is the nature of life.

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Not likely, as the gesture loses its meaning if it's feigned. It's more likely she reached out to him to make a connection and, when he became a disgusting, slobbering mess, reacted accordingly. Because honestly, bawling all over someone after you've just tried to strangle her is kinda gross.


Hilariously this is something that occurred to me recently. Reichu once said she was disappointed with how cold Asuka was being and at the time I agreed with her. But I sat down and thought about it and in this one instance I really don't blame her. Instrumentality/tang = death instinct, reembodying on your own = embracing life. Her reward for this revelation is a beach with an ocean of blood, the corpses of the things that killed her, half of Rei's giant head (someone she really didn't like), and one of the people closest to her (for better or worse) completely crazy and trying to kill her (I'm sure that doesn't cause any flashbacks at all) then breaking down in a fit of crying. No reason to be remotely bitter here.

Also the potential she didn't get the reaction she expected.

Asuka: If I can't have you all to myself then I don't want anything from you.

Shinji: Then be nice to me.
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

Chrad
Ramiel
Ramiel
Posts: 348
Joined: Sep 02, 2008
Location: Sydney

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Chrad » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:37 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:If there's any residual attachment to her, it's expressed through her laying down next to him, not through that so-called caress - or hey, it might very well have been a subconcious factor somewhere deep down, this is Asuka after all, but her primary intention was most likely just to stop him from killing her by feighning a gesture of affection - In other words, deception and dissapointment are back in this world.

If it was an attempt to save herself through deceiving Shinji, then surely she would maintain the ruse after he stops strangling her? There's no telling that Shinji isn't going to just place his hands around her neck once again after he breaks down, so why potentially invite that response with her coldness and insults?

I think it makes much more sense if everyone is being completely honest and sincere, at the end of their tethers after the end of everything.

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion
Age: 35
Posts: 3254
Joined: Oct 25, 2006
Location: On Reichu's shit list...
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:48 pm

Yes, that would be very counter productive since she already found out Shinji is quite capable of murderous revenge outbursts right before 3I.
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

caragnafog dog
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 25
Posts: 1474
Joined: Feb 11, 2013
Location: Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Gender: Male

Re: One More Final: I Need You; a parable of human interacti

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby caragnafog dog » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:15 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:Why does Shinji choke Asuka?

According to Misato, just before her death, she tries to understand Shinji. She realizes that he hates himself, and that's why he hurts others, because it will cause him more pain than to hurt himself. And this is shown to be true throughout the series, even if its not a conscious move on Shinji's part; whenever he attempts to become close to others he hurts them, or vice versa, the hedgehog's dilemma at work. During his scene in the kitchen with Asuka during pre-instrumentality, as he attempts to open up to her, she rejects him, claiming that he only causes her pain and he doesn't really need her. So he chokes her, a symbol of his rejection of the world and the beginning of Instrumentality (cue: Komm Susser Tod). But then, how does this fit in the context of One More Final?

Given the deconstruction of ego as a result of Instrumentality, the trauma is likely still quite fresh in Shinji's mind, regardless of the passage of time between the scenes. He's very vulnerable, and his ego isn't entirely restored; essentially, he has been stripped to his most basic character flaw: he can only interact with others by hurting them. Given that his last interaction with Asuka was one of rejection, a scene that is likely fresh in his mind and was used as a basis for his "rebirth", that was the only way he knew how to respond to her. However, her return response was different than anything he'd ever experienced with her.

Why did she caress him?

We don't know what her experience during Instrumentality might have been like, but given that she and Shinji are very similar characters they may have had similar experiences. What should be observed are the differences between their characters, which is primarily observed through their outward actions; Asuka is abrasive to others in order to keep her heart safe but really wants someone to get past her defenses, while Shinji is generally is more passive and solitary but really wants someone to show him positive attention. Is it possible her caress was this positive attention? It's difficult to say, but her experience in Instrumentality may have lead her to try a different form of communication.

Immediately after the caress, Shinji breaks down and and begins crying. In response, Asuka shoots him the coldest look possible and expresses her disgust. Why? Is it because Shinji is feeling sorry for himself again, something in which Asuka consistently scolds him for?

One thing important to keep in mind is the symbolism of the hands in this scene; Shinji uses his hands to destroy, while Asuka uses hers to show care and affection. Another is to note the theme of "Love is Destructive". Lastly, note the bookend Rei; prior to this scene, Rei and Kaworu claim to be the symbol of hope that one day people will be able to understand each other and the words "I love you". Perhaps Shinji and Asuka's interaction here are meant to be a reflection of that hope, albeit twisted; they really do need each other, but they still bring each other pain. This confrontation may be the first step to an understanding between the two of them, despite the fact that they still hurt each other.

Thoughts?
Wonderful. I'm really glad someone else feels the way I do. I think Shinji's choking can be explained further by using the fact that he had resolved to live with others immediately prior to the scene. It must be similar to riding a rollercoaster for the first time; you say you're going to do it, you know there's not much to be afraid of, but when you actually get in you might freak out a little at the prospect of a new experience. He must have felt this way at the appearance of an AT field other than his own. Of course, his compassion and indecisiveness is once again his undoing (in a good way) with Asuka's caress, prompting her disgust/sickness. Like you, I believe the tone to be one that is more hopeful and implies a dependence each has for the other. Eva has always been about the necessity of accepting human flaws.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!
User avatar
Age: 27
Posts: 10086
Joined: Aug 29, 2006
Location: Hollywoo
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sachi » Sat May 03, 2014 2:51 am

I've been thinking a bit more about this scene, so thread bump!

One of the truly remarkable things about One More Final is how vague and ambiguous it is in it's tone and message. After the mindfuck of Instrumentality, this scene doesn't do much to provide closure at first glance, and it instead pulls at your heartstrings and leaves the audience with even more questions. There's a sort of blend of positive and negative emotions which together creates confusion and uncertainty.

Wait a minute... This sounds like reality. This sounds like the entire struggle that Shinji just went through; the vague intentions of others creates confusions and uncertainty, which makes reality unpleasant. Ultimately Shinji decides that he really would rather live in the real world, despite the fact that the "invisible bonds that separated each person's heart" would once again be formed and he would have to live in a world filled with ambiguity.

One More Final is the harsh, sudden comedown from the Instrumentality drug trip, and is packaged in a short epilogue that is exactly that reflection of the ambiguity associated with reality. As I had earlier titled this thread, this scene is a parable of human interaction. During Instrumentality, everybody had their cards on the table; each individual was completely exposed emotional and mentally. In contrast to that, One More Final as a representation of reality, shows us two individuals who struggle reaching out to each other--two people who struggle to show each other how they truly feel.

Asuka's famous line at the end could be a sentiment about reality and human interaction. Even though it has already been established that it is indeed better to live in reality, it can still suck, and it's still going to be frustrating and disgusting; there's no escaping that. At the same time, however, it can be pleasant, fulfilling, and even enjoyable, because that's what reality is and it's going to make you feel a wide variety of emotions, guaranteed.

But wow, what a plesant slap in the face that scene is to this day. :lol:
- Sachi

I host an unofficial EGF discord server. The usual suspects are here. https://discord.gg/Djzkh8Q

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy
User avatar
Age: 26
Posts: 5100
Joined: Jul 27, 2010
Location: Germany
Gender: Female
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Kendrix » Sun May 04, 2014 9:57 am

View Original PostChrad wrote:If it was an attempt to save herself through deceiving Shinji, then surely she would maintain the ruse after he stops strangling her? There's no telling that Shinji isn't going to just place his hands around her neck once again after he breaks down, so why potentially invite that response with her coldness and insults?


Except she knows him better than that. When he's moping, he's moping and it takes some provocation to get him from that state into another. She's the world's top expert at "poking him untill he does something interesting".

It's not like she immediately levelled a parade of insults at him, punched him straight in the face or went for his neck at the first chance - He'd probably already expect her to...well, not be thrilled.


View Original Postcaragnafog dog wrote: [the tone] implies a dependence each has for the other.


Beyond all doubt. But what kind of depence is it? A personal one specific to these two, or one that is completely situational in happning to be stuck together/ the general "humans are social animals" point?

View Original Postcaragnafog dog wrote:Eva has always been about the necessity of accepting human flaws.

Accepting, not glorifying them or purpusefully picking the hardest path possible.
I never saw this show suggarcoating the fact that ugly things are ugly.

They're NOT reaching out to each other. They're just deciding to coexist, and only just barely. But hey, it seems they have decided to desist from further un-cooperative things like further murder-attempts. That makes the quite important tiny difference that they'll probably live.

I don't think Asuka was ever inteest in learning his PoV (and nothing in the EoE sequences suggests this - she just reacts adversely to what she does get to see, at times deservedly), and the fact that she doesn't owe it to him to do so especially if he doesn't comunicate his PoV to her (as an example fr the many, many billions of people who also don't) is a huge, huge part of the point, at least as I see it.

However, despite our disagreement on the specifics, however, this:

View Original PostSachi wrote:
One More Final [...] is packaged in a short epilogue that is exactly that reflection of the ambiguity associated with reality.


...as a general gist of the scene is something I'd 100% subscribe to.

View Original Postcaragnafog dog wrote:Asuka's famous line at the end could be a sentiment about reality and human interaction. Even though it has already been established that it is indeed better to live in reality, it can still suck, and it's still going to be frustrating and disgusting;


This, too, is probably how this is to be taken in the context of the 'message', even if we don't agree on the specifics. 'Everyone holds hands and dances' could also convey that it's over, but it could do soat a lesser level than "WTF even happened"
Make Clone Love Not Clone War

Bagheera
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 18626
Joined: Oct 15, 2010

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Bagheera » Sun May 04, 2014 10:24 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Except she knows him better than that. When he's moping, he's moping and it takes some provocation to get him from that state into another. She's the world's top expert at "poking him untill he does something interesting".


Though that's not saying much. Also, we've never seen Asuka fake being nice, at least not with him. As I said, the gesture loses all meaning if she's faking it.

Accepting, not glorifying them or purpusefully picking the hardest path possible.


It's not the hardest path possible, it's the only path possible. It just happens to be one that's hard. You play the hand you're dealt, even if it sucks.

They're NOT reaching out to each other.


Of course they are. That caress couldn't rationally be interpreted as anything else.

I don't think Asuka was ever inteest in learning his PoV (and nothing in the EoE sequences suggests this - she just reacts adversely to what she does get to see, at times deservedly), and the fact that she doesn't owe it to him to do so especially if he doesn't comunicate his PoV to her (as an example fr the many, many billions of people who also don't) is a huge, huge part of the point, at least as I see it.


I think this is rather moot given the nature of Instrumentality. Desired or not each came to understand the other's viewpoint.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.


Return to “Evangelion Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests