A remake or a sequel?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Merkaba
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Merkaba » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:45 am

View Original PostPainXIII12 wrote:its :w00: :w00: :w00: :w00: :w00: [/img]

Hey. You. That avatar's taken.

OT: I know that the CRC says that the chalk lines and moon's blood splatter are "a result of Second Impact." But that doesn't quite make sense. How would an Adam be blown away from Antarctica all the way to Japan and land perfectly in a cross position without exploding on impact with the ground or creating a massive crater? And why would there be one streak of blood that shot up from Earth to the moon if four Adams exploded? It seems like NME's 2I could be NGE's 3I...

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:41 am

View Original PostMerkaba wrote:It seems like NME's 2I could be NGE's 3I...

I was about to direct you to the Sequel Theory Thread before I remembered that it was locked a long time ago.

I think the Adams may have been launched into orbit during Second Impact. They were then pulled back down towards the Earth by its gravity. One of them crashed into the Moon and would later become the Mark.06. Another Adam landed in Japan. Many assume that this one was made into Eva-01. The other two landed who knows where.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Merkaba
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Merkaba » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:58 am

But my point is that, even if gravity pulled one of the Adams back to Earth, it wouldn't have landed perfectly in a cross position without exploding on impact or leaving a giant indentation. The harpies, however, slowly descended and landed softly after Shinji rejected Instrumentality.

(Also, I assumed this is where Sequel Theory stuff goes, in part because, like you said, the other thread was locked, and also because of the title of this thread.)

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:20 pm

View Original PostMerkaba wrote:But my point is that, even if gravity pulled one of the Adams back to Earth, it wouldn't have landed perfectly in a cross position without exploding on impact or leaving a giant indentation.

The image is in crappy quality, but it's enough for my purpose.
SPOILER: Show

I assume that the physical bodies of the Adams are very durable. If one of them survived an impact with the moon, why couldn't another Adam survive an impact with the Earth?

In response to your remark about the lack of an indentation, the image clearly shows that whatever hit the ground there pushed up a huge mound of Earth. The body probably hit the Earth a good distance away and slid to its final resting place. If you need a scale for the size of that hill, just assume that the outline is the approximate size of an Evangelion, or just note the destroyed buildings littering the scene.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Merkaba
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Merkaba » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:25 pm

I forgot about all the blood that was splattered around it. I'll give you that.

Something else came to mind when you were talking about an Adam on the moon, though. Didn't Adam, at least in NGE, arrive in the white moon? Wouldn't it make sense, then, if Lilith and the black moon smashed into Earth, that when the white moon launched into space, Adam (or an Adam) was still inside, and that's what Mark 06 is being constructed from, not one that was hurled into space?

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:37 pm

View Original PostMerkaba wrote:It seems like NME's 2I could be NGE's 3I...

Could you please finally stop with this? We have seen NMEs 2nd Impact - it is not NGEs 3rd Impact and this does not make any sense... :|

Merkaba
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Merkaba » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:43 pm

Why does it bother you so much?
Also, we're only half-way through NME. By episode 13 of NGE, would you have thought it made sense that:

Rei was a clone.
Gendo had banged both Akagis.
A possibly-homosexual Angel in the form of man would seduce Shini and then force him to crush him.
Rei would turn Giant and Naked and merge all consciousnesses into one.
Asuka would be gang-banged (metaphorically) by mass produced Evas.
etc.

No. Had someone suggested this by episode 13, everyone on here would say the same thing that they are now about Sequel Theory.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:53 pm

View Original PostMerkaba wrote:Hey. You. That avatar's taken.

OT: I know that the CRC says that the chalk lines and moon's blood splatter are "a result of Second Impact." But that doesn't quite make sense. How would an Adam be blown away from Antarctica all the way to Japan and land perfectly in a cross position without exploding on impact with the ground or creating a massive crater? And why would there be one streak of blood that shot up from Earth to the moon if four Adams exploded? It seems like NME's 2I could be NGE's 3I...

And how would everyone forget about 3I and rename it and replay the same sequence of events (up to Ramiel at least) over again? And how is Shinji still fourteen if 3I happened fifteen years ago? How did Gendo come back to life when he was quite literally bitten in half and not tanged like everyone else? How did Unit 01 come back to Earth after leaving so long ago? How was Unit 02 restored when it was chewn to pieces, or Unit 00 when it was blown to chunky kibble? How did an MPE make the chalk outline when they were all petrified by GNR?

"Doesn't make sense" indeed. And no, we wouldn't be saying that about those events in NGE because by ep. 13 we didn't have evidence specifically contradicting them. We do have evidence contradicting a sequel, ranging from the CRC to statements directly from the creators. The fact that we're only halfway through the movies doesn't change any of that.

Regarding the moons, go here. Earth's satellite is Lilith's moon, not Adam's (hence Rei's association with the moon).
Last edited by Bagheera on Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Merkaba
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Merkaba » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:55 pm

I have faith that Anno can make it work. That was my point about everything else that people didn't expect. :)

EDIT: "C. Confidential Information -
... Lilith is in the Black Moon, and Adam is in the White."

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:58 pm

View Original PostMerkaba wrote:I have faith that Anno can make it work. That was my point about everything else that people didn't expect. :)

Why would he? Remember, the project is about his goals, not yours. He doesn't seem to be interested in making a sequel to NGE, but rather a standalone project that tells its own story. Whether or not he could do what you want him to do doesn't really have any bearing on his willingness to do it. ^_^

View Original PostMerkaba wrote:EDIT: "C. Confidential Information -
... Lilith is in the Black Moon, and Adam is in the White."

Go to D.
Last edited by Bagheera on Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:58 pm

View Original PostMerkaba wrote:Why does it bother you so much?
Also, we're only half-way through NME. By episode 13 of NGE, would you have thought it made sense that:

[...]

No. Had someone suggested this by episode 13, everyone on here would say the same thing that they are now about Sequel Theory.

What are you talking about? We know facts, we have witnessed it... thats totally different from the other stuff your mumbling.

Merkaba
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Merkaba » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:02 pm

Bagheera: Anno's goals also may not satiate what you want, which seems to be a standalone story. Like my point above, we're only halfway through. (And no need to reference the unsourced quote from that TV station.)

qu4d: My point is that you never would have guessed that those things were going to happen, and had someone predicted those things halfway through the series, like some have predicted Sequel Theory halfway through NME, you would have called them crazy.

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:07 pm

No I would have not - thats speculation. NME 2nd Impact ist not NGEs 3rd Impact - thats no speculation.

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:18 pm

I agree with qu4d ^^

The 2I in NME is not the 3I from NGE. We have seen little flashbacks to prove that.

But if we were to follow the whole "NME might be a sequel to NGE", then the idea is that after 3I occurred in EoE the whole "world" was reset. The people did not come back to life, they are new versions of the same persons and hence do not have the same memory (except Kaworu who might have an idea that this is an "alternate universe" from the sea of possibilities that could have occurred). But the scars left on the earth could not heal, if mankind can spontaneously emerge from the sea of LCL or something, the damage (red sea, blood stain on moon) on the Earth cannot be undone. SO in the end the same event would occur as in the past but on the same planet that retained the damage done to it in the past.

But if NME is a completely stand alone work, than I can gurantee you 100% that 2I is not 3I form EoE

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:22 pm

View Original PostStan wrote:But if we were to follow the whole "NME might be a sequel to NGE", then the idea is that after 3I occurred in EoE the whole "world" was reset. The people did not come back to life, they are new versions of the same persons and hence do not have the same memory (except Kaworu who might have an idea that this is an "alternate universe" from the sea of possibilities that could have occurred). But the scars left on the earth could not heal, if mankind can spontaneously emerge from the sea of LCL or something, the damage (red sea, blood stain on moon) on the Earth cannot be undone. SO in the end the same event would occur as in the past but on the same planet that retained the damage done to it in the past.

Why would the people and events reset while the Earth did not?

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Na7e » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:43 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Why would the people and events reset while the Earth did not?

SPACE MAGIC :tongue:

cd603
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby cd603 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:43 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Why would the people and events reset while the Earth did not?

Wouldn't it be a result of everyone turning back into LCL? The earth wouldn't need to be affected by this, only the people. And if LCL is suppose to be the primordial soup of all life, then would everything not reset by going back to this original state?

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:49 am

View Original Postcd603 wrote:Wouldn't it be a result of everyone turning back into LCL? The earth wouldn't need to be affected by this, only the people. And if LCL is suppose to be the primordial soup of all life, then would everything not reset by going back to this original state?

No. Turning everyone into LCL would end (or at least severely interrupt) human civilization, but it wouldn't cause historical events to repeat themselves.

cd603
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby cd603 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:01 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:No. Turning everyone into LCL would end (or at least severely interrupt) human civilization, but it wouldn't cause historical events to repeat themselves.

See but that's where the real debate lies, are these events part of a reoccurring cycle or are they separate and completely unbound by the last cycle. Personally, I'd like to believe that the latter is what is presented in Rebuild, but at this point, it has been left to be seen. Plus not everything is as it was in the TV series, so while history appears to repeat itself, there are variations. (some of which may have been cause by the effects left from EoE)

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:07 am

View Original Postcd603 wrote:Wouldn't it be a result of everyone turning back into LCL? The earth wouldn't need to be affected by this, only the people. And if LCL is suppose to be the primordial soup of all life, then would everything not reset by going back to this original state?

There'd be records and evidence lying around of what happened for the past 15 years. Furthermore, we saw Shinji come back in his regular 14-year-old body; he'd have to be 29 in NME for it to be a sequel. He'd also know Asuka because they interacted at the end of EoE.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”