What anime are you watching right now? May 2012

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:34 pm

View Original PostJustacrazyguy wrote:Finished FLCL/Furi-Kuri: Total madness.

I really need to watch that again sometime soon. I can barely remember the plot.... Wait, FLCL barely had a plot, so I guess that's understandable. :lol:
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Justacrazyguy » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:31 pm

Cowboy Bebop(movie): It was very good.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:52 am

I spent a particularly awesome Christmas Eve evening/night with a couple of fellow EGF members by watching Mobile Suit Gundam F91 and AMV Hell 4. It was a glorious double bill. I will never forget that deep rape analogy we discovered in the first title.

*** KIDS
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

Postby chazthesilencer » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:01 am

^How nice. I spent mine alone, watching the two latest TWGOK ohveeayes and the rough cut of AMV hell 6.

TWGOK continues to show that it can be entertaining at times, but very, very stupid most of the time.

I’m a huge fanboy of the AMV Hell projects, but even I know the current state of #6 is pretty bad; thankfully however- the often-annoyingly pessimistic AMV Hell community members understand this and are working on improving it…

View Original PostFellowMercuryLover wrote: Chuunibyou
This show sucks. Don’t watch it.
View Original PostTheBard wrote: Seriously what the hell KyoAni? 6/10
    I like it when EGF answers my questions.
    Thank you gentlemen, you've saved me the seizure.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:04 pm

View Original PostOz wrote:I spent a particularly awesome Christmas Eve evening/night with a couple of fellow EGF members by watching Mobile Suit Gundam F91 and AMV Hell 4. It was a glorious double bill.
Feature list turned out to be:
F91
AMV Hell 4 + 5
Char's Counterattack
a couple eps of SD Gundam

Thing is, F91s animation was gorgeous, but watching CCA after that made me realize how CCA isn't that badly structured or paced (and how awful F91 really is). I mean, anything will seem better than F91's narrative, I guess, but still... I'd remembered CCA's narrative being seriously Tomino and scatterbrained, but it wasn't.

That aside, Char's behavior is still something of a mystery to me when compared to his last appearance in Zeta. Ahh well.

It also makes me wonder why the hell F91 and Victory are even part of the UC timeline. It seems like a waste. Why didn't they just get their own timeline if they weren't going to bother integrating it into the whole Zeon/Feddie conflicts of the main UC stories?

SD Gundam was just drugs.

Oz wrote:I will never forget that deep rape analogy we discovered in the first title.
I think we decided that NGE is fundamentally about masturbation, while Gundam is fundamentally about rape. That leaves Macross to be about consensual orgies, I'd expect.

Chaz wrote:
I like it when EGF answers my questions.
Thank you gentlemen, you've saved me the seizure.
Honestly that first OP was one of the best parts of the show until they changed it. It wasn't as seizure-inducing after the first couple episodes.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:32 pm

I was disappointed by Cowboy Bebop - nothing wrong with it, but I just didn't find it as exceptional as people say.

FLCL on the other hand is the best anime of all, ever. It's also worth getting the manga (it's a single omnibus volume these days), which is substantially different, and drawn in a very unusual and dark style.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Final Messenger » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:37 pm

Haven’t been watching much anime lately besides watching JoJo’s weekly but other than that this month I have watched

Hellsing Ultimate 1-4: Pretty good overall I have been entertained each episode, the action is quite nice and I like the story and characters. Despite me not liking ultra violence I don’t mind it so much in here for some reason it doesn’t bother me here lol. Going to watch the remaining OVAs sometime this month as the final episode is going to be released soon.

Gundam F91: Pacing is worse than I remember but the animation is still gorgeous. In particular the mecha I loved the bit where the mobile suit took a step and oil just gushed out of its foot. Movie is also big with rape it’s not even subtitle at all (tentacle rape flower final boss).

Char’s Counter Attack: I still love this movie despite its flaws. Animation and the sound track are superb and a great climax to the Amuro Char rivalry. Not much else to say on that.

Macross Frontier Itsuwari no Utahime: rewatching this really got me wanting to rewatch the series I got to get on that sometime
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

Postby TehDonutKing » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:40 pm

Are you watching the dub of Hellsing? It's actually better than the Japanese!
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Final Messenger » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:46 pm

watched both actually since i got bought the bluray

but yeah the dub and those accents are pretty awesome
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:49 am

Things I learned from the Christmas stream

- TDSA is still clinically insane and should never be unbanned
- F91 is a metaphorical work for tentacle rape and vaginas
- AMV Hell made me feel really old
- CCA would be a masterpiece without these *** kids
- SD Gundam is some trippy shit
- We should repeat this another time and watch UNICOOORN

View Original PostOz wrote:I spent a particularly awesome Christmas Eve evening/night with a couple of fellow EGF members by watching Mobile Suit Gundam F91 and AMV Hell 4. It was a glorious double bill. I will never forget that deep rape analogy we discovered in the first title.

*** KIDS

Well if that wasn't a great first Gundam experience eh?

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:Are you watching the dub of Hellsing? It's actually better than the Japanese!

View Original PostFinal Messenger wrote:watched both actually since i got bought the bluray

but yeah the dub and those accents are pretty awesome

Hellsing is one of the few cases you can't go wrong either way. Even the German dub sounds great and our usually suck most of the times. I mean, Japanese has Sakakibara as Integra but fuck it, that's one hell of a speech. Would follow to Valhalla.

Also OVA 10 just came out.

-------------

The Cockpit

Saw a clip of it in one of the AMV Hells and needed to see it because I always wanted to watch a WWII dogfight related anime. These 3 OVA were all about sacrifices but sadly the impact is only minuscule when you have barely 20 minutes to develop the characters. Great technical detail with the planes though.

Mighty Space Miners

I've never seen an anime depict the physics of zero-gee so thoroughly. Terrific "practical" machinery and likeable cast included. Really too bad this never got a proper ending and just ended after 2 OVA for whatever reasons.

Mobile Police Patlabor: The New Files episode 12

DAT SEXUAL TENSION FJASLKEJFasjfa;:Fasjfk;sjfkaWEKJFaajerkqiwjfasvkjxv

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

Postby moonwolf2024 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:57 pm

I've had Aquarion for about two months so I'm gonna get into that tonight.

I'll try to get in another episode of Tsuritama too. :coffee:
Maybe if you shut up and stop over analyzing everything you just might get it........

sean_sean_sean_sean
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby sean_sean_sean_sean » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:11 am

Recently I watched Rintaro's 1979 Galaxy Express 999 film for the first time, and I have to say it feels good to have found a Rintaro work, besides his great Neo-Tokyo segment, which I can love unreservedly! I've only seen a handful of his works, though: Metropolis (very messy in a number of ways, but it has many elements I find pretty magnificent - that metropolis itself is such a vivid creation, I love the Tezuka character designs...), Take the X Train (intriguing but I don't know what to make of it at all!) and, uh, X.

Actually I have to say I am fond of X, though it goes without saying that it is in many respects truly terrible shit :wink:

Anyway, back to Galaxy Express 999! This was the first time I saw it, and I was floored. This is my first exposure to Leiji Matsumoto, so I wasn't really sure what to expect: I went in expecting a swashbuckling adventure, and I wasn't prepared for the glorious weight of melancholy and regret and disappointment and "being human means you have to die, whether you've lived out your dreams or not". I shed manly tears along with Tetsuro by the end, I must say ;____; The music was outstanding - the way it swells in one scene where a forlorn Tetsuro gets beaten up by some mecha-men, or that lovely melody as
SPOILER: Show
Claire sacrifices herself and the mecha planet implodes.

And Ryuzu's song, oh man oh man i know that feel sis ;_;

Although this was my first real Leiji Matsumoto experience, I've been aware of Captain Harlock and Emeraldas for a very long time - but for me they've always been these giant legendary figures hovering somewhere just at the edge of my anime awareness. Finally encountering them here I probably felt the same sort of awe Tetsuro felt :'O

It seems churlish to quibble about a few details after seeing such a great film, but - there is one thing that confused me:

SPOILER: Show
As I understand it, Tetsuro decides that to become a machine-person is a very bad thing which will probably result in either eternal loneliness or the person in question slowly becoming a cruel monster like Count Mecha and his cronies. So he decides to destroy the machine planet and end the mechanization of human beings. Okay, but...

... what confuses me a little is Tochiro's fate. He wants to become one with Harlock's ship and wander the sea of stars with him even after his "death". And he "speaks" to Emeraldas in this state, so he does still seem to be conscious, living as a machine after his death. How does Tochiro's decision differ from the decisions of Count Mecha, Ryuzu, Claire, and everyone else for whom becoming a machine-person is presented as a serious mistake?

I feel as though there must be some significant difference I have missed, for a few reasons. Firstly, Tochiro's decision to become one with Harlock's ship seems to be presented as a good and sound decision. Secondly, Tochiro seems to be a good and wise fellow who one would expect to follow what Matsumoto himself thinks to be right. Thirdly, it is when Tetsuro is standing beside Tochiro's "grave" that he says: "being human means you have to die, whether you've lived out your dreams or not". (Tochiro, just before his "death", had said with regret that he wishes he had been able to live out his dreams before it had to come to this... So this marks him as one of those humans who had accepted this human fate...)

So why does Tochiro become one with a machine? :O

Have I missed something? Is there an important distinction between what Tochiro becomes and what eg. Count Mecha became? Maybe my lack of familiarity with this franchise and the Matsumotoverse in general is making it unclear for me, or maybe I am just being dense! It seems weird that this would be a weird thoughtless slip-up on the part of Matsumoto/Rintaro... :O

I don't know! I wonder if anyone can help me out with this! :P

Anyway, a fantastic film!

(I am semi-new here! - I posted a little a couple of years ago, but... the posts I wrote back then were probably embarrassing follies of my youth so I'm worried about re-reading them :lol: Anyway, hi!)

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:19 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:Mobile Police Patlabor: The New Files episode 12

DAT SEXUAL TENSION FJASLKEJFasjfa;:Fasjfk;sjfkaWEKJFaajerkqiwjfasvkjxv
GAHHH

Are these the OVAs that take place in the series' timeline, or are they part of Oshii's OVA/film continuity? I guess ultimately it doesn't matter so long as we have more Goto and Shinobuuuuuuuuu

View Original Postsean_sean_sean_sean wrote:Take the X Train
Wow, I think that makes you the third person on this forum to have even heard of that film, much less seen it :lol:

It's certainly an interesting experience, but the story goes all over the place. But then, Rintaro's an interesting director. He has his bouts of impressiveness (e.g. when he handles Matsumoto's material with GE999 and the '78 Harlock series), but then he can turn out utter garbage (like X or Harmageddon). Usually, if his name is attached to a project, it gives me an excuse to check it out even if it ends up being crappy.

Although what I do like about him is that he's not afraid of that Itano-like violence and brutality in some of his OVA boom material. Doomed Megalopolis and the second Spirit Warrior OVAs come to mind, even if they were kind of shitty.

sean_sean_sean_sean wrote:Anyway, back to Galaxy Express 999! This was the first time I saw it, and I was floored. This is my first exposure to Leiji Matsumoto, so I wasn't really sure what to expect: I went in expecting a swashbuckling adventure, and I wasn't prepared for the glorious weight of melancholy and regret and disappointment and "being human means you have to die, whether you've lived out your dreams or not". I shed manly tears along with Tetsuro by the end, I must say ;____;
yeah, the GE999 film is basically Matsumoto's manly sentimentality at its best. Having seen some of his other works, only the 78' Harlock series successfully portrayed that kind of old school melodrama outside of GE999. Hard to say which one does it better given the difference in formats and narratives.

sean_sean_sean_sean wrote:So why does Tochiro become one with a machine? :O
The Arcadia has always been depicted as being a living machine, more than just a mechanical contraption. It probably has to do with that mixture of metaphors when referring to naval vessels, especially warships and the like. Tochiro's presence sort of takes this idea beyond metaphor and makes it a literal device.

Tochiro's relation with the Arcadia and his friends also sort of reveal that although he regretted not fulfilling his dreams in life, he was able to remain with them in death. He kept looking forward to something, but it wasn't a material gain like wealth or even power. He sought after the bonds he'd formed in life. That's the crucial difference between someone like Count Mecha or--as it's implied--most of the people who went to planet Maetel to get mechanized, as well as Tetsuro himself at the beginning. Tochiro's initiative and ambition is depicted as a far more transcendent than that.

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

Postby moonwolf2024 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:19 pm

Sooo......watched Genesis of Aquarion last night (OVA not the Series). Not really sure how i feel about it. :headscratch:

It was like watching a mish-mosh of Vandred, Macross II, and a whole bunch of other shit i cant think of right now. I'd like to see the series, but i might start convulsing if I see them singing in the fucking cockpit. :gunmouth:
Maybe if you shut up and stop over analyzing everything you just might get it........

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:35 pm

View Original Postmoonwolf2024 wrote:Sooo......watched Genesis of Aquarion last night (OVA not the Series). Not really sure how i feel about it. :headscratch:

I think the OVA is actually pretty decent title and clear improvement on the series in how the story was handled. For one they killed Sirius immeaditly, thus removing presence of one of the most grating characters in anime history. Kawamori has never achieved same level of retcon brilliance (excluding practically writing Kaifun out of DYRL). Secondly it actually focuses on the story instead of being bunch of standalone episodes of wildly varying quality before they finally remember "oh right we had a story to tell" near the end and zergrushing through everything....though final episode was pretty cool on its own.

Besides, I'm quite sure this is the only anime ever that has male pregnancy as key plot point. Gotta respect that! :hahaha:

As long as you don't make the mistake of treating the "everyone sings A-I-SHI-TE-RU" 25 minutes in the beginning as part of it. It's just bonus episode that fits in tv series continuity and is literally in different continuity from the story that follows

View Original Postmoonwolf2024 wrote:It was like watching a mish-mosh of Vandred, Macross II, and a whole bunch of other shit i cant think of right now.

nah, it's simply Kawamori on drugs and testing animation technology out for Macross Frontier so they don't have a production meltdown when producing that.

If you really want the full experience you go to watch tv show and after that EVOL for the maximum troll effect.

View Original Postmoonwolf2024 wrote:I'd like to see the series, but i might start convulsing if I see them singing in the fucking cockpit. :gunmouth:

That only happens in the bonus episode - and the focus on song was kinda given because only reason OVA ever saw the light of day was the massive popularity of opening song ensuring the series didn't slip into oblivion it arguably deserved. It's just huge fanservice episode for all the countless people who heard the song, thought it was rad and wondered how the anime was - all build around the one thing they knew and liked about the show (the OP theme).

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

Postby moonwolf2024 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:04 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Besides, I'm quite sure this is the only anime ever that has male pregnancy as key plot point. Gotta respect that! :hahaha:

LOL. Yes, i'll admit i did enjoy that part. I replayed it about three times to make sure my glasses were working.

Well you've eased my mind a bit. I can appreciate fanservice....just not for 26 episodes. Looks like i'll be busy this weekend.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

Postby A.T. Fish » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:09 pm

Merridian wrote:Are these the OVAs that take place in the series' timeline, or are they part of Oshii's OVA/film continuity? I guess ultimately it doesn't matter so long as we have more Goto and Shinobuuuuuuuuu

These are in the series timeline, the OVAs of the movie continuity are only 7 episodes long and are now called Patlabor: Early Days, IIRC.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:15 pm

(Project) K

What a boring ending to a boring show. K was the definition of being try-hard cool and pandering to every audience possible. Consequently what you often got was a mishmash of not knowing what it wanted to be, displayed in grating moodswings like spending an entire episode of chasing cooking hijinks while trying to tell us there is some serious murder conspiracy going on. Though the biggest problem I think is that the series spent most of the time building up rather than showing the action which is a bit contra-productive when you do style over substance. Prime example is us not even showing the end fight between the Red and the Blue King which was built up to be the main conflict of the entire 13 episodes. Somehow these two fighting are supposed to be friends but I don't feel any emotion or drama. They are just there, looking cool with their swords and cigarettes. But the worst part was that it was most of the times in this bizarre state of mediocrity where I don't like it but I kept watching because there might be something happening like the occasional great sakuga.

Anyway, I can't believe they already announced a second season of this and knowing the sucker I am I'll probably even watch it too.

Verdict:

If you think this anime is as cool as this gif suggests, you are sadly mistaken.

View Original PostMerridian wrote:GAHHH

Are these the OVAs that take place in the series' timeline, or are they part of Oshii's OVA/film continuity? I guess ultimately it doesn't matter so long as we have more Goto and Shinobuuuuuuuuu

Yes, it's from the OVA tv continuation. I really liked the screenplay and direction of the episode and how it highlighted in a very hilarious but also sad way Gotoh's unrequited love for Shinobu, while at the same time it showed that perhaps she might have feelings for him too. I'm not much of shipper or a romance person, but there is something about the interpersonal relationships in Patlabor that's not too in your face but still kind of lingering there that makes me go "yep, these guys are made for each other".

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Dr. Nick » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:58 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:Not sure if this is a good or bad thing. Is it as fun as the second season of Geass?

I'm only saying they're really similar. In terms of fun, it's one of those strictly subjective your mileage may vary things. I'm just largely frustrated whenever the Sunrise second season disease breaks out.

View Original PostMerridian wrote:Are these the OVAs that take place in the series' timeline, or are they part of Oshii's OVA/film continuity? I guess ultimately it doesn't matter so long as we have more Goto and Shinobuuuuuuuuu

Patlabor is a great series, but boy, the fledgling romances never develop into anything, and that is one of the most legendary tease episodes ever.

Finished Total Eclipse. I almost hate to say this, but the final two episodes were actually borderline-decent military scifi. Too bad the long stretch between the first two and last two episodes is largely a wasteland of creepy pandering (buy the Blu-Rays to see both tits and gore!), incompetent writing and directing and outrageous QUALITY.

Redtophat
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Redtophat » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:59 am

I'm watching Girls und Panzer now and it's GREAT. It's charming, funny, and has a cheerful atmosphere. I really didn't think i'd like this show so much, as I initially dismissed it as moe garbage when I first saw the promotional images of it, but decided to give it a shot after seeing the hilarious singing in ep. 9. It's gonna be torture to wait until March for the final two episodes but will be so worth it when they come out. I hope this show gets the recognition it deserves and a season two as considered by the director.

Return to “Old Stickies”