3.0 Film Reaction Thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:45 pm

Well that was a glowing review.

I think the Shinji bieng the audience avatar helps explain some of the negative reaction to the time skip. This really was not what we were expecting, at all. So at first there is a lot of shock and while we adjust people are upset. I sure was at first, but now I'm somewhat more looking forward to this. It doesn't help that without a lot of the nuances you get from actually seeing it, it's been hard to actually understand the relationships between some of the charecter relationships, or how to view Shinji. Although even then Shinji is probably going to be debated. Sadly I'm gonna have to wait for the Legit english DVD.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:37 pm

I have seen Q once a week since it came out, for a total of three viewings so far. I think I can say that, overall, I love this movie. :rei_hissyfit:
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:07 am

View Original PostLiLi wrote:I have seen Q once a week since it came out, for a total of three viewings so far. I think I can say that, overall, I love this movie. :rei_hissyfit:

So I guess though its hard to compare, would you say that Q is your favorite out of the three Rebuild movies we have so far? Better than 1.0 and 2.0?

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:14 am

View Original PostElectric Sachiel wrote:So I guess though its hard to compare, would you say that Q is your favorite out of the three Rebuild movies we have so far? Better than 1.0 and 2.0?

I cannot say which one is objectively better, but at this moment in time I would have to say that yes, Q is indeed my favorite. I reached this conclusion just recently, after making time to rewatch all three during the week-end. :asuka_thumbsup:

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:19 am

No surprise there... You do love your fembois. :biii:
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:24 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:No surprise there... You do love your fembois. :biii:

Aww, you know I love my ReiRei!!!

Also, not necessarily a bad thing but, the KS romance was less "hands on" (*cough*) compared to the tvseries, if you know what I mean... Although I cannot say it was exactly subtle! :lol:

One of the things I enjoyed is probably the [s]sound of my own brain going splody[/s] feeling of being led down the path to a new adventure, if it makes sense? Familiar and yet unfamiliar territory at the same time.

Adam
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Adam » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:53 pm

I saw all the images (theater pamphlet) and trailers (excl. the camrip) before I got to Tokyo/Japan to see it, so I think I knew 75% of the story so far, and 50% of the visuals, excluding however the whole startup-sequence of the Wunder (Angel attack - yes or no?!?) and almost all the details about what happens in central dogma and thereafter.

Taking this into consideration, I wasn't really surprised about the 14-year time skip and 4th impact, the Wunder (otherwise: WTF?!?) and all the other changes. Still this movie is so full of stunning visuals, it was way more than I expected. I must say I love all the stuff like Lilith, Adam(s), LoL, Eva with halos and weird Impact visuals, and this movie is full of it. Hard to believe that Anno still has room for imagination after so many years of Evangelion. I'm glad he made Rebuild so much different form the TV show and EoE, as otherwise 2.0 and 3.0 would be as "lame" as 1.0 (it's just a visually improved remake of the TV episodes).

To sum it up: The action is relatively scarce, if compared to 2.0, and there's a lot of talking going on between the first and the last battle(s), but the pacing is fast, soundtrack is great and the visuals are stunning. It's a hard call, having to make a decision about which is better, 2.0 (I esp. love the Sahaquiel and Zeruel battle, and the 3rd impact) or 3.0, but I'd say 3.0, coz it's mind blowing, hell is literally breaking loose.
Last edited by Adam on Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:01 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:02 am

It looks like this article talks a little bit about why 3.0 is so much more "popular" than the previous 2 movies:

http://www.oricon.co.jp/news/movie/2019387/full/

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:41 am

If I may make use of an analogy...

If 1.0 is the childhood friend who grew up into a charming adult before you even noticed, and 2.0 is the friend who went abroad for a while and came back still familiar but changed in many ways, then maybe 3.0 is the mysterious transfer student who came to turn your world upside down... either to sweep you off your feet or break your heart... or maybe both. :shinji_blush:

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:43 am

That's a good analogy, I like that.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:35 am

So what kind of girl is final going to be? All I can come up with is the one who seems sweet and nice, and then you find out she's a serial killer.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:39 am

View Original PostDarkwing wrote:So what kind of girl is final going to be? All I can come up with is the one who seems sweet and nice, and then you find out she's a serial killer.

^This. It seems like there will be a quiet beginning (with that "place of hope") with shit going crazy all around us later.

Also, it's Anno making that film. That alone should be enough of a warning...
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Charsi
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Charsi » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:30 am

View Original PostDarkwing wrote:So what kind of girl is final going to be? All I can come up with is the one who seems sweet and nice, and then you find out she's a serial killer.

So... Yuno Gasai?

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:12 pm

Okay just going to put a musing on the effects Rebuild could have on future anime production here. The fears of a dark side to it's success. Just as many hack filmakers took away from Jaws that "Shark eating people=$$$"", the wrong thing could be taken from Rebuild. Namely that they'll take away "Dark and Depressing, make the protagonist suffer, creepy visuals" without the depth that actually makes it work. Or the series that get descriped as the creator saying "Eva done right" or "If Shinji wasn't a wuss" And lets not get started on the fanfiction.

Well it's probably an unfounded fear. Eva was influencial, but honestly the original didn't have that much in the way of rip-offs. I think.

Yaywalter
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Yaywalter » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:44 pm

View Original PostDarkwing wrote:Okay just going to put a musing on the effects Rebuild could have on future anime production here. The fears of a dark side to it's success. Just as many hack filmakers took away from Jaws that "Shark eating people=$$$"", the wrong thing could be taken from Rebuild. Namely that they'll take away "Dark and Depressing, make the protagonist suffer, creepy visuals" without the depth that actually makes it work. Or the series that get descriped as the creator saying "Eva done right" or "If Shinji wasn't a wuss" And lets not get started on the fanfiction.

Well it's probably an unfounded fear. Eva was influencial, but honestly the original didn't have that much in the way of rip-offs. I think.

What dark side? If that were to happen, it'd be an improvement over all these shitty anime getting made by people who've decided that "cute ecchi moeblobs" is the formula for making $ucce$$ful anime. :p

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:47 pm

Someone will ALLWAYS get it wrong... It can't be helped, I guess.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:57 am

View Original PostYaywalter wrote:What dark side? If that were to happen, it'd be an improvement over all these shitty anime getting made by people who've decided that "cute ecchi moeblobs" is the formula for making $ucce$$ful anime. :p

Because just being dark isn't going to make it good. It's like saying that the Shark made Jaws good, so any movie about a shark should be good. Shitty Dark anime is still shitty, and now depressing too.

Angel 13
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Angel 13 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:36 pm

Yeah I'm going to be honest with you all; I didn't like the last part of this movie one bit. I thought the whole deal with the spears seemed pointless to me, and the fact that Shinji even pulled them out seemed even more rediculous. Seriously, why is Shinji such an idiot in this movie? Yeah I get what he says, when he explains to Kaworu that he has to do something since he got into the Eva, but wouldn't you think that he would listen to Kaworu's warnings first and think about the consequences before pulling them out?
Kaworu, after all, is the reason why he got into the Eva in the first place.
Kaworu Nagisa: Humans constantly feel pain in their hearts. Because the heart is so sensitive to pain, humans also feel that to live is to suffer.

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:39 pm

To be honest for me there are two kinds of reactions.
1- The intellectual reaction. Okay this is the one where I look into it. Find the meanings, untangle the imagery, theorize on the plot, etc. And that reaction is the one that was positive for 3.0.
2- The emotional reaction. Rather than what did it make me think, this is how did it make me feel. And this one is negative. See I was an idiot. I actually somehow thought that things had changed with how Eva would emotionally make me feel. It wouldn't be so damn deppressing to watch the charecters I like get destroyed and maimed so Anno could make some damn point about the human condition. That I might see an ending for them that I emotionally enjoyed. Psych nope! Well fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me thrice... I'm an idiot, but your still an asshole. So if there thing 3.0 has taught me, it's that I should not have hope for an ending I'll enjoy in Eva.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”