Newtype USA December 2006 Eva transcript

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

Newtype USA December 2006 Eva transcript

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:49 am

Anime's new baby

In the recent years, Hideaki Anno has been focusing more on live-action than anime, so his decision to make another Eva anime surprised many. Otsuki has a theory, though.

"Twelve years is enough time for you to be able to look back on earlier works obvjectively", he explains. "Shortly before we started this project, Anno had a big Eva marathon where he watched the whole series in one go.
The first thing he said when he finished watching was, 'This show really is interesting, isn't it? I never realized how interesting it was'. That comment really shook me."

The new project was started as an affirmation of the value of Anno's past work. "He and his team have gained a lot of experience since then," Otsuki adds. "They've matured as animators and as people. I think you'll be able to see that growth in this production.

Despite all the changes in everyone's lives, having the old staff together again made for a very nostalgic mood on the production site. "Everyone was completely burned out during the second half of the original TV run and the movies, but now they're fresh and enthustiastic again. They've gotten older, but they're still full of energy. It's almost like watching kids prepare for a holiday celibration. The staff will also include a bunch of younger twenty-somethings who decided to join the anime industry after watching Eva and being inspired.

This show has been loved by a lot of people over the years." Indeed it has. The new movies also reflect the staff's feelings about the state of the anime industry. It's even suggested that this project is a rejection of current anime production philosophy.

"It's true that Eva was a huge hit," Otsuki says. "But its success spawned a great deal of confusion and misunderstanding in the in the industry, the end result being a bunch of mass-produced junk.
That mindset has persisted for ten years, but now we're in a position to prove it wrong. We're determined to close the door on the post-Eva era for good.

Not your daddy's Eva

When the shocking news first broke, it sent anime fans around the world into a frenzy: Neon Genesis Evangelion, widely regarded as one of the best anime series ever made, was being adapted four brand-new films! Who would've ever thought we'd see another Evangelion?
In the dozen or so years since its debut, the series spawned numerous video games and even saw a "renewal" reissue with touched-up art and new voiceovers, but until now there hasn't been a smallest whisper of a new series. What can we possibly expect?

"The new story takes place in the same period as the 1995 TV series, but the plot is completely different," producer Toshimichi Otsuki elaborates. "This isn't a remake or a quick fix. It's a totally new production."

Being a new production means GAINAX is taking a different approach than what SUNRISE did with the recent Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam movies, which were essentially a three-part summary of the TV series. In contrast, the new Eva movies call for massive modifications to the setting and the concepts.

"It'll be something viewers can enjoy if they've never seen the TV series," Otsuki continues. "I want everyone--from hardcore fans of the original work to people who only know it because of the licensed stuff--to look at it as a standalone film series.

The complexity has been somewhat lessened to make it more accesible to newbies, but it'll still take a bit of thought to understand." Otsuki adds that they're removing much of the deliberate obfuscation that made Eva infamous: "Filling works with difficult workds and concepts in order to create confusion among viewers was a good technique 12 years ago, but not anymore, and one of our primary goals for this project is to turn everyone's expectations upside down."

The core creative team from the TV series has reunited, with original director Hideaki Anno (Gunbuster) overseeing the production. Kazuya Tsurumaki (FLCL) is taking on the mechanical design. Anno himself came up with the storyline for the first installment, while fellow GAINAX co-founder Shinji Higuchi is responsible for storyboarding. A number of new staff members will also be brought on as the production advances.

Hmm, interesting. Thoughts?
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

Re: Newtype USA interview on Rebuild of Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:35 am

Hideaki Anno wrote:'This show really is interesting, isn't it? I never realized how interesting it was'

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:00 am

My only thoughts were why it took NewtypeUSA so long to translate that? It wasn't exactly that long of an article. Maybe they just wanted to plaster Eva on the cover of their fiftieth issue and sat on it for a couple months.

And along the same note, is that all? I was expecting a bit more.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:27 pm

Yeah I bought this a few weeks ago because I was expecting more and was disappointed with the content. I love that quote from Anno on how the show is "Interesting"

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:47 pm

Trigger's Elysium wrote:Anime's new baby

..."Filling works with difficult words and concepts in order to create confusion among viewers was a good technique 12 years ago, but not anymore, and one of our primary goals for this project is to turn everyone's expectations upside down."...

As much as I loved the subliminal flashes, and have started experimenting with them in my own work, this comment is actually whta gives me the most hope for this project.

master0rolando
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby master0rolando » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:08 pm

Hideaki Anno wrote:'This show really is interesting, isn't it? I never realized how interesting it was'

[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]

ANTA BAKA?!?!

is he dumb or something? After ten years of this show's popularity he should've gotten a hint.

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:45 am

From what we've heard of his relationship to Eva and anime, could it be he never even really watched it?
If I have no soul to touch, no heart to love, no evil to rise up above
No angels and no ghosts, no real victories to toast
If you believe that this is true then I must ask;
to what end do you proceed?

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:55 am

I think he's just dicking around.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:24 pm

Kimochi Warui.....
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

mundungu
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby mundungu » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:26 am

It is what people in the entertainment industry refer to as "Good P.R."

He's not an idiot, he's just eccentric.

I'm sure the remake will be awesome, whether or not it really is :roll:

BLACKANGEL32076
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby BLACKANGEL32076 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:50 pm

So this IS going to be an AU rewrite of the Series adn not a collection of side stories like I thought.

This is going to turn into a great big steaming pile boys and girls.
-...because a lot can happen in 24hrs.
-"Consistancy people, consistancy!!!"-George Carlin

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:17 am

BLACKANGEL32076 wrote:This is going to turn into a great big steaming pile boys and girls.

Why? Because he won't have to worry about continuity, and there fore there are likely to be less plot holes?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:23 pm

Does this mean, possible Duel of the Seeds footage?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:31 pm

Ornette wrote:Does this mean, possible Duel of the Seeds footage?

I WOULD COME.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:48 pm

slight rant: what bothers me about Newtype USA's version is they left out some info Newtype Japan issue's had (ie: there are more sample pics from that Eva game in the Japan issue). Didn't seem like it was anything important, but still... >_<

In terms of Anno and that comment, I think he was saying that as a submininal message or just screwing around or something. "Hey, all you 10 year+ Eva otaku! You WILL watch the movies, you know you want to! @_@ Mwahahahahaha! :twisted:"
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:43 pm

Reichu wrote:

I WOULD COME.

for some reason, THAT seems to be the greatest quote on this board yet.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:20 am

cat42 wrote:
Reichu wrote:

I WOULD COME.

for some reason, THAT seems to be the greatest quote on this board yet.

I don't know if I'm amused or terrified.

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:16 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:In terms of Anno and that comment, I think he was saying that as a submininal message or just screwing around or something. "Hey, all you 10 year+ Eva otaku! You WILL watch the movies, you know you want to! @_@ Mwahahahahaha! :twisted:"

Please, he didn't even need to do that. He knows he has the Eva otaku's by the proverbial balls. All he had to do was squeeze a little bit and he knew all would gush over him again and do whatever he says. Anno really is an evil genius in my mind.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:23 pm

Hmm, good point. (The above is the best quote in this theard so far! :P)

Unless he doesn't give a damn and/or just cares about making yen, what about Eva's message/theme about taking a chance at life as well as life can be a good thing (don't make me pull out EoTV and EoE quotes!), after all? Would you say that kinda backfired? :?
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

gydromon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby gydromon » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:10 pm

master0rolando wrote:

[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]

ANTA BAKA?!?!

is he dumb or something? After ten years of this show's popularity he should've gotten a hint.

HIKARI! that's real nice clark- real nice-

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”