Maya Ibuki

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:41 pm

Random thing Reichu wrote on ANF wrote:I've got it!

For every week that Shin-seiki procrastinates on his NGE-geek projects, Shinji masturbates at an unconscious Asuka's bedside. Twice if it's an especially bad week. "Tasukete... Tasukete, Asuka..."

.....*twitches*...:lol:
(Should the above post about working on the site be "fixed" and applied to you instead? ;) Just joking, I know how hetic and busy life can get... Hell, I'm at college as I type this!)

Anyway, I'd say that scene shows how Maya is in denial about her true feelings for her "senpai", and it does seem that even throughout the series it's hinted (well, hinted probably's not the right word, but whatever) that Maya has feelings for Ritsuko.

For instance, three scenes that come to mind are:
~episode 14 when Ritsuko says that can go ahead and do the Dummy Plug System, who adds something about how "You'll be uncaring when you feel like you've be sullied." (I can't remember the exact quote), while Maya looks upset, possibly because she feels bad how Ritsuko's treated??)

~And in 22/22', after Ritsuko says...something to Maya in terms of Asuka (about working on zerogoki instead?), Maya looks upset, maybe disappointed that her senpai can act so cold??

~Also, the scene with Kaji of Maya scuttles away whilst red-faced seems to be a pretty good clue. ;)

It's times like this I wish I had screencaps. >_<

So is it true that AWL called Maya a "dyke" in the Commentary of Evil?
*smacks AWL* Don't say such nasty things about Maya! >_< (Y'know, one of those words were it depends on the person if they think it's offensive or not...)

I think it's odd how there are such Maya/Shinji fics out there.... At least with the other pairings (A/S, Misato/S, Rei/S) it makes sense in a way!
Though I think Ritsuko/Shinji would be another weird one...

Ha, that reminds me of this one H-fic series were each chapter has Shinji paired with a different female member of the cast...Including Kyoko/Shinji (WTF?) and Yui(!!)/Shinji.... (Wonder what the author would do about Rei-chan then...Probably just say it's "Naoko"....)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:49 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:I think it's odd how there are such Maya/Shinji fics out there....

I pretend such things don't exist. If Maya has to go with one of the Children, then Asuka is the only choice.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Nukie
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Nukie » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:50 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:
Sailor Star Dust wrote:I think it's odd how there are such Maya/Shinji fics out there....

I pretend such things don't exist. If Maya has to go with one of the Children, then Asuka is the only choice.

Or Maya x Hikari. Which would make my head implode.
-!

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:40 pm

Nukie wrote:
Mr. Tines wrote:

Despite the different background, official Evangelion art. >_>
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

brainDamage
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby brainDamage » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:53 pm

Nukie wrote:
Mr. Tines wrote:

And then, I was totally like: Yeah! That would be crazy!

Thanks to Bastard King, I know all things are possible now with just a little creativity and Gainax sleezery.
"You don't know your own mind." -Jonathan Swift, Polite Conversation, 1738

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:08 pm

Interestingly, and as Asuka would probably be dismayed to know, I'm pretty sure the only shipping that hasn't been done is Asuka x Kaji XD
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:05 pm

NAveryW wrote:Interestingly, and as Asuka would probably be dismayed to know, I'm pretty sure the only shipping that hasn't been done is Asuka x Kaji XD

Random1377 did it once... and yeah, that's all that pops to mind.
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

Nukie
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Nukie » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:27 pm

The Bastard King wrote:
Nukie wrote:
Mr. Tines wrote:

Despite the different background, official Evangelion art. >_>

-!

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:03 pm

I think Maya's feelings towards Ritsuko could best be explained as "complicated." She probably has some kind of bizarre crush on her on some level, but I think it's not as simple as "Maya is gay and she thinks Ritsuko is a babe." I think Maya is obsessed with her job, and her mousy personality makes me suspect that she doesn't have a very active social life outside work. Ritsuko is her boss, and as such that makes her one of, if not the most important person in Maya's life.

Maya is desperate for recognition from Ritsuko, and her complementation saw her finally receiving it. whether that means that Maya has actual lesbian tendencies or or just a girl who needs to get out more, we can't tell because the Anime never went that far. However, when we were shown Makoto's complementation, they made it obvious that he's in love with Misato because he was tangified when she kissed him. And if Maya is really a lesbian, I don't think Gainax would have passed up the opportunity to show some girl-on-girl kissing. It seems to me that Makoto's biggest want was Misato's love, and Maya's biggest want was Ritsuko's recognition.

Let's look at Dwight from The Office. If he was in Evangelion during complementation, I'm pretty sure the person he'd see before getting tangified would be his boss, Michael. Would that mean that Dwight is gay? No. It means Dwight is a major suck up and he cares a lot about his job and impressing his employer. I think Maya might be the same way.

But hey, that's not going to stop fan fiction writers. :P

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:09 pm

http://evacommentary.org/episode-m26/episode-m26-scene08B.html

why would there be hearts in the script at the end of Maya's line?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:12 pm

Eww...is that a pic from Scanners or whatever that's called? :(

Nukie
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Nukie » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:13 pm

Ornette wrote:http://evacommentary.org/episode-m26/episode-m26-scene08B.html

why would there be hearts in the script at the end of Maya's line?

Plus she's crying and getting pleasured by Ritsu's knee.[/perverted]
-!

Katayoku no Tenshi
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Katayoku no Tenshi » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:02 pm

I think Maya's feelings towards Ritsuko could best be explained as "complicated." She probably has some kind of bizarre crush on her on some level, but I think it's not as simple as "Maya is gay and she thinks Ritsuko is a babe."

Just because shes in love with a woman doesn't mean that she's gay. ... What?

she doesn't have a very active social life outside work.

She does have a lot of uniforms that’s for sure. Seriously that’s all her washing is (side note Huyga does Misato’s washing, Shinji cooks and cleans she seems to have everything figured out.)

Ritsuko is .. the most important person in Maya's life.

Yeah. When you’re in love … oh wait. Maya is obviously a very fastidious and moral person, she is highly reluctant to support the Dummy System. It was however Supported by Ritsuko so when the time came she defended it’s use. She’d rather it hadn’t been used (ep18) but after the fact she didn’t want anyone thinking badly of her Senpai, even Shinji who she’s spoken to what once? I don’t think she’d be willing to compromise her integrity just to impress her boss.

they made it obvious that he's in love with Misato because he was tangified when she kissed him. And if Maya is really a lesbian, I don't think Gainax would have passed up the opportunity to show some girl-on-girl kissing. It seems to me that Makoto's biggest want was Misato's love, and Maya's biggest want was Ritsuko's recognition.

Even Gainax know that fanservice sometimes is inappropriate.
So, according to your logic, because Gendo wasn’t kissed into complementation but a Yui shaped transition guide her didn’t love her? You could take it the other way and say that Maya wanted Ritsuko’s love and Hyuga wanted Misato for sex and whatnot.

Let's look at Dwight from The Office.

Dwight? Oh. Every time someone mentions the American version of the Office Kaworu immolates an abandoned animal shelter. :cry:

But hey, that's not going to stop fan fiction writers.

Nothing will stop fan fiction writers, even if a character ends up dead or in another universe, someone, somewhere, sometime has written a fic about them. That’s why we love them. :wink:

Edit: Maybe I just want someone to love Ritsuko. I just read Shin-Seiki's 'What REALLY motivated Ritsuko to turn against Gendo in # 23' (how did I not notice this before?) Brialiantly deduced, but disturbing/sadening conclusion.
Last edited by Katayoku no Tenshi on Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:23 pm

Just because she loves a woman doesn't mean that she's gay.

Fixed. True, just because you love somebody, it doesn't mean you're IN LOVE with them (as I personally think is the case with Kaworu, but if she does love Shinji romantically, it's one-sided/unrequited), HOWEVER, Gainax/Anno/whoever the hell it was went so far as to put heart marks next to Maya's rather aroused sounding cries of "Senpai! Senpai!"

I think that in itself is a good indication she's gay.

And you gotta love that Hikari & Maya pic, considering I don't think they've even met! :roll: Silly Gainax.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:00 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:HOWEVER, Gainax/Anno/whoever the hell it was went so far as to put heart marks next to Maya's rather aroused sounding cries of "Senpai! Senpai!"

It's in the script, so whoever wrote the script put them there. I'm not entirely sure what the "<3" mark is supposed to mean, as I've seen it show up in different contexts.

@Nukie: Odd that you should mention the knee. One doesn't hear about that knee very often. (I've been waiting and waiting for Sukotto-sensei to publicly "announce" it.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Katayoku no Tenshi
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Katayoku no Tenshi » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:06 pm

When you have two explanations that fit the data equally well choose the simplest.

As I understand it "<3" either means 'heart' or 'happy cat' (I don't get it either). First time I saw it my response was 'what is less than three?'

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:10 pm

Katayoku no Tenshi wrote: "<3" means 'happy cat'

A sideways emoticon like : - )

3 is the mouth; the slanted lines are eyes closed while purring.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Katayoku no Tenshi
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Katayoku no Tenshi » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:59 pm

Then wouldn't >3 make more sense?

Omegagouki
Shikigami of the Castle
Shikigami of the Castle

•      
  •      

Postby Omegagouki » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:15 pm

Nah, that's more of an evil kitty emote. |3 Is a better happy cat emote, as is =^_^=.
PSN/Steam: Zentillion | Tum8lr
8luh 8luh
Sill (and always) promoting Homestuck

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:02 am

Maybe it's a reference to Ritsuko's love of cats? :P

In any case, little <3's don't really have any sort of presence on celluloid, so whatever their intention was clearly was only there for the people making the film. An inside joke, in all likeliness.

Katayoku no Tenshi wrote:Even Gainax know that fanservice sometimes is inappropriate.

I certainly wouldn't count on that... :P

Basically my belief is that because Maya is Ritsuko's protige, as a result of her unrelenting desire for Ritsuko's recognition, her feelings have started to cross into the area of "un-professional." I think she's kind of like the paige who gets nailed by the congressman, before the congressman makes his move. If Ritsuko was a lesbian, she would probably have a pretty freakin' easy time banging Maya if she wanted to, but since Ritsuko is clearly not, I don't think Maya ever would cross the line.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”