3.0 Film Reaction Thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:54 am

$2.50? Let's not bring Damon Lindelof up to that level. :P

Anyways, I just finished watching 3.0 about 10 minutes ago.

I enjoyed it. I knew most of the spoilers coming in, but what surprised me was how much of the balance was shifted between focus on the characters and focus on the Evas beating the shit out of something that needed some killin'. I always had 1.11 and 2.22 pegged primarily as action movies, but 3.0 is, well, it's Evangelion in some form, that's for sure.

I'm going to have to watch this film again though before I can really find something more coherent to say about it. Despite the shitty camrip though, the animation was pretty gorgeous to look at, and some of those shots I can't wait to see on a proper Blu-Ray in the year 2675 when this film finally comes to the U.S.

AilesGrises
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby AilesGrises » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:44 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:And really, of all possible criticisms of Q, "cashgrabbing" is the one single thing that certainly doesn't apply. This is a movie that flat out does not do what the audience wants and includes mordern artsy montages and cyberpunk-ish philosophy talk.

(the emphasis was mine)

Except the audience does want these elements. It's one of the things that made the original series stand out. They're memorable. The weird thing to do would be instead to ignore this legacy in Evangelion's storytelling (visual and otherwise). NME has been a pretty safe remake so far, imo. They could've diverged from the original a lot more. Certainly more than just jamming in a couple or so "new" but ultimately pointless elements. The epitome of all this can be concisely exemplified with the spectacularly superfluous character that is Mari.
Last edited by AilesGrises on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

EvaBrothers
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaBrothers » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:24 am

Well, some spoilers (that I allowed myself to read) didn't ruin it at all. Actually, they probably saved me from a mild anxiety attack, since I tend to lose contact with reality when I watch something. Anyway...

... I'm not sure whether Shinji's going to survive in 4.0, at this point. Compared to the series and EoE, the impact on his psyche is a lot more terrible in 3.0 (especially from Kaworu's death and the results of 3I). I hope he doesn't commit suicide in the final movie.

As for the animation, it was amazing. :asuka_happy: Detailed, clean and smooth. The movie was well-paced overall. I really hope it will be in our cinemas within a year.
Last edited by EvaBrothers on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ Luana Spinetti ~ [email protected] (Email)
Note: I'm no longer the author of the fanfiction "Eva Brothers from Cybertron". I passed authorship to a friend (Lia Dospetti) who's turning it into her own work, while still maintaining homages to NGE and Transformers, as well as Star Trek. I still draw the artworks, though, and I have some fragments of the old fanfic here.

BiQ
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby BiQ » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:45 am

Shinji committing suicide is something I could have understood during 3.0, even moreso in 4.0. However, that is one thing that is simply NOT going to happen, because there's absolutely nothing that would be so antithetical to everything evangelion, any of it, has ever been until this point.

At most, he might try it but fail. Either because someone (Misato or Asuka, with even more of anger and disappointment) stops him or because he decides to fear death/like life too much to do it at the last moment.
The art of being grown up, the dirty little secret nobody lets on about, is that it's all about getting comfortable with acting the part, and reaching that point where you stop giving a fuck, and do stuff that needs to be done, because it just needs doing, and ain't nobody else going to do it for you. -Mr. Tines

EvaBrothers
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaBrothers » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:08 am

You're right, BiQ. I don't think Anno will let him commit suicide. But a real person in his shoes would have tried it. The state he was at the end of 3.0 spoke some of that.

If anything, in all versions of the Evangelion story, no matter what happens, Shinji stays attached to life somehow. Even if it were just mere survival instinct.

Asuka's behavior in the last scene touched me a bit. She was rude and kind of violent, but she still cared about him. She didn't let him die there.

I also loved the final scene with the three Children together.
~ Luana Spinetti ~ [email protected] (Email)
Note: I'm no longer the author of the fanfiction "Eva Brothers from Cybertron". I passed authorship to a friend (Lia Dospetti) who's turning it into her own work, while still maintaining homages to NGE and Transformers, as well as Star Trek. I still draw the artworks, though, and I have some fragments of the old fanfic here.

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Atropos » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:15 am

I honestly wish more time had been spent with the Wille crew, developing their motives and reason for turning against Nerv. As it was, they were mostly a plot device.

The good stuff: Pretty much everything once we get to Nerv HQ. I'm iffy on the final scene being a rehash of 2.0, but I like how the emotional parts were handled.

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:35 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:What I get from that scene is not so much "We still care" but "Death is too good for you, face the shit you have done." that and "You failed, all your suffering and honest feelings of wanting to help are worthless, only the bottom line counts to us." and most of all, "Nobody cares at all".
The STATE he's in, and Asuka treats it like a joke, pulling at his face and using him as a football...

ReiQ: [Insert morbidly funny reply here]

did you actually watched the new camrip ? her voice tone when she is giving Shinji a survivalpack is that of a motherly person tending to her child, she is clearly taking care of him seeing that she knows he wont do it himself, she doesnt kick him, she kicks him out of his SHELL,its a simbolic thing more then agression,or did you failed to see her out of breath to check on him? why didnt she go check on her teammate mari first ? thats what the military operatives do. Becouse she was concerned at Shinji.

All you who called her mature and adult failed, you can see the movie she is still the same old Asuka, EVERY scene she talks to Shinji she is still standing on TOP of something as being above the others.

Misato didnt change much at all either,she is still reckless and cares about Shinji, she alowed Asuka into the quarentine becouse she knew that Shinji needed a familiar face he cared and that Asuka needed to vent, just watch the scene where she is on the phone with mari, she speak like a teenager who had just broke up or fight with her boyfriend.

And we can see how much Shinji cares for her becouse the word that most hurted him was her "why didnt you come to save me ?" he clenchs and curls even more, to anyone watching the movie it seems she was refering to her forced ejection, but its clear she is talking about the bardiel event.
ANATA BAKA !?

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:37 am

In addition to my little write-up back on page four, I'll reiterate that this is hands down my favourite in the NTE sequence so far.

I'm seeing a lot of people knocking the "slow parts" of the movie, or just the middle section in general. That's crazy talk. Those are probably what I find most enjoyable about Q - Though, I guess viewers who aren't able to empathise with Shinji's plight won't care for it.

And really, of all possible criticisms of Q, "cashgrabbing" is the one single thing that certainly doesn't apply. This is a movie that flat out does not do what the audience wants and includes mordern artsy montages and cyberpunk-ish philosophy talk.

Absolutely, and that's why I adore it to bits!

:kawaii:

Bring on Final, I say.

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:27 am

Oh, and lets not forget the early spoilers that said Asuka turned into an angel and Shinji had to kill her. There were a bunch of people screaming "ruined forever". I personally was sorta upset, but as Rei is my favorate, I'm kinda getting used to that kind of thing. Still hope it doesn't happen next movie though.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:09 am

My favorite of those was - Mari is revealed to be Shinji & Asuka's time travelling daughter!

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:31 am

so I just watched 3.0, albeit in the recently floating camrip form.

Well...there's a lot about it I like but at the same time, quite a few aspects ended up leaving me a little high and dry.

In some way, my emotional reaction to the film was very akin to the one I had to David Cronenberg's Cosmopolis. Both films are pretty emotionally detached, but to be fair I liked 3.0 more than Cosmopolis (not saying I hated Cosmopolis, which I didn't), but they were both tonally cold in their own individual way.

Heck, I think my mixed feelings towards 3.0 is also akin to some regarding Alien 3, another extremely divisive third entry which also happened to be extremely grim and full of hopelessness. While I love how outright nihilistic Fincher's brutally meddled film is, i'm not so sure about 3.0's extremely harsh nature. Yeah End of Evangelion had it's own fair share of nihilism and dirt kicking in eyes, I think it pulled that off a lot better than 3.0.

Anyhow, enough rambling. I pretty much have mixed emotions towards 3.0, which wasn't the case with the first two and I can really see why some folks will not like this movie at all, even more so than EoE and EoTV. Will gladly buy the DVD once it comes out though and will rewatch it again in a heartbeat once a good res rip arrives, plus it's hands down a better movie than 1.0, as was 2.0.
Last edited by GasmaskAvenger on Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:09 am

EvaBrothers wrote:... I'm not sure whether Shinji's going to survive in 4.0, at this point. Compared to the series and EoE, the impact on his psyche is a lot more terrible in 3.0 (especially from Kaworu's death and the results of 3I). I hope he doesn't commit suicide in the final movie.

It's more that he fundamentally can't end himself.
He doesn't have what it takes, that has always been a fundamental fact of his character.
It's not that he hasn't reached that point yet, it's that what he's currently feeling is probably worse than death.

Still, I was positively surprised that there wasn't at least another failed attempt in 3.0, given that he gets more punishment that ever before.
But some things from the end of 2.0 did stick, I guess.

Of course, none of that helps after the whole 4I fiasco. He was probably hoping for Asuka to leave him.
He's right next to where Kaworu's remains would've been were the interface still active, that scene does have a strong air of some resulotion to just die along with him...

But he won't be granted even that...
After everyone praising it as an "aww, she still cares" moment, I was thoroughly shocked/unprepared for the brutality of the final scene...

I just hope this is meant to be his "darkest hour" and that final will fix it somehow, even if it's only in EoEs "Well, it could theoretically get better" way.

I mean, the analytic parts in me tell me, Anno won't kill him off after all his talk of hope, he may have to part with Rei, but he's gonna live and he's gonna findv the will to go on...

But then, I look at the bleakness, I look at my feelings and I can't imagine how he could survive this. Someone's gonna lynch him sooner or later.
They may defeat NERV and the young generation like, Sakura, Hideki, Midori, they'll go recolonize the planet, but there's no place for Shinji in this world, he's a specter of the past that may need to go for this world to live and bloom again in new ways.
So, Anno better have a good, astonishing plan. But I think I'd probably accept the most ludicrous asspull if it means Shinji gets to live.

I just keep imagining him bleeding out from some gunshot wound.
Either courtesy of Misato ("Sorry, but we don't need any more impacts. This is my responsibility because I let youv live. Please die.") or Midori (a bit like Matsuda being the one to go apeshit on Light after finding out the truth...) or a random civilain.
I keep seeing it, they've won, they're about to dismantle the Wunder, cue random civilain: "You killed my father. Prepare top die. POP."
And his last words will be something like "I guess I deserve this. Was I able to atone... at least a little?"

It's probably a failing of mine but I can't see the way out. My brain says there must be one, but where?
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:50 am

After sleeping on it, I really think the movie should have been two hours. that's because, like many people, I really want to know more about those 14 years between movies. I really want to know more about Misato and Asuka and the entire Wille crew,Sakura how they formed, what they had to do to survive during the time. as it was, there a lot of new interesting people to know and meet and learn about, but they are pulled away after 20 minutes and are rarely seen again.

the positive side of this is that we are now on this journey with Shinji. we know just as much as he does, and we learn every piece of information alongside with him. as such, we become just as frustrated and depressed as he is, it becomes easier for, me at least, to understand why he does what he does. I understand why Kawrou is the only one he can trust anymore, everyone else puts him down. his dad doesn't talk to him, Rei has become as interesting, complex, and friendly as drywall, and I fully get why he becomes so desperate to fix things at the end that he ignores everyone around him resulting in another failure. I also thought that there was going to be a scene where Misato pushes the trigger on the dss choker, but it just kind of goes off on its own, I thought that was some dramatic potential lost.

I think 4.0 will shed some more light on Wille now that Asuka is dragging Shinji through the desert. this will be the perfect opportunity for Asuka to provide more exposition, and we will probably learn more whenever they reach the destination they are headed for. the one thing I'm worried about that instrumentality is scheduled to happen in the next film, and I don't want it to take up the entire movie the way that the Kawrou/Shinji relationship took up this one, there's so much new stuff to learn about that I don't want to go over the same journey I went through in EoE. I love that movie, but I've seen it many times before, and I want to see other characters shine in 4.0 before the main climax of instrumentality.

One last thing I forgot to say, the battles in 3.0 were by far best Ive ever seen in Eva history! Loved it!
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:22 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:I'm not sure what is being more entertaining here -- LASfags desperately assuring themselves that their ship is still afloat; or the double standards being shown towards violence between the two of them in the aftermath of global disaster.

Not sure what you mean by double standards considering how different the context is. Simplifying it to "aftermath of a global disaster" loses a lot of relevant details.

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:My favorite of those was - Mari is revealed to be Shinji & Asuka's time travelling daughter!

Still wishing it was true!

transcendent12
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby transcendent12 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:41 am

My god... I just watched the cam rip. I am completely blown away. I never have sat down to think what I expected it to be like, nor the effect it would have on me; but it certainly had an effect.

I got nothing on specifics right now except that I'm glad eva took a turn in this general direction. As entertaining as the first 2 movies were, I'd never have really been satisfied with calling rebuild a favourite had it continued in a similar vein which was more cool factor than anything else. Essentially I needed a dose of EOE.

I admit I'm not really much of a critic but even so, sometimes when I see a film there are some things which just don't stick, make too little sense/logic or are just unbelievable. Other times, things can be so crazy or fantastical but will hold its own. I NEVER look for plot holes or try predicting events ahead of what I've seen. 3.0 in this respect is something I can almost COMPLETELY accept : The complete lack of information outside Shinji's view. Minimal characterisation of other characters. Sure I'm curious and wondering, but I can accept how it was presented. The only part which detached me slightly was Shinji's desperation to remove the 2 spears regardless of the fore-warning from kaworu, there was a bit of "noooo why are you doing this Shinji?!" in my mind; but this is a Shinji who is totally ruined his characterisation has been hammered so far and hard in the same themes and direction, it's certainly something I can imagine he'd do under his situation.

It was really sad to see so much loss of friendship with Shinji and all the people from 14 years ago. Like Shinji, I don't know what's up with them but they barely acknowledge him. They have of course grown 14 years and he's pretty much left behind. The ending reprieved this slightly but it certainly feels as of now that the relationship between Shinji and Asuka is almost irrevocably changed. I say that in light of what eva is, if eva were anything else, 4.0 would have some heavy doses of redemption, fighting together and then Shinji growing up and being happy. Instead, we have something I think is pretty rare in the medium of story telling: Cold hard no drama reality.

That's what eva kind of is to me, it's a juxtaposition of improbable giant organic godlike robots with somewhat pretentious symbolism and plot devices. It's characters are almost one dimensional in their traits, you could sum them up in a few generic terms and tropes. But after all this there is something very unique about its message and the realism of the way the characters yield, give up, break. I've always though calling eva depressing was a massive disservice to the series. Though the oppressive darkness of 3.0 I think is more depressing than the original. I think this is a suitable transition and evolution to the cinema screen.

Fleshing out the other characters in a more traditional way would definitely be easier to digest from a film watcher's point of view.
But as I already said earlier, I can just accept whatever is thrown at me. Anno has done an amazing job here in my opinion. I don't feel trolled but suitably shaken. Even this feeling of unsatisfaction of information... call me masochistic but it feels organic and relevant. The choices made here to me are not particularly for better or for worse. Hell, if they had made it 3 hours long with full fleshed out character development I'd also have enjoyed it, feeling satisfied awesome characters such as Asuka finally were given justice which wasn't given in 2.0; and there would stilll have been enough of the dramatic events and story to appreciate the darkness and Shinji's despair.....but it is what it is. And somehow...I'm content.

Just need the blu-ray and 4.0. To which I have absolutely NO expectations given what I just saw in 3. Happy ending/tragic ending I am confident that whatever Anno has chosen will be true to what eva was meant to be and what it will be. Rebuild is definitely not just a rehash but an evolution and should only be compared to the original with copious amounts of salt.

So much rambling, and undoubtedly so little sense. I stopped long cohesive text years ago. It's all just 1 shot thoughts and as badly punctuated. So I apologise to anyone who has gone through the inevitable pain of reading my impressions.

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:04 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:I would have expected the opposite from someone who answers to the name of Arael, the psychiatrist angel, but it's fine for today.

Like what?

Now that I've slept over the film I'm starting to lean towards that it was really good: far, FAR from what was expected; bringing forth many new Evas and taking the story to a brand new finale... Although I think the wait was way too much for a film that I find animation and technical-wise easier than 2.0...
Other than that and the inclusion of new exploitable things (name them figures, clothing and whatever they can concoct out of it) I find the film really good... Ask me again in a week -_-

Also, topic aside...
SPOILER: Show
When you think of it, Q takes the story to points near 24 and 25':
Kaworu dead; Shinji in and after-rape-like-state; Misato knows who is the puppetmaster and Gendo is ready for 4th (or 5th?) Impact... Differences are Asuka awake and Ritsuko not homicidal... So we can at least expect an EoE-like ending
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:26 pm

SEELE-01 wrote:
SPOILER: Show
When you think of it, Q takes the story to points near 24 and 25':
Kaworu dead; Shinji in and after-rape-like-state; Misato knows who is the puppetmaster and Gendo is ready for 4th (or 5th?) Impact... Differences are Asuka awake and Ritsuko not homicidal... So we can at least expect an EoE-like ending

Some elements of the movie bear a lot of similarities with the last half of episode 23 and episode 24 of the series, basically elevating them to much greater proportions (i.e. Shinji's friends are no longer around and Kaworu is the only person willing to relate to him, also the Rei he once knew is gone and he doesn't know what to make of this new iteration of her).

Anyway, regarding 4.0 I have a feeling that the new Eva series (which we see the fused unit-8+2 battling in the preview) is going to be composed of the missing Evas (7, 10, 11, 12) since I doubt they will have time to produce any other in the course of the next movie (unless Anno time leaps again in a major troll move).

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:03 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:My favorite of those was - Mari is revealed to be Shinji & Asuka's time travelling daughter!

I'll do even better. She's Shinji & Asuka & Rei's daughter! How is that possible? The Bardiel incident left Asuka unable to carry a child to term. Rei can't conecive. Solution? Have Rei act as a surrogate for Shinji and Asuka's baby! Kaworu is the Godfather.

On a serious note a huge challenge will be making the ending one the audience will buy. Having Shinji be alive and able to find happiness is going to be much harder to sell than a redemption equals death. Sadly I'm sure Rei will get screwed over again.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:37 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:Not sure what you mean by double standards considering how different the context is. Simplifying it to "aftermath of a global disaster" loses a lot of relevant details.
Relevant details like, Shinji strangling Asuka being entirely unprovoked but hand-waved away by his apologists; whereas Asuka, lacking the forbearance of a saint, lashing out at Shinji in understandable fashion following provocation, is being condemned.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:08 pm

View Original PostDarkwing wrote: Sadly I'm sure Rei will get screwed over again.

But now there's a very good chance there are TWO Rei's! Poka Poka Rei captured in Unit 01 & Kuro Rei from 3.0. I get a feeling 4.0 could possibly feature Multiple Rei's.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”