Q Movie reactions (NO SPOILER)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
ScottAsher
Embryo

Postby ScottAsher » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:28 pm

With the way people are responding, I'm actually not worried about being mad/disappointed.

I don't know how to feel.

Gekusu
Embryo

Postby Gekusu » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:27 pm

I swear I used to have an account here... anyways.

I caught the midnight showing on Saturday (there was no Friday midnight showing around here, unfortunately).

Every showing today sold out I believe. I'm sad to say that at my showing I did not see any cosplayers. The audience was very quiet, no cheering or gasping - so pretty much a standard Japanese audience (as I understand it).

The theatre was pretty quiet as we left...

I'm not sure if that's because we were all so tired, or because we were all completely mind-effed.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:49 pm

Haha, looks like that one person (Maya's seiyuu I think?) who predicted 3.0 splitting Eva fandom in half like nothing (ecept original show's shift in gears I guess) was right. I just took a look at the yahoo reviews with the average hanging around 3/5 stars and it looks like this:

4-5 star reviews: 137
3 star reviews: 60
1-2 star reviews: 124

It's hard to say how many of 3 star reviews lean towards positive/negative/complete neutrality without actually reading them but clearly positive and negative reviews are pretty much equal in number :lol:

Fandom split? Fandom split!

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:55 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:
4-5 star reviews: 137
3 star reviews: 60
1-2 star reviews: 124

It's about what I expected. polarizing the fanbase is what Anno does best.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:03 pm

i really wish I could see it.
"Anal devastation" sounds like I'll like it.

Also, I love how again there seem to be things no one saw comming (as I predicted), just like no one expected Rei trying to get the Ikaris back and stuff.

Man, I'll have to keep asking and speculating while the answers are already out there and I can't participate in the debating - I want to see this thing in its entirity with a translation so I can properly experience all the promised WTF-ness, but it's so frustrating that this bares me from joining in the debating.
Probably, I'll have to abstain from "that board" for a while, too, on my last visit, I quickly clicked it away because it seemed overrun with first reactions and strange constume sketches.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:07 pm

Yeah try to avoid most social media. I wish I had done that.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Der Kommissar
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Der Kommissar » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:19 pm

View Original Postmichaelovan wrote:LOL, that's why I'm blaming the Japanese in this case. Doesn't anyone else feel slightly uncomfortable when an audience claps at a blank screen?

I'd post the obligatory "mfw Americlaps clap when _____" reaction image, but I've been edited before for doing that, so I take that as discouragement.

Yeah, it's weird.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:27 pm

It's too early to contemplate on how 3.0's reception will turn out to be in final analysis/when dust has settled, obviously right now there's a lot people being upset simply due to changes. I didn't bother to read reviews per se except taking a glance here and there and most 3 stars and negative ones are either in THEY CHANGED IT NOW IT SUCKS mode or utterly confused what to think about anything at all. The top rated comments are mostly 4-5 ones with one high rated 2 star review.

At worst we need to wait for Final before some sort of consensus starts to emerge on 3.0's worth but I doubt it'll take that long.

Regardless things will become less polarized more time passes and people get used to Anno's recent trolling.

It's like the guy has to troll everyone out of their minds halfway through Eva or it won't be Eva anymore.

I kind of admire that

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Also, I love how again there seem to be things no one saw comming (as I predicted), just like no one expected Rei trying to get the Ikaris back and stuff.

hahahaha, you wish :lol:

If one describes Mari and tweests in 2.0 as "spanner in the works" 3.0 is a giant sledgehammer that smashes the eva machine into thousand little pieces beyond recognition.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Re: i loved it

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:32 pm

View Original Postlaika wrote:I've lurked this forum for years, but I figured now's as good a time as any to actually join.

View Original Postmichaelovan wrote:oh yes, this was my first post. long time voyeur, first time poster. i was so excited after the film that i had to start an account just so i could talk about it.

Welcome guys, glad to have you. :)

shinji_ryoji_89
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby shinji_ryoji_89 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:32 pm

On Yahoo Movies, it does have the 3 star rating but on imdb, it has an 8.1. I guess that sort of weird discrepancy exists all over the world.

So, for those who have seen it, how would you describe the tone of the film?

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:38 pm

View Original Postshinji_ryoji_89 wrote:On Yahoo Movies, it does have the 3 star rating but on imdb, it has an 8.1. I guess that sort of weird discrepancy exists all over the world.

So, for those who have seen it, how would you describe the tone of the film?

3/5 doesn't mean average/mediocre in all rating systems. I've seen quite few Japanese posters use scale that goes something like

1- terrible
2- bad
3 - good
4 - great
5- masterpiece

for example. It's just that I can't tell if yahoo has any "fixed" value like this given to its ratings.

IMDB rating doesn't surprise me as it's positive. I think more time passes increasingly positive reaction becomes (most people haven't even seen it yet + eva fandom seems to spend more time shitstorming in 2ch than actually going to theatre :lol:) as the sheer shock and WHY passes - I can see this with myself already - but I'm not making any divinations.

Point is that 3.0 is for now genuine fandom splitter. 1.0 and 2.0 got universally positive reception, esp. 2.0 (which may be hard to remember while being on EGF :lol:), but 3.0 isn't a pleaser like those two so far.

I'm pretty sure question of tone can be considered spoilerious already, btw

shinji_ryoji_89
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby shinji_ryoji_89 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:41 pm

Not saying that 3.0 means anything like bad or mediocre, but more akin to being a divisive film. I've seen that with many films over the years, they get 3.0 ratings and some people they are great and others think its a total piece of crap. One such film was "28 days later" and now it's almost universally considered a horror modern classic. Funny how that works.

I wonder if EOE got such a reaction back in the day.

As for my question of tone, I guess something like "akin to EOE" or the previous Rebuild films or any other film would suffice. But if that's considered spoilerous, then fine, we don't have to discuss it.

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Electric Sachiel » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:22 pm

View Original Postmichaelovan wrote:before 3.0, there's a short film from hideaki anno and studio ghibli. it's pretty awesome.

Your saying there was a short film from Anno that preceded Eva 3.0? By any chance did it feature this monstrosity?

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:24 pm

That's the one, yeah

Kodaemon
Lilith

Postby Kodaemon » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:27 pm

View Original PostElectric Sachiel wrote:Your saying there was a short film from Anno that preceded Eva 3.0? By any chance did it feature this monstrosity?

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb100/Gojids/DSC05190.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb100/Gojids/DSC05437.jpg

http://twitchfilm.com/2012/07/studio-ghibli-god-warrior-trailer.html
just a signature

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Electric Sachiel » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:27 pm

Awesome. That short film was originally only to be screened at the museum exhibit that happened earlier this summer. Since its showing with Eva 3.0 I'm hoping theres a good chance of it being included as a bonus extra on the 3.0 dvd and blu ray. Awesome!

@Kodaemon: Thanks for posting the link. I was about to do that myself. Been collecting the merchandise associated with that short film for a while now. Pics of the figure are mine.

Pretty close to an Eva eh? :)

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

Postby A.T. Fish » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:49 pm

For a second there I thought it was a naked (as in, without it's restraints) Eva.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:56 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:
If one describes Mari and tweests in 2.0 as "spanner in the works" 3.0 is a giant sledgehammer that smashes the eva machine into thousand little pieces beyond recognition.

Well, Anno did promise a larger role for her in Q, and Mari is someone who
a) has information
b) gladly takes risks.

Many of the whiners/detractors tend to forget just how little Shinji actually knows about the background mechanics of the setting, certainly less than us since we also get to see over Misato's shoulder a lot.
But Mari is both a "chosen one" in a pivotal position (which the more informed, well-intentioned adults like Misato or Kaji weren't - the latter was easily disposed off) and in possesion of lots of the information (Which Shinji wasn't - Asuka migh've had the personality to try and defy the conspirators, but she didn't know shit) She was bound to mix things up.

I cannot wait to see what you're refering to!
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:16 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:I cannot wait to see what you're refering to!

Uhh you read too much into my post, I ment the whole film itself is this huge hammer, not any certain plot point or character. Certainly I wasn't talking about Mari

UBERGEEKZILLA
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby UBERGEEKZILLA » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:19 pm

does anyone know if theres any way to see the film in america right now...sites. anything? anyone here going to post the movie online.....of all the millions of people who will see it theres gonna have to be some one with balls to record the film

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”