Q Movie reactions (NO SPOILER)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Fry
Embryo

Postby Fry » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:44 am

Hey everybody! I'm a VERY long time stalker and not much of a talker, but I couldn't resist to give my two cents about what I've seen from the movie so far.

Because, yeah, the French being I am is not in Japan right now, but I was able to have a more precise idea about the movie thanks to the 15mn camrip (I haven't read any spoilers at all beforehand or afterward).

This camrip definitely backups what we've read so far : it is IMPOSSIBLE to guess what is going to happen. The music, art or the general feeling are Evangelion without a doubt, but the events are unpredictable. It's like - this is only a comparison impression-wise - the Goa'Uld attacked the women of Desperate Housewives : you are taken aback. You weren't expecting that. This is some crazy stuff. Then again, since I already know the series by heart, I can only be happy to be surprised once again.

A music struck me though, but this may be a little spoilerish so here goes nothing :
SPOILER: Show
In that scene when X is talking to X in room bathed in orange light, the music playing sounds a LOT like the fairy one of Zelda games doesn't it? Or is it just me?

Can't wait to watch the full movie!

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:24 pm

Not sure if this was posted already, but Japan Cinema has a 3.0 review up. It has spoilers here and there so if you're staying completely spoiler-free you shouldn't read:
Review link  SPOILER: Show
[url]http://japancinema.net/2012/11/29/evangelion-3-0-you-can-not-redo-review/[/url]
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Rj123541
Leliel
Leliel

Postby Rj123541 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:28 pm

View Original PostFry wrote:Hey everybody! I'm a VERY long time stalker and not much of a talker, but I couldn't resist to give my two cents about what I've seen from the movie so far.

Because, yeah, the French being I am is not in Japan right now, but I was able to have a more precise idea about the movie thanks to the 15mn camrip (I haven't read any spoilers at all beforehand or afterward).

This camrip definitely backups what we've read so far : it is IMPOSSIBLE to guess what is going to happen. The music, art or the general feeling are Evangelion without a doubt, but the events are unpredictable. It's like - this is only a comparison impression-wise - the Goa'Uld attacked the women of Desperate Housewives : you are taken aback. You weren't expecting that. This is some crazy stuff. Then again, since I already know the series by heart, I can only be happy to be surprised once again.

A music struck me though, but this may be a little spoilerish so here goes nothing :
In that scene when X is talking to X in room bathed in orange light, the music playing sounds a LOT like the fairy one of Zelda games doesn't it? Or is it just me?

Can't wait to watch the full movie!
15min camrip? Where did you find this?
logic.
ロジック
Avatar: "Irelia", my top lane masterpiece.

Fearthebait
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby Fearthebait » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:30 pm

15min CamRip.....I...MUST...RESIST!

Then again that's the first I've ever heard of it and it's not like I could understand it anyway.
You can't spell slaughter without laughter!

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:33 pm

View Original PostFearthebait wrote:15min CamRip.....I...MUST...RESIST!

Then again that's the first I've ever heard of it and it's not like I could understand it anyway.

If it's a camrip, the quality is probably horrendous and it probably wouldn't be subtitled. I wouldn't try too hard looking for it. Besides, it's probably already been taken down from whatever site it was posted to.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:01 pm

The 12 minute camrip is old news if you lurk the Q Subforum [SPOILERS] http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/13495/SPOILERS-12min-of-bad-camrip-out/

Now can we get back on topic?

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:30 pm

Just got back from my trip this morning.

Saw the movie two times and it absolutely blew me away. I'm so glad I kept myself spoiler-free for those few days, because I reckon if I had of read any of that without seeing it first-hand; I'd have scoffed. Hard. Instead, I went in completely unaware and it floored me. It's so very crazy and yeah, I have my own gripes with it, but the sheer scope and brilliance of the movie outshine those issues (this isn't NGE after all). Was surprised how much of it I understood and was able to actually follow too.

Visually, Q is next level. Simply breathtaking to watch and the soundtrack is on par. Snagged the CD from the Eva Store just the other day so can't wait to rip it onto my MP3 player...

Shinji is awesome (IMO) and Kaworu's role is beautiful. Oh, and that ending?

Yep. I got a little teary, both times.

Anyway, I'm exhausted and I have a ton of shit to unpack, but I look forward to getting into the nitty-gritty in the 'Q and Beyond' sub-forum soon.

Edit: LOL. Had role as "roll".
Last edited by Blue Monday on Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:52 am

Glad to have you back! I'm so jealous
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:22 am

That's a nice report, Blue. The kind of that gets me hyped without revealing anything.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:12 am

Glad you're home safe, Blue Monday! Just like Fireball, your short assessment has made me even more excited than I already was - if that's even possible. Thanks for keeping it spoiler-free!
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

laika
Embryo

Postby laika » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:23 pm

Oh yeah, I meant to post this earlier. I bought an Eva popcorn set at the theater:

Just photos, no spoilers  SPOILER: Show

Apparently the base of the Eva figure is also the lid to the cup, but I was too stupid to figure that out before taking the pictures.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Rei IV » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:05 pm

Blue Monday, I just realized that Australia isn't that far off from Japan and given its location in the Pacific, you have more accessibility than most most of us, even if its an almost 10 hour flight (from Sydney, that is). Where I live, it's 14-15 hour flight from Boston (I live in the state of Massachusetts in the U.S.A.). It's amazing how there are people out there who are just visiting Japan just to see the film. Their wallets are must be hurting, if you take into consideration air fare, movie tickets, merchandise and maybe even a place to stay. Jeez, the anticipation is killing me! I want to see some Shinji and Kaworu interaction so bad!

:hahaha:

It's also testament to long and excruciating wait folks in North America have to go through. It hasn't even been a month since the movie has been released and I'm still agonizing over Evangelion 3.0 to come out in the States. Why did I become of fan Evangelion before a NA release!

BTW, lakia, I'm so freaking jealous! The EVA figurine is neat.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:54 pm

View Original Postlaika wrote:Oh yeah, I meant to post this earlier. I bought an Eva popcorn set at the theater:

Just photos, no spoilers  SPOILER: Show

Apparently the base of the Eva figure is also the lid to the cup, but I was too stupid to figure that out before taking the pictures.

I thought about buying one, but the last 2 times I just threw the box out and kept the drink top, and the only one available was the Eva-01 top, and I already have one of those from 1.0's premiere (there was 2 back then, an Eva-01 and Rei), didn't feel like waiting in the long line for another Eva-01 drink top, though this one looks little better than the one from 1.0.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:29 pm

View Original Postlaika wrote:I bought an Eva popcorn set at the theater:

Best thing is you preserved the popcorn bag - GJ!

View Original PostRei IV wrote:Blue Monday, I just realized that Australia isn't that far off from Japan...

Seven hour flight from where I am. One of the only cool things about Cairns is that it has direct daily services into both Narita and Kansai Airports. Well, we do have the Great Barrier Reef and world heritage listed rainforests as well, but they barely make up for all the crap stuff...

View Original PostOrnette wrote:I thought about buying one...

Me too, but doing some serious thinking in line decided I just cared about the theatrical program with the expanded art, of which they were sold out of anyway.

gr1m14
Embryo

Postby gr1m14 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:46 pm

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:Evangelion is like the Japanese Star Wars.

Lol actually, I think this is the absolute best mindset in viewing and understanding what the staff are trying to do and what the whole picture is about. If we put it into perspective, 3.0 would act the same way as the new Star Wars films that are about to be made by Disney, i think. It would be strange watching a star wars film without the original characters, or at least with the same characters grown up, and my guess is not many fans would be pleased in watching their beloved series take a whole new direction. In the first installment they would be all like "Huh?", but the real appreciation would come from multiple viewings i think.
hi :)

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:21 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:One of the only cool things about Cairns is that it has direct daily services into both Narita and Kansai Airports.

I'll have to keep that in mind when looking for a place to live.
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:25 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:
Shinji is awesome (IMO)

So it's not only me who's weird.

Sorta consoling to hear that after all the dishearting storm of hate.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

laika
Embryo

Postby laika » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:19 am

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Best thing is you preserved the popcorn bag GJ!

It's not even that I preserved it - they actually served the popcorn and drink in the standard plain cardboard and gave me the Eva ones folded up in a plastic bag to take home! They did the same thing at the Madoka movie, and I've seen them for sale in a few used figure shops. Only in Japan.

Xavierla
Adam

Postby Xavierla » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:56 pm

Is the only way to watch this movie going to Japan. I really don't want to have to do all of that.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:16 pm

View Original PostXavierla wrote:Is the only way to watch this movie going to Japan.
No. You can wait about a year for the home video to be available.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”