Evangelion 3.0 OST, out!

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:13 pm

^Now that what I'm talking about.
I couldn't make much of it out though.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby chaosakita » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:27 pm

View Original PostJayfive wrote:I cannot see all 4 films going by without some reference, however brief, to the biggest earning anime song of all time. I can just see Anno dropping the 'Good, or Don't Be ' version at the most awe-inspiring moment possible and stands back as Japan losing its collective shit.

How the hell is Zankoku the "biggest-earning" anime song of all time? There is no way you are qualifying that right.

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Beautiful World was released together with her version of Fly me to the Moon which was fairly good, Kiss&Cry is kinda meh though. Afaik the Planitb Acoustica Mix was released together with a whole bunch of "unwanted" songs instead.

That's her best collection. How are those her "unwanted songs?" They're her freaking singles. And it was released digitally originally.

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:2.0's "Beautiful World" achieved the impossible - an anime remix that isn't totally awful, and may even surpass the original. It would be tempting fate to remix it again. Whatever the ending theme is, it won't be on this soundtrack. It'll be on a seperate CD along with three other songs we don't want.

It's a PlantB remix. They do these things professionally. And Hikki is a professional singer.

I think the lack of awareness of Japanese music is startling. It's like Japanese music and culture doesn't exist out of anime. And I'm not Hikki's fan, but I hate to see everyone disparaging her. She is one of the most successful Japanese artists of all time, and she has actual talent unlike a lot of artists. (*cough* Seiko *cough*) In fact, I will bet that no other Japanese album will sell as well as First Love did. She deserves some respect. No offense to Takahashi (do people even know her name), but Hikki definitely has a bigger place in Japan.
Last edited by chaosakita on Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: Shinji and Kaworu get ice cream

TheTuna
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby TheTuna » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:33 pm

I'm of the opinion that they are holding back "Cruel Angel's Thesis" for dramatic effect. I think they're going to let rip with it right at the climatic moment of the Rebuild franchise, most likely in the 4th movie.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:51 pm

chaosakita: Thanks for clarifying to folks. I'm somewhat of a Hikki fan so it was discouraging to see people just disregarding her abilities like that. For people who aren't aware, she was born in NYC but has lived in Tokyo on and off. She knows her stuff about both cultures (and released a few English CDs as "Utada" but sadly, wasn't a huge success).
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

jimmiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby jimmiel » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:06 pm

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:2.0's "Beautiful World" achieved the impossible - an anime remix that isn't totally awful, and may even surpass the original.

I'm not sure what's so impossible about an acoustic version of a standard-sounding pop song being superior. It sounds nothing short of logical to me. Now, if it had been a techno remix, then you'd have had license to flip out.
And, as chaosakita says, nothing less from PlantB and Hikki.

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby chaosakita » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:36 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:chaosakita: Thanks for clarifying to folks. I'm somewhat of a Hikki fan so it was discouraging to see people just disregarding her abilities like that. For people who aren't aware, she was born in NYC but has lived in Tokyo on and off. She knows her stuff about both cultures (and released a few English CDs as "Utada" but sadly, wasn't a huge success).

She is also an Evangelion fan and writes her own lyrics, so I think her song is as meaningful as it can be.

And I am still confused by the apparent notion about how all pop music in Japan is "anime music" or how there are no good remixers in Japan and that it is lacking in musical culture besides making things for anime. Ever heard of Daishi Dance?

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:20 pm

View Original Postjimmiel wrote:I'm not sure what's so impossible about an acoustic version of a standard-sounding pop song being superior. It sounds nothing short of logical to me. Now, if it had been a techno remix, then you'd have had license to flip out.

Yeah, that was a pretty wild-eyed statement huh? I apologize for going so utterly crazy.

"Impossible" so far as no other shows seem to be able to make a remix that isn't awful. People who are slamming Utada need to hear a few more anime theme songs... it can be so, so much more worse.

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby chaosakita » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:37 pm

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:"Impossible" so far as no other shows seem to be able to make a remix that isn't awful. People who are slamming Utada need to hear a few more anime theme songs... it can be so, so much more worse.

But what is "anime" music? Most animes just use Sony artists nowadays.

I think this is an acceptable remix, and I'm just going off the top of my head. Or what about this?

If you expand the category, I can find some Sony songs with good remixes. But that's what Hikki's song basically is.

jimmiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby jimmiel » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:38 pm

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:Yeah, that was a pretty wild-eyed statement huh? I apologize for going so utterly crazy.

"Impossible" so far as no other shows seem to be able to make a remix that isn't awful. People who are slamming Utada need to hear a few more anime theme songs... it can be so, so much more worse.

Ah, so it's a case of "never happens" rather than "is inconceivable". Got it. Also, not to start an off-topic discussion, but Masaaki Endoh does some excellent covers.

I reckon a piano version of Beautiful World for 3.0, and then a post-black metal version for Final.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:38 am

Yes, "achieved the impossible" was a rhetorical flight of fancy, not a description of something which could never physically come into being. If that needed to cleared that up.

I've got you all beat: "Beautiful World"... with Yoko Takahashi! She's still recording "Cruel Angel's Thesis" as late as 2009. I'd say she's gettable.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:48 am

View Original Postchaosakita wrote:How the hell is Zankoku the "biggest-earning" anime song of all time? There is no way you are qualifying that right.

It has made the most money. Through artists covering it, karaoke, through use in the likes of pachinko games, compilation appearances etc etc etc

This is not something I pulled out my backside.
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:25 am

View Original Postchaosakita wrote:That's her best collection. How are those her "unwanted songs?" They're her freaking singles. And it was released digitally originally.

I put it between quotes for a reason, they're unwanted for some.
View Original Postchaosakita wrote:I think the lack of awareness of Japanese music is startling. It's like Japanese music and culture doesn't exist out of anime.

There's no written or unwritten rule that forces us to follow Japanese music outside of anime, I didn't want to criticise her though, I'm simply not interested enough in her songs. Actually I don't know why you're overreacting like this, in this forum there's also a major lack of awareness about tokusatsu which is very relevant to Evangelion, but no one is making a fuss about it.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby chaosakita » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:38 am

View Original PostJayfive wrote:It has made the most money. Through artists covering it, karaoke, through use in the likes of pachinko games, compilation appearances etc etc etc

This is not something I pulled out my backside.

I'd like to see a number, but I really doubt it.

Out of pure album sales, I would guess the top winner would be Dearest or some other mid-2000s Avex song.

The only noticeable people who've seemed to cover the song are Masami Okui and Shoko Nakagawa (lol). I'd love to see if you know of anyone else.

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:There's no written or unwritten rule that forces us to follow Japanese music outside of anime, I didn't want to criticise her though, I'm simply not interested enough in her songs. Actually I don't know why you're overreacting like this, in this forum there's also a major lack of awareness about tokusatsu which is very relevant to Evangelion, but no one is making a fuss about it.

I never said everyone had to know about Japanese music as me. But I feel like people are writing off a large part of a people's culture here. Pop music, for better or worse, plays a big part in people's lives, and somehow anime fans in general think that it doesn't exist out of anime OP/EDs. It's really bizarre to me, and I am just trying to correct some info here and being defensive. I can't draw any parallels because as far as I know anime fans are the only ones drawn to an arbitrary genre because of its association with a visual medium and don't have any care for the actual music behind it.

If I'm ever wrong about tokusatsu, I'd actually love to be corrected. But I'm never going to deny tokusatsu has a big part in Japanese culture.

transcendent12
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby transcendent12 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:15 pm

well..ended up pre-ordering for the first press.. such a sucker for these things :(

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:22 pm

Classic car fetishism is technically a part of Evangelion via Misato's character. Most of us have no interest in/knowledge of that because it's not a crucial part of the story. Likewise, Japanese pop music is not an integral piece of Evangelion. It's something to be taken or left as your interests dictate, separate from the franchise itself. Nothing bizarre about that.

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby chaosakita » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:29 pm

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:Classic car fetishism is technically a part of Evangelion via Misato's character. Most of us have no interest in/knowledge of that because it's not a crucial part of the story. Likewise, Japanese pop music is not an integral piece of Evangelion. It's something to be taken or left as your interests dictate, separate from the franchise itself. Nothing bizarre about that.

Again I never said that people needed to know anything about Japanese pop music. I just said that people should realize that it exists outside of "anime music" and that reducing a culture's pop music to anime music is asinine. And since we are having a discussion about the theme song of Evangelion, which is pop music, I don't think it's totally off topic.

And like I said, I don't mind being corrected. If I ever say anything wrong about cars, you can tell me.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:08 am

View Original Postchaosakita wrote:I just said that people should realize that it exists outside of "anime music" and that reducing a culture's pop music to anime music is asinine.

Being aware and caring about it aren't the same thing, I doubt that anyone here think that Japanese pop musics exists only for the sake of anime songs.
View Original Postchaosakita wrote:And like I said, I don't mind being corrected. If I ever say anything wrong about cars, you can tell me.

But no one here was saying anything of fundamentally "wrong", we just said that we don't care enough about her other songs, it's still a mere subjective opinion, even if it comes from someone who's not expert about Japanese pop music.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:20 pm

View Original Postchaosakita wrote:AI just said that people should realize that it exists outside of "anime music" and that reducing a culture's pop music to anime music is asinine.

This is so weird. I suppose you're referring to me there. Being that we're discussing a group of songs that become anime music when they're inserted into anime works, this discussion revolves around that subset of Japanese music. We're talking strictly about music as it is used in anime while being aware that, yes, Japanese music exists outside of it. Nobody ever implied otherwise. This is a thread about an anime soundtrack so you'll have to forgive us for talking in terms of anime soundtracks.

I miss this thread's carefree French days. Ainsi va la vie...

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:22 pm

View Original Postchaosakita wrote:Again I never said that people needed to know anything about Japanese pop music. I just said that people should realize that it exists outside of "anime music" and that reducing a culture's pop music to anime music is asinine. And since we are having a discussion about the theme song of Evangelion, which is pop music, I don't think it's totally off topic.

And like I said, I don't mind being corrected. If I ever say anything wrong about cars, you can tell me.

Obviously Utada is a big star in Japan - but that has nothing to do with whether or not Beautiful World is more or less well known than Zankoku. The answer to that is pretty clear. It's by no means Utada's signature song or anything in any case

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:10 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VN5OMjM1l8
Best way to sneak Cruel Angel into Rebuild without the cheese.
Sounds like the perfect ending music.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”