Captain Langley

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:10 pm

View Original PostFlyvapnet wrote:Kendrix, I wish you'd go troll somewhere else. Thank you.

Umm, I wouldn't really call Kendrix a troll, even if she writes disagreeable material. She's by far among the more sincere and straightforward posters around IMO

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:10 pm

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but is it even possible for a 14 year old to become a Captain in the real world?
That it's possible for a 14 year old to pilot a giant robot to save the world is a bigger stretch than just lying about ones age when joining up.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:20 pm

View Original PostFlyvapnet wrote:Kendrix, I wish you'd go troll somewhere else. Thank you.

How the hell was that trolling?!
As far as I know, I simply gave my two cents on the topic, making several points backed with evidence and not insulting anyone.
I don't need to suffer such random stock accusations from the guy with unneeded fancy formatting, thank you.
Last edited by Kendrix on Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:24 pm

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but is it even possible for a 14 year old to become a Captain in the real world?

Wouldn't wonder me if there were some in Uganda or Burma.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:28 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:Wouldn't wonder me if there were some in Uganda or Burma.

And the fact the the world blew up recently and is sheduled to be depopulated for good would even drive people in Europe to similar levels of dispair/ lack of alternatives or consideration for the kid in question.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby driftking18594 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:34 pm

View Original Postbobbyfischer's ghost wrote:We haven't see too much of Asuka's ability but hopefully this will change in 3.0.

Based on Clockiel, I would beg to differ, and even considering Sahaquiel as well I would still rate her highly.

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:37 pm

@driftking18594
I was thinking more in terms of strategy and planing.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:42 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:That it's possible for a 14 year old to pilot a giant robot to save the world is a bigger stretch than just lying about ones age when joining up.

Indeed, but it's all about using the suspension of disbelief, just because I'm willing to accept the mecha and all of the impossible things of Evangelion it doesn't mean that I am also willing to throw logic out the window for good.

Kendrix wrote:And the fact the the world blew up recently and is sheduled to be depopulated for good would even drive people in Europe to similar levels of dispair/ lack of alternatives or consideration for the kid in question.

This. To my understanding the best explanation is that since she is one of the rare people capable of piloting an EVA she received the training and got the title. It's kinda like a driver's license.

Nonoriri
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Nonoriri » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:41 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Hm, while Nerv styles themselves military-ish, one should never forget that they're still mostly academics or the offspring thereoff.
The only one who acts remotely like a soldier (maybe) is Misato, who's in the operations division and seems to do all of the stragety-related stuff, while everyone else is all science and computers and white coats.
They probably don't work anything like, say, the US navy.

Also, at least a military rank makes more sense than finishing college with 14 (if that statement was to be taken seriously - there's nothing to indicate that she wasn't just plain bullshitting Shinji, as she was complaining to Misato about the school system in the same episode and didn't ask what she's doing in school in the first place) since Asuka's job does remotely involve weapons and fighting, so let's not complain too much...

They did make Misato a colonel instead of a captain so Asuka wouldn't outrank her, but I suspect that it really IS just a honorary rank.
Look at all the stuff she owns, it fills the appartment for the better part of the movie, it's obvious that our dear miss Shikinami has been spoiled rotten back home.
It probably went somewhat like this:

Asuka: Man, I'm so tired of these stupid experiments! I'm the defender of earth, not a guinea pig *throws star tantrum*
Random German Nerv guy: We give you a shiny button that says "Captain" on it if you cooperate!

Or maybe she was given a rank on the paper for some bureaucratic reason or another.

Also, what does a Captain of the European Airforce have to say to any NERV personell?

Arguments made in bad faith.

Der Kommissar
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Der Kommissar » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:30 pm

Asuka is, after all, a 14-year-old girl, and not a very socially adept one. She doesn't behave or act like an officer, so it's not surprising adults don't take her at all seriously (meanwhile Shinji's a civvie and lives with her, and Rei gives no fucks by definition).

I'm guessing Asuka's rank is, when you get down to it, just a bureaucratic thing, something that makes it easier for the German government to ignore the fact that they've given a virtually indestructible poorly-understood war engine to a teenaged girl with people issues. I expect Mari probably has a military rank, too.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:42 pm

View Original PostNonoriri wrote:Arguments made in bad faith.

Replying to a fairly long and elaborated post with just 5 words is almost as weird as evidencing words with the 800000 colour. Personally I'm especially inclined to agree with Kendrix about the bureaucratic reason for her military rank and the fact that a captain of a foreign airforce doesn't necessarily have the right to order around people, mostly civilian, of another country, her rank could mean nothing inside Nerv's chain of command.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

StratoSakuya...AF
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby StratoSakuya...AF » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:32 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:And the fact the the world blew up recently and is sheduled to be depopulated for good would even drive people in Europe to similar levels of dispair/ lack of alternatives or consideration for the kid in question.

Hopefully Rebuild will relocate everything to Mid-Childa.
SO THERE I WAS BEING KUBO, WHEN THE EDITORS CAME IN AND WERE LIKE "YOU NEED TO DO MORE THAN PANELS OF WHITE PILLARS AND BLACKGROUNDS!" AND I WAS LIKE "FUCK YOU, I'M KUBO!" SO THEY WERE LIKE "WELL HOW ABOUT SOMEBODY DYING?" AND I WAS LIKE "FUCK YOU, I'M KUBO!" AND I MADE LOTS AND LOTS OF MONEY. I LOVE MY LIFE.

Jornophelanthas
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Jornophelanthas » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:07 am

Not to my knowledge.

However, if there is a weapon of mass destruction that needs to be deployed against an an almighty enemy, and the only person who can operate it is fourteen years old (who has been trained for this by the military from birth), then it is very easy to imagine military organizations to hand out ranks to such people.
At the very least, it creates the suggestion that they are in control of the situation, and expresses faith in the effectiveness of both the weapon and the pilot.

Also, if you are a military organization that makes a fourteen-year-old an officer because of her piloting ability (and definitely NOT for her emotional maturity), then you had better make sure that your fourteen-year-old officer does not start yelling immature orders at people. Meaning, the EU Airforce possibly gave Asuka a captain's commission (which entails a clearance to pilot large aircraft like Unit-02 for them), with the explicit limitation that she is not cleared to issue orders to anyone.

I do not see Kendrix' post as anything approaching trolling. What I see is speculation concerning Asuka's background in the Rebuild movies.
The mere fact that she does not feel obliged to follow all your assumptions does not constitute trolling. After all, identifying and questioning hidden assumptions is an important part of testing theories about anything.
Even if her own assumptions may be questionable or unfounded, they still serve as counterexamples to your assumptions.

Regarding the college degree mentioned by Kendrix, I would like to add that it is not unthinkable that Asuka did, in fact, attend college classes (or private college-equivalent tutoring), most likely ones about aerodynamics, rocket propulsion systems and other physics stuff that a pilot needs to know. It may even have a genuine college degree attached to it.
But Asuka is still in school with Shinji and the others, because her GENERAL education (e.g. history of Second Impact, Japanese language skill) are still at a level more typical for her age. Possibly even lower, because an accelerated military and college training regimen allows little time for (even basic) tuition in the humanities.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:43 am

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Replying to a fairly long and elaborated post with just 5 words is almost as weird as evidencing words with the 800000 colour. Personally I'm especially inclined to agree with Kendrix about the bureaucratic reason for her military rank and the fact that a captain of a foreign airforce doesn't necessarily have the right to order around people, mostly civilian, of another country, her rank could mean nothing inside Nerv's chain of command.

Yeah, I'm not sure why people are jumping on Kendrix, it's a perfectly legitimate theory. Heck, in NGE, Misato's promotion within Nerv's own chain of command doesn't seem involve any new responsibilities or changes to her duties whatsoever... so maybe this stuff exists on paper more than anything else.

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:55 am

View Original PostJornophelanthas wrote:But Asuka is still in school with Shinji and the others, because her GENERAL education (e.g. history of Second Impact, Japanese language skill) are still at a level more typical for her age. Possibly even lower, because an accelerated military and college training regimen allows little time for (even basic) tuition in the humanities.

Aside from that, she still needs to socialize with kids her own age. She still seems to be lacking with her social skills like in the TV series.
Also what Kendrix wrote was not trolling.

Jornophelanthas
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Jornophelanthas » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:48 am

View Original Postbobbyfischer's ghost wrote:Aside from that, she still needs to socialize with kids her own age. She still seems to be lacking with her social skills like in the TV series.

Which may exactly be the reason why Asuka was placed in Shinji's school. Most likely by Misato, whose behaviour towards Asuka appears to be very much in line with your reasoning.

Regarding Asuka's training, it could very well be that she has had very little exposure to peers during her life. It is far more likely that she either received private tutoring/training, or attended military training and college classes aimed at (young) adults. No children or teenagers for miles.

(Except perhaps Mari?)

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:46 am

The thought of Mari and Asuka having prior knowledge of each other would be interesting but it seems unlikely seeing as Asuka was probably trained in Germany and Mari in England/Russia.Having an isolated education would explain a bit of Asuka's reluctance to socialize with others. But I hope the expand on Asuka's relationship with the doll.

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby driftking18594 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:43 pm

View Original Postbobbyfischer's ghost wrote:The thought of Mari and Asuka having prior knowledge of each other would be interesting but it seems unlikely seeing as Asuka was probably trained in Germany and Mari in England/Russia.Having an isolated education would explain a bit of Asuka's reluctance to socialize with others. But I hope the expand on Asuka's relationship with the doll.

Probably the only chance they could have had at meeting would have been if they were taking the Eva Pilots' exam at the same place when they were c.4 years old.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:36 pm

View Original Postbobbyfischer's ghost wrote:seeing as Asuka was probably trained in Germany and Mari in England/Russia.

Well, I think that we shouldn't exclude a unified training facility, we even used to have one for the Tornado IRL.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Fuuforufu
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Fuuforufu » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:34 pm

Hi!
I just wanna to share this deleted scene from 2.22(it was included as extra material on the blue-ray)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8q0GJxOVNBk

The scene make us clearly that :

>Asuka was trained in Germany
>She was trained for 10 years ( pilot combat )
>Captain rank isn´t just an honorary title...she is truly a captain
>She is the Euro Air Force ace

p.s. sorry for the bad redaction, im a non-english speaker
So f*cking hilarius and sexy

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”