3.0 Film Reaction Thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:48 pm

It didn't quite hit me that bad, but I remain impressed with how skilled Anno is at creating stark reality. Most of this movie is like a feature-length version of EOE's last minutes. Even on a camrip, the re-introduction of Nerv is among the creepiest things I've seen in a film.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:31 am

@Ornette
Aaa, okey. ^_^

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:07 am

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:I cried while watching it. ;_;

Yep yep, I'm with Kendrix on this one. 3.0 sparked a really low downswing for me that lasted a few days, and didn't let me return to any semblance of normal for at least two weeks. Still feels like lead in my stomach when I think about it every once and a while.

Honestly, for me right now the hard part is the inability to watch 1.0 or 2.0. Just knowing how it ends (so far)... yea, I can't get much joy out of those movies.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:24 am

Yea, i had very mixed feelings when i read the script and watched it for the first time, but when i re-watched it couple of times i really started to like it. (Still confusing as hell i admit that) Also, some people say that Anno is a bad story writer when it comes to this film, i don't think so.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:06 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:It threw me into days of depression, every single tidbit of it, from start to finish presses out my soul like a lemon in a juicer.

And I didn't notice any lack of cyberpunk-style philosophy talk on Kaworu's side, either.

Same here, only broke outta my funk when they showed an episode of Digimon and then pokemon at an anime con I went to afterwards. Something about seeing a silly show i had'nt seen since i was 10 made me feel better inside.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

ssguy
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ssguy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:01 am

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:Yea, i had very mixed feelings when i read the script and watched it for the first time, but when i re-watched it couple of times i really started to like it. (Still confusing as hell i admit that) Also, some people say that Anno is a bad story writer when it comes to this film, i don't think so.

The thing is that the story is very light. Not much really happens in this movie. It focuses more on setting things up and showing off the new world, and it does it extremely well. I don't know everything that happened in that 14 year period, but I really want to find out now. They gave me just enough to whet my appetite.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:11 pm

View Original Postssguy wrote:The thing is that the story is very light. Not much really happens in this movie. It focuses more on setting things up and showing off the new world, and it does it extremely well. I don't know everything that happened in that 14 year period, but I really want to find out now. They gave me just enough to whet my appetite.

Excellent post ssguy! ^_^
Yep, it's true what you say in your post, unfortunately some mainstream fans (98% of them) think differently, they want crazy action with easy-to-follow plot that can be understood easily for the 1st time you see it and characters must be typical shounen heroes with badass super powers *cough*Gurren Lagann*cough*DBZ*cough*Naruto,(Not saying that they are bad) and all of their dreams, goals ect. must be accomplished. (if not, the show will suck) (and don't forget the romace between certain character must happen) They don't want films like 3.0, and i love the fact that Anno kinda shows middlefinger to people that were anticipating "Tengen Evangelion Gurren Badass Shinji 3.0 You Can (Not) Lose." Anno doesn't want typical story, characters and settings, this is the reason why i love evangelion. :D
Last edited by Giji Shinka on Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:51 pm, edited 7 times in total.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:28 pm

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:Excellent post ssguy! ^_^
Yea, it's true what you say in your post, unfortunately some mainstream fans (98% of them) thinks different, they want crazy action with easy-to-follow plot that can be understood easily for the 1st time you see it and characters that must be typical shounen heroes with badass super powers *cough*Gurren Lagann*cough*DBZ*cough*Naruto,(Not saying that they are bad) and all of their dreams, goals ect. must be accomplished. (and don't forget the romace between certain character must happen) They don't want films like 3.0, and i love the fact that Anno kinda shows middlefinger for people that were anticipating Tengen Evangelion Gurren Badass Shinji 3.0 You can (not) lose. Anno doesn't want typical story, characters and settings, this is the reason why i love evangelion. :D

What a load of bullshit. :hurr:

Edit instead of new post: You basically just said that anyone that doesn't like 3.0 isn't a true Eva fan and criticism has no merit. Troll.
Last edited by slothen on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:32 pm

Nah, i think I speak for the majority of people here. :tongue:
Last edited by Giji Shinka on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:20 pm

Maybe I got lucky with the original series in that respect, because I came in when lots of analying had already been done to reach the understanding we have now (otherwise, the original probably looks like the same kind of random information overload in the Rebuild movies) and I was told what to expect.
I came for the stuff that other first-time watchers might see as shocking finger-stomping.
Basically, I watched it because I was told its mindfuckier than Elfen Lied.

But at least initially, this stuff not doing what you want WAS part of the experience, wasn't it? So maybe I should be glad to be able to experience the phenomenon firsthand...

...but that's hard when it comes at the cost of Rei dead once again and Shinji's life looking like someone took a peek at his list of personal nightmares and got very enrthusiastic at ticking all the boxes...

"I better shouldn't do shit, I will screw up!"
...which exactly happens the very first time he tries.

That girl he's so protective about who shows him genuine, unconditional apreciation? He failed to save her.

"I feel so helpless in my life, and there's nothing I can do in the face of those big organization" Yeah. Even if you try to prevent the next impact, if they want you to cause one, you will.

"Everybody hates me! I'm so afraid of being hated" ...well, they certainly do now.

"Don't abandon me, don't kill me..." Check.

While Shinji is someone who fears getting hurt, he has always feared hurting others even more, which is why all this is the perfect, most complete tragedy/failure he could possibly be put into...
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:48 pm

On my end I used to enjoy this kind of stuff too, but lately I've been avoiding it like the plague. Feels like Eva mind broke me, man.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:53 pm

View Original Postslothen wrote:What a load of bullshit. :hurr:

Edit instead of new post: You basically just said that anyone that doesn't like 3.0 isn't a true Eva fan and criticism has no merit. Troll.
No, i was just bitching mainstream anime fans that's all, (You can be mainstream fan if you want, it was just my personal opinion how i feel about them when it comes to films like Eva 3.0) and i wasn't saying anything about people not being a "true fan of eva" if they don't like 3.0.
AND my native language is NOT English, im FINN, so i can screw up some sentences when i make these posts, so they might sound different what i meant originally. (See? i have edited this post eleven times already to make it right! Proof enough?)
Last edited by Giji Shinka on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Redtophat » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:53 pm

I like the look of the new world, as long as there are a decent amount of people to inhabit it this could be an awesome setting.

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:28 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:43 pm

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:The new movie was refreshing and salvaged Rebuild precisely because it confirmed that the false reading of 2.0 that so many shared has been confirmed to be bunk. The pain that is sending many reeling is the pain of having been so absolutely and fundamentally incorrect. Incorrect about something that this movie reveals to be a depth of brilliance that stretches back through the films.

Ehm... no. Disregarding how much we differ on the "confirmed" part of your statement, I'm pretty sure on my end the "pain" is that I'm experiencing the movie through Shinji's shoes, combined with the shock of how antithetical it was to my expectations/desires, and has nothing to do with being "wrong." I've been wrong before, about a lot of things, never made me feel the way 3.0 did.

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:50 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Na7e » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:56 pm

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:Edited in a line because I suppose the nature of what I was referring to in all its reverberations wasn't conveyed accurately. There probably exists a term for this already, but I think I'll have to describe it as "main character over-identification-with-and-misplaced-sympathy-for syndrome". Or something like it. And indeed it's something many seem even more locked into than ever considering the manners and manifestations of the rejections of the messages of Q.

Your sig from Azathoth sums it up rather nicely to be honest.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:58 pm

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:Edited in a line because I suppose the nature of what I was referring to in all its reverberations wasn't conveyed accurately. There probably exists a term for this already, but I think I'll have to describe it as "main character over-identification-with-and-misplaced-sympathy-for syndrome". Or something like it. And indeed it's something many seem even more locked into than ever considering the manners and manifestations of the rejections of the messages of Q.

Cool, I'll just continue to refer to the other side as "Empathy Low: Please Plug Into Nearest Socket to Recharge Syndrome."

I could have went with something meaner, cleverer, and quite frankly I think more accurate, but I know you could have too so I respected that.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:01 am

I'm already wondering if the inevitable reactivation of Unit-01 will be as epic in Final as it is in my imagination -- ripping out of the Wunder in mid-flight, fiery wreckage raining down as the Eva hurtles to Earth...

I know, only fools try to predict these movies now. But come on, that's GOT to happen, right?

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:18 am

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:I'm already wondering if the inevitable reactivation of Unit-01 will be as epic in Final as it is in my imagination -- ripping out of the Wunder in mid-flight, fiery wreckage raining down as the Eva hurtles to Earth...

I know, only fools try to predict these movies now. But come on, that's GOT to happen, right?

I don't think Anno launched Rebuild with the purpose of giving Evangelion fans everything they want, no matter how sensible it would be to happen.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”