Why do you people like Rei so much?

This is a forum for casual discussion of Evangelion. Topics like "Asuka is hot!" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?" belong here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot
User avatar
Age: 42
Posts: 2020
Joined: Jun 21, 2004
Location: Land of 11,842 Lakes
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Hunter21 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:23 pm

Evangelionfreak wrote: But my one friend says that a lot of anime/Evangelion fans think that theyre emo and some people think Rei is emo so they like Rei b/c she is like them. Doesnt make much sence to me.
Rei is about as opposite of emo as one can be. Emo people aren't all gothic and quiet they are generally all over the emotional scale. You need to smack those friends over the back of the head and set them straight.

As for Rei, I like her. I like most of the other characters much better but when it comes to the blue haired wonder I just see someone who doesn't understand emotions more than one who doesn't have any.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Quiddity
Lilith
Posts: 132
Joined: Jun 21, 2004
Location: Boston, MA
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Quiddity » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:23 pm

As has already been discussed, the popularity of Rei over Asuka and Misato despite not being as attractive as them comes down to one simple thing. The fact that she's a robot who does whatever Gendou will tell her to do (even kill herself! see ep22 :P). Horny teenage male fans therefore thing she'd do anything they want with them, sexually. It all comes down to that. Rei isn't as attractive as Misato or Asuka (or Maya, who IMHO is the hottest Eva female), and has no personality whatsoever, but that simple fact makes her one of the most popular anime females out there.
"Quiddity is the sea. And in it are islands, called the Ephemeris. Three dips in the dream-sea. Any less, and we'd be insane. Any more and we wouldn't be human"

master0rolando
Ireul
Ireul
User avatar
Posts: 677
Joined: Jul 28, 2006

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby master0rolando » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:59 pm

Quiddity wrote:(or HIKARI, who IMHO is the hottest EvaR female)


fxd noob...

Darius
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 137
Joined: Aug 10, 2006
Location: Quebec, Canada

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Darius » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:38 pm

Well, I must admit Rei is cute...so cute in fact that if she had a decent personality she probably would be the favourite by far...but that is not the case.

I am an Asuka fan since I can relate to her (a lot!) and because I discovered Eva as a kid because of her (as I've said) =D.

But, if you were to contest them through importance, I believe that Rei is slightly more (if not way more) important to the story (more specifically to Shinji) than Asuka...that's what I assume.

Bottom line though, Asuka is better (in my opinion)

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1116
Joined: Nov 19, 2006
Location: Under the Crimson Air

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:15 am

I don't really blame her for living the kind of life she does. It's the only way she knows how.

For the record, I do not find Rei all that attractive; I liked Rei for her internal struggle for what she really wanted out of life, I certainly appreciated the contrast from Asuka's loud and overbearing personality, and the nuances of a relationship between her and Shinji scattered through the series was cute; in fact, I like that pairing more then Shinji and Asuka (though Shinji and Asuka is set in stone and obviously more implied).

In conclusion...ZoMG TEH Rei isn't all that bad, really...
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

MaggotMaster
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 1270
Joined: Sep 10, 2006
Location: Proletarier aller L

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby MaggotMaster » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:40 am

I agree with Trigger's Elysium, although I'm not personally a fan of Rei/Shinji shipping.

That and Rei is interesting because her character is pretty subtle as opposed to Asuka's in-your-face personality.

Also this:
Image
I'M TRYING TO CONVERT YOU TO COMMUNISM WITH MY GODLESS SOCIALIST INTERNET BRAIN WAVES YOU CAPITALIST PIG DOG

Dascoo
Adam
User avatar
Posts: 92
Joined: Nov 26, 2006

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Dascoo » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:16 am

But tha'ts what makes Asuka so much more interesting...she has like 5 billion personalities.

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1116
Joined: Nov 19, 2006
Location: Under the Crimson Air

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:59 pm

Asuka can be two faced a lot, but she didn't seem to have a billion personalities to me.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

The Bastard King
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 32
Posts: 1236
Joined: Nov 10, 2006
Location: Colby-Sawyer College
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby The Bastard King » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:08 pm

Dascoo wrote:But tha'ts what makes Asuka so much more interesting...she has like 5 billion personalities.


That's only because there's 5 billion Reis in the first place.
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

master0rolando
Ireul
Ireul
User avatar
Posts: 677
Joined: Jul 28, 2006

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby master0rolando » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:27 am

Dascoo wrote:But tha'ts what makes Asuka so much more interesting...she has like 5 billion personalities.


hell yeah...scitzophrenics are sexy...

seriously...the reason Rei is messed up is because she has been denied a sense of neccessity...imagine the thought that if you died...your parents wouldnt cry...it wouldnt bother your kids...your wife/husband,girl/boyfriend wouldn't care...in fact...no one would even notice...because theres a whole tank of replacements downstairs to go in your place...

imagine that...no one would notice if she died...because it wouldn't really matter...

why does she follow orders?...because if she didnt they'd just shoot her and send in a new one...

i think her blushing and being surprised at Shinji cleaning her room...her wincing in pain when she gets hurt...or gritting her teeth when shes applying force in her Eva...is proof if that if she say...didnt know she had clones...shed be a normal behaving girl...(and would probly tell Gendo to stick his Instrumentality plans for her up his ass)...

the reason she listens to Gendo and is going through with his plans must be because thats a pourpose...its her only source of the feeling of neccessity...

I think Rei is relatable to anyone who has ever felt...uneccessary...or insignificant in the world...

CyborgZeta
Adam
User avatar
Posts: 78
Joined: Oct 23, 2006

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby CyborgZeta » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:56 pm

Asuka's arrogance got on my nerves sometimes. Suffice to say. -_-

Rei was my favorite because she was the type that minded her own business and just left people to their business. She's the kind of person that, if married to a man who went off to fight in a war for 5 years and then finally comes back, would say, "Would you like some eggs and bacon?"

Instead of, "What about my needs?! I want a divorce!"
"Without courage all virtues lose their meaning." - Winston Churchill

Themaninblack
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1769
Joined: Nov 19, 2006
Location: IL

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Themaninblack » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:39 am

BobBQ wrote:- Rei isn't a borderline alcoholic.

- Rei isn't a self-loathing wimp.

- Rei isn't an arrogant self-centered bitch.

- Rei isn't a backstabbing double agent.

- Rei isn't a scheming bastard.

- Rei isn't an airheaded jock.

- Rei isn't an enemy in disguise.
vc

Wow Stereotypes galore.



but Eva and Anno MADE most of those archtypes

Themaninblack
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1769
Joined: Nov 19, 2006
Location: IL

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Themaninblack » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:46 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:I for one am not a big fan of Rei. Of the principle characters, I think she is the most one sided and uninteresting. I dislike Rei's popularity sometimes. I dislike that she is the ultimate submissive female, and that plays to the fantasies that some pathetic males have.

I'm more of an Asuka fan myself.

Now That I can agree with as to Rei is a fantasy. That rasies the question (for another thread) Karouw (forgive interweb crappy spelling) being one to. A human who loves Shinji unconditionly

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1116
Joined: Nov 19, 2006
Location: Under the Crimson Air

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:20 am

Themaninblack wrote:
BobBQ wrote:- Rei isn't a borderline alcoholic.

- Rei isn't a self-loathing wimp.

- Rei isn't an arrogant self-centered bitch.

- Rei isn't a backstabbing double agent.

- Rei isn't a scheming bastard.

- Rei isn't an airheaded jock.

- Rei isn't an enemy in disguise.
vc

Wow Stereotypes galore.



but Eva and Anno MADE most of those archtypes


What stupidity. Eva didn't create jocks, enemies in disguise, of self loathing wimp, or double agents, or what the fuck ever. Get some sense, dude.

I don't even know what you're talking about in your other post.

Oh yeah, and 0rolando, I completely agree.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos
User avatar
Posts: 4482
Joined: Jul 21, 2006
Location: Mother Base, Mitakihara Waters
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby BobBQ » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:42 am

Themaninblack wrote:Wow Stereotypes galore.

Not my fault. It was just a roundabout way of saying that Rei isn't Misato, Shinji, Asuka, Kaji, Gendo, Toji or Kaworu.

but Eva and Anno MADE most of those archtypes

WONG.

Analog-Nub
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 6
Joined: Sep 25, 2006
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Fools Of Rei

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Analog-Nub » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:05 pm

I remember I went to a Rei fansite (No prOn from what I seen) while ago and their was a section of why he (or She) likes her soo much. What I'm basically getting at is try to find out why Rei fans likes her so and you should be able to find out why.

Since everyone is saying which eva character they like along with their answers, Gendo Ikari is pretty bad ass. I like the way he thinks except for the crazy parts.

Doesn't matter though because Eureka Seven Characters pwns NGE Characters.

Oh yeah, I went there. 8)

MaggotMaster
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 1270
Joined: Sep 10, 2006
Location: Proletarier aller L

Re: Fools Of Rei

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby MaggotMaster » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:53 pm

Analog-Nub wrote:Doesn't matter though because Eureka Seven Characters pwns NGE Characters.

Oh yeah, I went there. 8)


YEAH LET'S COMPARE AN ANIME THAT'S OVER TEN YEARS OLD AND THAT HAD A RATHER LARGE IMPACT ON ANIMU AS A WHOLE TO A FAIRLY RECENT SERIES SUCH AS EUREKA SEVEN THAT WAS MOST LIKELY INFLUENCED BY EVANGELION.

WHILE WE'RE AT IT, LET'S ALSO COMPARE, SAY, TOOL TO JOHANN SEBASTIAN BACH.

AMIRITE
I'M TRYING TO CONVERT YOU TO COMMUNISM WITH MY GODLESS SOCIALIST INTERNET BRAIN WAVES YOU CAPITALIST PIG DOG

Analog-Nub
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 6
Joined: Sep 25, 2006
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Fools Of Rei

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Analog-Nub » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:00 pm

MaggotMaster wrote:
Analog-Nub wrote:Doesn't matter though because Eureka Seven Characters pwns NGE Characters.

Oh yeah, I went there. 8)


YEAH LET'S COMPARE AN ANIME THAT'S OVER TEN YEARS OLD AND THAT HAD A RATHER LARGE IMPACT ON ANIMU AS A WHOLE TO A FAIRLY RECENT SERIES SUCH AS EUREKA SEVEN THAT WAS MOST LIKELY INFLUENCED BY EVANGELION.

WHILE WE'RE AT IT, LET'S ALSO COMPARE, SAY, TOOL TO JOHANN SEBASTIAN BACH.

AMIRITE


I guess you didn't get my sarcasm. Sorry if I offended you in anyway.

I'll give you that, I've been Obviously following E7 since the beggining and I have noticed the influence towards NGE.

Your right, its more fair to compare E7 to a more recent shows but the reality is that they are both out there.

And about "E7 PWNS EVERYTHING", I enjoyed NGE when I watched it. If I didn't like it that much I wouldn't be posting here and buying the DVDs but I just like Eureka Seven more. NGE copy or not, I just enjoy it much more.

Its just an opinion, thats all.

MaggotMaster
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 1270
Joined: Sep 10, 2006
Location: Proletarier aller L

HA! HA! I AM TYPING IN ALL CAPS!!!1!

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby MaggotMaster » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:05 pm

Analog-Nub wrote:I guess you didn't get my sarcasm. Sorry if I offended you in anyway.


ACTUALLY IT WAS MOST LIKELY YOU WHO DIDN'T GET THE FACT I WAS BEING A CYNICAL ASSHOLE IN MY PREVIOUS AND CURRENT POSTS, THIS IS GIVEN AWAY BY THE USE OF "AMIRITE" AND THE EXCESSIVE, YET UNNECESSARY USE OF CAPSLOCK.

BY THE WAY, MY OPINION CAN BEAT UP YOURS ON THE INTERNET, I'M TYPING IN CAPS, THIS MAKES ME WIN BY DEFAULT.

LOL.

But yeah, opinions and stuff, but it doesn't change the fact Eva is a very influential and, at the time of its original run, innovative anime.
I'M TRYING TO CONVERT YOU TO COMMUNISM WITH MY GODLESS SOCIALIST INTERNET BRAIN WAVES YOU CAPITALIST PIG DOG

Analog-Nub
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 6
Joined: Sep 25, 2006
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Fun Times

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Analog-Nub » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:11 pm

So I guess its settled

By the way, Has anybody ever figured out why Rei is so popular?


Return to “Evangelion Chit-Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests