Comic Books?

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:22 am

Whoa. That would be mind-blowing if that's the case - Thought didn't even occur to me, haha. There are a few scenes we see of her away from Marc though, like the phone call to the New Avengers to see what the deal with MK is (To which Ms Marvel's response; LOL).

Bomby: I haven't read the Scott Pilgrom series, sad to say. Only seen the movie. Sorry I can't help man! Though, if you're looking for some good books to dig into, I'm sure we can list away, haha.

New post: So I wanna talk about The Hypernaturals for a bit...

I've only just read #3 but I'm absolutely hooked. Seriously. I'm amazed at how much content DNA have gotten in so far. Not just story/narrative-wise either. I'm talking history, setting, atmosphere/aesthetic. The whole GD thing. Very impressive. They've taken full advantage, this being an indie comic, with all the ads being in-universe. We see promotions to sign-up or try out for the Hypernaturals program and at the end of each issue there's clippings from news pieces with interviews with characters or companies - Giving us more on the side that helps build the story as a whole.

I've really gotten behind the characters so far too. I'm hanging to find out more about Clone 45 and Creena's past. Thinkwell is brilliant. He could be an awesome X-Man, haha.

Two interesting points:
1. The book has potential to do some crazy things on a few levels. DNA have lain down some threads that can be used to rock the hell out of the story should they choose to do so. It's going to get interesting...
2. I like how their arch-nemesis would be considered a hero by our own ethical/moral standards. Very cool, hehe.

Funny thing too is that if you check out reviews for this book - They either love it or hate it. That can be a good thing, I guess, haha. I guess the art is kind lackluster at times but... What can you do?

In other news I got my hands on the trades of the first New 52 Swamp Thing and Teen Titans trades. Want to get to reading them real soon but I'm so flat out busy ATM.

Work sucks. Why the fuck can there not be more hours in the week!
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Rj123541
Leliel
Leliel

Postby Rj123541 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:28 pm

I have not read any comics but my mom is friends with a comic collecting maniac who has millions of dollars in comic books. We also have some of the Batman Grendel comics,Superman,and so on. But I haven't read them yet they are just in their plastic comic bag...
logic.
ロジック
Avatar: "Irelia", my top lane masterpiece.

Jayfive
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Jayfive » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:01 pm

Well ive been reading various volumes of 'Crossed' today.

Its....tough going.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:29 am

Picked up a batch of the DC New 52 zero issues today (Batman, Animal Man, Earth-2) and some stuff I got over the last week and a bit:
Teen Titans volume 1, It's Our Right To Fight
Swamp Thing volume 1, Raise Them Bones
X-23 volume 1, The Killing Dream
X-23 volume 2, Chaos Theory

Also finished the Dark Angel Saga in Uncanny X-Force, which arrived in trade today. One of, if not the, best X-Men story I've read (Yet). Emotional resonance, the action (Fucking awesome...), the characters and just how well it draws on the mythos and AOA content. I almost cried at the last bit. Seriously. That sad. Also, Opena back on art. TEARS. OF. JOY.

If Opena had drawn all the stories up to this point, UXF would be near perfection.
Warren Peace, #643919

SpearofLonginus
Lilith

Postby SpearofLonginus » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:19 pm

If manga counts there's several... Angel Sanctuary, Confidential Confessions, Ghosttalker's Daydream, Death Note, Bakuman,...

But normal comics-wise the only one I read is Hellblazer. My wife reads a lot of Lucifer and Gaiman-centered works. I really like Spiderman but I've never read the comics.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:59 am

Yeah manga still counts, I guess. Comics are comics - I'm too lazy to post in the specified sub-forum, so all my manga related posting is going to go in here, haha. A couple series I'm reading ATM:
20th Century Boys
Gantz
Pluto: Urasawa x Tezuka
Vagabond
Real

Eagerly awaiting the next volumes of the latter two from Inoue. I'd like something new from Nihei soon as well...

Oh and when I was at the comic-book store the other day, I practically got offered a job for when they start hiring some staff (Whenever that is). Hopefully sooner than later!
Warren Peace, #643919

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

Postby DevRei17 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:17 am

View Original PostBomby von Bombsville wrote:Alright... so I'm not a big comic guy, but does anyone know anything similar to the Scott Pilgrim series that's worth reading?

Ghost World, maybe?

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:18 am

Uncanny X-Men volume 1
Writer: Kieron Gillen
Artist: Carlos Pacheco

Finally picked this up the other day and one of my first X-books in the post-Schism paradigm (Excluding UXF and a couple of other issues, here and there). After the events of Schism, the X-Men are basically torn into two factions - One staying with Cyke on Utopia off San Fransico, the other leaving with Wolverine to rebuild the school out East. The relaunched Uncanny title follows the former, detailing the exploits of what Cyclops refers to as his Extinction Team (Dealing with "extinction level threats" to both mutant and humankind).

It is important noting that this is probably one of the most powerful X-Men team line-ups to date; Cyclops, Emma Frost, Storm, Magneto, Namor, Colossus, Magik, Hope Summers and Danger, all on the same roster. This is a team to rival, if not even out-do, the Avengers in terms of sheer power/potential - The idea of which is firmly supported by the narrative.

Getting straight to the nitty-gritty, this book is awesome. Crisp, beautiful art complimented by spot-on tight dialogue and story. Within the first few pages we get a nice update on the current status-quo for the Utopia team, followed swiftly by action as the arc kicks into gear. There's lots of fighting here but there is also enough 'slow' moments to give the book an ideal pace.

I'm very impressed with how well Gillen has portrayed each member of the team as well. I couldn't fault a single sentence throughout and the back and forth quip between characters is seamless. These are the X-Men I know and love. Not being able to put aside my bias towards this faction of the split; I felt at home with this book, haha. Even though it feels tinged with radicalism or extremism at times (Something about reading Cyclops' written statement feel dangerous and foreboding), I empathise with this side the most, even though the Yellow Team got all the 'good books'.

The one downside is that this iteration of the Uncanny title is already ending with the events of AVX, possibly to be relaunched again in the future at some point. In tangent, even though it sucks to know where this series is heading, or how it's going to end, I'm still looking forward to what the stories will bring in the next few trades.

Great X-Men book all up.

New post: Oh wow. First New 52 Swamp Thing trade is ruling hard so far. Snyder must have read up so much on botany, biology and shit, haha. Book is so smart, it's mind-boggling! I'll make sure to post some thoughts about it afterwards.

Another new post: Some thoughts on the new Swamp Thing trade.

Swamp Thing volume 1
Writer: Scott Snyder
Art: Yanick Paquette

Smart book...

Paquette's art is amazing and superbly consistent throughout, never failing to miss the mark. There were some panels where I felt the focus was a little bizarre though, maybe even off at times, but the feel is intentional as it's done alongside the exposition. Looking at the cover above, the art is like that within the book as well. Imagine that for every page. Yeah. Cool, huh?

Scott Snyder is on writing duties and like I said, he's done his research. Alec Holland, the main character, is a scientist (A biologist working in the bio-restorative field, to be exact) and the science is a huge part of the story/narrative. Snyder doesn't let that down by backing up Holland's dialogue with botany know-it-all. This book is smart and gives the reader insight into the world of plants and by proxy of the story; The Green.

Now commending Snyder's research on the "science" factor wasn't the only thing I was getting at here. He also has the tricky job of working Swamp Thing's own history/continuity into the DC New 52. I know nothing of this, as this is the first Swamp Thing book I've ever read, but Swampy was originally part of DC's Vertigo imprint (More on that here). Snyder successfully validates Alec Holland's and Swamp Thing's past, whilst wiping the slate clean enough for the New 52. I can't really mention how that's done without spoiling the book too much but yeah; he pulls it off without confusing new readers such as myself, haha.

This initial arc sets Swampy up against The Rot, which runs parallel with what's happening in Animal Man, as Swamp Thing is to The Green what Animal Man is to The Red. Following Animal Man in direct edition/comic-book format, we've already got up to the start of the cross-over between the two titles but even so - It's great to read this part of the story. Very much a two sides of the same coin kind of deal.

The thing that sucks is that it ends on a cliffhanger of sorts and being a 'tradewaiter' for the most part, I'm going to have to WAIT for the second paperback to drop, haha. Oh well.

Anyway, this book has really gotten me excited about some of the New 52 stuff (In addition to Animal Man and Batman). I'm wondering what other books are going to be as enjoyable as this. I also started the first Teen Titans trade the other day. I'm about four or five issues into it and it's great fun so far. Tim Drake (Red Robin) is awesome. The winged costume sucks balls though - Booth's original design would've been way better:
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/09/30/brett-booths-new-look-for-red-robin/

New post, again: Went to the post office for the first time in about a month the other day and I had two crates of shit from Book Depository UK waiting, haha. Trades I bought with my birthday money and stuff. So stoked though, heaps of good books I want to read. Going to smash them this weekend, I think. In there was...
-FF volume 1
-Avengers Academy volume 1
-More Punisher MAX
-Wolverine and the X-Men volume 1
-X-Men: Supernovas
-And much, much more.

I grabbed Batman #13 and Uncanny Avengers #1 from the store today as well. Stoked about 'Death of the Family' and also excited that the Marvel NOW! stuff is starting to drop. Pretty sure I'm picking up next to all the titles out of that. Well, not all of them, but nearly...
-Indestructible Hulk
-Avengers
-Uncanny Avengers (As mentioned).
-All-New X-Men
-X-Men Legacy
-Young Avengers
-The Superior Spider-Man
-Cable and X-Force

Thunderbolts looks pretty cool too, but only because the whole team is colour-themed red.

Oh and after AVX; "Cyclops was right". Big whoop otherwise.
Warren Peace, #643919

TomasJC
Tunniel

Postby TomasJC » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:52 am

View Original PostC.A.P. wrote:-GG-Guys (really for the drawings though, not the content)

Wow, I'm surprised anyone on this forum has even heard of GG Guys before.
Anyway, my favourites:

The only superhero comics I ever really read we're Batman and Watchmen. But because of availability (and because of my fanwanking) I had a large collection of Bongo's Simpsons Comics. But my all time favourites are Tintin, Asterix, The Walking Dead, Scott Pilgrim, and Maus.

MANGA:
-Dragonball
-Naruto (A looong time ago)
-Anything by Osamu Tezuka
-A few EVA related works
-Barefoot Gen

And that's all I can think of right now (I know there's many more manga, but probably too many insignificant ones, and these are the ones that had a large impact on me.)

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:00 pm

Finally got around to reading Hawkeye #2. Brilliant. Daredevil continues to be a great read as well.

I'm going to be starting a reread of Carey's X-Men/X-Men: Legacy stuff this weekend. Looking forward to it. I've probably already mentioned it but it's, like, some of my most favourite X-Men stuff ever. First book is Supernovas. If you like the X-Men, you need to read this book.
Last edited by Blue Monday on Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Warren Peace, #643919

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:31 pm

Anybody read Deadpool?
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:41 pm

I'm thinking about trying the new Marvel NOW! Deadpool book. I know my brother is getting it, so I'll see what he reckons beforehand. He is in Uncanny X-Force though, and that's one of my favourite comics of recent times. Sucks it's coming to an end. Deadpool is brilliant in it. Very funny and deadly at the same time.

If it's your first time reading the character, the Deadpool Classic collections are apparently where it's at. Those and the Cable and Deadpool collections. I want those but they're expensive.
Warren Peace, #643919

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:44 pm

Thanks. I am new to American comic books and I found deadpool funny so I'm starting there.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:20 am

Finished up my re-read of X-Men: Supernovas. Brilliant, brilliant book. Bachalo art (Most of the time), superbly written characters, an awesome and unique team line-up, and a great plot(s)[?]. Should be plural, as it's three arcs that kind of run as the one, if you know what I mean. Oh, not to mention the fact that it's Rogue leading her own reactionary strike-force of X-Men, and Sabretooth's in it!

Like I said:

If you like the X-Men, you need to read this book.

Read #3 of Hawkeye. Funniest comic I've read to date. I seriously had stitches and tears running down my face from laughing so hard, and difficulty catching my breath. It pulled on a joke from the first issue brilliantly, which made me read the dialogue in-character out loud, haha. Also, the art is great and Kate Bishop (The other Hawkeye) and the other chick in this issue are really sexy.

Anyway, I'll just leave this here:

SPOILER: Show
Started the new Daredevil: End of Days limited series as well. It's Bendis and Mack back on DD, so what's not to like. As the title implies, it's recounting the story of Daredevil's 'fall from grace' and untimely death (Which is shown in one of the very first pages of the book). So far it's really gritty and has that awesome tone the entire Bendis run had on the title during his tenure. Looking forward to the rest of it, very much so.

Anyone else reading or read anything interesting lately? I'm going to try out the first FF trade next. It looks like a good one. I also need to continue working through The Stack.

Edit: So basically Bendis' other X-book will be the new Uncanny X-Men title, and with Chris Bachalo on art? "Fuck yeah", says I. Here's to hoping for some crazy radical Cyclops action with the remaining Extinction Team.
Warren Peace, #643919

MassiveInvader
Adam

Postby MassiveInvader » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:05 am

I mostly read D.C comics. My favorite comic of all time is Midnight Nation. I like what D.C is doing with the new 52, except the dark knight comics.I'm not too picky when it comes to comic books. I don't like how there are so many batman comic books that are based off of the whole entire "Everybody breaks out of Arkhem Asylum" plot, they use it WAY too much.
I will respect your opinion if you respect mine.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:18 am

You reading Snyder's Batman? Death of the Family is going to be huge. The whole run has been fucking awesome so far actually - I'm really hoping this creative stays on board for a good long while.
Warren Peace, #643919

MassiveInvader
Adam

Postby MassiveInvader » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:05 am

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:You reading Snyder's Batman? Death of the Family is going to be huge. The whole run has been fucking awesome so far actually - I'm really hoping this creative stays on board for a good long while.
cool i'll try my best to check it out. :w00:
I will respect your opinion if you respect mine.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:37 am

OH GOD PLEASE YES!

"Looks like the cats out of the bag. Its me an Bendis on a new launch of the series. This was a tough one as i was really enjoying my time on WX but Brian asked for me to help him launch the new Uncanny and how do you turn down that offer. Launches are tough as there's a lot of ground to cover to get things rolling. Characters are re-imagined, writing styles adjusted to, locations established. Its a tough learning curve that typically takes a few issues to figure out and grow comfortable with. We're still very early into the creative part so hard for me to comment on exactly what to expect. The daring part is that the tone of the book--feels like, its early--will be a little darker. Characters powers have been 'adjusted" as a result of the Phoenix five fall out and I was asked to redesign costumes for the entire cast. Everyone. Plus, as of today, there are two "new" mutants. Its a big jump that I'm sure will turn a few off but, we're betting on, that most will welcome and enjoy. One thing that you can count on Is that Brian will always give you something worth reading. He never fails to be interesting. Launch is two issues in February. LMK how I'm doing.

Best!

CB"

Link.

Update: UXM confirmed.

SPOILER: Show
Apparently Scott and Emma are Splitsville too. Kind of sucks, as they're great together.
Just came back from the comic-book store - Picked up #1-4 of AVX: Consequences, as it sets up the new UXM apparently. The owner also lent me #1-12 of AVX. That'll keep me busy tonight along with issues of Daredevil and Talon.

New post: Guys, I read Batman The Black Mirror. GO OUT RIGHT NOW AND GET YOURSELVES THIS BOOK. Seriously. I grabbed the deluxe hardcover while I was in Japan, and I don't usually do HCs (tradewaiter all the way, mostly). The fact that the folks at Books Kinokuniya had laminated it perfectly helped sell it to me, hehe.

Best Batman book I've read and it's not even Bruce as Bats; it's Dicky-Boy, which only makes it whole more levels of awesome. It is Snyder's run on Detective before the DC New 52 reboot, and it has absolutely everything I love about Batman in it. Just get it. Seriously, haha.

Anyway...

Ended up reading the first Wolverine & the X-Men trade on the flight over too. Nice, fun read. Kind of like all the good stuff from the Morrison New X-Men run, but better. Plus, drawn by Bachalo as well and you all probably know he's one of my favourite artists by now.

Redtophat
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Redtophat » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:50 am

I read a bit of Batman, the more popular ones (Killing Joke, year one, Hush, etc...), and I've gotten to issue #100 of the walking dead (The show is such a horrible adaption).

arkiel
Lilin
Lilin

Postby arkiel » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:12 am

The New Deadwardians was a satisfying book.
The Doctor Who / Star Trek crossover is going pretty well, too, but still ongoing.
The Boys wrapped up pretty mechanically.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”