3.0 Film Reaction Thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Atropos » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:30 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:3.0 is by far my favorite of the Rebuild films so far. I'm not surprised to see it's getting hit by huge portions of the fanbase - being called a trainwreck & what not - for being what it is. Regardless of where 4.0 goes I think when all is said & done the large majority of casual viewers are going to vote the fan-friendly 2.0 as the best one.

Maybe some fans see it that way, but I know a few people (on these boards, even) whose issues with 3.0 go deeper than 'NOT ENOUGH AWSUM'. I liked it, but I felt many aspects needed development. I don't know why they made it so short - did Studio Khara run out of time or something?

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:32 pm

Sigh, poor Shinji. When your being manipulated by chess/Shogi playing villians you have to metaphorically throw the board over and change the game to something else like Lazer Tag. Or Super Mario Bros.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

K40s
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby K40s » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:32 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Even better -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_shogi

brought it back after visiting the country of Tang

The country of TANG, the TANG dynasty, Anno is trolling... again...

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:44 am

View Original PostDarkwing wrote:Sigh, poor Shinji. When your being manipulated by chess/Shogi playing villians you have to metaphorically throw the board over and change the game to something else like Lazer Tag. Or Super Mario Bros.

Part of being a good chess master is anticipating the pawn changing the rules of the game. In 2.22 Shinji did change the game, but he played right into Gendo's hands. No, instead what Shinji needs to do is play the game in the most unpredictable manner possible. I'm talking he needs to close his eyes and move the pieces randomly, completely out of character. He can't win if he tries to win, he can only win if he tries to lose.

Seiya
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Seiya » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:48 pm

For the people who saw the movie

SPOILER: Show
Is this Lilith's head?

It looks like Lilith from EoE

:uhh:
[center]Have you Ever Felt Your Cosmo?
[/center]

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:52 pm

Yea we have no bloody clue what the deal with that is either. Relatively sure it's supposed to be Lilith's head, but why it looks like Rei/Yui no one really knows at the moment. If on the off chance it is (and I say "off chance" so don't no one get their panties in a bunch) Lilith from EoE Anno's got a lot of 'splainin to do, namely why it's so small, why it isn't cut down the middle....

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:33 pm

If those red thing really are "failures of infinity" in that pic, then what about the Eva-sized skulls in the central dogma? Are they also FoI? Where are the rest of their body? Why only skulls are left? ( too much over analyzing?)

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:45 pm

I can't look through the cam rip right now, but I vaguely remember the head being in the shape of Lilith's head first, not Rei's.

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:53 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:Part of being a good chess master is anticipating the pawn changing the rules of the game. In 2.22 Shinji did change the game, but he played right into Gendo's hands. No, instead what Shinji needs to do is play the game in the most unpredictable manner possible. I'm talking he needs to close his eyes and move the pieces randomly, completely out of character. He can't win if he tries to win, he can only win if he tries to lose.

You don't play chess against a chessmaster. You play to lose at his game you lose. You don't play his game. You make him play yours or everyone loses. You make the chessmaster play chicken. Then you see who blinks.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:15 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:I can't look through the cam rip right now, but I vaguely remember the head being in the shape of Lilith's head first, not Rei's.
In 2.0? yes. In 3.0? No.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:18 pm

View Original PostDarkwing wrote:You make the chessmaster play chicken. Then you see who blinks.
I doubt that Shinji will transform into Akagi Shigeru in time for 4.0, since he hasn't to date.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:22 pm

I'll take nit-picky issue with the use of "Mother Is The First Other" in Sagisu's "Long Slow Pain" and "Quelconque 56". Up til now, that theme has been reserved for Instrumentality sequences. Shinji freakout is a little Instrumentality-esque, but I don't think it counts.

I am, however, a big fan of how "Tout est Perplexe" seems to reference "Expansion of Blockade".

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:13 pm

It most likely IS Lillith's head as it exploded in tandem with the body.
In a quite freaky-looking manner, too.
It's not even unlikely that one of the many interim-Reis merged with her or the cable angel, explaining the sudden Rei heads. The eyes as holes in the angel goo were so creepy, even ReiQ of all people was freaked out.

Also, I watched it with my sister now. I told her to bring tissues, but she just shrugged it off - which isn't that unsusual for her, she has her lovely sides but she's mainly an already thoroughly currupted, mean-spirited little thing.

The way she saw all the mayor plot twists comming made me feel downright silly.

*Unit 02 can be seen swimming past the Wunder's window*
Isabel: Hm... I wonder just how many years in the future we are.

*EVA 09 shows up*
Isabel: That better not be the a fresh clone, damnit.

*Shinji finds ReiQ in her room thingy*
Isabel: You perv! Check if she's wearing clothes before barging in!
ReiQ: *butt naked*
*soon after*
Isabel: This is the next clone, isn't it. Scheißdreck. *RS fan* DAMN and I was hoping for Rei and Yui interacting...

Shinji: Nerv HQ really changed a lot, didn't it?
Isabel: Of course, you blew it up.
(She didn't expect the destruction to have gona far beyond east Asia, though.
IsabeL: ...So... what's left, anyway?
Me: Well, obviously Misato and the others, and there might few a few survivors here and there, but the planet is basically inhabitable.
Isabel: Wow. So do those flowers earlier mean its slowly getting habitable again)

*Kaworu takes DSS choker*
Isabel: Why did he do that right now?
Me: Shinji's been given that thing in case he gets too emotional inside the EVA and makes is go all shiny again, like in the last movie, since that made the world go poof. - My theory is that he used its full power for a while, but couldn't control it for long and the moment he got all relieved, "Oh, Rei, I finally got you back!", he wasn't concentrating on stuff and that apocalypse machine thingy was still returning to its "true form"... Basically, if that happens again and one of them has to be blown up to stop it, Kaworu wants it to be him.
Isabel: But that's totally useless! If Kaworu gets blown up, Shinji's still in there and he will obviously be very emotional!
Me: Damnit, that's exactly what happens....

Other notable reactions were:

*early in the movie*
Isabel: WTf is going on, why are they in space? Wasn't the last thing we saw the endf of thr world going on and stuff?
Me: If I don't answer, assume that you're supposed to be confused.

*later*
Shinji: What's going on? It's all so confusing of all sudden!
Isabel and me: Don't worry, we too.

And somehow she found having it explicitly stated that Rei is cloned from Yui a lot squickier than having it implied, which baffled me a litte.

Isabel: You poor little incestually-inclined sucker... *in a sympathetic way*
Me: He wasn't raised with her, so no westermarck effect *explains what it is* This is actually quite frequent in real life.
Isabel: But he must find it squicky NOW, right?
Me: He can't exactly turn of his feelings with a button. But what's the matter, you know this was the same in the original series, do you?
Isabel: Yeah but... That ass-face [Gendo] brought them together for his plans. Now That's fucked up.
Me: Yeah, it probably is.

But she's still team blue. That's just what she's like...
You'd think that she has more of an Asuka-personality, but noooo...

*final scene*
Isabel: What did she just say? *occassionally needs help with the English*
Me: She said "You didn't do it for me/ to save me, you were only thinking of yourself etc"
Isabel: Maaan, and I was finally starting to like her in 2.0.
Me: Wait until you see what she does now.
Asuka *uses catatonic 14 year old as football*
Isabel: *relatively unfazed*
Apparently, she found Asuka's "You suck speech" much worse than the kick... Now that I look at it it is horrible, but it didn't hit me that much, I mean, this is Asuka, half her lines are like this...

*ending music*
Isabel: So much for our hopes of a happier ending this time... *sigh*
Me: So, are you traumatized?
Isabel: Not really. D-man gray desensibilized me in that respect, you won't believe what happens to the poor protagonist *elaborates a little*
Me: Shinji's still in one piece, but he probably wishes he were cut to bits.
Isabel: And now we'll have to wait 10000 years for the fourth movie...
Last edited by Kendrix on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:50 pm

View Original PostDarkwing wrote:You don't play chess against a chessmaster. You play to lose at his game you lose. You don't play his game. You make him play yours or everyone loses. You make the chessmaster play chicken. Then you see who blinks.

Any half decent chessmaster wouldn't let you get into the the position to play chicken, or if they did they'd have a contingency plan for it. I'm telling you, you have to play unpredictably. Think about what you'd normally do in a situation, what you want to do, and then do the exact opposite.

And if you insist on disagreeing with me, then I challenge you to a game of checkers to decide who's right! Have at ye, foul dog!

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Na7e » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:59 pm

Man this movie isn't even emotional. The Kaworu/Shinji goodbye scene was so hamfisted I ended up laughing from how stupid it was.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:06 pm

View Original PostNa7e wrote:Man this movie isn't even emotional. The Kaworu/Shinji goodbye scene was so hamfisted I ended up laughing from how stupid it was.

I cried while watching it. ;_;

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:20 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:It's more piano.

Please let it be more piano.

:gunmouth:

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Even better -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_shogi

So the film was released on "Shogi day?" I thought you were all excited because the wikipedia article says that Shogi came from the mythical land of

SPOILER: Show
Tang
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:22 pm

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:In 2.0? yes. In 3.0? No.

I haven't watched the camrip, was referring to my memory from way back when, which I guess I was just remembering wrong.

By "first", I mean "before the scene of the screenshot that was posted", and was referring to this:

Which, is still in the shape of Rei, though it couldn't be the size of the head from GNR in EoE as it sits snuggly in the command center.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:41 pm

View Original PostNa7e wrote:Man this movie isn't even emotional. The Kaworu/Shinji goodbye scene was so hamfisted I ended up laughing from how stupid it was.

I miss the days when Kaworu's goodbye consisted of sweeping, psuedo-philosophical talk about death and Lilin punctuated by classical music and lines like "only one lifeform can be chosen to evade the destruction and seize the future, and you are not the existence which should die".

Oh Anno, why did you have to go and make that HAMMY!

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:41 pm

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:I cried while watching it. ;_;

It threw me into days of depression, every single tidbit of it, from start to finish presses out my soul like a lemon in a juicer.

And I didn't notice any lack of cyberpunk-style philosophy talk on Kaworu's side, either.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”