Will Shinji Ever Find Love In The End?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Na7e » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:46 pm

Umm...while I agree with the premise that Shinji and Asuka will find happiness in each others arms because the time for romance has passed, and Asuka doesn't hold him in high regard. That being said...I wouldn't be surprised if he tried latching onto Asuka for no other reason than her being the only one left.
Last edited by Na7e on Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

libs
Embryo

Postby libs » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:01 pm

Sorry, I have to disagree here. Sohryu and Shikinami are clearly different characters. Yes, they have the same personality basis, but the different backgrounds lead to distinguished intensities on some of their traits, resulting in two separate characters by the age of 14. Shikinami is even portrayed by the seiyuu in a different manner. And if you consider the events in Q, the discrepancy is even bigger. Shikinami did (and does) things Sohryu would never allow herself to do, she seems somewhat more "open minded".
Concerning Shinji's love possibilities, I guess things look really bad for him right now. I would go with the "if by the end of 4.0 he's able to at least love himself a little bit, it'll be more than enough" scenario. Although I don't rule anything out, since it's Anno we are dealing with here.

UBERGEEKZILLA
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby UBERGEEKZILLA » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:36 pm

in the end this is anno..for all we know Shinji and pen pen might get together

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:01 am

Wrote it before and I'll write it again: NME-Shinji first has to mature and learn to love himself before any romantic relationships could even be considered.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Redtophat » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:22 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Wrote it before and I'll write it again: NME-Shinji first has to mature and learn to love himself before any romantic relationships could even be considered.
Too bad by then everyone will most likely be dead :3

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Rei IV » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:44 am

View Original PostNa7e wrote:Umm...while I agree with the premise that Shinji and Asuka will find happiness in each others arms because the time for romance has passed, and Asuka doesn't hold him in high regard. That being said...I wouldn't be surprised if he tried latching onto Asuka for no other reason than her being the only one left.

Well, that's pretty much what happened in EoE. I don't think it's a stretch he'll attempt to do exactly that in 4.0., just out of desperation. This is Shinji we're talking about.

I doubt they'll be romantically involved at any point in Rebuild but Asuka really doesn't seem to harbor that much malice or even hatred for him. Asuka treats Shinji the way she's always treated him. Only this time, it's more emphasis on him being a child/brat and the fact he's become the subject of irritation for her as well. I honestly believe they'll be some form of reconciliation between the two at some point. You know, her conscious being "that baka-Shinji isn't that bad".

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Na7e » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:57 am

View Original PostRei IV wrote:I doubt they'll be romantically involved at any point

Sorry, I agree with that. My autocorrect on my Iphone is irritating. I meant to say Shinji and Asuka becoming romantically involved is probably not going to happen.

View Original PostRei IV wrote:I honestly believe they'll be some form of reconciliation between the two at some point. You know, her conscious being "that baka-Shinji isn't that bad".

Ehh...I'm rooting for a bad end just for the lolz considering how people reacted to 3.0. But, really I would be fine if they never reconciled, and would find it far more satisfying if Asuka just told him to kill himself, him offering up a heartful apology, and accepting that she'll probably never like him again, and just plain moving on with his life.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Rei IV » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:09 am

View Original PostNa7e wrote:But, really I would be fine if they never reconciled, and would find it far more satisfying if Asuka just told him to kill himself, him offering up a heartful apology, and accepting that she'll probably never like him again, and just plain moving on with his life.

Maybe Anno will troll the hell out of the audience and Asuka x Shinji shippers doing something like that. Who knows what shit he'll pull.

:hahaha:

But yeah, I guess I'm not against that because ultimately, the Shinji would need to like himself as person before EVER pursing relationships with people (romantic or otherwise). It would also signify the (or his need) need to change and stop dwelling in the past.

UBERGEEKZILLA
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby UBERGEEKZILLA » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:44 am

View Original PostRei IV wrote:Maybe Anno will troll the hell out of the audience and Asuka x Shinji shippers doing something like that. Who knows what shit he'll pull.

:hahaha:

But yeah, I guess I'm not against that because ultimately, the Shinji would need to like himself as person before EVER pursing relationships with people (romantic or otherwise). It would also signify the (or his need) need to change and stop dwelling in the past.

while many consider anno a troll because of end of evangelion i dont think this is the case for the rebuild series. i think he has already thought the whole plot out ( and did before the first rebuild was released). while he has made some significant changes in rebuild i dont feel hes doing it just to troll. people make it sound like hes currently writing the script for 4.0 when really i think he already has done it. either way once 4.0 comes out im sure no one will have gotten close to predicting it. for all we know 4.0 will take place 40 years later, karouw will be the father of mari, pen pen will be the leader of seele, and in the end Shinji will be the final angel and he kills everyone.

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Legendary » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:39 am

Considering that the general impression I have of Q's development is that they had to heavily rewrite it a little bit ago, I'm going to say that betting on Anno having it all planned out is a bad idea.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:50 am

View Original PostJune wrote:It'll all end the same though, everyone but the non-shippers crying over their dream OTP's being crushed by Final's ending :D

And I'll maniacally laugh while raving something about the next loop.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:39 am

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:And I'll maniacally laugh while raving something about the next loop.

Considering Kaworu's track record so far...

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

Postby bladerj » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:59 am

View Original PostDarkwing wrote:Aww, she's just jelous. Don't be Asuka, Shinji totally threw a world threatening tantrum over you too.

And I wouldn't say it was just for one person when he was in Unit-13.

A) she doesnt know.

B) seemed to me she wasnt concerned at all about whoever was piloting unit 13 untill she heard Shinji,also kaworu did not comunicate outwards prior;

and for all we know (speculation) if willie was attacking activating evas,that means Asuka and mari were MURDERING children their age prior to that fight scene.

@Kendrix : "Regardless of how adult Asuka actually is"

There is NO ADULT Asuka, she is still Asuka, her brain is still one of a teenager she still has the same hormones levels, she only has experience of hardship lived life while Shinji is still the same, hence why she views him as a brat. Didnt you ever condencent another friend from your age who behaves like he was younger,same applies.

And i'm not shipping, i dont thing this series will end with shipping,sakura and new bunnies will problably die tragically.

"What did 2.0!Asuka want from him? A comerade, an equal. A support when she feels lonely at night. Is he in any way still her equal? How is that clueless out of place boy supposed to support her? Does she even still need that support?

You completely missed the point, Asuka viewed herself as the better and needing to prove so, she though Shinji was prefered due to parental influence, when she realized he struggled just the same as her she tried to connect /reach to him,that's where the bond or crush came from, in the end he was just as childish in his motives as she was.

What came to me out of left field was Shinji tantrum towards her,since we are not shown him having the slightest affection towards her except a blush when she was naked or slept by his side,but then again that is just a Japanese thing, any western boy would have a big grin on his face instead.

"and in the finale, she stopped because she was schocked, not reluctant. Her reaction is more like "How dare you!" and she proceeds with some rather brutal attempts to skewer him with a polearm. Have you seen the camrip? "

Really ? so why did she stop the attack and RETREATED ? There is no reason she would stop the attack only by shock, if she really wanted him dead she would continue to corrode his AT field, futile attempt or not.

She wanted to stop him not kill, did you not see how she fought Rei's eva and changed to beast mode ? if she really wanted Shinji dead, why didnt she switch mode then ?

Her reaction "you dare hit a girl" when Shinji pimp slaped her eva is pretty telling that she was holding back on him.
ANATA BAKA !?

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Redtophat » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:22 am

View Original PostCJD wrote:Considering Kaworu's track record so far...
He's working on a timeline/world that he and only he will become Shinji's Husabandu, he can't let Asuka or Mari take that place and Rei isn't fit for Shinji as his waifu in Kaworu's eyes. The feelings in that piano scene weren't of kinship and understanding, but of Lust!

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:59 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Asuka is most great!

Only the most deluded or persistant of shippers could ever think that there was a chance for Shinji and Asuka in Rebuild. It just wasn't in the cards. That choice was mutual- Shinji didn't pursue her romantically, and Asuka let him go because she saw -and apparently cared!- that Rei got there first, so to speak, even if she was ultimately doing it for the wrong reasons and was cosmically punished for it. The way I remember it, Asuka's expressed interest in him for the few days or weeks they were together was pretty one-sided.

If you ask me, the little bitch didn't do enough damage to the Geofront in her name. It's all ~On my precious Rei, my delicate flower who likes my soup~

Shikinami and Soryu aren't the same characters, anyway. If anything, her being named Asuka and resembling Soryu is just a reference or an homage to the original series.

QFT. All of it.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:17 am

View Original PostJune wrote:He's working on a timeline/world that he and only he will become Shinji's Husabandu, he can't let Asuka or Mari take that place and Rei isn't fit for Shinji as his waifu in Kaworu's eyes.

Shinji deserves both a husubando (Kaworu) and a waifu (Rei) in my eyes, why am I such a big dreamer?
View Original PostJune wrote: The feelings in that piano scene weren't of kinship and understanding, but of Lust!

Effectively I'm looking forward the visuals of this film to better understand their relationship, Kaworu avoided using the words "I love you" this time around but body language can be even more important than words when it comes to express your feelings.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby driftking18594 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:35 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Would Soryu ignore the rest of the class to play a video game? Would Soryu talk to a hand puppet of herself? Would she cook dinner for Shinji? Would she simply accept Rei catching her slap, or step out of Rei's way and surrender a perceived goal for her?

Partly, I don't want them to be the same, because then I would cry. But they really aren't.

Shikinami would do things that would make Soryu look like this:

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:40 pm

View Original Postdriftking18594 wrote:Shikinami would do things that would make Soryu look like this:

But Soryu already looks like that.

OT: Shinji will find Love in The End, but probably not in the way we expect it. Kwaoru revival, calling it now.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Lucretius » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:30 am

Will Space Stalin find happiness with one of the lovely bacherlorettes he sent to the gulag? Clearly this is the most important unresolved question thus far.

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:26 am

No, no he won't. I bet he's regretting chasing after his mom/Rei now.
BAKA!

What's done is done. Now he has to learn to love himself. because nobody else will
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”