What anime are you watching right now? May 2012

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:02 am

Ha, another one! You could do what I'm doing by rewatching one episode each week to bridge the gap. I should be finished around the time the last 2 episodes come out.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:22 am

Sat down and finally started watching Steins Gate last night, just got done. Took a bit for Okabe to grow on me, I'd heard he was off but I didn't expect by that much. By the latter half though I was fully on board with him. On the other hand Faris was utterly insufferable throughout. At times the show really pushed my suspension of disbelief to it's limits in the same way as Eden of the East's NEET shenanigans. Luckily whereas EotE broke my suspension in half, chopped it up with a butcher knife, and cooked it as part of a five course meal Steins Gate only stretched it a decent bit, and only at certain times (often involving Faris).

Actual  SPOILER: Show
I do feel like the latter half dragged on a bit though. Devoting whole episodes to each character and their D-mail, while a wonderful way to give that character more development, felt like it was too much. Add on the constant attempts to succeed, only to fail, and then to show us them doing it again and it felt like padding. As an example, as justified as the narrative makes Okabe's failure to save Kurisu in the second to last episode it still felt like a kick in the nuts that I just watched a whole episode only to have the mission ultimately fail, and then have to watch them do the exact same thing in slightly different way the next episode. Thank god they were smart enough to not show Okabe explaining what happened before he leaped to Kurisu every time but by the end of it even seeing them standing there with her like "Oh, well here's what we do next.." was frustrating.

And that really amounts to most of my complaints. The show was good but it really does feel like it kicks you in the nuts sometimes. Spending all that time on developing Suzuha's relationship with the cast only to completely undo it at the end of it is another great example. I can totally understand why they did it, and I suppose doing it is better than not doing it because that's how most of the characters got developed, in between time leaps, but it still just felt like the show was wasting my time. The worst part is it happens in the ending, too. I'm supposed to be jubilant that Kurisu is saved but my emotions are seriously dampened by the fact that this isn't the same Kurisu I grew to love. She lacks the development and experiences that I watched. She's not exactly back to square one as she has vague memories of the previous worlds but she's far from the Kurisu that peaks so beautifully when telling Okabe that she loves him.

After thinking about it I bet this is a product of the original story being a game. In a game the player inserts much stronger into the main character, Okabe, so even though everyone else forgets what happened in the old worlds the fact that Okabe doesn't is probably more fulfilling because the player is Okabe, Okabe is the central focus of the world. In a non interactive medium like anime, though, the center of the universe expands, in this case to the four main cast members. We are no longer Okabe, we're an outside observer. Our narrative perspectives are different so our perspectives on events are too.

I feel like it aimed really high and it came very close to grasping that goal but unfortunately a few things like that just make it fall a level or two lower. Even with those complaints it was still a good show, though, and I think it was better than I expected. I just wish it felt more fulfilling.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Redtophat » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:02 am

Rewatching Panzer it doesn't sound too bad at all, it was sooo entertaining. I am planning on playing the Steins;Gate VN after i'm done playing through the Chaos;Head VN (Which isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be although I am only in Ch. 3 I find Takumi to be a really sympathetic character and definitely my favorite thus far). I really can't wait for Steins;Gate's Film and it's sequel game. Unfortunately since it'll only be for 360 n' PS3 w/o localization over here I'll have to wait for the inevitable anime adaption.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:46 am

@CJD As you said, I think most of the issues you had with Steins;Gate are caused by the show's VN heritage. SG does a much better job of hiding it than Chaos;Head did, though. Have you watched the OVA yet, or did you stop at episode 24?
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Redtophat » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:50 am

I think the general length of the stuff that Okabe
SPOILER: Show
had to reverse really nailed in the desperation he was feeling since the obstacle he was up against was near unbeatable. It only made it oh so satisfying when he snaps with Moeka and makes his final sacrifice for Kurisu so dramatic and well done.

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:00 am

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:@CJD As you said, I think most of the issues you had with Steins;Gate are caused by the show's VN heritage. SG does a much better job of hiding it than Chaos;Head did, though. Have you watched the OVA yet, or did you stop at episode 24?

I watched it but I think it hurt it more than it helped to be honest.

The ending of episode 24 leaves it open how much Kurisu remembers from the alternate world lines. I figured since Faris remembered a helluva lot from the old world line when Okabe took her to the maid cafe place it was possible that Kurisu would remember it all too. In the end, though, she apparently doesn't, everything's just dreamlike to her. It just felt like the writers were trying to force the relationship back together without the natural growth that lead up to the original kiss. It'd have been better if she remembered more, and clearer.

Anyway, the more I think about it the more I think it'd be better as a game. Again, that's not to say the show is bad, just that I think something was lost in translation. Apparently there's a movie coming out now, though? Maybe that will help.

@June Indeed it accomplishes that but I still feel like it loses something as a result of it.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:11 am

View Original PostCJD wrote:Apparently there's a movie coming out now, though? Maybe that will help.

Yeah, there's a sequel movie coming out in Japan Spring 2013. I think there's a new VN being released as well. And Robotics;Notes is supposed to be a "sequel" to Steins;Gate, isn't it? I haven't started watching it yet.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Redtophat » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:19 am

Indeed a movie is coming, I think the plot will be
Kurisu and friends having to save Okabe from death, as the trailer gave me that feeling
The S;G VN is getting a sequel which I think is coming out this Spring, it is also being worked on by the creator of 999 and Virtue's Last Reward so it'll be promising. Robotic;Notes is at the halfway point now and it takes place 9 years after Steins;Gate and is pretty good, my pick along with Girls und Panzer for Fall.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:54 pm

Gundam 00 episode 11

hahaha

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:10 am

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:And Robotics;Notes is supposed to be a "sequel" to Steins;Gate, isn't it? I haven't started watching it yet.

They don't have anything in common plot-wise.

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:55 am

Just got done with episode 30 of Legend Of The Galactic Hero's.
It's everything people told me it was going to be.
Last edited by bobbyfischer's ghost on Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Redtophat » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:46 am

Well, just started SDF Macross. Looks like I have a long way ahead of me to Frontier, after i'm done with SDF's 39 episodes i'll watch the film DYRL, then Plus, then Zero, and then lastly Frontier and its two films. The journey has just begun.

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

Postby chazthesilencer » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:16 am

Rewatched the first Kimagure Orange Road movie (I want to return to that day):

One thing I really have to praise about this is its modest tear-count. A lesser film would have had the three leads bawwing left, right and centre, but IWTRTTD picks its crying moments very carefully.
It manages to do drama without the melo part, something I thought the Japanese were incapable of.
Happy to say that the film remains very good after this second viewing.

This’ll be the last time I post this, I swear-
CBBB ending   SPOILER: Show

I can’t get over this.
Rewatched Kokcon:

The first arc is still entertaining. I didn’t like the slow-pace of the second arc on the first viewing, but not having to wait a week between episodes this time around improved things considerably. Final 3 eps still feel badly rushed. I’ll be looking forward to the upcoming 4 extra episodes.

One of Crunchyroll’s better titles of 2012, along with Drooling Girlfriend X.

Akagi:

Up to ep10. Not knowing anything about Mahjong is a nagging itch, but certainly isn’t stopping me from enjoying Akagi’s duels.
Those noses and chins… the characters’ faces are gorgeous.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Redtophat » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:01 am

SDF Macross is great so far, characters are charming and so is the corniness, but lovable corniness. Has anyone watched the entirety of Muv-Lv Alt Total Eclipse? Is it any good?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:06 am

View Original PostJune wrote:Has anyone watched the entirety of Muv-Lv Alt Total Eclipse? Is it any good?

I finished it recently. It wasn't very good. I think I gave it a 5. Story was all over the place, the harem aspect seemed totally mishandled and misplaced, and all of the plot twists were contrived.

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Redtophat » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:35 am

View Original PostOrnette wrote:I finished it recently. It wasn't very good. I think I gave it a 5. Story was all over the place, the harem aspect seemed totally mishandled and misplaced, and all of the plot twists were contrived.
Thanks for telling me, you saved me time I could be using watching another show. I may read the Muv-Luv VN's since they have some acclaim after finishing through the Chaos;Head VN.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:03 pm

On this dull wet afternoon, I finished my rewatch of NGE, and also did another couple of episodes of House of Five Leaves.

View Original PostJune wrote:Muv-Lv Alt Total Eclipse?
Dr Nick gave his thoughts back one page.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Redtophat » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:19 pm

Yup, staying clear of that unless I love the VN, then I'll endure the probable pain of watching through it. Nekomonogatrai Kuro airs tonight ya'll!

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Justacrazyguy » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:14 pm

Yosuga No Sora:

Episode 1: Incest?

Episode 2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9: Oh, it´s adapted from a VN.

Episode 10/11/12: :woohoo: Incest! Glorious incest!

Well, I liked it...for obvious reasons...
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:16 pm

So I've been watching through Gundam SEED for the first time and I have to say...I'm enjoying it a lot actually. Way more than I thought I would. I'm about 31 episodes into it now and I'm not seeing the supposed terribleness (Though I do hear some people say it's only SEED Destiny that's completely bad). Sure there are flaws in it (Good lord there are a lot of flashbacks, though some of the individual ones seem appropriate), and it does take quite a bit from older series (Namely the original and Gundam Wing from what I can tell so far), but I'm enjoying SEED's spin on those elements so far.

Hopefully this last chunk of the series remains enjoyable enough to me, and doesn't fall apart like Madoka Magica did or something.

Return to “Old Stickies”