Does Evangelion ever make you depressed?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:02 pm

I get depressed when I watch Eva because it's not fair how a loser like Shinji gets three different bangable chicks, and I get none when I actually try.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:38 am

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:I get depressed when I watch Eva because it's not fair how a loser like Shinji gets three different bangable chicks, and I get none when I actually try.

:shinji_boohoo:
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:43 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote::shinji_boohoo:

:rofl: amazing.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Quadhonk
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Quadhonk » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:49 am

I've found a funny feeling I get whenever I get in the mood to marathon the series, which is every several years. Whenever I finish it, I'm always out of it for several days afterwards. I wouldn't call it depressed, more like depersonalised. Nothing really seems real for a couple of days. I think it's just an overload of information on my brain and it just needs several days to compute what it just witnessed. I call it the Evangelion effect. It's been a source of study of mine for some time now. I even experemented on a few friends of mine. I made them stay up for a whole day and in their sleepless state I marathon all of NGE up to EoE (played in the proper order). Afterwards I interview them and take notes on their behavior for several days. What I've found is that everyone produces a similar feeling after finishing the show, especially if it was their first time.
It's difficult in times like these; ideals, dreams and cherished hopes rise within us, only to be crushed by grim reality.
It's a wonder I haven't abandoned all my ideals, they seem so absurd and impractical.
Yet I cling to them because I believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart.
- Anne Frank (21 July 1944)

Chrad
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chrad » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:44 pm

'Depersonalised'...well put. It's an odd feeling.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:31 am

Regarding Quadhonk's post, i get a pretty similar feeling when i watch a lot of NGE (never marathoned the series) but more than depersonalized, i feel emotionally and intellectually overwhelmed by it all, and i either feel exhausted so to say, or have difficulty thinking on something else, at least with the same interest and passion. I really wouldn't call it just an overload of information though, i think that the emotional/"spiritual" impact also plays a huge role in that. And out of curiosity, how did your friends feel about the series some time after your experiment has finished?
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Quadhonk
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Quadhonk » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:00 am

View Original PostDream wrote:Regarding Quadhonk's post, i get a pretty similar feeling when i watch a lot of NGE (never marathoned the series) but more than depersonalized, i feel emotionally and intellectually overwhelmed by it all, and i either feel exhausted so to say, or have difficulty thinking on something else, at least with the same interest and passion. I really wouldn't call it just an overload of information though, i think that the emotional/"spiritual" impact also plays a huge role in that. And out of curiosity, how did your friends feel about the series some time after your experiment has finished?

For the most part the whole event must cause some type of deep introspective behavior. For days after the experements would be over with they would mention things that they had never previously thought about. Not anything life changing of course. But, it seemed to make them stop and think about their identity a good bit.
It's difficult in times like these; ideals, dreams and cherished hopes rise within us, only to be crushed by grim reality.
It's a wonder I haven't abandoned all my ideals, they seem so absurd and impractical.
Yet I cling to them because I believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart.
- Anne Frank (21 July 1944)

Lurkis
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Lurkis » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:52 pm

I find Eva in general has the opposite effect on me. If I am depressed, I'll just rewatch the series, ending, and films and presto! Feeling better :3

I think it has to do with the fact that I can be a part of something as complex and in depth as Eva (even as a fan); and still find time to enjoy it. The weeks of 'awe' that follow are a pleasant side effect :) Helps to see the world in a lighter sense for awhile.

GunmetalSnail429
Embryo

Indeed it does

•      
  •      

Postby GunmetalSnail429 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:55 pm

The first time I watched Evangelion was about a year and a half ago. At the time, I had only been introduced to the series. I had seen trailers for the Rebuild movies around the internet, but I had no idea what they were about.

One day, I stumbled across the Eva Wikipedia entry. It sounded familiar, so I read into it. The series sounded cool and just weird enough for me to like, so I decided to watch it.

Good God. At first, it was just a slight down feeling, like there was some dark cloud constantly hanging over me. As I watched and read more and more of Eva related stuff, the feeling got worse and worse.

It got to the point that it was all I could think about. It just would not go away. I was constantly thinking about all the possible ways that the series could have gone better and all the ways the characters could have had happier endings.

I finally broke down one day. I just sat in my house, tears pouring down my face for no reason. I couldn't move, I couldn't talk. All i could think about was Evangelion and all the ways that I would help the characters.

And that was when it hit me.

The entire time, I had been thinking of ways that I would do things differently were I in certain character's shoes. My desire to help these fictional characters was so strong that it had actually transcended the boundaries of the animated world.

Once I realized exactly what was wrong, I almost instantly began to feel better. I began to force myself to remember that, regardless of how much I wanted to to be real, the universe of Evangelion was fictional. The characters were fictional. Their problems were fictional. There was nothing I could do about it.

Once I was able to get that through my head, I began to calm down. I started putting my ideas down on paper, and began writing fanfiction. I know usually that would probably just make things worse, but it helped me more than you can imagine.

I was 20 going on 21 then, and am now 22 and I still love Evangelion. I can honestly say that it has had possibly the biggest impact on my life out of anything else. I still write from time to time, and I have a few stories on ff.net. They still help me get out of the occasional Eva related funk.

Anywho, that's my two cents. I hope this helps someone.
God's in his Heaven because He's scared of our superior firepower...-Yui Ikari

Zao760
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Zao760 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:18 am

Just watched EoE for the 3rd time this week. I completely understand the movie. The ending being vague but optimistic, cool, great... I'm still depressed. As soon as the credits ended I started crying, heart ache ensued. Fuck I must be losing it.

Katana
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Katana » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:10 am

View Original PostZao760 wrote:As soon as the credits ended I started crying, heart ache ensued. Fuck I must be losing it.
It's a common reaction, except that I didn't cry.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:00 am

Personally EoE didn't depressed me, thanks to the hopeful tone in the end that everyone who died could come back(maybe even Kaji!) and help Shinji and Asuka to not kill one each other! :lol:

Rebuild 3.0 on the other hand... :|
Ouch! I didn't cried, but I must admit that it made me feel bad during some time(and I was already spoiled before seeing it, in fact I knew about the revelations even before beginning Evangelion!), next time I saw it was with my sister, and it was the fact that she wasn't spoiled at all about 3.0's content and the prospect to see her WTF face that motivated me!

And I must say it was worth it! :lol:
Last edited by ElMariachi on Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:32 am

View Original PostZao760 wrote:Just watched EoE for the 3rd time this week. I completely understand the movie. The ending being vague but optimistic, cool, great... I'm still depressed. As soon as the credits ended I started crying, heart ache ensued.

As Katana said, it's common problem. I'm pretty sure it was gone over in this thread, but unfortunately knowing != feeling, so knowing the movie is supposed to be/is hopeful doesn't change the way one feels.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Katana
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Katana » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:28 am

View Original PostKatana wrote:except that I didn't cry.

I admit I cried silent tears though, it was painful.

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:00 pm

It made me depressed. And on some levels angry. Q even more so. Just saying cause... You know. You may have not noticed it from my other comments XD

But seriously, even now I can't bring myself to enjoy Rebuild OST which I greatly adored before and often listened to. Now whenever I have the tought to play it, split second later it's followed by "why even bother", and instant drop of good mood. :|
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

SpiredWarrior
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SpiredWarrior » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:37 pm

Eva never depresses me. Quite the contrary, in fact. If it weren't for friends of mine introducing me to Eva, then I'd still be depressed. Watching it actually helps me with my emotional issues, because it helps me address problems, especially during scenes where Shinji is heavily involved.

SimplyMason0
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SimplyMason0 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:02 pm

Not really. However I suffer from racing thoughts and some of the mindscrew scenes like Arael, Leliel and the TV ending do make me feel quite uneasy due to the similarities to my thinking patterns. Yet I'm ok with EoE.

Though thats really it. I don't really act like any of the characters as my depression and life are completely different than Eva.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:14 pm

Sometimes, I have a hard time watching the series from start to finish, cause in a way, it feels like I'm watching ghosts. Everything that they gain at the beginning, only to fail so miserably at the end, it feels like everything was all for nothing. It's kind of hard to stomach sometimes, even with the messages that the show and movie try to portray.
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:26 pm

Nah, I don't get depressed. Sometimes I laugh for a few minutes and feel sad about it, but then i go back to normal.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:24 pm

My wife suggested we have an Evangelion viewing day from start to finish. I looked at her like a hurt puppy until she decided I lacked the strength to match her episode after episode in one sitting, and said we didn't have to do that.

There's only so much I can do! I am but a man!
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”