FanFiction Requests/Recommendations/Discussion etc.

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:50 pm

View Original PostClover wrote:New Xenu Edition...?

I shamelessly started incorporating 3.0 material in my post-EoE.
SPOILER: Show

We never did see what happened to Lilith's lance, so why not slap 'Cassius' on there and put it in.

EDIT: Now that is really old. And really weird.

There are parts where the Rebuild movies clearly diverge from the original, but there are also places where they seem to clarify or expand upon things from the original that may as well fit in there. For example, all of these scenes of Asuka brooding in her room or some of Shinji's newly added little afterthoughts in 1.0 would fit right in.
And I guess the same is true for certain things in Q.

After all, that material exists and it is a commentary on the original - nowadays, it's not that uncommon for FFs set in the original continuity to contain Rebuild allusions, the alternate Elevator scene is basically all over the place, and I doubt any of the new Kaworu-related material will take long to spread...

It helps that, in some ways, Q feels sorta like
something set in a post-EoE-situation.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

EvaBrothers
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby EvaBrothers » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:28 pm

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:I'm not confident you'd like it; it's an AU with an extremely out-of-character Kaworu as protagonist. As arkiel here suggested, I asked Fresh C to beta it for he and his reaction to the first chapter was, and I quote (...).

Actually, I'd still love to read it. :)

I don't mind OOC characters. Nor spoilers (but since there's a problem with the latter on the forum, you can always email me--- and wait for 3.0 to come out to publish it here).
~ Luana Spinetti ~ [email protected] (Email)
Note: I'm no longer the author of the fanfiction "Eva Brothers from Cybertron". I passed authorship to a friend (Lia Dospetti) who's turning it into her own work, while still maintaining homages to NGE and Transformers, as well as Star Trek. I still draw the artworks, though, and I have some fragments of the old fanfic here.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:51 pm

View Original PostEvaBrothers wrote:Actually, I'd still love to read it. :)

See the PM I sent for details.

I'd also like to bring it to your attention that the story is far from finished and is currently under an extensive rewrite to fix the horrible quality it suffers from due to having been my first work; only the first nine chapters are in any condition to recommend reading.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

Kaworu06
Adam

Kraven

Postby Kaworu06 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:45 pm

I have scoured the inter-webs, all in search of the perfect K/A. Only once have I seen it on FF.net. It was called Scent of the Seashore. It was a thing of wonder. But it was never finished...
I also go by:
Sylvi Jenni Annukka Lea Pentti.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:32 am

Yes, I read Children of an Elder God, and then when I saw the official art in Q, well...

While in COAEG the new airship serves as a mobile command center, in Q we have this huge-ass whale carcass with wings and a helipad.

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

Postby Clover » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:31 am

Poll: In a post-Third Impact story, if a previously dead/tanged character were to "return," what would you think if they died again? This time for good.
Kaji and Misato as examples.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:43 am

Eh, as long as it serves the narrative - Sure, why not.

In fact, I bet there are quite a few things you could do with that which could be quite poignant.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:54 am

Look at this little gem here.

Mostly Asuka-centric, but... surprising.
The author does's a very good job at her warped PoV while still making those inner vulnerabilities seep through the facade of her concious thoughts, and telling a whole different story at the same time.
I can't believe it's the guy's first fic.
It focuses mainly on the way Asuka treats Shinji in their daily life, her "attempts" to win his attention/affections that are too mixed in their messages for him to actually recognize as such, her inner conflict between her need to be "above" him and the equally real need to be with him, and how this eventually ends in, for those who absolutely need to know beforehand,

him ending up with Rei in the time it takes Asuka to try and actually express what she wants from him. But it's in no way an R/S fic with the usual childish-shipper-hypothenuse-bashing, it's genuinely an Asuka-focussed piece that has this happen as plot device to further her descent into complete denial of the actual reality around her, where she's not the center of the universe and would rather reject that knowledge rather than accept it...

BTW, did any of you check out Adam Kadmon's "Paracosm"?
Yet another masterwork of the guy. Because the only EVA-related fanfif cliche he hadn't deconstructed yet was the Post-TI-Multiverse/Illusional-world story that even pops up in actual semi-oficial spinoffs.
Because none of those many stories about Shinji's retreat into fantasy ever bother to focus on those who would actually be carrying those fantasies out for him....
So, this one does not quite do what you would expect...

Sadly, the works of his that get the most attention are those with the infamous shock-factor, but there's also things like te quiet little S/R-peice "Supernumerary" focussing on Rei, her various keepsakes, and why keeping keepsakes is something she does. It's a bit sad in your typical evangelion-comunication-fail-y way, reflecting the original work quite well, but no shock factor.

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Atropos » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:48 pm

Alright, we know DJ Croft sucks. Have there been any fics of NXE itself that try to change DJ into a semi-likeable Eva character?

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:14 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Look at this little gem here.

Mostly Asuka-centric, but... surprising.

You've intrigued me...

Bookmarked.

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby driftking18594 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:04 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:
shipper-hypothenuse-bashing

That's a term I haven't come across before.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:40 am

What he meant is the bad habit of shippers to demonize the alternative love interest - in Eva's case, turning Asuka into a psychotic yandere in Shinji/Rei fics.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:12 pm

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:What he meant is the bad habit of shippers to demonize the alternative love interest - in Eva's case, turning Asuka into a psychotic yandere in Shinji/Rei fics.

...or what ReTake did with Rei.

Similar examples about throuout most fandoms.

It's a stupid childish thing to do because you needlessly scrare away the other characters fanbase. They're still part of the core cast, still there for a reason and can still be used for a good story especially in the case of two first-tier main chacracters like Asuka or Rei who have a lot of other things to them than "Shinji's potential love interest".

At times, they don't even properly look at the character in question, just that they looked at someone in some person's OTP the wrong way is enough to merit hate.
It gets particularly glaring in examples where the setting/size of the cast removes any need to include the potential rival at all.

The situation IS more complicated in EVA where Rei and Asuka were deliberately designed as exact opposites, so chances are if you like one, you might dislike the other for reasons completely unrelated to any shipping whatsoever.

---

BTW any Q-related-Fanfiction yet?
I've seen a few K/S pieces, and one that somehow incorporated
grownup!Sakura
into the original 'verse, but the movie is full of all sorts of of things that are worthy of a little feels-discharge-oneshot.
I feel that in partcilurar,

the Shinji vs. Asuka battle should've yielded heartwrenching oneshots by now.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:57 pm

Maybe people are waiting to actually see the movie before writing about it to make sure they get things right instead of speculating.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:36 pm

You'd think that FEELS would need to be vented regardless of such logic?

Maybe I'm just jealous of the DW fandom where every episode gets 20 reaction fics.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:41 pm

Venting emotions by itself is not a bad thing.

Going back later and having your skin burn off of your face in embarrassment at having actually written that BS is something else entirely.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:44 pm

When you see some of the truly dreadful stuff that is already out there, one more drop of piss in an ocean of piss makes little difference. And if you've made a decent enough piece out of a misinterpretation of what was being intended, then there are already decent enough fics that do that for earlier iterations.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:58 pm

Well, yeah. Depends on one's standards, though: I for one read the first paragraph of every fic and if it has any spelling problems, I don't even bother reading further - so I'm blissfully ignorant of the worst of the worst. At the same time however, I probably miss out on lots of good stuff.

If you look back to the products of the past 3-4 years only, all the universally famous/infamous fics (Shinji and WH40k, Nobody Dies, ARSENAL) were intentionally out-of-character. The way I see it, keeping everyone 100% in-character is simply not satisfying anymore; reading all the same over and over again gets a bit boring after a few years. Of course, 3.0's spins might change that for the next two years or so, but not by any means permanently.

Not to mention that I simply can't bring myself to fuck up Anno's masterpiece, hence why all my Eva works are AU.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:04 pm

It's less that those were "not the same things again" and more that they were cartering to the lowly "man the fuck up"-denominator.

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

Postby Clover » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:17 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:It's less that those were "not the same things again" and more that they were cartering to the lowly "man the fuck up"-denominator.

Nah, they were just different.

Return to “Fanfiction”