FML General Thread [3]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Tribblepoo
Israfel
Israfel

Postby Tribblepoo » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:09 am

I am not looking forward to yet another death in my family. This year I lost an uncle to brain cancer and my surrogate grandfather to old age. Now one of my aunts is dying of lung cancer and she probably won't see 2013. That, and there's rumblings of my actual grandfather's health deteriorating rapidly due to long-term complications from the stroke he had a few years ago.

Also, I am not looking forward to a Christmas costume party that I am required to go to tomorrow night. This one I can make the most of though...by dressing as Ebeneezer Scrooge and carrying a Tiny Tim sock puppet.
"Having sex with extreme gas must be how the Scots came up with the idea for bagpipes."

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:55 am

I'm sorry to hear that, Tribblepoo. Hopefully what you heard about your grandfather will at least turn out to be unfounded.

Also, why do you have to go to the party? Is it a company thing?
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Dream » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:04 am

Sorry to hear about all that, Tribblepoo. Here's hoping things turn out as best as they can in the end.

On topic: This is a rather minor one, but i've been amused lately at how many similarities i feel between me and TDSA. Not very sure why, i guess because of how much both of us got affected by being banned from a forum that meant a lot to us (even when both of us kinda "earned" it), a general inmaturity or self-centeredness couple with a tendency to play the victim, and the feeling -real or imagined i'm honestly not sure- that pretty much everyone looks down on us or thinks of us as pathethic.

I don't know, maybe i'm just imagining things, but somehow that has always been pretty amusing to me, specially considering i don't exactly like TDSA. Well, i have sympathy and i don't hate him, but man was he insufferable/unlikeable sometimes.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Tribblepoo
Israfel
Israfel

Postby Tribblepoo » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:51 am

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:I'm sorry to hear that, Tribblepoo. Hopefully what you heard about your grandfather will at least turn out to be unfounded.

Also, why do you have to go to the party? Is it a company thing?

No, it's more social obligations to people I don't really like, but could also be seen as unofficially employment related. Kind of a networking thing.

As for my grandfather, man is a bastard. That's the reason my surrogate grandfather was in the picture in the first place. I am just tired of people in my family dying. But, I guess the bright side is that when my aunt dies, all of the people I actually like will be gone so I can kind of stop giving a shit.
"Having sex with extreme gas must be how the Scots came up with the idea for bagpipes."

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:06 pm

Writing college statements...

Hai my name is IO I speak german, english and chinese fluently, spent my summers in several educational programmes in china, I liek komputer gaems and Engineering is so interesting like super interesting so please let me into your Bachelor in Engineering programme and okai?

And it looks kinda like this

nothing comes to mind if you don't even want to go to a certain university and I think it shows with the current state of my essay.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:38 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:nothing comes to mind if you don't even want to go to a certain university and I think it shows with the current state of my essay.

My thoughts exactly. I've got about five long essays left to write and a bunch more to edit and send in by January 1st. Luckily I managed to find five schools that I can actually see myself attending, so it shouldn't be too painful to come up with something.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:31 pm

Thanks to grumpy customers, shitty weather, and crammed parking lots, I officially hate Christmas. You really dropped the ball on this one, Humanity.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

An uneven day... B/

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:33 pm

I'm sick, throwing up, it sucks. :vomit:

And the day started of so well, I passed Go and collected $200 from work.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

TomasJC
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby TomasJC » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:58 pm

Got wicked sunburn the other day, almost any movement of some sort is agony. To top it off, the burning reminds me that New Zealand will never have a 'White Christmas'. But then again, the people who get snowed under every year must be sick of it.
"That's no way to treat an expensive musical instrument!" -Jim Steinman
"When I was growing up, there were two things that were unpopular in my house. One was me, and the other was my guitar." -Bruce Springsteen
"Alcohol is humanity's friend... Can I abandon a friend?" -Yang Wen-li
"...See you on the Dark Side Of The Moon~"

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:10 am

View Original PostTomasJC wrote:Got wicked sunburn the other day, almost any movement of some sort is agony.

Supposedly spraying the affected skin with vinegar has a remedial effect. (...supposedly.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

Postby A.T. Fish » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:26 am

^ That's for jellyfish stings, for sunburns there are special creams.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:53 am

Sis asked what I should have for Christmas.

Told her, "I don't know".

She pressed on, and I said I'll want to replace this CRT with a new LED monitor so that I don't have to get my retinas burned bad anymore; sick of squinting these days that I get bloodshot.

And fuck those idiots who think CRTs are superior: rather than debating about color and shit like that, there's the weight and energy cost differences to consider.

That's it, I need to save my eyeballs for next year.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:18 am

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:And fuck those idiots who think CRTs are superior: rather than debating about color and shit like that, there's the weight and energy cost differences to consider.

The only place I've heard that CRTs are superior is among Super Smash Bros: Melee players. Apparently CRTs have less lag than LCD or plasma sets, which makes a big difference when you have to react to things with split-second reflexes. I assume it's the same for other fighting games.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:37 am

Right, they'll say CRTs are good (and some of nostalgiadinkums say so in terms of technical facts), but I play Skyrim (and sometimes the occasional MW3 or Burnout).

The CRT I use is showing its age: contrast/brightness control is completely shot (too damn bright but if I bring it down I can't see shit), and it's not good when spending much time in front of the machine for hours.

BTW, I'm getting my glasses back.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:30 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:The only place I've heard that CRTs are superior is among Super Smash Bros: Melee players. Apparently CRTs have less lag than LCD or plasma sets, which makes a big difference when you have to react to things with split-second reflexes. I assume it's the same for other fighting games.

I have noticed a latency difference between a CRT TV and an HDTV but not between a CRT monitor and a flat-panel monitor. Non-CRT viewing devices can have noticeable lag depending on what they're made for, but it's not inherent.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:14 pm

My mom sent me a reloadable debit card.

It's a minor FML because for some reason, the website won't let me activate it. I mean, it says that if you're under 18, you have to have someone 18+ activate it. No big deal, get my dad to do it.

Doesn't work. Can't activate by phone till tomorrow.

But either way, I already have a reloadable card that's already activated, so why didn't she just send me cash so I can put on the card I already had?

Ugh.
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:58 pm

These past two days have been a nightmare.

It started with helping my Dad put together his new computer. (That's a whole different nightmare.) He and I are in the process of building it from parts he ordered. One of those parts is a graphics card that's better than mine. Because he doesn't need all that extra horsepower he was willing to exchange it for mine (which is still lightyears ahead of his old one from the computer of his we're replacing with this newly-ordered one) as a Christmas gift to me.

I installed the new graphics card into my computer. Booted it up... Solid red DRAM LED on the motherboard, no POST, no nothing. Oh well. So I took it out.

Put in my old graphics card. Booted it up. Solid red DRAM LED.

...Wuh?

I can't even remember everything that happened after that, but to make a long story short, after a whole lot of poking and prodding and reseating and God knows what else, finally I got the computer to boot with no red light.

But now it won't detect my hard drive.

Okay, no biggie. Okay, yes biggie -- my big fear is that I accidentally fried it with an ESD, as rare as that is. But anyway, I figured, maybe there's something I can do in the BIOS. So I went into the BIOS.

Turns out the ASUS EZ BIOS screen is for some reason too big for my (big, fancy) monitor. It stretches off the right and bottom -- all I see is the top-left corner. Enough to get by in a pinch, but far from regular operation capacity, let alone ideal. So I figured, let's update the BIOS! So I updated the BIOS.

And now it's even worse. Now the portion of the ASUS EZ-whatever screen which shows up on my monitor is even smaller, small enough that no clickable items are even on-screen, and, worse, the screen is black except for where I've moved my cursor and every time it updates (such as when I press Escape to bring up the exit menu) I have to move my cursor around more to reveal the new screen underneath like a scratch-to-reveal lottery ticket (but worse, because I can't just wave it quickly back and forth, it has a maximum capture rate so I have to move the cursor slowly to clear a clean path).

So then I tried to go back, by doing the same BIOS update procedure but this time with the earlier version BIOS file on my USB drive.

It won't let me go back. "The BIOS you selected is older than the current version."

FML

Update: Well, that was quite an adventure. So after the above, I thought to hook up an old VGA monitor, and that fixed the BIOS screen problem (if it can be called a "fix"). But this time when booting up -- and it must have been sheer chance, because why would a difference in monitor matter? -- it showed the POST screen (which I had not seen since these problems began, except maybe once or twice) and let me know that "SMART status is bad" for my hard drive, "Backup and replace."

Looks like I really did have a hard drive failure. And juuust in time for Christmas, too.

... is what I'd say if I were the former, more depressive me, but eh, the new me sees it as just the inconvenience that it is. I've still got my laptop and trusty consoles, the former of which I do most of my computing on anyway and the latter of which I do most of my gaming on anyway and have been neglecting. Plus I'm rigorous enough about backing up that the worst I'll lose from that hard drive if the data is unrecoverable are some save-games for games I'd just as soon replay anyway.

But I'm not one to deny reality when a bad thing does happen, so... still FML.

EDIT: Or not!
Last edited by Monk Ed on Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:48 am

That's some tough luck, Monk Ed. :(
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:02 pm

Well, glad to read that you more or less fixed your PC issues, Monk.
Yesterday I had my small FML when I saw this:
What am I supposed to think of this?
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:00 am

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Yesterday I had my small FML when I saw this:
What am I supposed to think of this?

Girls only? To enjoy KxS goodness I presume? Discrimination!!
System Administrator

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”