Yui in 3.0 and Beyond

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

[SPOILERS] Yui in 3.0 and Beyond

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:01 pm

Okay so we don't see much of Yui in 3.0 but we do still learn a few things about her.

This time her maiden name was Ayanami. May not mean much, but it does make her connection to Rei more blatent.

She played Shogi but with less pawns than usual. This is very interesting. I may be reading too much into it, but it makes me wonder. Shogi is japanes chess, and normally a when it's mentioned a charecter plays chess it means they are skilled at planning or manipulation. Now I don't know much about Shogi, but I do know that you can promote pieces. Perhaps as some point Yui is going to promote a pawn? Just wild speculation.

The final thing I'm wondering is what are Yui's goals? Are they the same as Gendo's? Or different? Does she still have a high priority on Shinji's happiness? Because if so she isn't doing too good a job.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: [SPOILERS] Yui in 3.0 and Beyond

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:17 pm

View Original PostDarkwing wrote:Perhaps at some point Yui is going to promote a pawn?

Well, that could hardly be other than Shinji, right?

And, God knows, he could do with it right now.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:32 pm

While there are still a couple of lines yet to be translated in the Fuyutsuki/Shinji scene, there doesn't appear to be anything regarding Yui and her shogi-playing practices after all. All of the shogi-related lines are from before Fuyutsuki launches into his Now, About Your Parents... monologue. So, while the Yui-shogi stuff was cool, it appears to be another misconception.

Here's what we have at the moment:

SPOILER: Show
00:54:53 Third Boy, do you play shogi?
00:54:57 Eh... I only sort of know the rules.
00:55:00 That's fine. Pick a side.
00:55:03 飛車角金は落としてやる。
00:55:13 Let your mind be still.
00:55:16 You must to achieve victory.
00:55:19 三十一手先で、君の積みだ。
00:55:31 ふーむ・・・・・これなら楽しめるか?
00:55:35 Thank you for indulging an old man his hobby.
00:55:42 I am a coward too. I used this game as a pretext to talk to you.
00:55:50 Do you remember your mother?
00:55:55 No. I was too small. Father got rid of everything that was hers.
00:56:07 Is this... Ayanami?
00:56:13 Your mother. Maiden name, Ayanami Yui.
00:56:16 She was my student at the university.
00:56:20 Now, she is the control system of Eva Unit 01.
00:56:27 Hm. The power was finally restored.
00:56:33 The control system from very early in the Evas' development.
00:56:38 Here, Yui-kun proposed direct entry into cores,
00:56:42 and tested it with herself as the experimentee.
00:56:46 You were watching, too. Your memory must have been erased.
00:56:56 The result was that Yui-kun vanished here, and only her data was recovered, in the Ayanami Series.
00:57:03 The Rei you know is one of the clones of Yui-kun.
00:57:08 She is preserved within Eva-01, the same as your mother.
00:57:13 All of it is Ikari's plan.
00:57:17 No way...
00:57:20 Destroying the world is not difficult, either.
00:57:24 But where rebuilding is concerned, that's not the case.
00:57:28 The world can be reversed no more than time. Nor even the human heart...
00:57:35 And thus, so that his wish might be granted, Ikari is paying every price there is.
00:57:41 Even his very soul.
00:57:44 I've imparted to you a little of the truth. Even about your father.
00:58:01 He's (?) truly in an inenviable position.
00:58:04 Yui-kun, this should do.
00:58:15 The time of the final contract is upon us.
00:58:20 Wait just a little longer, Yui.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:13 pm

So the Yui playing Shogi part was bogus. Oh well.

You know If I were Yui, I'd totally want a divorce from Gendo. Sleeping around (although I haven't seen any of that in rebuild) and royally screwing up with Shinji and all.
I'm not sure what I feel about Eva anymore, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually enjoy the series anymore.

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Na7e » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:24 pm

View Original PostDarkwing wrote:royally screwing up with Shinji and all.

Well...it's partly her fault that Shinji became a pariah for almost killing everybody.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:54 pm

View Original PostDarkwing wrote:You know If I were Yui, I'd totally want a divorce from Gendo.

In NGE, she eventually did file for a "separation". If you know what I mean.

[Insert apology for horrible pun here]
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:01 pm

Protip: The crazy one in that picture is not the one being bitten in half.

Yui's last name being changed seems like a minor detail, a kind of streamlining (where the hell did Ayanami come from in the series, anyway? I don't recall any detail on that) but it subtly removes a key piece of characterization for Gendo: He did not take her name as his when they married, she took his. That may not mean anything, or it may be incredibly important. I have a feeling the three girls all being -nami is a red herring and the real significance of the name Ayanami and what implies in his relationship towards Yui and Rei.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

gorgeousshutin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby gorgeousshutin » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:53 pm

Chuckman wrote:
He did not take her name as his when they married, she took his. That may not mean anything, or it may be incredibly important.

For the Japanese, a husband taking on the wife's family name signifies said husband's "wifely submission" to the wife - he becomes the one "marrying into" her family, and not vice versa.

Without taking on Yui's family name, Rebuild Gendo is being blatantly hinted as being less devoted/submissive to Yui than NGE Gendo.
The Gorgeous Shut-in
Current fics:
(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018)
(PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Nov, 2017)
(NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016)
(Banana Fish)Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 01, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works
or
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:29 pm

As a reminder of what was applicable in the old series - In Japan, a husband usually takes on the wife's family name if the wife's family is of a significantly higher status, and particularly if there aren't any brothers to carry on the wife's family name further. There was old NGE supplemental material (IIRC) about Yui Ikari being the only child of a Seele member, which gave a perfectly good reason for Gendo Rokubungi to become Gendo Ikari.

Yui did come off as quite the Yamato Nadeshiko in the old series. Apart from the change in status (she's no longer higher ranking than him in social position), it doesn't look like her personality has shifted from whatever little we've been exposed to. It's possible that Gendo is the Seele scion this time, and Yui, disgusted with Seele, decided to get into Eva-01 to stop their crazy schemes (after converting Gendo to her side). /end wild speculation
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Darkwing
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Darkwing » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:39 am

I wouldn't ever consider Yui a saint, or infallible. Having Shinji be there to watch when the Eva absorbed her (and everyone thought she died)? Great way to truamitize the kid. And it seems she really underestimated how badly Gendo would take it.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:01 am

Yui Ikari is more of a symbol than character in NGE and treating her like one quickly leads to our own "Ewok holocaust" interpretations a la Yui is a bitch - which of course are nonsense even if they can be argued for quite plausibly.

Nothing in NME so far has maked me revise my opinion on Yui. If anything she's even more distant and symbolic figure in background of the story as she has so far had less direct influence on events.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:09 am

I've never understood why there should be any love for Yui. OK, she contributed to the creation of EVAs, which held the destruction of mankind by third impact off for a while; but they way she did it led directly to most of the bad consequences in the rest of the story. Granted SEELE planned to destroy mankind anyway, but everything else comes down to what Yui did and Gendo's response to it.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:15 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I've never understood why there should be any love for Yui. OK, she contributed to the creation of EVAs, which held the destruction of mankind by third impact off for a while; but they way she did it led directly to most of the bad consequences in the rest of the story. Granted SEELE planned to destroy mankind anyway, but everything else comes down to what Yui did and Gendo's response to it.

Yui didn't really have options though - it's very heavily implied had she not went and merged with 01 SEELE would've literally got rid of her. By placing herself and her son as keys of 3rd Impact she did manage to snag victory from jaw's of defeat at very last moment - like she probably had planned from the start (if one thinks about it only time SEELE could effectively be overthrown is precisely in middle of Instrumentality. Pre-tang their control of the world is too absolute to be resisted).

A painful, almost hopeless road she went down but also understandable and probably only feasible one. It wouldn't even have been so bad if Gendo hadn't gone all grownup Shinji on his son and rejected him out of fear of hurting him (oh the irony). Yui's one miscalculation was overestimating her husband's ability to "deal with it" in her absense. A costly mistake to be sure (as far as father/son mental health is considered) but not one that could not be accomodated for.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:42 am

Let's see if I'm getting this right now:

So Yui got wind of SEELE's plan for the HIP, and the rest is her masterplan to (a) go along with killing the angels (thus preventing third impact which would wipe out the lilim?); (b) go along with the HIP just far enough to see SEELE tanged; and (c) with the help of Shinji, stop the HIP before it's too late for everyone else to come back. Meanwhile, Gendou decides he wants the HIP to reunite him with Yui, and meanwhile cold-shoulders Shinji because of jealousy of Yui's love for him (OK, that's from the manga, but it fits with him wanting Yui back for himself).

What I still don't get, though, is the relationship between third impact and the HIP, Gendou having Adam, and why Gendou needed anything different from SEELE's HIP anyway - but I guess that's for another thread, which probably exists already...

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:08 am

Oh yeah, the subject of Gendo Instrumentality vs. SEELE instrumentality is old as ever. Chances are it would've just involved him getting into Eva-01 with Yui and living with her all eternity while kicking rest of mankind out into the tang soup (which ends up happening anyway thanks to Shinji).

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:24 am

Yui's plan probably doesn't cover being kidnapped by Wille and used as a giant battery for the AAA Wunder... any idea why she hasn't eye-lasered her way out yet? Maybe she needs Shinji in the entry plug before she can do anything.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby chaosakita » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:42 pm

View Original PostDarkwing wrote:This time her maiden name was Ayanami. May not mean much, but it does make her connection to Rei more blatent.

I loved that Gendou was the one to change his surname in original Eva. I agree with Chuckman; it certainly does remove a key part of Gendou's character. Ah, whatever. I guess it doesn't matter now.
Avatar: Shinji and Kaworu get ice cream

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:44 pm

View Original Postchaosakita wrote:I loved that Gendou was the one to change his surname in original Eva. I agree with Chuckman; it certainly does remove a key part of Gendou's character. Ah, whatever. I guess it doesn't matter now.

Ikari means anchor, doesn't it? Yui is no longer the anchor, Gendo is.

Apparently, it can also mean "anger". Fascinating.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

[SPOILERS] Yui's consciousness

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:40 am

Following this remark:
View Original PostCJD wrote:Then we end up falling back on the question of what game is Yui playing that she sat dormant for 14 years. Truly she's a bigger mastermind then Gendo.
I wondered what consciousness of the outside world Yui now has as part of the Eva. It seems that in practice she only reacts to Shinji's state of mind when he is piloting, not directly to anything external (and although in NGE she reacts to him being outside Eva but nearby, she still only reacts to Shinji).

Thoughts?

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Na7e » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:51 am

Unit-01 rejects the dummy plug towards the end of 2.xx.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”