NTV Road Show 6 minutes 38 seconds premiere on 16 November

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:24 pm

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:Instead we get a troll trailer and whatever this will turn out to be. Simply not impressed

It's very possible we'll get a trailer within the next day or two: http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/13252/Q-information-on-new-version-of-Nico-Nico

And if not, we'll have the first 6 minutes of Q out around this time next month.

I think you also have to keep in mind this is first and foremost a film series being made in Japan, for Japanese audiences. From what I've read, folks in Japan are pretty excited about what's to come in Q/3.0. I think what Xard wrote really hit the nail on the head.

arael: Keyhole TV is kinda shitty, but it's a legal way to watch the first 6 minutes of Q as it happens on NTV. Failing that, there's also :google: later in the day whenever the uploads happen. Since this isn't the same as a trailer, it's best to do searching on your own instead of involving the forums, yes.

cd603: There's bound to be a Q/3.0 sub-subforum very soon here, no idea yet what we'll do about the spoiler policy but we'll let everyone know. Most likely enforce threads be marked Spoilers / Non-Spoilers like when 2.0 debuted in Japan.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:18 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:6 minutes & 38 seconds huh.... this leads me to believe the opening of 3.0 will be something removed from the grand narrative of the film. Kinda like how Mari destroying Unit 05 really is on the sidelines of the overall films narrative but is a great way to kick off a film.

That's ... huh. When you put it that way, it almost makes me not want the 6 minutes. The Mari opening of 2.0 was so completely irrelevant to the rest of the film that I probably would have hated the bait-and-switch if I had seen that opening such-and-such weeks before seeing the whole movie.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Chroma
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chroma » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:23 am

@Brainman
I want that Jet Alone battle now. Badly. I'll be severely disappointed if it doesn't happen.

@EvangelionFan
The whole thing with Kawuro right before the spear - that's what I assumed would happen as well. The whole spear thing was only in 2.22, right? So it'd be a good way to introduce that to people who only watched 2.0 and it'd shed light on the scene and its immediate aftermath.
"What we needed were not words and promises, but the steady accumulation of small realities."
South of the Border, West of the Sun - Haruki Murakami

Fics: Ao3 https://archiveofourown.org/users/Sensha_do

tomfrom994
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby tomfrom994 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:30 am

It'll probably be seven minutes of one hundred people talking at the same time to make fan subbing a literal imposibility.

(Srsly though, I'm excited to see what it is)

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:57 am

Imagine how many people will be tuning in to watch this on the night of the 16th in Japan. Crazy stuff, but bloody brilliant if you ask me. If there is a trailer to come out of the Nico Nico thing as well, then that would just be all kinds of awesomeness.

Bring it on.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:00 am

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:So (apparently) instead of releasing any sort of actual trailer they're just going to show part of the movie the day before. That is just sad. Only thing more sad is seeing people laud this as anything other than pitiful, much less calling it 'genius'.

TSK, Good sir I do scoff in your general direction!

As for me, it'll be a great way to start my 23thd birthday.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:28 am

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:Instead we get a troll trailer and whatever this will turn out to be.

Look at this guy, he doesn't like pianos.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:43 am

"No girls on the Internet" meme aside, look at the Gender part of forum info. Seele's a girl.

On topic, it wouldn't surprise me if the first 6 minutes of Q are separate from the narrative like the Eva-05 vs Third Angel battle was. But I would be fine with a "story thus far" feel, bringing us up to speed on what's happening with the Nerv crew in lockdown, whatever the hell Kaworu's up to, etc.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:46 pm

Six and a half minutes of the audience at the 1.0 and 2.0 premieres, mixed with graffiti at the Khara offices, 8 seconds of something that looks WTF awesome. That's my guess.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:04 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Six and a half minutes of the audience at the 1.0 and 2.0 premieres, mixed with graffiti at the Khara offices, 8 seconds of something that looks WTF awesome. That's my guess.
don't forget that cgi piano
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:22 pm

It's all gonna be this, only starring Mari instead of Asuka.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:56 pm

I really don't get crossing one's arms, turning up one's nose and declaring "not impressed" at this news. Who'd have thought we'd get ANY of Q in (presumably) good quality in 2012!? You need to check your pulse if you find this unexciting.

Seen
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Seen » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:07 pm

FINALLY.

As long as it isn't 7 minutes of CGI rainbow piano, I'll be very happy.
Utena figures out why the duelists are dueling but what the hell kind of answers does she get? "Because I want to find the power of miracles, I'm going to chop bitches with a sword so I can get a creepy aspie girlfriend who waters roses and shit. which will grant me the power of miracles. I KNOW THIS GODDAMNIT DON'T ASK HOW" -Azathoth

Brainman
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Brainman » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:14 pm

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:I really don't get crossing one's arms, turning up one's nose and declaring "not impressed" at this news. Who'd have thought we'd get ANY of Q in (presumably) good quality in 2012!? You need to check your pulse if you find this unexciting.

Well, I can't speak for anyone else here, but I plan to just let go and get all spoiled upon release of the film. Just go ahead and learn all the saucy details. The only issue I have is going to be me having to trust possibly fraudulent claims initially before the record starts to get straightened out.

So for me, learning about a pre screening of some six minutes before the movie rates slightly above "pretty cool" for me, since it will be on tv and therefore not a camera shot taken from someone's pocket. The first august 2011 footage of Asuka flipping around in space and unveiling the Best Hair was put up in good quality almost instantly. So this will be out in a heartbeat. Again, pretty cool, but since I'm not waiting til 2013 to learn about everything, it's not such a big deal to know about the first six minutes just a day before. Again, it's the equivalent of seeing Bane wreck an airplane and going "what the fuck is he saying?" Only instead of months ahead of time, it's just a day before.

But as far as trying to guess how the movie will start, there's a lot of directions it could go, so it is actually pretty exciting to finally see how they do it. A big robot fight featuring Jet Alone I think would be a ton of fun because we all love that disposable failure. But also they could do some great stuff by rationalizing that it's the completed version with an array of ludicrous weaponry and gadgets. I'm reminded of the Samurai Jack episode "Robo Samurai vs Mondobot" where the Mondobot unleashes countless bullets and missiles and manages to destroy pretty much everything except the target which survives without a scratch. That could be lots of fun.

Or they could do a callback scene showing something from the previous movie but from another perspective. We've already mentioned the Kawrou on the moon angle, but they could also show Asuka's POV inside Unit 03. Maybe it's a flashback of Misato in post 2I, or Gendo and Fuyutsuki in the desert, an extended Yui disappearance scene, or a scene of Asuka's training as a child, or the actual creation of Rei.

I can't really think of a specific way to start it out, because whatever they do could affect the rest of the series.
Why do they even want the Loc-Nar? All it does is melt you.

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Na7e » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:15 pm

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:I really don't get crossing one's arms, turning up one's nose and declaring "not impressed" at this news. Who'd have thought we'd get ANY of Q in (presumably) good quality in 2012!? You need to check your pulse if you find this unexciting.

Because everyone liked You Can (Not) Advance...ohhh wait.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:41 pm

Exciting for people with taste, I mean (kidding, kidding not really!)

View Original PostBrainman wrote:So for me, learning about a pre screening of some six minutes before the movie rates slightly above "pretty cool" for me, since it will be on tv and therefore not a camera shot taken from someone's pocket. The first august 2011 footage of Asuka flipping around in space and unveiling the Best Hair was put up in good quality almost instantly. So this will be out in a heartbeat. Again, pretty cool, but since I'm not waiting til 2013 to learn about everything, it's not such a big deal to know about the first six minutes just a day before. Again, it's the equivalent of seeing Bane wreck an airplane and going "what the fuck is he saying?" Only instead of months ahead of time, it's just a day before.

It's not just a day before for most of us. There are huge consequences for recording screens in Japan, so a camrip could be a while. Maybe never. I suspect someone will wait until the theaters empty out at least. Hearing it second hand isn't "knowing everything", by the way. Plot points are only as good or bad as they play in the film itself.

Brainman
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Brainman » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:47 pm

^
Right, I mean obviously it's going to be kind of crazy for the first few weeks. I expect a lot of phony claims to be made at the beginning. I'm just saying that I'm making a conscious decision to not avoid spoilers. I'm the kind of guy who occasionally will read the last page of a book I'm starting, just because. When buying anime DVD's was more expensive, I'd often buy and watch the first and last volumes of a series first, then fill the middle volumes in. I dunno why.

Other than that, I just know that I won't be able to avoid the spoilers in any case, since I don't plan on disconnecting the internet for that time period. Just let it come, I say. So, again, it's cool that I'll be able to actually see the first six minutes pretty easily, but I'm not going to be using that as a stopgap between now and the summer of 2013 or whenever the film comes out on Blu Ray.
Why do they even want the Loc-Nar? All it does is melt you.

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby chaosakita » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:00 pm

View Original PostBrainman wrote:^
Right, I mean obviously it's going to be kind of crazy for the first few weeks. I expect a lot of phony claims to be made at the beginning. I'm just saying that I'm making a conscious decision to not avoid spoilers. I'm the kind of guy who occasionally will read the last page of a book I'm starting, just because. When buying anime DVD's was more expensive, I'd often buy and watch the first and last volumes of a series first, then fill the middle volumes in. I dunno why.

It's weird. I do that too. But I often do that to make sure that the ending is worth seeing. I can't stand a story with a horrible conclusion.
Avatar: Shinji and Kaworu get ice cream

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:26 pm

View Original PostBrainman wrote:Right, I mean obviously it's going to be kind of crazy for the first few weeks. I expect a lot of phony claims to be made at the beginning. I'm just saying that I'm making a conscious decision to not avoid spoilers. I'm the kind of guy who occasionally will read the last page of a book I'm starting, just because. When buying anime DVD's was more expensive, I'd often buy and watch the first and last volumes of a series first, then fill the middle volumes in. I dunno why.

I have started hating spoilers with a passion, personally. I will plug my ears if people around me are talking about a series/movie/book I'm interested in watching/reading. So I guess I'm going to have to stay off of EvaGeeks until May after Q comes out....
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:56 pm

I read the entire plot of EoE and watched the KST sequence before the series. SPOILERS COME TO ME! I want to hear every false summary and troll there is. November 17th will be a glorious day.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”