Asuka's role in 3.0 & Beyond

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:47 pm

View Original PostDarkwing wrote:Giant Naked Asuka was a joke. Although just imagining what would happen makes me grin.
"Shini you BAKA!" GNA starts Chasing Shinji in Unit-01 to beat him up.

Remember what happened last time Shinji got a peek? Instrumentality might have gone a little differently if Rei had given him a flying kick to the face :lol:

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:19 pm

View Original PostDarkwing wrote:Giant Naked Asuka was a joke.

A joke? I think this needs to be canon by 4.0.

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:12 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:This. The Evas' onboard displays are able to identify both the 12th and 13th Angels during the final battle, and the Nemesis units earlier. There are four Evas in the climax, and not one of them picks up an Angelic reading on Asuka or Unit 02. Whatever's going on with it, it doesn't seem to be dangerous in the Angel way, even if it is the side-effect of one.

That, and I seriously doubt Misato would let Asuka anywhere near an Eva if there was a remote chance her condition could cause trouble.

Desperate times call desperate matters, and if seele can have angel (kaworu), Misato can have her own.

Also the pattern blue detection means nothing, no one identified bardiel untill the eva activation and he was there the whole time, also pattern blue takes a while to register, its not a instantanous detection like in NGE, plus look at the mass of angel that would be in Asuka, maybe its not enough to register.
ANATA BAKA !?

Merior
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Merior » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:32 pm

View Original Postlibs wrote:As harsh and heartless as it seems, I don't blame Asuka for being so incredibily brutal with him. In that last scene, Shinji is not the only one suffering. He is not the only victim there. Asuka's brutality is more than justified by the sheer horror that she must have felt when she saw that vortex in the sky. Again. And, willingly or not, he was the source of that. If at first glance she's worried if he is alive or not, that vanishes as soon as her anger kicks in.

lol, why do you say she's being brutal? have u actually watched the last scene? (don't mean it in an offensive way).
She simply pushes Shinji with her foot, it is because of the guy's lack of reaction that he falls down. After that she actually tries to "cheer" him up (when she stretches his lips). It is true that Asuka is angry at him but you make it seem much worse than it is (probably still holding a personal grudge against him for what happened back in 2.0 among other things). If nothing else Asuka is one of the few ppl that still treat him like a human being. Even the first time she meets him she simply punches the glass once (saying it's for the pent up frustration) and then leaves. When you compare her attittude to that of Misato or the ppl on the bridge you can clearly see a difference.
Rei IV wrote:For a major character whose development got the "shaft" (once again) in 3.0, Asuka totally dominated, as well as kicked ass, in virtually all the scenes she appeared in. It's also no coincidence, IMHO, some of the best action scenes in the film featured her and Unit 02. I could empathize with her frustration at Shinji's dumb-assery (who happens to be someone I like more than her, as a character). It also was nice to see her show "affection" toward her Eva, apologizing to it for having to blow it up. Nice contrast to the "you're just my puppet" mindset she had in episode 22 in NGE.

That's probably a misunderstanding. While it is true that Asuka Soryu considered the eva a toy, she would have never accepted to destroy it in NGE. She was far too attached to it to accept that. Shikinami proves to be more mature by abandoning it, not by apologizing to it...
As for character development, we could say it was lacking for pretty much every character. It was more of a movie used to set up the stage for the sequel than anything else.

As for Asuka's future role, i think it will revolve around something only Asuka and Shinji can do together (as someone else pointed out). Mari says something during her last scene in the movie like "help the princess at least...". Asuka clearly didn't need immediate help in that situation so it could either be an important hint at future developments involving Asuka (provided the "princess" is Asuka) or Anno's way to tease the audience. The former seems more likely though.

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby driftking18594 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:11 pm

View Original Postbladerj wrote:Desperate times call desperate matters, and if seele can have angel (kaworu), Misato can have her own.

Also the pattern blue detection means nothing, no one identified bardiel untill the eva activation and he was there the whole time, also pattern blue takes a while to register, its not a instantanous detection like in NGE, plus look at the mass of angel that would be in Asuka, maybe its not enough to register.

I think that would be a callous thing for Misato to do. I think it is likely that Misato was involved in Asuka's recovery after Bardiel. Besides, if she had so much trouble blowing up Shinji - someone whom she supposedly hates - then I don't think it would be likely that she would sacrifice Asuka in such a way.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:17 pm

View Original Postdriftking18594 wrote:I think that would be a callous thing for Misato to do. I think it is likely that Misato was involved in Asuka's recovery after Bardiel. Besides, if she had so much trouble blowing up Shinji - someone whom she supposedly hates - then I don't think it would be likely that she would sacrifice Asuka in such a way.

Well, I proposed that if Asuka is the Eleventh Angel, by simply existing she contradicts Seele's scenario, so maybe all Misato has to do is keep her alive. I also think that the one who recovered Asuka from Nerv may have been Ritsuko, not Misato- since Ritsuko was the one who more involved in taking care of Asuka while she was in quarantine.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Chrad
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chrad » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:48 pm

View Original PostMerior wrote:As for Asuka's future role, i think it will revolve around something only Asuka and Shinji can do together (as someone else pointed out).

Asuka and Shinji being forced to set aside their differences to co-operate on something would be a neat payoff to the running theme of everyone in this universe failing to communicate.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:58 pm

View Original PostChrad wrote:Asuka and Shinji being forced to set aside their differences to co-operate on something would be a neat payoff to the running theme of everyone in this universe failing to communicate.

That's probably how it'll turn out, with Shinji and Asuka being forced to work together to do something important. If Shinji and Asuka actually get to talk, we might get more insight on what happened during the timeskip, and about Asuka's current feelings for Shinji.

And I'm nothing like you

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:01 am

View Original PostChrad wrote:Asuka and Shinji being forced to set aside their differences to co-operate on something would be a neat payoff to the running theme of everyone in this universe failing to communicate.

Dance Like You Want to Win in glorious Rebuild HD, as the ultimate climax for the series? Shut up and take my money.

UBERGEEKZILLA
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby UBERGEEKZILLA » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:22 am

View Original PostCJD wrote:Dance Like You Want to Win in glorious Rebuild HD, as the ultimate climax for the series? Shut up and take my money.

YES!!!! OMG YES!!!! that was my favorite moment and episode in the whole series lol.

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:54 am

View Original PostCJD wrote:Dance Like You Want to Win in glorious Rebuild HD, as the ultimate climax for the series? Shut up and take my money.

If something like that is to happen the preview teases us it will be mari the partner not Shinji. guess the tandem pilot fan art will finally get its due.
ANATA BAKA !?

Merior
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Merior » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:38 am

View Original Postbladerj wrote:If something like that is to happen the preview teases us it will be mari the partner not Shinji. guess the tandem pilot fan art will finally get its due.

Am i the only one who thinks that weird eva from the preview is going to have a single pilot? That eva seemed too "small" to need 2 pilots. Did i miss a double entry plug or something?
My guess is that it's probably going to be either Mari or Asuka but not together. Mari has alrdy proven to be compatible with Asuka's eva too.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:45 am

View Original PostMerior wrote:Am i the only one who thinks that weird eva from the preview is going to have a single pilot? That eva seemed too "small" to need 2 pilots. Did i miss a double entry plug or something?
My guess is that it's probably going to be either Mari or Asuka but not together. Mari has alrdy proven to be compatible with Asuka's eva too.

I still don't understand how or why Wille saw fit to stick the two Evas together. Not only does it seem overly complicated due to their limited resources, it doesn't really seem to increase the power of either Eva (at least judging from the preview trailer). They also seem to have disposed of a perfectly good half of Eva-08.

Well, if Asuka gets a solo rematch against the green MP Evas, by all means let her try. But only if she wins this time.

And I'm nothing like you

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:12 am

View Original PostMerior wrote:Am i the only one who thinks that weird eva from the preview is going to have a single pilot? That eva seemed too "small" to need 2 pilots. Did i miss a double entry plug or something?

It could use a tandem entry plug system! Anyway, it would be weird if it doesn't use both pilots imo, but at this point I completely stopped making speculations, after Q it's become pointless, for all we know Eva-02+08 and those green Eva MP could end up disappearing in another 14 years timeskip or something.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Merior
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Merior » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:53 am

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:It could use a tandem entry plug system! Anyway, it would be weird if it doesn't use both pilots imo, but at this point I completely stopped making speculations, after Q it's become pointless, for all we know Eva-02+08 and those green Eva MP could end up disappearing in another 14 years timeskip or something.

I guess what i was trying to say was that i rly can't see the advantage of having 2 pilots in one Eva (02+08) when Mari proved to be able to pilot both 02 and 08 without problems. The only thing they'd achieve by doing that is getting 2 pilots killed in case of a deafeat instead of only one. They may still do it for fanservice reason though (as a homage to older mecha shows).
I do remember Shinji and Asuka in episode 8 piloting the eva at the same time, but the situation was different...

Anyway, back on topic. What's up with Asuka (superhuman) strength? I don't think it's normal to break a glass panel that is probably built to resist explosions with a punch. Yet there was no reaction from Misato and Ritsuko. Is it one more hint of the fact that Asuka isn't human anymore and that both Misato and Ritsuko are aware of that?

Rodeo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rodeo » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:52 am

^That was fourteen years of pent-up anger and grief, not superhuman strength.

Merior
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Merior » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:42 pm

View Original PostRodeo wrote:^That was fourteen years of pent-up anger and grief, not superhuman strength.

Ye, that justifies the punch itself not the damage it does. Superhuman strength was an exaggeration but she still seems stronger than she should.
When she finds Shinji in the entryplug she carries him outside somehow. The only way out is to climb to the top of it and Shinji doesn't seem willing to do that. So, provided she carried him and climbed up, that's another proof of her unusual physical strength...

Rodeo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rodeo » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:58 pm

You're overthinking this. The glass cracking was just a cool visual accent, it's a common thing to see in anime.
How Asuka went about pulling Shinji out of the plug was apparently not significant enough to be shown. At best we may conclude that she's stronger than Shinji, but that's hardly news.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:42 pm

Actually the glass was very thick, she shouldn't have been able to crack it considering her teenager build, that scene was the first indication that Asuka is no ordinary girl (woman?) anymore.

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:34 pm

Good thing she hit the glass and not Shinji. Although I guess if she killed him it would have messed Gendo's plans up a bit.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”