Evangelion Art Exhibition Australian Tour coming in 2013

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Evangelion Art Exhibition Australian Tour coming in 2013

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:45 am

Link.

Details:
"Madman Entertainment, in collaboration with NTV Films, Japan Foundation Sydney, The Arts Centre Gold Coast, and the Gold Coast Film Festival, are proud to announce a 2013 event tour that fans of Japanese popular culture and the EVANGELION franchise will not want to miss.

The exclusive exhibition will offer anime/manga, sci-fi and pop culture fans of all ages a unique and extensive insight into how the famed EVANGELION animated films were created – showcasing a collection of original concept and production art, character drawings and other key artefacts that provide a rare and fascinating glimpse at the behind the scenes artistry of Japanese anime film production.

A variety of rare and valuable EVANGELION books, statues, tapestries and other items will also be on display.

The exhibition will be on display at the Gold Coast City Gallery from Wednesday 17 April – Sunday 5 May 2013, followed by Sydney at the Japan Foundation Art Gallery from Friday May 10th -Saturday May 18th, and finally in Melbourne with a location and dates yet to be confirmed."

This looks like it'll actually be pretty good. If I plan it right, might fly down and have the trip coincide to see a couple of bands or something as well. Sydney maybe, though with Tiger it's cheaper to fly to Melbourne from here with the $99 fare.

This also smacks of a possible Q/3.0 subbed screening.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:36 am

That sounds very similar to this exhibit that was in San Francisco earlier this August. The descriptions are nearly blow for blow and I've highlighted exact wording:

@NEW PEOPLE, 3RD FLOOR.

The EVANGELION POP-UP MUSEUM at NEW PEOPLE will offer an extensive collection of original concept and production art, character drawings and other key artifacts from the famed Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone and Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance film series. Anime/Manga and sci-fi fans are invited to enjoy this unique exhibit and catch a rare inside glimpse at how original drawings, computer graphics and animation for these films were created. A variety of rare and valuable Evangelion books, toys and collectables, and other items will also be on display.

This special time-limited exhibit is only on display during the two days of J-POP Summit Festival (Aug 25 and 26) and will be staged inside NEW PEOPLE’s 3rd Floor SUPERFROG Gallery. Co-produced by Nippon Television and NEW PEOPLE.

My review of the event is at the bottom of the other thread. Photography not permitted, understandbly. If it is largely the same or has similar content I would suggest combining your visit with as you mentioned, other things to do in the area and not make it your sole reason for heading down. For anyone who has the Groundworks or an idea as to how anime was and is now made, particularly with the continued use of key animation drawings (genga), you will get something extra out of this exhibit. While the genga that was on display in SF was reproduced in Groundwork it is something else to see the real thing at full size. Hopefully the exhibit will be larger than its SF iteration, which was actually not that big in terms of gallery space.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

classified-zerogoki
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby classified-zerogoki » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:54 pm

This makes me excited even though I don't live in Australia.
"CHAAANGE! EVA TRAIN! SWITCH ON!"
-Asuka, After The End Audio Drama
Evangelion is Serious Business.
Kaworu x Asuka OTP!

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:30 pm

If someone checks it out in Australia and it lives up to the billing that would be great. I had high expectations for the SF iteration and was disappointed.
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:56 pm

AR-99: Makes sense this would be an exhibition that's already done the rounds elsewhere. I was actually going to put in the OP asking if that were the case. Thanks for the heads-up anyway.

I'll put this down as a 'tentative' for the time being. Will become 'definite' if they're screening Q with English subs - Though we do have Reel Anime 2013 as well, and I reckon they will do the honours instead.
Warren Peace, #643919

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:25 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:I'll put this down as a 'tentative' for the time being. Will become 'definite' if they're screening Q with English subs - Though we do have Reel Anime 2013 as well, and I reckon they will do the honours instead.

Reel Anime is once every two years. However, Faz and I asked about Q at the Madman Panel at SMASH! and were told by the panelist that not only is Madman interested in getting a cinema run of it if possible, but that Evangelion is probably big enough for it to run by itself and not as part of a festival.

As for the Art Show - yeahyeahyeah I'd go to that I'd just have to be careful to have all of my assignments and stuff done on time.
Voluntary Illusion.

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:17 pm

PEW PEW PEW

FUCK YEAH

Cannot wait. Also, if yer gunna come up to Sydney to see it EF we should organise something.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Chrad
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chrad » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:21 pm

Interestingly, the post originally stated that 'a release will follow in 2013'. Now it says 'as soon as it can be confirmed'.

Hmm. : /

alexyoshi
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby alexyoshi » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:30 am

you guys are lucky, there will never be an event like that in France/Europe

jimmiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby jimmiel » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:10 am

View Original PostChrad wrote:Interestingly, the post originally stated that 'a release will follow in 2013'. Now it says 'as soon as it can be confirmed'.

Hmm. : /

I thought I remembered wrongly... At Manifest (anime convention) this year, Madman said that 2013 would be a "big year for Eva". Although I don't want to hope, this seems to indicate a possibility of 3.0 in Australian cinemas this year, which would be amazing.

Definitely going to see the exhibit, too.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:56 am

Like I said elsewhere, you guys are lucky. It sucks that the SF event wasn't as exciting as it could have been. Hopefully the Aussie event will be better?

I'd assume 3.0 would at least be screened at some U.S. conventions (fansubbed and all? Fanime 2010 with 2.22 and EGF subtitles comes to mind.) before Funimation would get the rights.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:40 pm

View Original PostFazmotron wrote:Cannot wait. Also, if yer gunna come up to Sydney to see it EF we should organise something.

I am keen as the Sydney Gallery happens to be the week after my first semester classes finish, but I don't find out about assignment due dates or exams until February.
Voluntary Illusion.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:25 am

Oz, prove me wrong!

As a followup to what I've posted about the exhibit in SF, I mentioned that they were selling 36 shirts that you can find on eva-t.jp. Not all of them sold during the J-Pop Festival and Kinokuniya in SF now has 23 that they are trying to sell. 20 of these are the pricey kind ($40-$136) while 3 (used to be 4 but I bought one yesterday ;)) are subtitles of the TV eps and come in at the lower $24. The good thing about this development is that now someone like me who has a Kinokuniya discount card for 10% off can use their credit card. But $136 for an Eva shirt is still way too out there at this point. :gasp:

Here's an example of 3 of them:

This one and the one with Rei above are two of the best IMO. Unfortunately Oriental Brand hasn't come up with an equivalent Asuka version. Eva-01 fighting a giant carp and a dragon were a little too far-fetched.

Also, 3 Rodys for $65. Someone bought the Eva-01 version.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:02 am

FYI; Madman have a section up on their site:
http://www.madman.com.au/eva/
Warren Peace, #643919

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:00 am

I've been wondering about this, and as I suspected, it doesn't line up very well with my university timetable. Best case scenario is that I'll have time to go on either Saturday the 11th or Saturday the 18th but I have assignments due on both of those Fridays so chances are I won't plan to go.

BM If you go to the Gold Coast one I would appreciate if you tell me what's there / how it is so I can make a more informed decision as to whether I should go out of my way to go see it.
Voluntary Illusion.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:18 am

The photos look like the SF exhibit. If someone goes post if they made any changes to layout or content.

Ringworm128
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ringworm128 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:06 am

Good to see Australia is getting something cool that's anime related, but I will only have enough money to get to a Super Smash Bros tournament that's in a couple of months and if I had to pick one of the two.... :sniffle:
Chuckman#695701 wrote:Don't you understand? The best way to shelter children from the mind-warping horror that is a pair of perky teen tits is to blindfold them with guts.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:22 am

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:BM If you go to the Gold Coast one I would appreciate if you tell me what's there / how it is so I can make a more informed decision as to whether I should go out of my way to go see it.

Whoa there; late reply, sorry. Haha.

Nah - Not going. Absolutely no funds.

Would've only gone if there was a possibility of a subbed Q screening anyway, I think. And what with the Japanese DVD/BD release around the corner next month...

:wink:

But locals should be all over this, most definitely.
Warren Peace, #643919

Riotgear
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Riotgear » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:49 pm

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:BM If you go to the Gold Coast one I would appreciate if you tell me what's there / how it is so I can make a more informed decision as to whether I should go out of my way to go see it.

I'm definitely going to attend the Gold Coast one as the Arts Centre is close to where I live. I really want to attend on the very first day, but filling in for my boss at work might nix that - I'll have to wait and see. Anyway, I'll let you know what it's like when I do get to attend.

Rena
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Rena » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:30 pm

Madman says tickets for the exhibition in the Gold Coast can be preordered or bought at the venue. Melbourne has no preorder. No news for Sydney.

They've released a preview of the merchandise available for sale on the website.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”