New Doctor Who (SPOILERS)

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:09 pm

Well, River's story has to come to an end sometime. Quite honestly, they did the only thing with Hitler that they could. Though I sometimes feel as if the show is getting far more nationalistic than it was in the old days, and that's not a good thing.

I honestly don't dislike River. This has been the best non-chronological story on TV since season one of Haruhi.

But, yeah, Moffat's tendency towards brinkmanship, by killing off the Doctor over and over again, seems to be showing. If you watch Sherlock, you might notice the same thing about the end of the first season.
[Became an administrator on July 1st, 2006.]

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:45 am

RE: Let's Kill Hitler

I was a little bit disappointed with the River reveal, I would've quite liked Mel to stay around a bit longer, also it's kinda weird to think that River is around 20yrs old and looks like Alex Kingston. I was sort of hoping they'd do a similar thing to Amy's story where the Doctor turned up at different parts of River's timeline and she sort of grew up with him, I suppose that might still happen, depending on whether she still has the ability to age like a timelord (i.e only when the plot calls for it). Also I don't get how they could just essentially dump her somewhere, and then Amy didn't seem to care, I mean surely she'd like to spend time with her only daughter?

Let's Kill Hitler remain's my favourite ever Who title though. It makes a change from the "The X of Y" style titles used in the old days, and the single word titles of the RTD era.

RE: Night Terrors
This episode was an absolute turd, Mark Gatiss is getting worse with each episode he writes, and yet they keep asking him back.

The Unquiet Dead (Good)> The Idiot's Lantern (Meh)> Victory of the Daleks (Good ideas, all wasted, bullshit "the power of love saves us all" ending)> Night Terrors (Scooby Doo without the mystery).

Next Episode looks cool though, and I can't wait for Moffat's finale.
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:15 pm

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:45 pm

New teaser, new companion: http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2012/03/26/new-doctor-who-teaser-lands/

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sharaz Destler » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:58 am

View Original Postdrinian wrote:Though I sometimes feel as if the show is getting far more nationalistic than it was in the old days, and that's not a good thing.

Maybe not "nationalistic." That would imply a sentiment that Britain is somehow superior to the rest of the world, and I'm honestly not getting that vibe.

What I am getting is a sense that Doctor Who is being more reconstructionist about Great Britain than it ever has been--that it's rebuilding the national story and giving the people a rousing speech at a time when the UK (I feel) needs it the most.
"To the rational mind, nothing is inexplicable...only unexplained."--The Doctor, "Doctor Who".

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby arkiel » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:30 pm

TONIGHT.

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:02 pm

View Original Postarkiel wrote:TONIGHT.

You know it! :) :) :)

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

•      
  •      

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:58 pm

And now it's over.

I'll be rewatching it later tonight though.
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:03 pm

I was very happy with this episode. Moffat's era seems to be getting better with each season and Smith... Smith is shaping up to surpass the great Tom Baker as my favorite Doctor.

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby arkiel » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:57 pm

I dunno, I wish they kept the Time War mythos in there. That was my favorite subplot. I would have rather seen the Doctor somehow mitigate the Time War's effects and bring back some Time Lords, rather than see this whole mess with River Song.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:19 pm

Seems like they're trying to make the 50th anniversary season as bombastic as possible. I approve.

Edit after the Gunslinger episode:
SPOILER: Show

Remember how, way back in the first episode with Matt Smith, we get a close look at Rory's ID badge -- it was issued in 1990, far too early for someone as young as him? (Here's a screencap: http://i44.tinypic.com/fw0oea.jpg)

Now, in this episode, we have someone bringing electric lighting to Earth ten years early. And a lot of people discussing the episode online seem to think that this season is occurring out of chronological order. I wonder if they're related.

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby arkiel » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:07 pm

God dammit, The Power of Three just scooped my next chapter of The Foregone Conclusion. Only instead of cubes, it was stuffed, round cats.

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:22 pm

The Shakri possibly the identity of the "Silence will fall" voice?
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby arkiel » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:57 am

Looks like River is going to regenerate next ep. Wouldn't it be cool if she turned into that Dalek from the first ep? :D

Fazmotron

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:47 am

What gave you that idea?
She can't regenerate.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:24 pm

More convinced than ever that there are some strange things going on with timelines here. There was a huge passage of time referred to in this latest episode.

Who knows, maybe this is just their tribute to the old UNIT dating ambiguities:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UNIT_dating_controversy#UNIT_dating

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby arkiel » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:18 pm

Man, that was a crap episode. I think its time to give the Weeping Angels a rest for a few decades.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:19 pm

View Original Postarkiel wrote:Man, that was a crap episode. I think its time to give the Weeping Angels a rest for a few decades.

I thought it was better than the last one, but was still really problematic.

I do have to give Moffat credit, though, he had a moment in this episode that had been planned since Matt Smith's first episode. And they're either being extremely enigmatic with hints, or leaving a number of red herrings behind.

Take the new companion, for instance -- they managed to keep her appearance in the season opener a secret, but it's unclear even that she's the same person. Still have high hopes for the fiftieth anniversary season next year.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:18 pm

The Weeping Angels has always been a pretty good recurring theme, IMO. It's just a let down if the episode isn't up to the standard of how awesome the first couple of them were. It would be nice to see something else that's as good that could also make a good recurring theme, but like drinian, I thought it was better than the last episode (probably the last 2).

My wife works in the building overlooking Central Park so she got to see the day or so that they were filming out there. Though the locals would immediately notice that they somehow were sitting in the middle of south Central Park, turned around to cross a street and were in Times Square, only to turn the corner and end up in Brooklyn, where the Tardis was hanging out at the end of the Manhattan Bridge.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:13 am

Dr Who location shooting in NY? What is the world coming to? -- real Dr Who location shoots are either that nice little village down the M4 a bit, or an abandoned gravel pit ditto.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Film and Video”