What anime are you watching right now? May 2012

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:05 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:I could enjoy Nisemonogatari for what it was.
Oral Hygiene Bro, the anime?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:55 pm

That's the only thing I remember. That and Platinum Disco....and egg in the hair! Can't forget egg in hair!

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:16 am

SAO 7

SPOILER: Show
Did not like this episode. One thing that I liked about the previous few episodes was that, even if they were side stories, they showed life in the game. People going to inns, towns with crowds, restaurants, stuff like that made the episodes, even if they felt rushed, interesting. This episode, on the other hand, featured essentially none of that. Yea there was the shop but that was nothing really, and the arc was horribly predictable. "Oh she likes Kirito? Well, that's not going to work out for her because she's not the main female."

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:12 am

^Horribly predictable but competently done. I enjoyed it in a modest sort of way.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:18 am

Moe Pirates swimsuit episode. I guess there just has to be either a beach or an onsen episode in every fluffy happy anime series.

Being somewhere around 6 weeks to 6 months behind on everything aired this year that I feel interested enough in to watch makes me wonder how I managed to keep up to date with a dozen or so series a few years go.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby driftking18594 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:23 pm

I completed Black Lagoon on Thursday. It was a blast, I'd give it 8/10 - I felt that Dutch and Benny weren't sufficiently developed over the first season, I guess it's onto the Second Barrage now.

Also, I'm watching Muv-Luv Alternative. I'm starting to lose faith in it... :asuka_miffed:

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:30 pm

View Original Postdriftking18594 wrote:Also, I'm watching Muv-Luv Alternative. I'm starting to lose faith in it... :asuka_miffed:

Don't give up hope, comrade! In this episode we'll have slaughters, sexy Soviet TSFs, an even sexier MILF and little bas##rds who think that they can have the property of the Soviet people for themselves! I've lost the live stream but it seems amazing from the comments and screenshots, just some minutes/hours and CR subs should be out.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

Postby chazthesilencer » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:37 pm

Kokoro Connect (Kokcon?) Eps 1-4 are all about genitals. Eps 5+6 not so much. This could go either way.

I think Working'!! exists just to make me happy. Might be my new favourite.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Justacrazyguy » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:00 pm

To Love Ru Darkness: It was, in a way, hilarious. Maybe when I´m old I´ll show this to my grandchildren just to see their faces.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:33 pm

Total Eclipse 08: Oh well, there was less action than what I expected, barely some minutes of T-80s being eaten by the BETAs at the beginning, as soon as the Terminator appeared the scene was cut, damn teasers! After that we have half episode of Yui in full dere-dere mode and Yuuya finally acting like a man; the second part instead lets me wonder what happened to the political officers, have they been all eaten by the BETAs? Luckily we still have Misha. Anyway I just hope that there'll finally be some damn TSFs in action next week, possibly with decent CGs.
They've also started to mention something about the political intrigues in this episode, it was finally time after they even cut the attempted assassination of Yui in the Island episodes.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

I came, I saw, I slipped

Postby Fireball » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:14 pm

Jinrui episode 7-8

This was endless 8 done right. Despite the weirdness somehow this show always manages to entertain and explain itself with complete ease at the end. With a swift sense of humor it satirizes without degenerating into slapstick. Paradogs isn't it?

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:27 pm

View Original PostJustacrazyguy wrote:Watched Macross II: Super Dimensional Fortress The movie: It was fun, nothing special.

Blergh, Macross II. It's pretty fair forgery but overall I found it very poor in most regards. Especially in terms of writing and characters - technically it was also nowhere near some of the peaks of OVA animation that were reached with Macross Plus. Only thing I unreservedly liked were Mikimoto's character designs.

All in all Macross II is quite much like lame rehash of DYRL without much anything that made DYRL one of the classic anime films.

Well, something good came out of it in the end. It made Kawamori realize producers were going to make more Macross no matter what. Keeping the reigns of franchise to himself was partly the reason why he returned to Macross with Plus and 7 soon afterwards.

View Original PostJustacrazyguy wrote:Macross Plus: Very good. Better then I expected. Does every Macross movie/series use music as an important part of the plot?

...and in turn Plus is fantastic, check out the film version too someday. It's largerly the same, just with rearranged and cut content and some new scenes and a new song. The additions are really good though and the film version delivers the definitive death scene from final episode as well as new ending scene. (if forced to make a choice I'd pick OVA but they're pretty much equal in my eyes)

and yeah, music is always important element of Macross title. It's part of its threeway formula of music-mechas-love triangle that gets always somewhat different treatment and different points of emphasis depending on title. Zero places least emphasis on music and instead of idols we have tribal priestesses while Frontier films (esp. Sayonara) go as close to musical you can go without turning into one.

All in all beyond the formula all canon entries in franchise are quite different from each other.

View Original PostDr. Nick wrote:Oh yes. It was back when I was just getting into bad anime with Raimuiro Senkitan, uguu-Kanon and G-on Riders. Good bad times.

I truly appreciated the amibitous writing

goldendaysoffansubbing.jpg

View Original PostDr. Nick wrote:Lordy, there's some on Youtube.

Classic.

View Original PostDr. Nick wrote:Thanks for the hollow chuckle, man. You were drinking from a golden chalice while I was licking toads with weirdly elongated limbs.

Dear readers, ask yourself this question: if you were writing a story that involves a good person turning evil, how would you go about accomplishing it? I daresay most sane writers would try to establish such a turn in characterisation by providing the character with some kind of motivation, like a betrayal or a loss of a loved one.

X does things differently. The process goes like this, and I'm not simplifying or exaggerating it one bit:

1. Character A is a good person.
2. The writers, in their omnipotent power, flip his ACME evil switch.
3. Character A is now instantaneously evil, non-ambiguously gay and drinks baby soup.

Instant evil. Absolutely instant. No need to even add water.

LOL

I thought that weirdness was just artifact of the film version and there actually was a proper reason in the original. PFFF

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Moe Pirates swimsuit episode. I guess there just has to be either a beach or an onsen episode in every fluffy happy anime series.

The fact majority of cast were girls didn't condition you into expecting this?

Some weeks ago (tbh closer to month ago I think) I finally did what I'd tried twice before: I sat down and watched Kämpfer and the OVA sequel Kämpfer für die Liebe pretty much in a row.

To sum it up they were shitty and completely retarded but also very entertaining. The tv series's final episode is one of the most non-sequitur, GAINAX worthy finales I've seen.

I definetly had good time with it in any case (which of course doesn't make it any less rubbish but really, who cares :lol:)

cheap but amusing

also, Natsuru is borderline constructive deconstruction of typical anime lead with his genuinely amusing maximum obliviousness.

:rimshot:

So, there's six episodes of Yamato 2199 OVA out now and it's getting better and better by episode. In fact I'd say so far it has been ideal retelling that justifies the phenomenom often justly maligned. Again, I really recommend checking it out. Possibly the best anime of the year that has really lacked Big Titles 2011 was chockful with

Joshiraku

I'm also watching Jinrui but this is hands down my favourite of currently airing anime. I initially didn't realize this was based on Kumeta's manga thanks to character designs but damn am I happy I now checked it out.

Having quite deep knowledge of Japanese culture AND language definetly helps a lot but I find Joshiraku damn funny for the most part, even though some of the more complicated wordplays/punfests are where I drop the ball. But generally that is a small issue as the series is such fun to watch and besides, even if you miss a joke or two it doesn't hinder the main function of the series:

THANK YOU BASED KUMETA

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:42 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:The fact majority of cast were girls didn't condition you into expecting this?
Twenty episodes of magic miniskirts had lulled me into thinking that this would be as fanservicey as Marimite.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:47 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:technically it was also nowhere near some of the peaks of OVA animation that were reached with Macross Plus.

Macross Plus was a movie in all but name, on the other hand it's even said that Macross II didn't get deleted simply because there was some interest in North America, OVAs were essentially dead by the beginning of the 90s.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:57 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Blergh, Macross II. It's pretty fair forgery but overall I found it very poor in most regards. Especially in terms of writing and characters - technically it was also nowhere near some of the peaks of OVA animation that were reached with Macross Plus. Only thing I unreservedly liked were Mikimoto's character designs.

Whereas I found Macross Plus to be inferior in every respect save music (Kanno rules). Macross II's character designs were superior, the mechanics were superior, and IMO the antagonists were a lot more interesting than a runaway computer AI. Story wasn't the best but oh well.

Naturally since Macross is all about the music Plus' superior music trumps all, but that doesn't change the fact that that's all it had going for it.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:06 pm

I seriously don't get this one. Also, there is an anime about soldiers from the third largest planet in the solar system? O_o
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:15 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:the mechanics were superior

I still don't understand what people like in Macross II's mecha, they're effectively fairly popular for a show fallen in oblivion like Macross II, personally I prefer the YF-19/YF-21, the later in particular gives me literally a boner every time I see it in action, anyway I agree with you on the rest, I already said it months ago but I think that Macross Plus is terribly overrated.
So let’s make a wish.
No matter how many times

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:24 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:I still don't understand what people like in Macross II's mecha, personally I prefer the YF-19/YF-22, the later in particular gives me literally a boner every time I see it in action, anyway I agree with you on the rest, I already said it months ago but I think that Macross Plus is terribly overrated.

The VF-2SS feels like a natural outgrowth of the VF-1S Valkyrie, the SAP is a brilliant update to the SAP/Armored VF-1S, and the Zentran Space Fighter is just a remarkable design in its own right. The YF-19 and YF-22 aren't even close to being in their league (the VF-25 Messiah and Armored Messiah are another matter).
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby drinian » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:18 pm

Episode 8 of Humanity has Declined must've had the most ridiculous science pun I've ever heard.
[Became an administrator on July 1st, 2006.]

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:44 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Twenty episodes of magic miniskirts had lulled me into thinking that this would be as fanservicey as Marimite.

Hmm, I could've sworn there was some very tame fanservice in some early episodes. Of course I might remember things wrong :shrug:

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Macross Plus was a movie in all but name, on the other hand it's even said that Macross II didn't get deleted simply because there was some interest in North America, OVAs were essentially dead by the beginning of the 90s.

Plus was written as a movie originally (thus the OVA script is actually based on film script and not vice versa) and released beforehand as four part OVA mainly to gather interest and publicity for the title but the main reason why Plus looks as damn good as it does is that Kawamori somehow managed to bring in condition that he'd have no set budget limit in the first place/it was insanely high compared to pretty much any other anime in the market (stories differ).

It's hard to "delete" product that has been released (just ask Lucas about Holiday Special) but Macross II is very much a phantom existence these days, yeah. As for OVAs being dead by the beginning of 90s that's not true - OVAs died out in 1995-1998, early 90s continued 80s OVA period with no noticeable changes for a while, boosted by hopes of conquering american market.

View Original PostBagheera wrote:the mechanics were superior

YF-22 is meh but YF-19 is divine

of course as The Mega knows the real problem is that since Plus Valkyries have had more pinko commie flavour, including YF-19 :hahaha:

View Original PostBagheera wrote:IMO the antagonists were a lot more interesting than a runaway computer AI

well that's hardly the most charitable and nuanced reading on Sharon's character (who is the end is just one device, though big one, among others to bring forth some of Plus's major themes)...

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:I seriously don't get this one.

a subtle hint  SPOILER: Show

in retrospect the funniest thing about whole ordeal was how the shit talk he got for it traumatized poor Nakamura to the point that during production of Ore no Imouto he asked for only one thing: never having to say such a line when it comes to Kuroneko and Kirino :hahaha: :hahaha:

This discussion about OVAs reminds me that I watched not too long ago the first OVA ever, Oshii's Dallos

It was dreadful piece of Space Communism, vague God allusions and class war with characters no one gives a shit about. Oshii at his absolute weakest in other words, I guess. The animation was pretty cool though.

Return to “Old Stickies”