What anime are you watching right now? May 2012

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:06 am

One off OVAs a.k.a. Honda motorcycle product placement. Actually not bad, nice character designs and art in general, too bad there was only 4 episodes. Could easily have gone 2 or 3x longer.

Kyousougiga ONA, another one-shot, don't really understand what's going on. It's supposed to be in Kyoto but it looks like some cheesy A.R. overlay on the place. Kind of a trainwreck of contrasting styles. No idea what it's based on.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:04 pm

Berserk Golden Age Arc II: The Capture of Doldrey

The same abominable piece of turd like the first one, maybe even worse. At first I thought something was not right with my codecs but the animation has actually frame-downs like you get when you are trying to play a modern shooter on an inferior video card. Like, did Studio 4°C ever look at the footage once and think for second: "well, that kind of looks like shit, don't you think?" And the direction is a complete mess, jumping from one event to the other, skipping scenes and changing things as they go along. For example, there was absolutely no reason for leaving out Zodd throwing Guts the sword and instead going into full detail how Griffith banged the princess.

I wish I could say something positive but these movies have bad animation, are a hollow shell of a story and make the characters look bland and uninteresting which is a pretty amazing feat in itself. Still, I'm going to watch the 3rd too just out of morbid curiosity to see how bad they can fuck up something as simple as the gorefest that is the Eclipse.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

Postby A.T. Fish » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:24 pm

^ I was planning on watching it some other day, but your review kinda motivated me to go into it now, I have to see it to believe it. Usually I'm very forgiving when it comes to remakes of things I like so I'll probably enjoy it anyway. Your remark about the sex scene is reasonable, unnecessary fan service is never good, and about the "sword that fell from the sky" scene, it appears they were trying to make a mystery out of it.

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Justacrazyguy » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:49 pm

Finished Nana: The drama is strong in this one...
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

Postby C.A.P. » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:41 pm

Very slowly making my way through Nadia right now, since that's pretty much the only Anno-directed product I haven't seen in its' entirely yet. Currently halfway through ep 14, and the direction so far is interesting; there's moments here and there where you can see glimmer's of Anno's directional style here and there (it's definitely there in ep 3, but it isn't until ep 10 or so when it starts to pop up more frequently. The story starts to go into a more character-driven angle too around there), but he's holding himself back to allow the action, set pieces, and the mythology of the whole series to take center stage, elements someone like Anno doesn't really focus as intensely as other elements his audience usually remembers him for, as seen with the reaction to basically everything he worked on after Evangelion. Or maybe it does, but in tone, it's nothing like what he would become infamous for later on.

Makes me wonder on how much freedom he actually had making it, because I don't really feel it--his passion--regularly like I do in something like, say, Gunbuster or his animation in Daicon IV. It's there in some parts, like one section in ep 13 where the first act is focused on the mini-adventure Marie and King go under, but generally, it's unique in Ganiax's filmography; judging by the few anecdotes I've read, it seems as if the studio didn't really get much time (and organization) to get what everyone really wanted to get out of the series, but who knows.

And before anyone asks, yes, I'm aware on the reputation the "Island episodes" have. Yes, I'll still watch them anyways.
Last edited by C.A.P. on Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:10 pm, edited 7 times in total.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

Postby TehDonutKing » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:54 pm

After much goading from a friend, i agreed to watch Deadman Wonderland. However, i said i'd wait until i found it with no censor bleeps. So, he gave me the DVD for my birthday. So, i watched the series. It's by no means a masterpiece, but it's an excellent series with a great dub as well. After watching the first episode, i feared i was in for another bout of pointless tits and gore, like Elfen Lied or Ubell Blatt. Fortunately, the second episode proved me wrong. The series has tits and it has gore, but for a reason, unlike certain other series. The character dynamics are great, but not Evangelion or FiM calibre. Still, i recommend the series for fucked up people like myself. Also, the Death Note parody is hilarious.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:07 pm

View Original PostC.A.P. wrote:Makes me wonder on how much freedom he actually had making it, because I don't really fell it--his passion--regularly like I do in something like, say, Gunbuster or his animation in Daicon IV.

Wasn't Nadia the one that caused him to get all depressed because of his lack of control over it? Not sure how true that story is but I think it was Nadia.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

Postby C.A.P. » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:15 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:Wasn't Nadia the one that caused him to get all depressed because of his lack of control over it? Not sure how true that story is but I think it was Nadia.

Apparently so, from what I've read. Besides, if you read on what was up with his other shows, we have him leaving the director chair in Kare Kano because of creative differences, Gunbuster ending up as controlled chaos, with his support since the beginning, and Anno sticking with his decisions in Evangelion, no matter how controversial it was. A lot more passionate than anything I read about him working on Nadia.

It also drove Ganiax into "some 80 million yen in the red, and was denied any of the rights associated with the project" if The Notenki Memoirs is anything to go by. By all accounts, it seems production of the show was outright miserable to work on, all because Ganiax pretty much screwed themselves into non-related studio politics, intense creative differences, sudden directorial switches, short-sighted deals, limiting budgets, and schedule slips they weren't ready to make as a company at the time. Unless someone corrects me, I believe Nadia was the first TV anime they made, and with the stories I've read and the series at times, it kinda shows. It's never a a good sign where the only good thing worth mentioning to come out of something creative was when it was easy "to find sponsors."
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:08 am

View Original PostFireball wrote:Berserk Golden Age Arc II: The Capture of Doldrey

The same abominable piece of turd like the first one, maybe even worse. At first I thought something was not right with my codecs but the animation has actually frame-downs like you get when you are trying to play a modern shooter on an inferior video card. Like, did Studio 4°C ever look at the footage once and think for second: "well, that kind of looks like shit, don't you think?" And the direction is a complete mess, jumping from one event to the other, skipping scenes and changing things as they go along. For example, there was absolutely no reason for leaving out Zodd throwing Guts the sword and instead going into full detail how Griffith banged the princess.

I wish I could say something positive but these movies have bad animation, are a hollow shell of a story and make the characters look bland and uninteresting which is a pretty amazing feat in itself. Still, I'm going to watch the 3rd too just out of morbid curiosity to see how bad they can fuck up something as simple as the gorefest that is the Eclipse.

I enjoyed the 2nd movie a lot more than the first. Hokey switches from CG characters and back again, aside, it was pretty enjoyable. I'll admit it's been over 10+ years since I've seen the original TV series and haven't even kept up with the manga past vol 10 or so, so outside of that I thought the movie was great fun.

I can't find much reason why people shouldn't watch it if there isn't any reservations for what the movies didn't already set outright (not family friendly, etc).

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:56 am

View Original PostOrnette wrote:I enjoyed the 2nd movie a lot more than the first. Hokey switches from CG characters and back again, aside, it was pretty enjoyable. I'll admit it's been over 10+ years since I've seen the original TV series and haven't even kept up with the manga past vol 10 or so, so outside of that I thought the movie was great fun.

I can't find much reason why people shouldn't watch it if there isn't any reservations for what the movies didn't already set outright (not family friendly, etc).

You are already familiar with the material but not enough to remember the details. You probaly aren't that big of a fan either, so I can see why it works for you.

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:^ I was planning on watching it some other day, but your review kinda motivated me to go into it now, I have to see it to believe it. Usually I'm very forgiving when it comes to remakes of things I like so I'll probably enjoy it anyway. Your remark about the sex scene is reasonable, unnecessary fan service is never good, and about the "sword that fell from the sky" scene, it appears they were trying to make a mystery out of it.

Since the movie has a lot more fightan than the first one and you didn't mind all the CG and differences I'll go on a limb and say you will probably like it.

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

Postby A.T. Fish » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:02 am

^ I liked it, but it felt short to me, like not much happened in there. The fighting was gorgeous but so excessive that it didn't leave much room to develop more of the story. The first movie was better in my opinion.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:06 pm

JoJo episode 12

TACOS!

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:15 pm

SAO 25 and SAO as a series

And so ends the most disappointing series I've ever watched. I suppose it speaks to how few anime I've watched compared to some people here that I can safely call SAO "the most disappointing," but the reality is more complicated. To fully explain why I can call SAO the most disappointing show I've watched yet I need to break it down into two parts.

First: What I expected/wanted going in and early on...

SPOILER: Show
I'm sure coL remembers my reactions to the first few episodes of the series back in the summer, and anyone else who remembers them will know too, but I had really high hopes for SAO. I mean really high. The worst thing I had read about SAO going in was that the mc was a Mary Sue, but that didn't bother me at all. I wasn't expecting anything intellectual, I didn't care if the MC was 'perfection incarnate' because I wasn't interested in him, I was interested in the setting. A story about thousands of people being locked in an VRMMO for years, where death in the game results in death IRL? I can't even imagine something that appeals to me more than that. It's like they took my two favorite things, fantasy settings and video games, and flawlessly merged them together into something I've dreamt about since I first opened the door to Seyda Neen so many moons ago: a virtual world.

Sounds simple. Liberally enough almost every game since the mediums inception has been one, more specific and you can say the hundreds of MMO's since the genre blossomed out of MUDs has each featured a "virutal world." But the truth is, really, that none of them have. No single game has every truly featured a virtual world, they haven't even come close. The game will always be just a game to some, if not most, people. They're always going to act in the game in ways they'd never even think of acting IRL. They're going to troll, they're going to grief, they're going to just act like imbeciles because "lol it's just a game who cares nerd get a lyfe 4 real." But by making SAO a "death game," by locking people in, the vast majority of that's eliminated. And even more than that, even more than forcing people to take it seriously, you have people treating it like it's a life. Agil and Lisbeth both open a blacksmith, because you have to make money somehow and you can't always be out progressing, that chick in the early Yui episodes creates an orphanage for the kids in the game, the IT guy becomes a fisherman, people buy houses and open businesses and offer services. Because when you're locked in the game, when you can't leave, when death is really death, it stops being a game. The food they eat tastes real, the air and the sun feel real, the life they're living is real, even if it's not "in the real world."

And that's what I wanted. I wanted a 2 cour anime that explored the world of the game. The mechanics, how people were adapting, how they were living, how the game worked, because like I said early on, and it's still true: I would sign up for SAO even knowing about the death mechanic. I don't know what I'd do when I played it, I don't know if I'd join a progression guild or just open a black smith or a tavern or what, but I would sign up in a heart beat. My god that'd be amazing.

Second: What I wanted, not expected, halfway through the series after I'd given up hope for it...

Let's take SAO. Let's tidy up the plot devices a little bit, make the whole "locked in the game" a little bit more believable. Now let's remove Kirito. Lets' remove Asuna. Let's make, instead of Kirito or Asuna, let's make the main character someone completely unlikely as a hero. Let's have multiple main characters, none of whom know each other. A ten year old who bought SAO day 1 with birthday money, a 15 year old who isn't destined to be the MC so doesn't have plot armor, and a 35 year old who's married and has kids in the single digit age range. None of them join a progression guild because none of them want to risk their life. They all go about the SAO game as if it was the real world, doing labor and business to get by, socializing, just living. Now without Kirito what happens? The progression groups get demolished in the higher floors. When those guilds are all gone progression's over. What was a 2 year time frame in the show now becomes, let's say 20 years. The game only ends when Kayaba dies, well let's pretend Kayaba has a heart attack and dies 20 years after SAO starts.

What if the story focused on those characters, the progression of their lives through those 20 years in SAO, and, more importantly, how they adapted to the real world once it was over? The 10 year old gets adopted by a couple in the game within a year or two of it starting. He grows up in the game with a new family. How does his life go when the game finally ends? He's now 30, the mother and father waiting for him, holding onto hope he'll come out of the death game, they're not the mother and father he remembers, they're not his family any more. His family is the family from the game. So now these people who've come to his bedside every day for 20 years, who've only wanted their son back, finally have him but he doesn't care about them. Then you have the 15 year old, he's lost his youth completely. He's at an age where most people would be well on their way to the peak of their careers and he hasn't even completed high school. And the 35 year old? That's easy. His wife's moved on and married someone else, his parents have died, and his kids don't remember him. When he entered the game he had a perfect life, now that he's left it he's alone in a foreign world. And that's important, too. The world is foreign to them. They've spent the last 20 years doing everything from cooking to buying things using UI's. They've missed 20 years of technology, of world political changes, of cultural changes. They're all people out of time.

I'm thinking Cast Away, combined with Rip Van Winkle, put together with a modern tilt. I'll be honest, this one's been eating at me since it first came to me. I've never in my life wanted to write a fanfic but damned if I didn't start jotting down ideas when this came to me. Admittedly it probably wouldn't work as a TV show, the format wouldn't fit, but it would work as a book I think, and that's what SAO originally is.

So yea, those are my two desires from SAO. Like I said, I want(ed) either of them, I expected the former but not the latter, and I got neither. Instead I got a pretty horribly paced, unbelievable mess with two main characters who fail miserably when compared to the side characters, who are probably only good because the writer doesn't spend a lot of time on them which means they aren't ruined. Was it the worst show I've ever seen? No, not by far, and if it gets a sequel I'll probably watch it. Given its potential, though, even if it wasn't the worst it sure was the most disappointing, and I think that's worse.

Debating trying to read the LN. I hear it's better but even if they fix the pacing it won't make the story what I wanted.

Edit: Also sorry Arkiel, my information on "the seed" was apparently only the tip of the iceberg.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:13 pm

SAO - 25. So. Here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to delete episodes 15 - 24, rename 25 to 15, and alter the subtitles so the guy that built SAO is the guy in the parking lot, and The Seed is an unexpected consequence of Kitaro beating SAO.

Because seriously, fuck ALO. This was the coda I was -expecting- and the sister bullshit added nothing to it. Oh, a dance on the clouds, how touching! Only now they're doing SAO just for fun, which seems a lot like a Vietnam 'tunnel-rat' vet living in a drainage pipe. Its tasteless, means he's homeless, and belies tremendous categorical mental fucktitude.

Fuck this shit.

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:17 pm

ark mate I think you're more mad then I am.

Edit: Actually now that I think about it I just went through anger earlier. My progression was:

Denial: When they decide to get married.
Anger: Yui arc
Acceptance: First real world episode.

Speaking of Vietnam, can you imagine what went on at that "party"? Bunch of people with PTSD getting together at a bar, those conversations can't have been nearly as happy as they looked.

"Hey Kirito, how you doin?"
"Fine. Thinking about Sachi."
"Yea man I feel ya, we lost a lot of good people in there."

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:13 am

While going through my old YouTube favorites today, I just realized that it has already been 2 years since "GAINAX ruined my Christmas" (aka Panty & Stocking). Time flies. The OST is still pretty awesome.

Anyway, more ontopic: I'm still checking Shinsekai yori every week. It explores really interesting characters, ideas and setting - but it's sometimes awkwardly handicapped by its offbeat execution and disastrous QUALITY moments. On top of that, I've finally started to watch Joshiraku again since I put it on-hold after the first two episodes back when it was being aired.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:39 am

SAO - glad I didn't latch onto it.

On the other hand, watched the pre-air version of the first episode of... you know what I mean. :)

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Final Messenger » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:44 pm

JoJo's episode 12
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:34 pm

EvangelionFan wrote:In addition, Madman has announced another theatrical run for From up on Poppy Hill in Australia. Starting in selected cinemas on Thursday the 20th of December, it is another opportunity for Australian residents to see the film. As with the screening in the Reel Anime festival, this screening will be in Japanese with English subtitles. I don't know if it will run for a few days or if it is only on the 20th, as the Madman page doesn't say and Dendy won't post the cinema times until tomorrow afternoon.

I saw From Up on Poppy Hill this morning and it turns out that it had actually been screening with the new English voice cast.

poster  SPOILER: Show

I really enjoyed this film. It has the relaxed atmosphere and steady pace that I've come to appreciate in Studio Ghibli films. I'm also glad that I got to see the English version, and I believe fans of the English-language versions will be pleased with this version too. It also includes some nice subtitles for some of the locations and the club paper when they are on-screen, and it's done in a nice paintbrush-ish font that I felt fit the film.

If you are an anime fan in Australia and you have not yet seen From up on Poppy Hill, today could be your last chance to see it in cinemas as I haven't seen any further times announced for after Christmas. I admit the release was rather low-key for a Ghibli film (compared to the promotion for the Ponyo English-language version, this was a blip), but I hope those of you who missed out on it in September got to see it this time around - if not, the last screening is in half an hour so you'd better hop to it.

As for a theatrical run in North America, the article on Wikipedia states that it is scheduled for release in March 2013. I have no idea why they scheduled it for March if the dub is already finished and in screening - I guess it could be for a number of reasons, for instance it could be something to do with selecting and/or approving theatres for the theatrical run, or it could be that the licensor or distributor (in this case, Buena Vista) does not want to run it at the same time as their domestic production.
Voluntary Illusion.

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Justacrazyguy » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:25 pm

Finished FLCL/Furi-Kuri: Total madness.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Return to “Old Stickies”