The Gainax Cash Cow, or, Why The F*!& Did I Buy That?!

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Jayfive » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:26 pm

They really do make with the provocative when they pose Mari. Clearly offering a choice of coffee or boobs in both renditions.

MarcG19
Embryo

Postby MarcG19 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:16 am

View Original PostJoeD80 wrote:Rei and Asuka as Hello Kitty anyone?

http://www.gainax.co.jp/anime/eva/news/0357.html

Yup, seen in the field. Not just the stuff listed on Gainax, but others too at Animate in Taipei. One I remember the best is a Rei-Asuka-as-Kiti-chan iPhone case. If I wasn't going to be getting the iPhone 5 I'd get that case (and look like the world's biggest dork).

Also, Uniqlo had two Eva shirts as part of its (now officially over) summer lineup - one that was pretty lame (and didn't sell) and another that's kind of cool that I bought - showing the beginning of the 3rd impact from Rebuild 2. (I can upload pics for the interested).

Also, this just arrived:
http://www.phantacico.com/?p=2810

I left my Lawson 2012 Rebuild Calendar in the US, but I'll post pictures of it when I get back. I also almost bought an Eva-01 Hawaiian shirt at the Eva store (Eva-01 on the back, Fujisan and the The Great Wave off Kanagawa on the front), but they wanted equivalent of $200 for it!!!

I have a feeling that as Nov 17th approaches we'll see more......

...what surprises me is that a lot of it is geared toward women, not the demographic I'd imagine buys eva stuff (this is even seen in the location of the eva store - in Harajuku, the teen/early 20s uber hip fashion capitol vice Akihabara, the geeks place).

Grand Duke of Yashima
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Grand Duke of Yashima » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:48 am

[url]http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2012-09-18/evangelion-ladies-underpants-for-sale-in-japan[/url]

EVA Fan Fiction: The Blue Rose Saga

https://www.facebook.com/EvangelionTheBlueRose

"The power of the Evangelion is the power of love"

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:11 pm

I can already see fujoshi wearing Kaworu's ones.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby AR-99 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:22 pm

View Original PostMarcG19 wrote:...what surprises me is that a lot of it is geared toward women, not the demographic I'd imagine buys eva stuff

Why not go for 100% of the potential consumer base vs. just focusing on 50%. :thumbsup: The problem that creates for us guys now is would we buy that just to have it or not? :shrug:
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Grand Duke of Yashima
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Grand Duke of Yashima » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:44 pm

View Original PostMarcG19 wrote:
...what surprises me is that a lot of it is geared toward women, not the demographic I'd imagine buys eva stuff.

I suppose that explains this then:
EVA Fan Fiction: The Blue Rose Saga

https://www.facebook.com/EvangelionTheBlueRose

"The power of the Evangelion is the power of love"

MarcG19
Embryo

Postby MarcG19 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:55 am

View Original PostAR-99 wrote:Why not go for 100% of the potential consumer base vs. just focusing on 50%. :thumbsup: The problem that creates for us guys now is would we buy that just to have it or not? :shrug:

I've never imagined NGE as a chick's show. And for that matter, outside of stores I've yet to see anyone actually wear Evangelion clothes. In fact, tomorrow when I wear my Uniqlo Third Impact t-shirt, I'll be the first........ :D

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:35 pm

View Original PostMarcG19 wrote:I've never imagined NGE as a chick's show.

We female members of the forum would like a word with you. :tsk:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Rj123541
Leliel
Leliel

Postby Rj123541 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:35 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:We female members of the forum would like a word with you. :tsk:
Oh now he is in for it.
logic.
ロジック
Avatar: "Irelia", my top lane masterpiece.

SpearofLonginus
Lilith

Postby SpearofLonginus » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:17 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:We female members of the forum would like a word with you. :tsk:

I agree with this (being female myself) but I still don't see this is a women's show either XD I feel so sexist... lol

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

Postby KnightmareX13 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:29 pm

View Original PostRj123541 wrote:Oh now he is in for it.

Oi show some manners debbie
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

JoeD80
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby JoeD80 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:47 pm

I've found that my anime loving girl-friends have enjoyed this show more than my guy-friends. It's too character-driven for the shoot 'em up testosterone-type guys.

Rj123541
Leliel
Leliel

Postby Rj123541 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:46 pm

View Original PostJoeD80 wrote:I've found that my anime loving girl-friends have enjoyed this show more than my guy-friends. It's too character-driven for the shoot 'em up testosterone-type guys.
That is the same thing most of my friends that I refered this show to had expected. Leading them to think like most people that the ending was stupid.
logic.
ロジック
Avatar: "Irelia", my top lane masterpiece.

Hatsumi92
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Hatsumi92 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:17 pm

View Original PostMarcG19 wrote:I've never imagined NGE as a chick's show.

Actually in Japan Evangelion has a huge Fujoshi fanbase. It's not as huge outside of Japan but it exists, which kinda makes sense for this products existence? Uhhh..

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:44 am

View Original PostHatsumi92 wrote:Actually in Japan Evangelion has a huge Fujoshi fanbase. It's not as huge outside of Japan but it exists, which kinda makes sense for this products existence? Uhhh..

What is huge outside of Japan, the fujoshi fanbase or the female fanbase in general? I really can't say that I see many western fujoshi/Kaworu-fangirls around here unfortunately.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Hatsumi92
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby Hatsumi92 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:17 am

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:What is huge outside of Japan, the fujoshi fanbase or the female fanbase in general? I really can't say that I see many western fujoshi/Kaworu-fangirls around here unfortunately.

Sorry, I wasn't that clear. What I meant is that the female fanbase for Evangelion isn't as huge outside of Japan. It exists it just isn't as big as in Japan. Maybe you can put that on the Evangelion production committee marketing the series in all shapes and sizes in turn being able to pander to literally anybody. That's not quite as possible in the US or EU. For example Funimation marketing Evangelion 2.22 as giant robot action where as in Japan the trailers mostly consisted of scenes which could be interpreted as a character drama.

There was a user here who went to Evangelion World and posted a few tour videos of the gigantic Eva Unit 01 and 02 heads and there was boy and girl couples as well as just two girl friends taking pictures of Gendo's desk and stuff. You could bring it down to culture and what anime is in Japan, but I just say Evangelion is very well marketed and geared towards everybody.

Not that gender matters, it's just pretty interesting to see a show with such unity.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:57 am

Thanks for further elaborating it, actually it was clear enough but somehow I failed to understand it, maybe I was still sleepy or something.
Anyway, I can't be completely sure about it, since I only have some hints like the merchandising to deduce the number of female fans in Japan, but it's quite possible that you're correct.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

MarcG19
Embryo

Postby MarcG19 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:35 am

:grin: As you should. :grin: Apologies, I didn't mean this as a pejorative, but I never thought that the series would appeal to women. Beyond the robot/action/end of the world/mystic genre elements (delightfully subverted - its subversion and dark parody of the genre is one of my favorite things about the series), I've always seen it as a male view of the world, and even the female characters as male views of women.

But, on second thought, 3/4 of the main characters are women, the story is IMO mostly psychological, and really the "drama" of the story arc is in the end psychological. Not that these appeal to women only, that women can't appreciate action and all that, or that men cannot appreciate psychological story arcs.....but I think broadly speaking the psychological element in drama is generally more interesting to women than men.

But then, that's perhaps for a different thread. Has such a thing been done before? If not, I'd be willing to start one, because I'm fascinated.

Marc

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby AR-99 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:20 pm

Movie tickets with a flying Mini Mark 06.

There are sure to be some interesting stuffs for Kaworu to be released, although I personally don't focus on him for collecting purposes.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:08 pm

Repost (from another thread) for those who missed it since the News section mentions this:

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:1/18 Nerv Car for sale together with Asuka and Misato figures: http://neweva.blog103.fc2.com/blog-entry-1775.html Seems like it's out in October.

2.0-related merchandise according to the packaging.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”