FanFiction Requests/Recommendations/Discussion etc.

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

gorgeousshutin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby gorgeousshutin » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:49 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Well, unless they could imagine themselves in their own hearts, that is :D

There's probably an "out of sight, out of mind" effect here, as we only get the view from orbit or from inside the GeoFront; the ground level effects of all the impact related events we are shown are not directly relevant to the story, so get no more than their implication.

I see. Thanks, Mr. Tines!
The Gorgeous Shut-in
Current fics:
(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018)
(PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Nov, 2017)
(NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016)
(Banana Fish)Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 01, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works
or
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:03 pm

I noticed that discrepancy too. According to the wiki, the Geofront has a diameter of slightly over 16 and a half kilometers. Accounting for the fact that Japan is a known tectonic hotspot next to an oceanic plate which is known to be thinner already, I believe that tearing a hole that deep into the crust would create a supervolcano right in the middle of the Kanto region.

If the Toba catastrophe theory is true, even a single supervolcanic eruption on the equatorial regions had catastrophic consequences - much less one on the northern hemisphere where an overwhelming majority of humanity lives. At the very least, we'd have a nuclear winter followed by a centuries-long ice age. So yeah, stories where the kids go back to the ruins are problematic in the way that realistically, half of the frickin' island should be gone.

Just as problematic as continuation stories where the city gets rebuilt and NERV continues operating out of the Geofront which we saw exploding/disintegrating/whatever at the end of Instrumentality. I only found a SINGLE fic that took care of that plothole. One fic out of all I ever read.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

EvaBrothers
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby EvaBrothers » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:10 pm

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:So yeah, stories where the kids go back to the ruins are problematic in the way that realistically, half of the frickin' island should be gone.

The plot still leaves us with the enigma of what a kind of life Asuka and Shinji will live after the 3rd Impact. They would still need to rebuild some of their world in order to survive as human beings.

One would assume that people would reorganize what's left into a new city, while the remnants of planet Earth would stay 'dead' (unless other people chose to get their bodies back).

This is something I've considered for my own fanworld, so it's just my 2 cents. :)
~ Luana Spinetti ~ [email protected] (Email)
Note: I'm no longer the author of the fanfiction "Eva Brothers from Cybertron". I passed authorship to a friend (Lia Dospetti) who's turning it into her own work, while still maintaining homages to NGE and Transformers, as well as Star Trek. I still draw the artworks, though, and I have some fragments of the old fanfic here.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:19 pm

View Original PostEvaBrothers wrote:The plot still leaves us with the enigma of what a kind of life Asuka and Shinji will live after the 3rd Impact. They would still need to rebuild some of their world in order to survive as human beings.

One recent story I read (Shinji's Angels, look it up on FF.net) solved that enigma simply: Third Impact killed off not only humanity but ALL life on the planet, down to the microbial level. Thus, the kids starved to death soon after they left, as did everyone who followed them out of the sea. Good thing someone happened to have a reset button...

One would assume that people would reorganize what's left into a new city, while the remnants of planet Earth would stay 'dead' (unless other people chose to get their bodies back).

This is something I've considered for my own fanworld, so it's just my 2 cents. :)

Well, I have an in-progress fanworld where Earth is written off by humanity for good after 3I (which happens at the end of the story, with even more horrific consequences than in canon).
Last edited by amitakartok on Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

EvaBrothers
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby EvaBrothers » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:23 pm

How, terrible end of the story, the literal way. ^^ Guess we can leave it up to imagination (I like happy endings).
Note: I'm no longer the author of the fanfiction "Eva Brothers from Cybertron". I passed authorship to a friend (Lia Dospetti) who's turning it into her own work, while still maintaining homages to NGE and Transformers, as well as Star Trek. I still draw the artworks, though, and I have some fragments of the old fanfic here.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:26 pm

Which story? (you ninja'd the rest of my post)

EvaBrothers
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby EvaBrothers » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:33 pm

The story of humankind after 3I. It's a sad ending if everybody just dies. :) I tend to give my fics happy endings (perhaps not that happy, but something on that line). I'd like to read your story, though.

Sorry, I guess you were still writing your post when I posted. Me and my bad timing.. XD

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:14 pm

View Original PostEvaBrothers wrote:I'd like to read your story, though.

I'm not confident you'd like it; it's an AU with an extremely out-of-character Kaworu as protagonist. As arkiel here suggested, I asked Fresh C to beta it for he and his reaction to the first chapter was, and I quote:

You said he was OOC and you were right. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but what you turned him into is pretty annoying in my books. It’s the same sort of lame anime archetype who is supposed to be aloof and cool, but mostly comes off as a smartass.
Now here’s the thing: I don’t like the way you’ve described Kawaru but that is mostly due to the fact that I’ve seen this type of character written a million times in the past. Usually the character turns out to be pretty flat and one dimensional. It is almost never satisfactorily explained why the character is so sarcastic/distrusting/moody/snarky and the character is almost never given any negative characteristics to humanize them.
However, it’s too early in this story to tell if those things are true. Maybe you redeem the character in later chapters. Perhaps when the plot picks up it will be easier to add some definition to him that humanizes him. Given the level of skill you displayed in the first few scenes, I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if you have. But I just want to let you know up front, not a fan of the character as he is now.

As I explained it to him (he didn't respond yet), one of the reasons I wrote the story was an experiment about what would happen if you were to put a stereotypical hotblooded prodigy robot pilot into the Evaverse.

I kid you not, Rebuild 3.0 actually spoiled several late-story plot points I intended to use for months now (can't tell which ones as I already got banned once for that reason).

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:06 pm

^I guess this means you're good? I had a lot of ideas that no one's gonna believe me I had before Q was out.

And yeah, Tokyo-3 should be toast.
Forget the Black moon rising, the N2 Mines bombing the Geofront open should've taken care of the Katsuragi apparment.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:40 pm

Explained it in PM but no, I wouldn't exactly call myself good. With only two Eva stories under my belt, I don't have the experience for that sort of thing.

DuncanR
Embryo

Postby DuncanR » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:50 pm

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:I kid you not, Rebuild 3.0 actually spoiled several late-story plot points I intended to use for months now (can't tell which ones as I already got banned once for that reason).

You could always do what I did, and say your fic's Alternate Universe/Divergent Timeline is an offshoot of the TV series only. That would cover your backside... from a purely technical standpoint. :)

Fan-fiction is all about putting your own unique spin on things, while still preserving something from the original. I'm guessing those plot points of yours are only truly, hopelessly lost if they matched up very closely with whatever happens in 3.0. If they were simply invalidated by new info (The Angels are actually powered by giant gummi bears! Really!), they might not be lost at all. Not if you've got a good spin.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:23 pm

View Original PostDuncanR wrote:You could always do what I did, and say your fic's Alternate Universe/Divergent Timeline is an offshoot of the TV series only. That would cover your backside... from a purely technical standpoint. :)

Well, I am using the TV series Angels. The state of the Earth (climate, color of seas, etc.) however is entirely original.

DuncanR
Embryo

Postby DuncanR » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:39 pm

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:Well, I am using the TV series Angels. The state of the Earth (climate, color of seas, etc.) however is entirely original.

Then I take it 3.0 "stole" your ideas? :(

Edit: To clarify, not being sarcastic or antagonistic. I myself am constantly worried that my fic includes something that might appear in 3.0. Does it still count as a spoiler if I've had zero exposure to the original work? No idea.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:04 am

View Original PostDuncanR wrote:Does it still count as a spoiler if I've had zero exposure to the original work? No idea.
If the event in question arises naturally from the set-up, and there are no obvious places where the details are suspiciously close.

To take a 2.0 example - having Asuka falling victim to Bardiel would be fine (happens in NXE already); having her pilot EVA-03 when it happens, depends on why; because a newly invented third-party organization impounds EVA-02, rather dodgy; in a lovingly described transparent slutsuit, that's right out.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

thegrove
Embryo

An antithesis to the Human Instrumentality Project

Postby thegrove » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:16 am

Here I am with an idea I think is original, but likely already thought of by others.
However, I'm afraid that it hasn't risen above the noise floor of mere description,
so I will attempt to codify the basic structure of the concepts I've been mulling over
in the hopes that we'll see someone take this and develop it to its natural conclusion.
God knows I can't be bothered to finish a story around this, but I hope this will change
once it's publically shared.

Progenesis of the Idea wrote:Almost a year ago I was looking for some visual novels, preferably ren'ai adventures where you try to get the girl.
I eventually stumbled upon a title I initially thought was a admiration club: Katawa Shoujo. The game luckily was
just finished, and was free to boot. Piqued by its originality, I downloaded it and gave it a try.

First I went down Hanako's route. It didn't seem to affect me, but the game was working its magic laying the groundwork
for the next route I tried: Lilly. At first everything seemed to be going perfect, and I was developing a relationship with
a girl I could only dream of being with. Then, the hand of fate quickly threatened to separate her from my grasp.
After learning of her eventual emigration, I felt sad and desperate. I needed to convince her to the contary any way
I possibly could. I was energized. Her route brought back feels I haven't felt in years.

I succeeded in my goal, but that's not what eventually brought me here. I then watched a music video someone thought
would go with Lilly, and that is when I generalized my epiphany and everted my worldview. I already knew that I
absolutely love chasing women that seemed perfect, and were guaranteed candidates for stillborn
romances
. What was at the core of that was the carrot-and-stick philosophy. I didn't give a damn about
who they were, just that they were impossible goals. That was enough for me. It made me feel alive

I quit my search for love the day I realized the game I was playing 5 years ago. Today, I've reconsidered, but the
existing feels from days past have interested me to no end for an additional reason; I also realized I actually like
feeling the drama of not just out-of-reach romance, but any "good" or "bad" situation, on a conscious
level, and beyond the endorphin rush such situations give rise to. Any contrast from "normal" was a
welcome change from my daily life. In short, I was developing into a "feels connoseiur", and from that
realization forward, I would never be the same

What's this have to do with Instrumentality? wrote:Mind you, I haven't synchronized completely with this separate self, or else I'd be well gone from this earth.
I had to channel these feels somehow, both to preserve my sanity and explore previous concepts in a new way.
So I scoured my mind and the internet for ways to crystallize these new, unusual thoughts into a new type of character.
He will be built on these phrases:

"It's the journey that matters, not the destination."

"The more misfortune you experience, the happier you can become."

"Life is the most precious experience you can have. You don't know just how fortunate you are to be alive."

"If you haven't risked anything, you haven't lived."

I will introduce ever so slight perversions to the interpretation and implementation of these phrases
that will turn an otherwise normal character into someone much darker, yet at the core, the character
shares the same spirit we humans have, the spirit that answers the question, "Why do we live?"

Here is a summation of what this character will be:

He won't be Shinji. He won't run away from reality. He will dive straight into the thick of it, warts and all,
and love every single second of it. Whether it be a tragedy or a miracle, he will relish it, even if he has
to be the one to instigate it. He lives for the feels, and will do anything to experience ever-extreme hills
and valleys that life brings, because he finds that what we call happiness is an illusion, and what we strive for
is to feel, the whole reason we even endeavor in the first place. To feel so much until nothing else matters,
until the essence of experience can be captured and the world made redundant.

He is duality incarnate. No one ever faces nadir towards his nature until the moment where it's too late, and
few look longer than the instant it takes to change themselves.

He will become the Blessed Agonies and the Blessed Joys. When he answers, it will always be the same phrase: "I feel".

His way of thinking is an imperfect solution towards Instrumentality. There are some easy counterarguments to his philosophy.
The eventual end (or lack thereof) to his spiral towards insanity will be governed by the motivations and fragmented philosophies
of him and other characters who try to convince him not to pass the manic event horizon.
The question will be: How shall all of this play out?

Sorry for making an extremely long first post. I hope to work towards saying a lot with so little in the future, especially when I do need to explain what I think.[/i]
Towards a cataclysmic conclusion

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:26 pm

View Original PostDuncanR wrote:Then I take it 3.0 "stole" your ideas? :(

More like independently came up with and used first, making it look like I stole it when in fact no one stole from anyone.

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby driftking18594 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:18 pm

Before Q was released, I had an idea for a post-2.0 fanfic which would portray Kaworu as an embodiment of the worst aspects of gods. Should I go ahead and try to write it?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:20 pm

Go for it.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

Postby Clover » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:22 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:NXE

New Xenu Edition...?

I shamelessly started incorporating 3.0 material in my post-EoE.
SPOILER: Show

We never did see what happened to Lilith's lance, so why not slap 'Cassius' on there and put it in.

EDIT: Now that is really old. And really weird.
Last edited by Clover on Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:23 pm

View Original PostClover wrote:New Xenu Edition...?
http://www.eyrie.net/NXE/

Return to “Fanfiction”