FanFiction Requests/Recommendations/Discussion etc.

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:47 am

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:the products of the past 3-4 years only,
Point taken. When I was seriously devouring Eva fics, it was 2004, and all the uncovered back-story that we now have was still hidden away in odd Japanese language sources, so fics that weren't just c. episode 12 LAS/LRS/LRA fluff had a high level of guessing at what was going on behind the scenes.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:11 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Look at this little gem here.

That was the shizznit. Reducing Asuka to one of her baser characterizations, yeah, but the offscreen rawrmance with philosophical essays? Oh yeah.

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby driftking18594 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:37 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:BTW any Q-related-Fanfiction yet?
I've seen a few K/S pieces, and one that somehow incorporated
SPOILER: Show
grownup!Sakura
into the original 'verse, but the movie is full of all sorts of of things that are worthy of a little feels-discharge-oneshot.
I feel that in partcilurar,
SPOILER: Show

the Shinji vs. Asuka battle should've yielded heartwrenching oneshots by now.

I'm waiting on Asuka/Mari fanfics. :nyao:

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:19 pm

View Original Postdriftking18594 wrote:I'm waiting on Asuka/Mari fanfics. :nyao:

I'm working on one, sort of. Isn't the focus, though.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:43 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:I can't believe it's the guy's first fic.

It's Lonely at the Top wrote:That didn't bother her that much, however, the fact that Shinji thinks that he can be the fist and get away with it bother her a lot.

I can.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby driftking18594 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:41 pm

That has put all sorts of images into my head. :shinchair:

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:58 pm

Pfft, lightweight.

Anyway, Kaworu's name can be both male and female, right? Or does it have to be Kaoru to be androgynous? The only reference I can find to it being spelled/transliterated as Kaworu is Kaworu Nagisa, anyway.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:26 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Or does it have to be Kaoru to be androgynous?
The wo syllable is an archaism and is nowadays replaced by o in most normal use. Especially, writing カヲル rather than カオル is a bit like uſing the hiſtorical elongated form of the 19th letter of the alphabet.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:50 pm

I'm actually kind of torn. I'm wondering if using a female Kaworu in this project I'm working on is a copout. I'm afraid the fanbase will rebel against me if I depict Shinji as even bisexual, much less gay. I'm already planning to include a lesbian romance, so I feel double-bad about it since it smacks of me exploiting WOO LESBIANS for fan service purposes when I'm not trying to do that.
the prophecy is true

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:03 pm

If in doubt, don't pair Shinji with anyone.

That will solve most of the problems about fans whining due to Shinji not being shipped with the character of their choice.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:05 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I'm actually kind of torn. I'm wondering if using a female Kaworu in this project I'm working on is a copout. I'm afraid the fanbase will rebel against me if I depict Shinji as even bisexual, much less gay. I'm already planning to include a lesbian romance, so I feel double-bad about it since it smacks of me exploiting WOO LESBIANS for fan service purposes when I'm not trying to do that.

Those are some weird hangups, I gotta say. Surely you know of the huge KxS fanbase.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:06 pm

The nature of the story demands it. I'm concerned that a love triangle between Shinji, a girl and a boy will tank my chances of spreading my Glory and Fame with this one. If it were a shorter/less intensive story I'd be less worried, but it's my flagship for 2013 and I'm already 30,000 words into the prologue, hammering out the details.

Also, I like writing romance.

Don't look at me.

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Those are some weird hangups, I gotta say. Surely you know of the huge KxS fanbase.

I do, but I don't see much overlap between that part of the fanbase and the sort that might be interested in the type of story I'm working on.
the prophecy is true

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

Postby BobBQ » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:07 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I'm concerned that a love triangle between Shinji, a girl and a boy will tank my chances of spreading my Glory and Fame with this one.

If you can do it well, then do it. Damn the haters, full speed ahead!

EvaBrothers
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby EvaBrothers » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:22 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I'm afraid the fanbase will rebel against me if I depict Shinji as even bisexual, much less gay.

Far as I remember, every fan or group of fans may have contrasting ideas and still be part of the fandom. :) They can't rebel against you because you have as much right to get creative with the fandom as much as they can. Sounds fair, doesn't it?

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:fans whining due to Shinji not being shipped with the character of their choice.

Personal tastes aside, I think fans in general should look beyond that kind of stuff. The pairing might not be of their choice, but if they're willing to keep their curiosity alive, they may end up enjoying the infinite diversity of the fandom.

Okay, just sharing a bit of my own fandom-related philosophy here.
~ Luana Spinetti ~ [email protected] (Email)
Note: I'm no longer the author of the fanfiction "Eva Brothers from Cybertron". I passed authorship to a friend (Lia Dospetti) who's turning it into her own work, while still maintaining homages to NGE and Transformers, as well as Star Trek. I still draw the artworks, though, and I have some fragments of the old fanfic here.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:30 pm

View Original PostEvaBrothers wrote:They can't rebel against you because you have as much right to get creative with the fandom as much as they can.

Tell that to the asses who provoked Gregg Landsman into canceling Nobody Dies because they insisted the author doesn't know a thing about characterizations he wrote himself.

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby driftking18594 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:22 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I'm actually kind of torn. I'm wondering if using a female Kaworu in this project I'm working on is a copout. I'm afraid the fanbase will rebel against me if I depict Shinji as even bisexual, much less gay. I'm already planning to include a lesbian romance, so I feel double-bad about it since it smacks of me exploiting WOO LESBIANS for fan service purposes when I'm not trying to do that.

It's 2013. You would think that you wouldn't get a shitload of hate for writing a well-written yuri story.

Rommel
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Rommel » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:28 pm

I should hope not, since that's exactly what I'm doing.

PS: At the risk of sounding like a self-centered jerk, I recently made a boatload of revisions to Genocide chapters 7 and 8. If you guys want to check them out they are up on FFN.

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

Postby Clover » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:46 pm

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:Tell that to the asses who provoked Gregg Landsman into canceling Nobody Dies because they insisted the author doesn't know a thing about characterizations he wrote himself.

It's seriously over? I thought it was extended hiatus.

EvaBrothers
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby EvaBrothers » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:19 pm

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:Tell that to the asses who provoked Gregg Landsman into canceling Nobody Dies because they insisted the author doesn't know a thing about characterizations he wrote himself.

What I said regarded the self-confidence side of the issue. I've been there (with FF and original fiction) and after canceling, interrupting or drowning my works in tears, I thought: "You know what? The heck to them! I'll do it anyway. Not like they're gods, are they?". There will be no change until we're scared of others' opinions. The worst thing we can do is to give up because someone else is so sure they can have the last word.

I hope Gregg will give his work another chance one day.
Last edited by EvaBrothers on Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Luana Spinetti ~ [email protected] (Email)
Note: I'm no longer the author of the fanfiction "Eva Brothers from Cybertron". I passed authorship to a friend (Lia Dospetti) who's turning it into her own work, while still maintaining homages to NGE and Transformers, as well as Star Trek. I still draw the artworks, though, and I have some fragments of the old fanfic here.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:56 pm

View Original PostClover wrote:It's seriously over? I thought it was extended hiatus.

Allow me to quote the Man himself, pieced together from multiple posts on Spacebattles:
Gregg wrote:I am hesitant to get back to Eva writing in the first place, as Nobody Dies needs to die in a fucking fire.
[...]

Well, people in this case more or less means every single person who contacts me about it. I'm still getting people telling me that I absolutely cancelled out all character development with the dream, despite repeatedly showing in the story that it wasn't an outright retcon.

But Hell. What do I know? I'm the author.

That's one of the reasons I deleted the word file for ND. Because apparently I just don't know.

[...]

Here's the thing about ND: Season 4 sucked. I found a loophole to salvage it- not invalidate it- and it worked pretty well. But now all the reviews I get- ten months after I've written anything for it- are people telling me I invalidated every last bit of character development, despite not invalidating any character development. So, I mean, why would I want to continue the story? I'm not going to change anyone's minds at this point.

Considering how often this happens in my other Eva fics, it makes me understandably hesitant to do any more writing in the setting.

[...]

Half the point of the chapters following the 102 twist was that several people remembered and the consequences thereof. The problem is, most of this gets ignored over the actual twist itself, and eventually I just decided it just wasn't worth protesting anymore.

The way I understand, Gregg has no intention or motivation to continue anytime soon. So yeah, I'd guess it's over now.

Return to “Fanfiction”