A Full Analysis of the Genesis 0:X Laserdisc

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby ath » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:04 pm

I know I'm late, but thanks a lot for the analysis, svenge!

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:I'm really not good at all with the wiki as well, maybe we could just try to steal the formatting of some other page, or we could see if ath is interested in it, I don't hear him from quite some time though.

I'm still not dead yet ;)
Unfortunately, I don't have much free time anymore since I started a new full-time job, but I'm still lurking around here and doing a bit of work on the Wiki from time to time. I'd sure like to help to move this over to the wiki after I've finished working on the OA/DC comparisons, but I'm limited by my poor English skills. I'd love if a native speaker could take a look at the result and fix all the little mistakes and the poor grammar.

View Original PostJoeD80 wrote:Actually yes there were minor changes to several episodes between on-air and video versions, beyond the removing of hiragana from all the title cards and the 30-second previews.

These are the minor changes, which I got from this Japanese site: http://www.mars.dti.ne.jp/~yato/eva/video.htm

That's extremely interesting, thanks! At a first glance, it looks like he missed some of the smaller changes, but the comparison between DEATH and DEATH (TRUE)2 will be very useful. The descriptions of the cuts added in the DC he uses are different from the script included in the Renewal DVDs, and his numbering of the cuts is a little off in a few scenes. I wonder if he had a different source for the DC scripts, but maybe he just wrote down the descriptions by himself as he watched the episodes.

I'll add the remaining differences to the OA/DC comparisons on our wiki (#21, #22 and #23 are basically done, I'm still working on #24 at the moment)

Too bad we won't ever know if some serious otaku ever managed to rip one of those old VHS recordings of the original broadcast. That would have been awesome.

View Original PostJoeD80 wrote:This last part is also pretty much well known, but there's no trailer for Love&Pop in KIBA-7, perhaps it was featured only in the LD/VHS Genesis0:13/0:14?

Heh. Didn't know that an Evangelion release included a trailer for Love&Pop, but I'm not surprised. I was sure that "July 19, 1997" had a meaning after all...

JoeD80
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby JoeD80 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:52 pm

There were some other minor changes he mentions, like color correction and fixing the bouncing issues and the like which aren't detailed step-by-step. As for the cut numbers, I am guessing from storyboards? There is mention of the Yui/Fuyutsuki meeting outside the Artificial Evolution Lab in episode #21' being from the original storyboard but never animated until the video versions were made, so the scene keeps its #104, #105 cut number while the other added cuts have #s in the 300s.

Misato's toyboy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Misato's toyboy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:51 am

Thanks for the info. I don't think the 30" previews were remastered.

Hyper Shinchan
God
God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:54 am

View Original Postath wrote:I'm still not dead yet ;)

I noticed it only yesterday morning because I saw your name between the active users. :tongue: Jokes apart I thought that you were busy with RL.
View Original PostMisato's toyboy wrote:Thanks for the info. I don't think the 30" previews were remastered.

The previews in general look a little weird to me but they were clearly remastered, take a look at these screenshots:

Preview 15'' at the end of episode 1:
SPOILER: Show

Preview 30'' included as extra of the first disc:

Episode 2:

As you can see the two previews are identical but they both look different compared to episode two itself, they're more saturated and they also have more cropping.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:49 pm

View Original PostMisato's toyboy wrote:Thanks for the info. I don't think the 30" previews were remastered.

As I recall, the 15-second previews were originally film-based like the series, whereas the 30-second previews were created using video editing equipment.

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby ath » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:30 pm

View Original PostJoeD80 wrote:As for the cut numbers, I am guessing from storyboards? There is mention of the Yui/Fuyutsuki meeting outside the Artificial Evolution Lab in episode #21' being from the original storyboard but never animated until the video versions were made, so the scene keeps its #104, #105 cut number while the other added cuts have #s in the 300s.

Do the official Evangelion storyboards cover the DC episodes or only the OA versions? Anyway, the differences between his version and the script included on the Renewal DVDs are minimal - for example, in #21' according to the DVDs cut 344 is a "missing number", while 346 is entirely missing (!) from the script. The numbers he uses surely make more sense, at least in that scene.

I haven't had time to take a look at his analysis of #22 and #23 yet. Their Renewal DVD scripts are especially messy, even compared to the other DC episodes.

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:32 am

View Original Postath wrote:Do the official Evangelion storyboards cover the DC episodes or only the OA versions?

If you're talking about those 700+ page paperback storyboard books like these, they were printed in 1997. As such, they reflect the OA versions of 21-24.

In comparison, 21'-22' were released on VHS/LD in Feb. 1998, and 23'-24' were released in July 1998.

AR-99
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:25 am

The shipping on those to North America ($68) costs more than the books themselves ($62) O_o, but they are absolute bricks.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Misato's toyboy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Misato's toyboy » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:31 pm

View Original Postsvenge wrote:If you're talking about those 700+ page paperback storyboard books like these, they were printed in 1997. As such, they reflect the OA versions of 21-24.

In comparison, 21'-22' were released on VHS/LD in Feb. 1998, and 23'-24' were released in July 1998.

Just as a FYI, the storyboard paperback book for EoE was included in the Laserdisc LE EoE set. Its on the extras disc for those who bought the monolith Renewal set of R3K Renewal set.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”