Eva Unit 01 wings in opening credits

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
tootiredtoriot
Embryo

Eva Unit 01 wings in opening credits

•      
  •      

Postby tootiredtoriot » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:46 pm

Long time listener first time caller.

Am I the only one who thinks that the scene of Unit 1 sprouting wings / cracks in the opening credits looks badass?
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qXoIEDYCF-A#t=64s[/url]

I know that we see a different type of wings of light during instrumentality, but does anyone know if there is any further information on the wings here, which almost look like cracks, in this scene, whether it is taken from / taken further in any of the other media, or whether it was just a scene purely done to make for a snappy opening credits?
well that's good for you then

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:26 pm

From what I've heard, the wings we see in the opening were something of a "concept" for what we later saw in End of Evangelion. Their conspicuous absence from the series has been duly noted in this forum.

Also, welcome to EGF, tootiredtoriot! I hope you enjoy your stay!
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

Re: Eva Unit 01 wings in opening credits

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:29 pm

View Original Posttootiredtoriot wrote:Long time listener first time caller.

Am I the only one who thinks that the scene of Unit 1 sprouting wings / cracks in the opening credits looks badass?
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qXoIEDYCF-A#t=64s[/url]
SPOILER: Show

I know that we see a different type of wings of light during instrumentality, but does anyone know if there is any further information on the wings here, which almost look like cracks, in this scene, whether it is taken from / taken further in any of the other media, or whether it was just a scene purely done to make for a snappy opening credits?

I concur the wings are bad ass, and like riffraff said concepts of what appeared in EoE, but I have a suspicion they were originally set to appear in the tv series.
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Lurkis
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Lurkis » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:50 pm

View Original PostKnightmareX13 wrote:I concur the wings are bad ass, and like riffraff said concepts of what appeared in EoE, but I have a suspicion they were originally set to appear in the tv series.

Don't think Anno ever had plans for EoE when the series started so yea that would make sense. Would have been neat to see how they would have been used in the show. Didn't Anno state in an interview somewhere that the show was written episode by episode a lot of the time? Thought I read that here >,< just can't recall.

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:36 am

View Original PostLurkis wrote:Don't think Anno ever had plans for EoE when the series started so yea that would make sense. Would have been neat to see how they would have been used in the show. Didn't Anno state in an interview somewhere that the show was written episode by episode a lot of the time? Thought I read that here >,< just can't recall.
wouldn't doubt it. but I think EoE was along the lines of the unused ending that was scrapped because of the budget
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:01 am

View Original PostKnightmareX13 wrote:wouldn't doubt it. but I think EoE was along the lines of the unused ending that was scrapped because of the budget

Knightmare's got the right idea. End of Evangelion is closer to Anno's original vision than the TV ending was.
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

tootiredtoriot
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby tootiredtoriot » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:15 am

Cheers punks, sorry if this was in a thread somewhere, much trawling found nothing.

So shall we chalk this one up to "intended to be in there but for budget constraints, by the time it was finally done in EoE the vision was slightly adjusted"?

I'll also bet that if it made it to the point of hitting the credits, this scene was fleshed out a bit further somewhere in preproduction, if not making it into the televised series or movies thus far in the original form.
well that's good for you then

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:06 am

The original "story that made sense" would have been the series proposal, which would have been much more straight super-robot.

As for the ending, amongst the various bonus features released in Japan was some 3:4 format telematics that included the scene of Misato rescuing Shinji; as well as the bits that appear as the next episode preview of episode 24' in ADV's release.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:02 am

View Original Posttootiredtoriot wrote:Cheers punks, sorry if this was in a thread somewhere, much trawling found nothing.

Points for trying, though. Many forum newbs tend to create new threads without even trying to search for pertinent old ones.
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

Rj123541
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Rj123541 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:43 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:Points for trying, though. Many forum newbs tend to create new threads without even trying to search for pertinent old ones.
Yes... And EGF wreaks of it.
logic.
ロジック
Avatar: "Irelia", my top lane masterpiece.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:14 am

The wings in the OP look a lot like Adam's, minus the outlining.

さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

transcendent12
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby transcendent12 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:09 pm

I remember in the english commentary of EoE they were talking about angels originally having multiple sets of wings(outside of eva) and that the usual one pair of wings is some sort of simplification which occurred at some point in time. So they were given many wings.
Don't take my word for it though. Haven't even wiki'd it.

JoeD80
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby JoeD80 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:16 pm

View Original PostLurkis wrote:Don't think Anno ever had plans for EoE when the series started so yea that would make sense. Would have been neat to see how they would have been used in the show. Didn't Anno state in an interview somewhere that the show was written episode by episode a lot of the time? Thought I read that here >,< just can't recall.

Anno said some stuff about not knowing where the characters were headed, and Tsurumaki (maybe it was Masayuki?) stated that they would always wait until the previous episode was complete before going on to write the script for the next episode.

View Original PostKnightmareX13 wrote:wouldn't doubt it. but I think EoE was along the lines of the unused ending that was scrapped because of the budget

Episode 25' was the episode that was supposed to be in the TV series. Episode 26' was something Anno came up with specifically for the movie.

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:which would have been much more straight super-robot.

Not the impression I get from the proposal.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”