4th Film Info (READ OP) + Speculation

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Darkwing » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:22 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:
If anyone has proven himself to not give two shits about what the fans want or arrogantly feel they deserve it's Anno Hideaki. He owes us nothing but HIS Evangelion ending.

As much as I expect to be upset and bitch, I do agree with that. Well assuming he doesn't do something absolutly retarded to or with the characters just to make a point or end up where he wants them. Or if he just starts insulting people who disagree with him.

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:5. An incredibly bittersweet ending.

Is Anno even capable of a straight up happy ending?
View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:6. Random vagina imagery.

I swear at times Anno reminds me of the kids who kept drawing tits and dicks in the Far Side books in the school library. I like "damn it, yes people have them you twit, get over it!"
View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:8. Several 'Fans' will be upset it's not easily digestible or what they wanted (Asuka all the time) & say Anno has pulled a 'Phantom Menace'.

Only several? Also I expect more bitching about Shinji not being awesome enough.

Honestly going into Rebuild, all it would take for me to consider it an ending that makes me happy would be all the children alive, with a chance of happiness, and with the world not is such crappy states that I think they'll die of thirst or starvation. I don't see it making that. Rei 2 at least is not going to be around. Well if I start bracing myself for it now, hopefully it won't be too bad when it happens.

Well at least it shouldn't be possible for it to piss me off as much as Mass Effect 3's ending. Oh god I hope that's not possible. If New York suddenly vanishes off the map, you'll know it did.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:58 pm

As we are now deep into the old manga/anime stock post-apocalyptic setting, what else than another 14 year time-skip, and now Shinji has had chance to bulk up and get a constellation tattooed on his chest...
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:47 pm

Having Shinji grow up (as in age) would certainly piss a lot of people off; keeping him 14 in Q was as much fan-service in its way as keeping the girls at the same physical age.

Besides, if he grows up, it's much of the way towards turning into TTGL!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Grub
Lilith

Postby Grub » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:56 am

To be honest, I hope he makes his ending... somewhat satisfying this time around? Not that the other endings for Evangelion weren't really cool, but it feels like this is the last chance to give the audience or the characters any kind of remotely positive catharsis (tv show doesn't count because I don't know what the HELL THAT REALLY WAS.)

It'd be nice to have something approximating it, at least. That way fans can have whatever ending they like to fall back on.

Like the original low budget mindfreak? Chill with the show. Like the super hyper-dramatic, ultra-despair, double-triple-final mindfreak? Stick with EoE. Want the fully dramatically satisfying, mostly-tied-up-and-only-slightly-conventional-but-still-weird-as-hell ending? Watch Rebuild.
"The closer you resemble a samurai, the higher your chances for survival." -Carl Sagan (What the!?)

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Na7e » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:52 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Having Shinji grow up (as in age) would certainly piss a lot of people off;

Not like it would bother Anno when he decided to pull the rug out from under the GarShinji crowd, and make Rei's rescue meaningless.

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Darkwing » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:08 am

View Original PostGrub wrote:To be honest, I hope he makes his ending... somewhat satisfying this time around? Not that the other endings for Evangelion weren't really cool, but it feels like this is the last chance to give the audience or the characters any kind of remotely positive catharsis (tv show doesn't count because I don't know what the HELL THAT REALLY WAS.)

It'd be nice to have something approximating it, at least. That way fans can have whatever ending they like to fall back on.

Like the original low budget mindfreak? Chill with the show. Like the super hyper-dramatic, ultra-despair, double-triple-final mindfreak? Stick with EoE. Want the fully dramatically satisfying, mostly-tied-up-and-only-slightly-conventional-but-still-weird-as-hell ending? Watch Rebuild.

Yeah it'd be nice to get a ending I find satisfying. Though satisfying is very subjective. I imagine at the very least satisfying all the different ships has got to be impossible.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:45 am

I know it's way too early to speculate on a release date or even title for FINAL but I saw this on Animenewsnetwork -

[url]http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2012-12-23/miyamu-to-ring-in-new-year-with-3-film-evangelion-marathon[/url]

- and it leaves me kinda hopeful. 3.0's title was announced the night we entered 2012. If Khara & them could actually make FINAL a 2013 release what better way to start the ball rolling than to attach a title release onto a paid three film marathon?

But then again it might just be the season & I'm being hopeful.

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Na7e » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:54 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:But then again it might just be the season & I'm being hopeful.

Considering You Can (Not) Redo was announced on the first of the year. And, Q's first six minutes were preceeded by 1.0 and 2.0...it wouldn't exactly blow me away if something about 4.0 was announced.

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:04 am

In a weird way I kind of hope nothing comes of that. As much as I want 4.0 (and, well 3.0 since I haven't actually seen it yet), I kind of like the wait. Regardless, it would fit the theme.

Edit: And if they do announce a 2013 release for Final we might need to reexamine how we look at the preview for 4.0 at the end of 3.0. I know I've personally been disregarding it given the series history with the teasers, but if 4.0 does come out in 2013 that means they're farther along than I'd thought.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Na7e » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:43 am

View Original PostCJD wrote: And if they do announce a 2013 release for Final we might need to reexamine how we look at the preview for 4.0 at the end of 3.0. I know I've personally been disregarding it given the series history with the teasers, but if 4.0 does come out in 2013 that means they're farther along than I'd thought.

Considering 1.0 and 2.0 were worked on at the same time it would surprise me if some bits of 4.0 are already done, or at the very least planned out.

Jay
Embryo

Postby Jay » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:53 am

View Original PostCJD wrote:In a weird way I kind of hope nothing comes of that. As much as I want 4.0, I kind of like the wait.

It is beyond my comprehension why so many folks do not want Evangelion Final to be released in 2013, a project that was suppose to see completion and closure way back in summer of 2008. ANN's news of any mention of 2013 being removed from the Evangelion Final website (which is utterly barren of any information) was very well received, as was the news reported and noticed by others. People were rejoicing and saying such absurd things as, let them take their time even if it releases in 2015 or 2016 (Star Wars Episode VII anyone?). The Rebuild saga easily ranks as one of the most delayed projects in developmental history, facing heavy delays all around. It was nearly a year from the time Evangelion 2.0 was released in theatres to the time it was released in Japan on DVD/Bluray, which is absolutely absurd. There is no reason it should take any film a year after theatrical release to make it to DVD/Bluray. It's genuinely upsetting to me that so many folks want 4.0 delayed and delayed into oblivion. I'm not getting any younger and neither are you. Let's be frank (and yeah, I know your name might not be frank, mine isn't), you may not be alive in 2014, 2015 or 2016. Tommorow is promise to no one. That said, I hope Studio Khara, with a new publisher (T-Joy, which is interesting because Khara is literally Studio Joy, so it's Studio Joy and T-Joy) will be able to get their act together and stay on schedule for what they actually declare and anounce. 'Nuff said.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:15 am

The feeling is one of preferring Khara to do it right rather than do it rushed, given the 3 year gap between Ha and Q.

And as for the wait before the home video release -- well, they do things differently in Japan. Films stay in theatre longer after release too.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:06 am

View Original PostNa7e wrote:Considering 1.0 and 2.0 were worked on at the same time it would surprise me if some bits of 4.0 are already done, or at the very least planned out.

I'm confused, did you mean "wouldn't surprise?"

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:The feeling is one of preferring Khara to do it right rather than do it rushed, given the 3 year gap between Ha and Q.

Well, that too, but for me it's more that I like having it on the horizon. Something to look forward to, ya know? You also gotta remember I first saw Eva when 2.0 was already out, so I've never known Eva without a new major entry in the series in the foreseeable future. It's probably a big reason why I enjoy Rebuild so much, and why admittedly I have trouble separating the two sometimes. To me Rebuild was just a logical extension of Eva: Watch 1-26 (and later found out about the directors cuts) - Watch DnR - Watch EoE - Watch Rebuild - Wait for 3.0. So in that respect Eva never actually "ended" for me like it did for you original members. For me 4.0 represents the end, and I'm notoriously bad with endings. Life'd be so much easier if every series was like James Bond.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Jay
Embryo

Postby Jay » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:36 am

Let's be clear, a hypothetical late 2013 release is not a rushed release. There is nothing rushed about that. Late 2013 is a very, very long time from now. A lot can happen in one day, let alone one year. I'm not at all familiar with this practice of Japanese theatrical releases being a lot longer than the way it's done in America, nor am I familiar with any practice of waiting a year or more for a film to go to DVD. The American film industry usually releases a film for home media release (which today means DVD/Bluray) in a few months, sometimes even sooner. Of course, there are exceptions to that, I know of a few that were delayed so much that it approached a 6 month timeframe from the time it stopped showing in theaters to when it was released, but they are just that, exceptions. There are other things to consider, the long period between 2.0 and Q may have something to do with Q and Final being worked on to some extant or another at the same time. We should remember that Q and Final were always intended to be released side by side and simultaneously. So it makes sense for Studio Joy to work on both together. That and Q was about 30 minutes shorter than expected, but still longer than the original estimated 45 minutes for it and Final.

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Darkwing » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:59 am

It depends on whats left to be done. High quality animation takes time. If they are finding certain scenes are taking longer than expected to do right, then they have to take the time to get them to look good. And that's assuming there aren't any rewrites, or the like.

On another not, Merrei Kaworumas everyone, and an Asuka New Year.

Jay
Embryo

Postby Jay » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:44 am

View Original PostDarkwing wrote:On another note, Merrei Kaworumas everyone, and an Asuka New Year.

I hope you don't mind me stealing this. I'm a big fan of Kaworu (Jesus) as he's undoubtedly my favorite character. That explains my bias in saying that Q is the best of Rebuild so far. Here's to hoping Kaworu-Jesus returns and takes out holy and righteous divine vengeance upon Gendo/Nerv (I'd say Seele too, but they are out already) and the entire dark milieu from which they spawned. If not, then I at least hope Kaji will return and take Nerv HQ by surprise with a shotgun or maybe an entire squad of human rebels. Come back, Kaworu, please.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:05 pm

I'm fine with a release date within the next two or three years, as long as the story and animation are well done. If they use the time wisely and come up with something good/amazing then the wait will be worth it (for me, at least).

Oh, and Mari Kaworumas, everybody! Congratulations!
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Na7e » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:07 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:I'm confused, did you mean "wouldn't surprise"?

Yeah!

TheDrmcvey
Lilith

[Spoilers] 3.0 preview at end of 2.0

Postby TheDrmcvey » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:30 am

This might eventually get moved to a thread that has already talked about this, but I thought it would be good to bring it up again. Obviously Anno and his staff didn't want us to know a thing about the past events between 2.0 and 3.0 in this latest movie. Things such as, Mari's involvement with Will-E, Misato's grudge against Nerv, Asuka's eyepatch, the curse of the Eva, Kaji's disappearance and so on. The trailer at the end of 2.0 gives us hints as to what happened in those years, so my question to you guys is do you think 4.0 will focus on the back story of these events in the first half of the film, while continuing the present story in the later half, or will 4.0 dismiss it and move on with the present plot?

Thoughts?
Eva Rebirth

KnifeEyeAttack
Embryo

Postby KnifeEyeAttack » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:49 am

[url]http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/13402/SPOILERS-4th-Film-Info-READ-OP-Speculation/[/url]

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”