Spoiler Tags

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:50 pm

What would you rather it say besides `[spoiler]`? It already says "Hide"/"Show".

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:12 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:What would you rather it say besides `[spoiler]`? It already says "Hide"/"Show".
how about '[may or may not be a spoiler]'?
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:27 am

"Hide"/"Show" is fine on its own, really.

Otherwise [extra] or [more] might be suitable alternatives to [spoiler]
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:53 am

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:"Hide"/"Show" is fine on its own, really.

Otherwise [extra] or [more] might be suitable alternatives to [spoiler]

"More" might be ok, I'm fine with that. My only concern with this is when there actually is a real spoiler (and there's going to be a whole lot soon), would:

1. people remember to actually say "Spoiler" before putting said spoiler in a [more] tag,
2. barring that, would people who show up inevitably because of the new movie know inherently that this Show/Hide buttons in posts are actually hiding spoilers?

I suppose we can make a [more] without actually removing [spoiler], but I'm sure people would still use them interchangeably.

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:11 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:28 pm

Just seems needlessly confusing to me. What we've got now works for everything so adding something else doesn't really seem necessary.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:31 pm

Of all people, I actually like how 4chan does this: They coat the spoiler in the colour that matches the text, and you highlight so it shows up.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:53 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:Of all people, I actually like how 4chan does this: They coat the spoiler in the colour that matches the text, and you highlight so it shows up.

Yeah, tvtropes has a similar mechanism for their spoilers. On 4chan, you just need to hover over the spoilertext for it to show up. On tvtropes, you actually need to highlight the text in order to read it.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:12 am

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:Yeah, tvtropes has a similar mechanism for their spoilers. On 4chan, you just need to hover over the spoilertext for it to show up. On tvtropes, you actually need to highlight the text in order to read it.

It's one of the things i most love about TV Tropes, in fact i think it's an almost perfect system.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:23 am

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:Just seems needlessly confusing to me. What we've got now works for everything so adding something else doesn't really seem necessary.

I tend to agree. People who spoiler photos or blocks of text are usually clear about what they're doing and why, so I don't see the need to change anything. Assume it's an actual spoiler unless the poster says it isn't. Where's the difficulty?
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:51 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I tend to agree. People who spoiler photos or blocks of text are usually clear about what they're doing and why, so I don't see the need to change anything. Assume it's an actual spoiler unless the poster says it isn't. Where's the difficulty?

Second.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:17 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:Of all people, I actually like how 4chan does this: They coat the spoiler in the colour that matches the text, and you highlight so it shows up.

That system only works with in-line spoilers (and you can do that now anyways, people have in the past, by simply using the [color] tag). It doesn't work for images, or, if someone is posting a large spoiler filled review, you wouldn't want to scroll through a page of blank nothing if you wanted to skip it.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:25 pm

Shouldn't it be obvious from the context if there's a funny image or something Q related?

A Q related thread will of course have Q material in the tags, as will a post where someone goes
"Yes, blabla, but in Q... {spoiler box}".

The only confusion potential I see is when the fanarts of Q rush in and there's a pic featuring something comparable to the Rei rescue action in plot relevance and fanart volume.
In such case and other ambigious situations, people could just write "Q spoiler: {spoiler box} or {spoiler=Q} Pianos!{/spoiler}
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:56 pm

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:There should probably be a new function added 'Expand' or 'Hide' or 'More' that is for the general use (pictures, long divergence, etc)
View Original PostOrnette wrote:I suppose we can make a [more] without actually removing [spoiler]
    I should have worded my last two posts a little better- but basically this is what I was gunning for.
[spoiler] tags stay. We’ll use them for spoilers.
[more] tags introduced. We’ll use them for walls of text/divergences/images (essentially what spoiler tags are being used for 90% of the time right now)

Spoilers for spoilers.
More for more.

Makes sense, right?

View Original Postchillith wrote:What we've got now works
View Original PostBagheera wrote:I don't see the need to change anything. Assume it's an actual spoiler unless the poster says it isn't.
    As I said earlier- I know the current system isn’t necessarily broken, we’ve all just been raping the poor spoiler tag silly these last 3 years that it is barely used for its original purpose anymore.
    I love the spoiler tag. I just want to restore its purpose in life. ;_;
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:00 am

Might be worth noting that we already have an option for TVTropes-style spoilers, like so: we don't need no stinkin' spoilers, see?

So if you wanna be hardcore about it the option's already there.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:57 am

Actually the background of the posts isn't exactly white, in fact it's possible to read the text of your post without selecting the text, it alternates between this colour and this other one
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:53 am

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Actually the background of the posts isn't exactly white, in fact it's possible to read the text of your post without selecting the text, it alternates between this colour and this other one

Now that's weird. The first color you used is the same as mine, but I can't see mine in my post while I can see it in yours, and I can see both in the quote. And here I thought I'd stumbled across something clever. Ah well. :sigh:

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:06 am

It's really weird, actually I didn't notice that you used the same colour of the light background, is it possible that the alternation between the light and dark colour isn't consistent between different browsers? Or maybe it could be influenced by our boards' settings.
Anyway this is how I see those two posts.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:50 am

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:It's really weird, actually I didn't notice that you used the same colour of the light background, is it possible that the alternation between the light and dark colour isn't consistent between different browsers? Or maybe it could be influenced by our boards' settings.
Anyway this is how I see those two posts.

It looks like those are the generic alternating background colors for the forum's posts, meaning which you see will depend on your preferences (i.e., it will be offset if you see the last post on the previous page as the first post on this one -- so something invisible in the one color will be faint on the other). I had thought that that color choice made the text the same color as the background, since that's how it had worked out for me in the past (but my sample size was two, so by chance it worked out for me). Turns out that doesn't seem to be the case.

I don't think browser choice is a factor.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:07 am

You're right, your spoiler colour works correctly if I change my settings to "no overlap".
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”