What are you currently playing? [3]

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

[Video Games] What are you currently playing? [3]

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:37 pm

Continued from

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:Why bother? If it's a lie, and we all know it, then do away with it, devote that memory instead towards making the game more filled out.

And keep in mind the original point is not CGI, but music. You can carefully tailor music to a game that's linear and narratively constructed, but you won't get those set piece experiences in an open-ended game. Themes like those are functionally useless, and makes promises the game itself cannot keep.

Most games do not, if they did, I would expect more games to rated by PC Gamer in the 80% range at least.

Hell, even most MMOs aren't great, The Sims Online? Star Wars Galaxies? Mercenary Wars? Red War? From small and big companies alike, the crap outnumbers the good. Sturgeon's Law, 'nuff said.

I expect the game to advertise itself as what goes on in-game as exactly what's on the tin. Don't act as if this is strange, KOTOR II did it, CGI was used only to augment the game, e.g. cutscenes, there was no intro trailer, and the music served its utility perfectly. No long-winded epics of adventures that await and treasures lost, but music meant to to put you on edge and realize "darkness is near". Indeed, given the intro level, this was probably the closest Star Wars ever came to Silent Hill.

If all of them had pointy-eared people making hand gestures and hailed as vestiges of "reason", yes they would be.

Dwarves as craftsmen, Orcs as adversaries, Elves as ancient wisemen etc. Fantasy is no more real than Star Trek, so why are the races so much more limited? Because writers are afraid to step out of established molds. At best, they'll take those same races, and give them different names, or add one or two unique races at the periphery.

The lack of originality in this regard is an established trope, there's not much point in denying it.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

CJD
Banned

Re: Let me show you my pokemans [Vidya thread 3]

Postby CJD » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:13 pm

Why bother? If it's a lie, and we all know it, then do away with it, devote that memory instead towards making the game more filled out.

Because people enjoy it? People WANT to see kick ass CG trailers for their games. It's why Blizzard's WoW expansion trailers get so much hype not just for the game, but for the trailer itself. People actively look forward to the WoW trailers because Blizzard, for all their current faults, does trailers pretty kick ass.

And keep in mind the original point is not CGI, but music. You can carefully tailor music to a game that's linear and narratively constructed, but you won't get those set piece experiences in an open-ended game.

You can if you restrict the music to only playing at an appropriate time, again, pretty common.

Most games do not, if they did, I would expect more games to rated by PC Gamer in the 80% range at least.

Hell, even most MMOs aren't great, The Sims Online? Star Wars Galaxies? Mercenary Wars? Red War? From small and big companies alike, the crap outnumbers the good. Sturgeon's Law, 'nuff said.

Oh come the hell on, don't be that guy. Ok, fine, "Most AAA games have depth".

I expect the game to advertise itself as what goes on in-game as exactly what's on the tin.

They. Already. Do. That. The only discrepancy is CGI hype trailers, and as I've already established they make no promises to you, their intent is purely to generate hype.

The lack of originality in this regard is an established trope, there's not much point in denying it.

I'm not denying the lack of originality, I'm denying your sweeping generalization that because it fits that trope it's a clone. That's bollocks.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:40 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:You can if you restrict the music to only playing at an appropriate time, again, pretty common.

What, by turning it off? Having to do that alone takes you out of the experience. The music should compliment the atmosphere, sell the game as exactly as you would experience it. Control is certainly an option to have, but that shouldn't be necessary to get the music to match what you're doing.

View Original PostCJD wrote:They. Already. Do. That.

Then why are you even bothering to argue? You admit then this is a faulty practice. I'm only saying; get rid of the remaining exceptions, there's better ways to use those resources, and there's more fitting forms of music to create.

These tactics are holdovers from films, from linear, static experiences. Games however, MMOs in particular are far more open-ended and visceral, you have to deliver on the experience you imply, or it feels like a cheat. The entire point of role-playing is to live the experience, not feel as if it happens in some far off stage you have no access to.

Once again, KOTOR II actually does quite I suggest. The trailer is more utility than flair, it sells the game exactly as what it is. Well, except for the bugs.

View Original PostCJD wrote:I'm not denying the lack of originality, I'm denying your sweeping generalization that because it fits that trope it's a clone. That's bollocks.

Don't get angry at me for the word you chose, I said knocking it off, and in terms of the premise, yeah, clearly they're doing that.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Quadhonk
Shamshel
Shamshel

[Video Games] What are you currently playing? [3]

Postby Quadhonk » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:47 am

New Last of Us trailer.

This is week two of Guild Wars 2 for me. I'm having a good time so far. It seems to be mostly exploring, not questing. Still an interesting expereience. Playing a Mesmer is too much fun.
Last edited by Quadhonk on Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's difficult in times like these; ideals, dreams and cherished hopes rise within us, only to be crushed by grim reality.
It's a wonder I haven't abandoned all my ideals, they seem so absurd and impractical.
Yet I cling to them because I believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart.
- Anne Frank (21 July 1944)

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Justacrazyguy » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:00 am

Heavy Rain: Why am I playing this again? I mean, I almost went nuts after hearing JASON! for the 100th time.

I guess I just can´t get enough of that music.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Jayfive » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:01 am

Pootling about in Minecraft (anyone planning to go to Minecon btw?), getting annoyed at Super Street Fighter 4 even on easy, just got Kerbal Space Program but im going to have to replace my graphics card from 1gb to 2gb to play it (and a fair few other things) properly.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:15 am

Started playing Minecraft, and started a new world for the occasion. I spent only an hour, and I am uncertain if I will play this world again. I am left with a rather strong feeling that I won't be able to get back into it again unless I find or play with a community of people, as it is just too... empty... playing by myself. That, and playing it by myself reminds me of some of the time watch people play it on youtube, a habbit which I dropped a few months ago and have no intention of revisiting for some time.

---

Also, could the title of this thread pleased be changed to that of the previous threads?
Voluntary Illusion.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

They're made of candy. B)

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:02 am

^ What, you don't like how Mr. Tines has gone all Bill Cosby on us? :lol:
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:52 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:What, by turning it off? Having to do that alone takes you out of the experience.

You're quite wrong on that one. Great example in how to do this: In Aion the typical BGM is very orchestral, slower. The moment you enter combat something like this starts playing. It also ends after you exit combat to no problem. A good audio director can do this no problem. Damnit Aion, why was your audio so good for a game so not good.

Then why are you even bothering to argue? You admit then this is a faulty practice. I'm only saying; get rid of the remaining exceptions, there's better ways to use those resources, and there's more fitting forms of music to create.

I'm admitting false advertising is a faulty practice. The difference is you have an over broad concept of what constitutes "False Advertising" in the video game industry. Stop confusing CGI trailers with false advertising.

Once again, KOTOR II actually does quite I suggest. The trailer is more utility than flair, it sells the game exactly as what it is. Well, except for the bugs.

You do know there's more than one way to successfully go about something, right? Just because Obsidian did it good your way doesn't mean every other way is wrong.

----------------

More Rift. Resubbed on Friday and I'm already getting lost in it again. Only downside is that I'm going to have a lot of trouble finding a raiding guild that doesn't suck. Currently decked out in pretty much the best gear possible from T1 raiding and one or two pieces from T2. My thought process going in was "Oh hey, I'm decked out in best in slot T1, I'll have no problem finding a spot in a top tier guild," then I logged in and saw the gear and dps of top tier players and realized "Oh fuck, I'm decked out in best in slot T1, I'm going to have a lot of problems finding a guild." Doesn't help how much the game has changed since I last played and that the pet spec is, from what I've found, the best dps spec for Rogues. Debating just breezing through these last two months and diving into T1/T4 once the expansion launches to get a new start but damned if I don't want to finish those raid tiers I'm missing.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:39 am

View Original PostCJD wrote:You're quite wrong on that one.

You listed ATMOSPHERE music, not a damn theme. For f*cks sake, Earth & Beyond does this too, as did both KOTOR games.

Any vocals? Any build up, with a noticeable hooks and climax? Uh, no, this is the very example of music you could play in a non-ending chain and hardly tell if you were at the end or middle of the loop.

View Original PostCJD wrote:I'm admitting false advertising is a faulty practice. The difference is you have an over broad concept of what constitutes "False Advertising" in the video game industry. Stop confusing CGI trailers with false advertising.

See this? Old Republic, shows people manning the cannons in the ship, something you could do in Star Wars Galaxies. However, this is the space combat in Old Republic.

False Advertisement? Oh yes. And the ship free flying, and the Jedi grappling with a single and double-bladed lightsaber....

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:56 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:False Advertisement? Oh yes

No it's not because it, again, makes no promises. The entire point is to get people hyped for the game and it did that. I reiterate: No one watches CGI trailers and thinks 'THIS IS HOW THE GAME WILL BE!' Apparently you have trouble distinguishing between the two. With that, I'm done. This isn't ever going to end and I have no interest in continuing it any further.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Fine. Bl

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:11 am

^ Yes it is, it advertises an experience you cannot get in-game.

CGI doesn't always lie, nor does music, sometimes even they stick to only what you get, but here it clearly is going beyond the premise and I'm saying; stop the damn teasing. If you had to reach beyond your own game's means to create hype, then you should have made a better game.

CJD
Banned

Re: Fine. Bl

Postby CJD » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:04 am

^ Yes it is, it advertises an experience you cannot get in-game.

No, it doesn't. It's a hype trailer, it's CGI. It's like a teaser trailer. Again: Stop confusing the two. False advertising would be if they said "This is what you get if you buy the game!"

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:35 am

View Original PostCJD wrote:No, it doesn't. It's a hype trailer, it's CGI. It's like a teaser trailer.

It's the intro trailer. More than any other, it's supposed to advertise the experience of the game, but instead it overreaches, as space combat as they input it, sucks, and SWG and the films were iconic for them.

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:14 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:It's the intro trailer. More than any other, it's supposed to advertise the experience of the game

Intro trailer? You mean it's an ingame cinematic? The no, it's supposed to tell the prelude to the narrative from a non interactive standpoint, and the moment you interactivity video games immediately fall far behind other mediums in terms of storytelling, at which point the question becomes "Why NOT use CGI for our cinematic?"

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:45 pm

Another day in the field, many good lives lost.
Kinda like real war but less fun

ran1
Banned

Postby ran1 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:04 pm

well, that lobby looks pretty Finnish
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:19 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Another day in the field, many good lives lost.
Kinda like real war but less fun

I should play with you guys but that requires reinstalling TF2, how's TF2 right now anyway? I haven't properly played in years.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:29 pm

It's a fucking mess at all times, but yet I always come back for more.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:34 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:It's a fucking mess at all times, but yet I always come back for more.

Good enough reason to come back for me. If I do, I'll probably Pyro like I used to.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”