does Rei hate Asuka or is it just Asuka hates Rei?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
risu
Embryo

does Rei hate Asuka or is it just Asuka hates Rei?

•      
  •      

Postby risu » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:21 pm

or does Rei not know what hate is since she dosn't know what other emotions are through the beginning of the series.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Re: does Rei hate Asuka or is it just Asuka hates Rei?

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:41 pm

risu wrote:or does Rei not know what hate is since she dosn't know what other emotions are through the beginning of the series.

I don't think Rei hates anyone, on the other hand, Asuka says she hates everyone.

Or does she? <cue mysterious music>

risu
Embryo

Re: does Rei hate Asuka or is it just Asuka hates Rei?

•      
  •      

Postby risu » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:45 pm

Ornette wrote:
risu wrote:or does Rei not know what hate is since she dosn't know what other emotions are through the beginning of the series.

I don't think Rei hates anyone, on the other hand, Asuka says she hates everyone.

Or does she? <cue mysterious music>
who dosnt she?

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:57 pm

Rei doesn't hate anyone.

Asuka hates everyone, herself the most.

If you watched the show, you would know that.

ThroneofDravaris
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ThroneofDravaris » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:13 am

Rei I doesn't seem to like Gendo/Ritsuko very much. That's all I can think of.
BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:38 am

Rei doesn't even know hot to hate someone, therefore it's pretty difficult for her. I wouldn't say "hate", it seems more like "don't care".

On the other hand, about Asuka, well watch epi 22 and you'll get the idea!
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

risu
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby risu » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:08 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:Rei doesn't hate anyone.

Asuka hates everyone, herself the most.

If you watched the show, you would know that.

I watched the show I just couldn't tell if Rei hated Asuka, I know Asuka hates everyone.

Ejinathan
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ejinathan » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:28 pm

Its stil weird Asuka knows she hates herself..... ever seen somebody at age of 14 saying: i hate myself the most!
even if you have nothing left, just try to smile.
Even Goku smiles when he's about to die:D

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:01 pm

Ever see someone graduate from college at the age of 14?
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

Nukie
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Nukie » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:12 pm

the_seventh_child wrote:Rei doesn't even know hot to hate someone, therefore it's pretty difficult for her. I wouldn't say "hate", it seems more like "don't care".

Gonna have to disagree with you here.

When Rei sports the Longinus in ep 22, she clearly has an expression of hatred on her face. Rei, with an expression!?!?! HOMFGDJKSHKIGDFLI. She clearly cares about what is happening to Asuka.

She also gives advice to her about piloting the Eva when she clearly has no obligation to do so.
-!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:38 pm

Nukie wrote:When Rei sports the Longinus in ep 22, she clearly has an expression of hatred on her face.

"Hatred"? She's in the midst of a strenuous operation -- preparing to hit a target in orbit with a giant fork -- and she casts your 'expression of hatred' right before making the pitch. It's needless to interpret it as any more than a face of intense concentration/exertion, and a product of a strained situation.

Rei makes her neutral regard for the Angels rather clear in her dialogue with Armisael -- she expresses no resentment towards the one violating her. And she knows that the Angels are people. Participating in their systematic destruction is, I imagine, out of allegience to Gendo; but ultimately I think it would boil down to her bond "with all people", and that, much as we must kill other lifeforms for sustenance, so too must we end an opposing race if we are to be the survivers. But there is no hate.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:05 am

She was ready to bitch-slap Asuka in 16. Too bad Misato interupted them would have been funny.
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:09 am

Rei doesn't have emotions so much as she has stark or vague facsimiles of emotions that serve to act as crucial plot devices.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:15 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:Rei doesn't have emotions so much as she has stark or vague facsimiles of emotions that serve to act as crucial plot devices.

I CAN SEE WHERE THIS IS GOING.

Interestingly put. I agree in many ways; Rei has always felt more like a plot device / mystery element than an actual character to me. Unfortunate.

In before thread derailment; I can provide preexisting threads for anyone who feels prompted to provide follow-up commentary.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

chiefen
Tunniel
Tunniel

^_^ \/,,

•      
  •      

Postby chiefen » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:07 am

Well, she did slap Shinji. Or was that the Yui part? *dunn dunn dunn*
NGE, N. G. E., N. G. Evangelion, Neon Genesis Evangelion.

NOT Eva or EVA. Please. >_<

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Re: ^_^ \/,,

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:30 am

chiefen wrote:Well, she did slap Shinji. Or was that the Yui part? *dunn dunn dunn*

getting irritated or pissed off != hate

plus, he just insulted the person her life revolves around.

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:56 am

Ornette wrote:...getting irritated or pissed off != hate...

I disagree. Irritation and anger is not equivolent to "hate". I highly doubt Rei at any point was able to hate Shinji. Given how deep Rei II's bond with Gendo runs it makes sense that she'd be annoyed at Shinji there, but hatred...

Reguarding Asuka, her actions in ep. 16 seem more to demonstrate irritation at Asuka for reasons similar to her annoyance at Shinji in ep. 5 given the bond that she is forming with Shinji, and how Rei speaks to Asuka in ep. 22 during the elevator scene.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:58 am

chiefen wrote:Well, she did slap Shinji. Or was that the Yui part? *dunn dunn dunn*
Excellent point.

Rei is not a totally emotionless. Stolid certainly, but not without feeling. We see this in incident such as the slap in episode #5, her worry for Shinji and confrontation with Asuka in episode #16 and most importantly, her smile in episode #6. Look at her behaviour with Gendou in episode #5 as well.

Rei is someone who does have very deep emotions, but they rarely come to the surface.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:13 am

cat42 wrote:
Ornette wrote:...getting irritated or pissed off != hate...

I disagree. Irritation and anger is not equivolent to "hate". I highly doubt Rei at any point was able to hate Shinji. Given how deep Rei II's bond with Gendo runs it makes sense that she'd be annoyed at Shinji there, but hatred...

Reguarding Asuka, her actions in ep. 16 seem more to demonstrate irritation at Asuka for reasons similar to her annoyance at Shinji in ep. 5 given the bond that she is forming with Shinji, and how Rei speaks to Asuka in ep. 22 during the elevator scene.

!= is "not equal"

sorry about the confusion

brainDamage
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby brainDamage » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:36 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:Rei doesn't have emotions so much as she has stark or vague facsimiles of emotions that serve to act as crucial plot devices.

Rei ain't my favorite character in Eva by any leap of the imagination. That being said, I've come to see her as a character WITH character a little more than I used to. I do think she develops emotions by the end of the series and EoE, not unlike (Star Trek ref. coming up) Data in TNG, who is constantly attempting to "have" emotions and learn how to interpret them. An example that I can think of would be her reactionary slap to Shinji in the beginning when he "had no faith in his father's work." This was a pretty base reaction, with no real emotional value, (well maybe to Shinji.)

However, Rei's actions change into what I believe to be responses or attempts to express herself later in the film. She seems to at least develop a sense of just and fair behavior. She starts this when she lays the law down on Shinji for going off on a tyraid about his father. She continues this when she glares at Asuka for bad mouthing Shinji to make herself feel better. If you take EoE as law, then she finally responds to the emotional flashes of Gendo's specs, which I saw as her appreciation for him saving her, a special bond they shared. Her response, interestingly enough, is to suck his arm off, and float on up to Lilith, because "Ikari needs me." This flies in the face of Asuka's theory that Rei is merely a "puppet." Rei herself tells Gendo that she won't be his puppet.

If Rei does have emotions, then the progression of their development seems to carry on in the Rei continuum. Rei III sheds a tear as she looks at Gendo's glasses, unfortunately, it seems she doesn't quite know why (but people cry all the time without prompting.)

Do I think Rei has emotions? Yes, at least blurry and sublime ones that don't quite stream in clear conscious like Asuka's machine gun paced images of her mother's suicide and the resulting abandonment.

Do I think Rei knows what emotions are? Yes, at least as much as that she knows that other people feel them, and seem to know how to react to them, whereas Rei has them, but doesn't know the proper response to go with each emotion, and sometimes, doesn't do anything at all.

But I don't think she hates Asuka or anyone else for that matter.
"You don't know your own mind." -Jonathan Swift, Polite Conversation, 1738

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”