The Spears

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:27 pm

Gendo was talking about a Diecide, so I'm guessing that Kawrou was who they were aiming for with that.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:23 pm

Fir what it's worth, Mari says something about Shinji being a "backup measure"...
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:25 pm

Yep, and that's one big obvious reason for the dual entry system: One pilot dies, there's still another good to go as a back-up. Which is why 4I doesn't truly stop until Mari pulls Shinji's entry plug out of Eva-13.

They'd have an Eva-disabling weapon and not let Asuka or Mari put it to use against 13 or 09? Sounds fishy to me...

Pretty sure it's lodged in the Wunder's core/Unit-01 after Asuka finishes doing whatever the hell she was doing with it...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:21 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Pretty sure it's lodged in the Wunder's core/Unit-01 after Asuka finishes doing whatever the hell she was doing with it...

Judging from the camrip (hah!), whatever Asuka is using to activate Wunder's reactor has a forked tip, quite unlike the Spear of Cassius.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:57 pm

I don't have the camrip (And I don't plan on watching anything of the sort until the 3.33 release drops), but do we see the "forked tip" in plain view? Cause if it's seen, I don't know, like half stabbed in; the Spear of Cassius would sort of appear that way, I guess.

SPOILER: Show
Using the spoilered image above, you can kind of picture that by covering the top part of the point, and the lighter-type thing being above the green gem bit in the hollowed out section - That's what jumped out at me when I was watching it at least.

Would not be surprised at all though if I'm incorrect, haha.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:27 am

There aren't any screencaps worth posting, but looking at the camrip in motion, the spear-like object definitely ends in a fork, and its head isn't as long as the Spear of Cassius. I do see the jewel-like glow you're talking about, though. We'll just have to wait on this one. Might end up being a replica, like what Eva-05 had, or something completely unrelated.

I have doubts that the Spear of Cassius was even in the tesseract with Eva-01, since she shouldn't have been able to briefly "awaken" and shred the Code 4B if she were actually skewered.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:53 am

I wonder how they removed the Spear without waking up Unit-01. Maybe she went into a dormant state for a while after being skewered?
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:06 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:I wonder how they removed the Spear without waking up Unit-01. Maybe she went into a dormant state for a while after being skewered?

I figure, and this is all pretty baseless speculation, an "awakening" is similar to a rage. I bet it expends a lot of energy to start and maintain, and that it's very exhausting on the Eva, either literally or figuratively. I don't think it's something they can keep up indefinitely, or something they can spark whenever they want. Or, if they can spark it whenever they want, it's so tiring that they don't want to.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:09 am

CJD: Eva-01 probably got the Fruit of Life from the 10th Angel, otherwise she probably wouldn't make a very useful reactor for the Wunder.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:18 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:CJD: Eva-01 probably got the Fruit of Life from the 10th Angel, otherwise she probably wouldn't make a very useful reactor for the Wunder.

Then we end up falling back on the question of what game is Yui playing that she sat dormant for 14 years. Truly she's a bigger mastermind then Gendo.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:21 am

I don't think the trap was meant for Kaworu, as Nerv probably didn't intend for him to put on the DSS Choker. If anything they probably expected the rest of humanity to bite it while Kaworu (and Shinji?) survived. But yes, the Spears served as bait for Shinji to initiate Fourth Impact. Did Seele intend to sacrifice the Mark 06 and Spear it in Terminal Dogma did it just occur during the 12th Angel battle and they decided to work into their scenario?
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:09 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:I don't think the trap was meant for Kaworu

Kaworu was going to get tricked and killed one way or another.

01:15:53 {Kaworu} I never imagined that I, the First Angel,
01:15:56 {Kaworu} would be cast down to the Thirteenth.
01:16:04 {Kaworu} So the beginning and the end are the same.
01:16:08 {Kaworu} I'd expect as much from the King of the Lilin,
01:16:11 {Kaworu} Shinji-kun's father!

01:16:13 {Mari} DSS Choker, pattern blue?
01:16:15 {Mari} A Thirteenth? Even though the Twelfth should've been the last?
01:16:19 {Mari} So this is what Gendo-kun is aiming for.

01:17:12 {Gendo} The long desired Human Instrumentality Project,
01:17:15 {Gendo} and the contracted deicide, will be completed by me.

01:27:33 {Fuyutsuki} What a nightmare.
01:27:35 {Fuyutsuki} Nearly all went as Seele intended.
01:27:38 {Gendo} But not only was Seele's boy eliminated, the path was forged for Eva-13's Awakening.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Shakabutt
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Shakabutt » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:48 pm

"Eva 13's awakening" oh boy im sensing a huge showdown between 13 an 01 in FINAL.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:23 pm

^If so, who'd be piloting 13?
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:41 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:^If so, who'd be piloting 13?

Gendo

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:07 pm

If that happens I hope one of the Eva's gets recolored, otherwise it's going to be very confusing fight. On the other hand the spears would end up giving whoever gets them a signifigant advantage.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:38 pm

View Original PostDarkwing wrote:If that happens I hope one of the Eva's gets recolored, otherwise it's going to be very confusing fight. On the other hand the spears would end up giving whoever gets them a signifigant advantage.

Gendo 13 wields Longinus and 01 wields Cassius, it works.

But yea, that's right below "They all become cute girls and have tea parties." on "Things I find plausible in any way, shape, or form for 4.0."

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:48 pm

Well I wouldn't think the Gendo part to likely, but I figure something will happen involving both Unit-01 and Unit-13.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:45 pm

Thread could use some focus right about now.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Angel of Will
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Angel of Will » Fri May 03, 2013 1:56 pm

Comment I made on another, unrelated thread:

So any idea what the role of the spears are? We've gotten an idea of their capabilities, but so far it isn't clear whether or not they were meant as fail-safes against the Adams like in NGE, or if they were more of an instrument for them. Kaworu was intent on using them as tools for personal use; but I wonder if that's just due to education he picked up from being a lackey for SEELE, or demigod-privileged knowledge.

Also, in response to some talk here, since having both Spears seemed to be a part of Unit-13 + Kaworu's deification, it's possible that having a Cassius Spear instead of another Longinus Spear would give the deified individual an ability the former type didn't have, such as turning back time or reshaping the world in one's desired image. I recall that Shinji, as he approached the two spears, said that once he's done changing the world, Misato would be like before, or something like that. This wouldn't make as much sense tp say if all he thought he was getting into was terraforming.

Thematically, I think such an outcome would have to be an antagonistic option for Shinji to overcome, as the present world and its people are the real deal, with their own current lives worth protecting, instead of erasing because of some kid's notion of 'the good old days when people weren't afraid of me'.

Oh; one last note to make is that I'm speculating that the 'Deicide' Gendo spoke of was a reference to the yet-to-be-mentioned FAR.
"Reality exists in a place unknown, and dreams exist within reality. And Truth lies in your heart."

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”