What's the focus of your Eva collection?

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

What's the focus of your Eva collection?

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:58 pm

Unless you are a generalist and go after pretty much anything Eva-related.

After more than a decade of collecting I have decided to primarily focus on the shitajiki and the UCC cans, which I like the most out of all the swag. It doesn’t preclude me from other things of course (loaded up on posters at FanimeCon back in May), but they are definitely much easier to store.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:06 pm

I just collect the Japanese and American home video releases. If I ever get some free cash, I'm planning on getting the three Second Impact Box partial sets and the 2003 Renewal "monolith" set to "complete" my collection. Still, it isn't too shabby as it is:

VHS/DVD/BD:

Laserdiscs:

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:41 pm

It's hard to tell in the photo - is the theatrical box set still sealed or you've opened it?
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:47 pm

View Original PostAR-99 wrote:It's hard to tell in the photo - is the theatrical box set still sealed or you've opened it?

If you're referring to the the LD theatrical box set, it's opened. I acquired it used on eBay a couple years ago for ~$50 including shipping, which in itself is a considerable cost for a boxset that weights 11 pounds (5 kg).

In fact, all the Japanese releases that I own (except for the Evangelion 0:0' - The Light From The Darkness VHS tape) were bought used; either via Rakuten, Yahoo! Japan Auctions, or at a steep discount from domestic eBay sellers who didn't know the value of what they had.

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

•      
  •      

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:53 pm

I just buy Eva stuff that looks cool, but I always read impressions and such to make sure I don't overpay or that I don't buy a thing that looks cool, but is actually a piece of shit.
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

Sarge133
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Sarge133 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:18 pm

I'd say EVA-02 is the focus of my collection, or Rei. Have about the same number off each

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:43 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:08 am

Books and video discs, for the most part. I don't have much space, and those store pretty well.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:42 am

My collection consists only of random little things people living in Japan have sent me.

I'd have to choose a 'focus' I'd say the tiny little Gendo at his desk (Eva@school version) sitting next to my monitor and endlessly starting at me takes the award.

This one:
SPOILER: Show
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:35 am

The focus of my collection has generally been physical and digital media. I have a lot of manga/books, video releases, and a humongous collection of digital media. I've also collected quite a few figures.

Here's what it looks like:

http://forum.evageeks.org/post/461647/Official-Post-your-Evangelion-collection-thread/#461647

Misato's toyboy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Misato's toyboy » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:49 pm

Misato. Covers, figures, posters/wall scrolls, plushies (inc Pen^2 & Kaji), statues.

Next is my ADV subtitled VHS. This is because it is the only English language release where the original Japanese endings are left as were, & followed by the seiyuu credits in English after.

Then my EoE Japanese anamorphic DTS DVD.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:15 pm

These days just owning physical copies of the series (NGE, NME) and a few random odds and ends. Had to get rid of lots of my collection due to space issues/lack of interest but I still love the series itself. :)

If you check out the collection thread you'll see it used to be fucking huge. I'm gonna have to donate a lot of the things leftover (books, random merchandise) that I wasn't able to sell since I don't have a place to store those.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

deeRez
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby deeRez » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:26 pm

* Sadamoto art books - including pre-Eva ones.
(Going to have to start collecting Takeshi Honda's books (once he releases them, if he does) since his Eva art is looking sweeeettttt in the Rebuild movies)

* Japanese Sadamoto Eva Manga

* Rebuild Movie DVDs
* Television Series DVDs with Directors Cut Episodes

* Real Action Heroes

* Cell phone

The DVDs I plan to replace with Blurays, though U.S. vs Japanese Blurays I am still contemplating. I do not like Funimation's voice acting.
Furthermore I do not care about the Funimation voice actors' interpretations of what's going on - they're grasping for straws as much as anyone else is.

It's the Japanese voice actors that get the inside bits - they matter.

The only plus for the Funimation Blurays is less hassle getting them, and less hassle setting them up to play with subtitles.
In and of itself, self-evident.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:43 pm

Since most of the stuff I've found at NYCC and I-Con is out of my comfortable price range (namely figurines), my collection as of now is limited to:

• 3 Figurines: A school-uniformed Asuka (blindbox), plugsuit and bandaged Rei (Rebuild), Unit-01 brandishing Prog Knife (Rebuild). The last two were part of a two-figurine set. Each of these were about $8.00.
  • Two wallscrolls, both of Asuka. Each was $10.00.
  • About 5-6 posters, mostly of the pilot girls. Two of them were $2.00 each (one of my best finds of EVER). The rest were between $5.00 and $20.00.

So I guess you could say the focus of my collection right now is art.

I'm waiting to buy any of the series/movies in hopes that a giant box set with the series, movies and Rebuild will be released after Final comes out.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:45 pm

Well, most of my collections focuses of Revoltechs:

SPOILER: Show

And in the lowermost left compartment I have now the collection of all 6 storyboard books...
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

TomasJC
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby TomasJC » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:09 am

As everyone's collection begins, the cornerstone of mine is, of course, is copies of the actual series/movies (sadly only DVDs/Blu-Rays, and not original VHS/Laserdiscs). I have also found interest in finding the many soundtracks and other miscellaneous audio CDs produced over the years. However, I'm taking interest in purchasing the few EVA related manga available.

Misato's toyboy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Misato's toyboy » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:22 pm

View Original PostdeeRez wrote:
The only plus for the Funimation Blurays is less hassle getting them, and less hassle setting them up to play with subtitles.

Uh..how do you set the Japanese Blurays up with English subtitles?! :shinji_eyebrow:

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:07 pm

View Original PostMisato's toyboy wrote:Uh..how do you set the Japanese Blurays up with English subtitles?! :shinji_eyebrow:

http://www.fanhow.com/knowhow:Add_Subtitles_to_Blu-ray_31188720
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:34 am

Love seeing what other people have or what they focus on. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it before, I don't really have a 'focus' per se, but more like 'wants'.

What I have ATM:
-Neon Genesis Evangelion Platinum Collection, R4 Madman release
-Death and Rebirth, R4 Madman release
-End of Evangelion, R4 Madman release
-Evangelion: 1.11 You Are (Not) Alone, DVD R4 Madman release
-Evangelion 2.22 You Can (Not) Advance, DVD R4 Madman release
-S² Works box set by Shiro Sagisu
-Neon Genesis Evangelion manga volumes 1-12, Madman/Chuang Yi Publishing
-Die Sterne by Yoshiyuki Sadamoto [Softcover]
-Der Monde by Yoshiyuki Sadamoto [Softcover]
-Carmine by Yoshiyuki Sadamoto [Softcover]

What I want, and will be trying my damned hardest to get, when I'm in Japan next month:
-Renewal of Evangelion DVD Collection
-Evangelion: Jō OST
-Evangelion: Ha OST
-Evangelion: Q OST
-RAHs; of which, I've decided I only just want the Eva Unit ones. I'll pass on the characters, as much as I'd love to have them. Too expensive.

Luckily the Renewal DVDs and the OSTs I'll probably all be able to pick up in the Eva Store in Harajuku. If not, I'll be tracking them down, haha. Hah. Huh? That will suck otherwise.

The RAHs in question are obviously still not out yet. I need to get my arse in gear and pre-order them ASAP.

Edit: Actually, I'd probably really like to get my hands on the R4 1.01 DVD release as well. Because, you know - It'd look cool on the shelf for one thing.
Last edited by Blue Monday on Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:02 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:http://www.fanhow.com/knowhow:Add_Subtitles_to_Blu-ray_31188720

There's also the easy way people like me tend to forget: download or extract your subtitles and load them on the fly with your player ("File/Load Subtitles" on MPC-HC).
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”