Fan service

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
AuthenticM
Shamshel
Shamshel

Fan service

•      
  •      

Postby AuthenticM » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:42 pm

Given that Rebuild is a collection of 4 movies which will hit theaters first, instead of cable, and that Gainax is known for including a lot of fan service in their works (Re: Cutie Honey comes to mind), do you think that there will be a lot in them movies? If you compare EoE to the series, we see Rei completely naked, whereas in the series, not (no nipples, to say the least). Hell, we even see her two of her vaginas.

I hope they don't include too much of it, or else it might take away some of the seriousness of the show. But I wouldn't mind seeing little things here and there. :wink:
In my case, I refuse to go easy on the ignorant, regardless of degree. Hitler was ignorant. Joshua C. Whatshisface is ignorant. To me, they're in the same category of ignorant and stupid people who should have been left in some isolated corner of the world where they couldn't bother anyone. --The Eva Monkey

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:33 am

I don't care if there's nudity, so long as there's a reason for it. I'm not a big fan of fan service, it falls in the realm of levity and silliness that I think doesn't fit the tonality of the series as a whole.

EVA Does It Best
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby EVA Does It Best » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:47 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:I don't care if there's nudity, so long as there's a reason for it. I'm not a big fan of fan service, it falls in the realm of levity and silliness that I think doesn't fit the tonality of the series as a whole.

fan service can in fact be very positive, for example, thanks to the fan community the movie version of LOTR actually came out very very good, not that it was just them, but i think that sight from the fan community definately helped.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:15 am

EVA Does It Best wrote:
The Eva Monkey wrote:I don't care if there's nudity, so long as there's a reason for it. I'm not a big fan of fan service, it falls in the realm of levity and silliness that I think doesn't fit the tonality of the series as a whole.

fan service can in fact be very positive, for example, thanks to the fan community the movie version of LOTR actually came out very very good, not that it was just them, but i think that sight from the fan community definately helped.

Buh? You are familiar with what we're talking about, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_service

master0rolando
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby master0rolando » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:20 am

Nekid Rei in EoE didnt seem to be a fanservice thing...

the Bathhouse scene was...the Rei, Asuka, Shinji eating Ramen scene was...

the whole concept of fanservice kinda defeats the main theme and tone of the show...i suppose the plug-suits themselves are fanservicy...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Fan service

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:35 am

AuthenticM wrote:Given that Rebuild is a collection of 4 movies

Three movies. The last one consists of two parts like EoE.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:51 am

AuthenticM wrote:If you compare EoE to the series, we see Rei completely naked, whereas in the series, not (no nipples, to say the least). Hell, we even see her two of her vaginas.

Wait, Rei had how many vagina's!?!

Although fanservice would take down the tone of the entire film, I feel that there are going to be a couple of moments at least. The first movies going to be dealing with the time in the series where it occured the most, no?
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:03 am

The Bastard King wrote:Wait, Rei had how many vagina's!?!

We see 3 in EoE, one on each palm and one on her forehead.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

friedrice
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby friedrice » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:40 am

Mr. Tines wrote:
The Bastard King wrote:Wait, Rei had how many vagina's!?!

We see 3 in EoE, one on each palm and one on her forehead.

Wow. I never thought of it that way before. You gave me a new perspective of EoE. Thanks for screwing my mind even more.

Dascoo
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Dascoo » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:40 am

Only if it's neccessary, like in the beginning of EoE. It showed how freaking desperate Shinji was.

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:30 am

EoE-Fuckupedness is one thing, but forced crap like accidentaly tripping and ending up with you penis inside someone isn't plausible, just the same kind of forced crap that detracts from anime as a whole. I hope they'll take this serious enough to avoid that.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:48 am

friedrice wrote:Thanks for screwing my mind even more.

Glad to be of service. More on that topic here: http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=395

As for other fan-service. There's always the tried and tested Gainax standby Image

These days, though. traps, reverse traps and girl/girl innuendo seem to be the major elements of fan-service; so we would have to rework things so that the Tokyo-3 school is an exclusive girls' academy, and Shinji has to drag-up in the classroom scenes, with much hilarity ensuing.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:49 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:so we would have to rework things so that the Tokyo-3 school is an exclusive girls' academy, and Shinji has to drag-up in the classroom scenes, with much hilarity ensuing.

Otome wa Onee-sama ni Koi Shiteru anyone?

Darius
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Darius » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:44 pm

I don't mind at all a bit of fan service here and there...but not too much and especially not to the point of sex (unless it's relevant to the plot...like Re-Take)

But, it's gonna be in theatres so I doubt there will be enough to go past the 13+ rating

However, wether it's official or not, I have a feeling that there will be an explosion of Eva fan service when those movies are released

EVA Does It Best
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby EVA Does It Best » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:30 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:
EVA Does It Best wrote:

Buh? You are familiar with what we're talking about, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_service

oops, i'm not too familiar with the anime community, sorry.

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:03 am

AuthenticM wrote:Given that Rebuild is a collection of 4 movies which will hit theaters first, instead of cable, and that Gainax is known for including a lot of fan service in their works (Re: Cutie Honey comes to mind), do you think that there will be a lot in them movies? If you compare EoE to the series, we see Rei completely naked, whereas in the series, not (no nipples, to say the least). Hell, we even see her two of her vaginas.

I hope they don't include too much of it, or else it might take away some of the seriousness of the show. But I wouldn't mind seeing little things here and there. :wink:

After EoE I extremely doubt it.
I won.

Rahaquiel-2D1S
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Rahaquiel-2D1S » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:36 am

TITS OR GTFO.

Beat ya to it, MaggotMaster.
Haunted dolls? If Rozen Maiden ever taught us anything it would be to look under it's dress.

<No animated GIF in sig, please. -Admin>

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:23 pm

Fan-service, regardless of the kind (giving fans what they want. ie: Three Children eating ramen together (that was soo cute. Rei was eating fast, lol) or the "naughty bits" (ZOMG! Kaworu vagina-palms!) is okay by me. As long as Misato promises and delivers, I'll be happy! :mrgreen:

By the way, is it true the last two movies will only be 45 mins long? PLEASE let that be bullcrap and Gainax'll make it longer! How the frig is that enough time for Rebuild: 03 to cram ideas from EoTV and EoE?!? :shock: ...Quantam Magic?

[url]http://novastorm.animeblogger.net/rebuild-of-evangelion/[/url] wrote:With 9-9-06 (8:55AM EDT)—- Further Evangelion Shin Gekijou Ban Details

Newtype’s scoop out in Japan this weekend the floodgates of inquiry on the 4 new Evangelion movies have apparently opened wide. While the Newtype information is new to general public, like most print magazines the material was most likely put together several weeks to a month in advance of publication. In that time new things with story have happened and Sankei Shimbun has interesting new information on the project already. First off they mention the original 3 Eva films made 4.5 billion Yen in total at the Japanese boxoffice. The manga published by Kadokawa Shoten has exceeded 15 million copies sold over the existing 10 volumes. Videos and DVD’s sold exceed 4.5 million copies and about 30 billion Yen. Total goods sales exceeds 100 billion Yen. While the overall project is being called “Evangelion Shin Gekijou Ban” as mentioned in Newtype, the individual films are being titled “REBUILD OF EVANGELION”. The First Volume, REBUILD OF EVANGELION:01 is due out in early summer 2007 it will have an estimated running time of 90 minutes. The Second Part, REBUILD OF EVANGELION:02 is expected in January 2008, also with a running time of 90 minutes. The Latter Part + Last Program of the series, REBUILD OF EVANGELION:03-04 are expected in early summer (possibly June) of 2008, they will have an estimated length of 45 minutes each. Additionally, ANS has learned the 3rd part (Latter Part) (which corresponds to the events of the movies and episodes 25 and 26 of the TV series) and the 4th “Last Program” will be mostly new stories and material. Parts 1-3 will use some key animation sequences from the original TV series, with new backgrounds (settings) and music.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:37 am

Remember, the last 2 movies are being released as 1, like EoE

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•