[DOUJINSHI] Re-Take

Fanfiction, fan art, AMVs, and any other fan creations or Eva-related projects: share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1116
Joined: Nov 19, 2006
Location: Under the Crimson Air

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:36 pm

I don't think you know just how much I haeted it. I haven't had this much HAET for something since FFVIII. I don't mind the Shinji and Asuka dynamic, but I don't like how practically every character had to be bended towards the pairing; like a bad fanfic, except with pretty pictures and pron. I almost shat an entire brick of pure rage when I found out that the doujin had a soundtrack...

Dunno, just gave off an air of ultimate haet for me. Plain old didn't like it.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?
User avatar
Age: 34
Posts: 22937
Joined: Aug 13, 2006
Location: Living in Houston, TX
Gender: Female
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:54 pm

I see. Well, we all have our opinions, so whatever works for you.

If it's any consolation, I'm not a huge fan (No pun intended :P) of the offical manga; though I'm waiting for the ending before I pass my final judgement on it. (It's really hard for me to get into it with what Sadamoto did to Shinji's character. IMHO, he acts like your stereotypcial male anime/manga lead, and part of the reason I like anime Shinji is the fact he's anything BUT.)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1116
Joined: Nov 19, 2006
Location: Under the Crimson Air

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:59 pm

My complaints about the official manga are similar to yours; I really hate what they did to Shinji's character. And the Kaworu sections were both boring and embarassingly bad.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

The Bastard King
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 32
Posts: 1236
Joined: Nov 10, 2006
Location: Colby-Sawyer College
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby The Bastard King » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:30 pm

You forget though...

SPOILER: Show
...that this takes places in one of the impact worlds created by Shinji. Characters are bent this way and that in personality because those are the ways Shinji wants them to be. And it all happens at a decent pace, so as not to be completely unbelievable
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar
Age: 62
Posts: 20462
Joined: Nov 23, 2004
Location: This sceptered isle.
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:37 pm

Trigger's Elysium wrote:how practically every character had to be bended towards the pairing


I felt it reached an inconvenient (for their central aim) truth - the only way they could manage the S/A wedding was to have Asuka being brain damaged. That agrees with my feelings on the matter as well.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics||MAL
Avatar: Mahou Shoujo Rapture Asuka : "Slice them up with your magical karambit, chu!"

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar
Age: 46
Posts: 11808
Joined: Dec 26, 2005
Location: Pittsburgh/New York City
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Ornette » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:16 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:
Trigger's Elysium wrote:how practically every character had to be bended towards the pairing


I felt it reached an inconvenient (for their central aim) truth - the only way they could manage the S/A wedding was to have Asuka being brain damaged. That agrees with my feelings on the matter as well.

I thought she was brain damaged AFTER the wedding was announced.

The Bastard King
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 32
Posts: 1236
Joined: Nov 10, 2006
Location: Colby-Sawyer College
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby The Bastard King » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:55 pm

Ornette wrote:
Mr. Tines wrote:
Trigger's Elysium wrote:how practically every character had to be bended towards the pairing


I felt it reached an inconvenient (for their central aim) truth - the only way they could manage the S/A wedding was to have Asuka being brain damaged. That agrees with my feelings on the matter as well.

I thought she was brain damaged AFTER the wedding was announced.

In some sort of cruel sense, I can see that as being perfectly Asuka like as well. Shocked that she's mayying that baka, and boom! Vegetable state.

And this is why you should always remain abstinent.
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

cat42
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1243
Joined: Aug 20, 2006
Location: The editing room
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby cat42 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:08 pm

I dunno, I actually can see Asuka acting like she did if Shinji has actually done something to support her emotionally (and only her)

jcmoorehead wrote:I think ReTake is far from the worst doujin on the planet there is probably a hell of a lot worse out there. I enjoyed ReTake and not because I'm an S/A fan but because it had a good story and wasn't just random sex like 99% of Eva Doujins out there.


Quoted for (personal) truth

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar
Age: 46
Posts: 11808
Joined: Dec 26, 2005
Location: Pittsburgh/New York City
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Ornette » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:18 pm

cat42 wrote:
jcmoorehead wrote:I think ReTake is far from the worst doujin on the planet there is probably a hell of a lot worse out there. I enjoyed ReTake and not because I'm an S/A fan but because it had a good story and wasn't just random sex like 99% of Eva Doujins out there.


Quoted for (personal) truth

quoted for quoted for truth

Synkhro
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 14
Joined: Dec 09, 2006
Location: Brazil

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Synkhro » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:35 pm

But wh0 da h3ll is the chibi ladie at the end!? :x

I thought it was an excelent manga, I actually never realized the possibilty of Shinji x Asuka before, mostly because i didn't get too deep in these things, I was only going with the Rei x Shinji obviousness show in the begining of the anime. :?

It's an excelente doujinshi, with a good chain of events justifying the Asuka x Shinji shipping. Since the "bend" of the characters is justyfied by the fact of being in one of the realities created by Shinji... Wait. They're going to continue the doujin? FROM WHERE? "The everyday life of the Iakri-Longhley family in the lil'island in the middle of earth-nowhere" ? ;[

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar
Age: 62
Posts: 20462
Joined: Nov 23, 2004
Location: This sceptered isle.
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:15 am

Synkhro wrote:But wh0 da h3ll is the chibi ladie at the end!? :x


I think that she's just the first of the rest of the people returning from having been tangified.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics||MAL
Avatar: Mahou Shoujo Rapture Asuka : "Slice them up with your magical karambit, chu!"

Soljer13
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 1335
Joined: Nov 02, 2006
Location: In the Capital Wasteland

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Soljer13 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:15 pm

I got my hands on re-take... 0 through 3. And all I can say is... IT MAKES ME CRY!!! Oh and I think some author on FF.net or MM.org plagarised this story.
PURGE! CLEANSE! KILL! FOR THE EMPEROR!

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1116
Joined: Nov 19, 2006
Location: Under the Crimson Air

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:17 pm

Crying with lame, you mean?

Anyway, I just heard someone else's take on it; apparently, a lot of it was a symbolic representation of the complementation process. Too bad they screwed up a nice idea like that with a totally inane and stupid storyline.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot
User avatar
Age: 42
Posts: 2020
Joined: Jun 21, 2004
Location: Land of 11,842 Lakes
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Hunter21 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:51 pm

soljerameelguy wrote:I got my hands on re-take... 0 through 3. And all I can say is... IT MAKES ME CRY!!! Oh and I think some author on FF.net or MM.org plagarised this story.
"Some" author :lol:
Try many, many authors.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel
User avatar
Posts: 789
Joined: Jul 13, 2006
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Kaysow » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:02 am

Fuck shipping; that shouldn't be what sells it. It's a great fan-adaption, well-written and well-drawn, and that should be enough.
If I have no soul to touch, no heart to love, no evil to rise up above
No angels and no ghosts, no real victories to toast
If you believe that this is true then I must ask;
to what end do you proceed?

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1116
Joined: Nov 19, 2006
Location: Under the Crimson Air

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:15 am

Oh, I won't deny that the art and planning for a fan production is fantastic. I just don't like it.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel
User avatar
Posts: 789
Joined: Jul 13, 2006
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Kaysow » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:36 am

Fair enough.

But shipping IS bullshit. I'm not gonna hate on the official manga, just because Sadamoto swings the other way.
Of course some may find it detracting when the writer is straying from what one may have thought was the groundlines of a story, but in anime culture, personal preferences play way too much a role in this forming of opinion.
If I have no soul to touch, no heart to love, no evil to rise up above
No angels and no ghosts, no real victories to toast
If you believe that this is true then I must ask;
to what end do you proceed?

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1116
Joined: Nov 19, 2006
Location: Under the Crimson Air

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:10 pm

Shipping is pretty much customary in a fan community. You'll be hard pressed to find any fanfic or doujin worth looking at that doesn't revolve around one pairing. Don't say Eva-R though, because i've read it, and it's stupid bullshit. I admit that I was somewhat biased against ReTake because I swing the other way for Eva shipping, but I think I mostly hated the unrealistic extremities of the author's Shinji and Asuka and the changing around of events so those extremities could be met.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar
Age: 46
Posts: 11808
Joined: Dec 26, 2005
Location: Pittsburgh/New York City
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Ornette » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:48 pm

I don't ship, I don't even think, within the series, any "love" was involved between the 3 children, ever. IMO shipping in Evangelion is either wishful thinking or something that belongs in fanfiction.

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1116
Joined: Nov 19, 2006
Location: Under the Crimson Air

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:10 pm

Yep. Shipping isn't a huge part of Evangelion in particular. But if it's a fan work, you're still going to find ships at every corner.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."


Return to “Fandom Area”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest