American Godzilla 2.0

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Shogo-Kun » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:23 pm

Hate to break it to ya, Hal, but there is no such thing as originally. You can be "unique", but not "original". Why? Because every idea has been done before at some point in history. Also, it's hard to "sell" originally. Why? Because people are accustomed to things they're familiar with. That's just how humans work.

And another thing, don't try to change TDSA's, or anyone else's, viewpoint. You'll never succeed. Ever.
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:28 pm

^ Well, TDSA will like (almost) any monster movie thrown at him, no matter how many other people have seen so many other rip-offs of the exact same thing. Though I'm sure he has his reasons for liking some while not liking others.

As for "originality," I agree that it's long since gone the way of the do-do. But the trick isn't to be original, the trick is to entertain to the point where the audience doesn't care. And if a filmmaker is doing a shot-for-shot remake of something else that worked, then the filmmaker is already failing as he's only reminding people of films they'd rather see instead.

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby arkiel » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:56 pm

Anyone reading IDW's Kingdom of Monsters series? Ironic juxtaposition of the real monsters (Godzilla, Ghidorah, Anguirus) and cultural monsters (Lady Gaga, Jersey Shore, sepukku... other things).

Thing is, I don't know how you'd use Godzilla in an American setting. I don't know how he'd fit in it. The original Gojira is your go-to example for post-nuclear psychosis. Modern day is post-a-lot-of-stuff, I just don't know how you'd embody it in a daikaiju.

Wait.

The Gulf of Mexico. Huge dead zone from the oil spill. Hundreds of square miles utterly devoid of life, where only the strangest extremophiles can survive. Yes, yes, I think I can see Godzilla coming out of there. Even provides a reason for him to breath fire (albeit not thermonuclear fire).
:D

Maybe they can drop a nuke on Godzilla, as they did in the IDW series, and then comment that the only thing that accomplished was granting the creature the ability to breathe fire XDD
The Weaver - Shinji and a Mad Spider God.
The Foregone Conclusion - Two years into a seemingly endless Angel War.
Wake Up, Ikari! - Wake. The Fuck. UP.
Branching Paths - Specifically 1B, 3B, 6A. Shinji goes crazy and kills a bunch of chinstrap geese.
Beneath, Shinji deals with a ten-year timeskip.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:16 pm

^that might be amusing (sepukku? that might be taboo in some sectors of the Far East to mock that), of course such satire worked for Robocop

LOL, maybe Paul Verhoeven is available

in a way, a massive earthquake and/or nuclear fallout-radiation angle might work right this time considering Sendai's misfortunes earlier this year, though it will need to be done carefully
View Original PostShogo-Kun wrote:You can be "unique", but not "original".
same difference, it's still a problem
And another thing, don't try to change TDSA's, or anyone else's, viewpoint. You'll never succeed. Ever.
oh well that makes perfect sense, I keep my opinion to myself because of your opinion

oh wait, NO, not so much dude

anyway, for the purposes of stopping something before it starts for the sake of everyone's precious time and feelings, I refuse to further deal with or acknowledge a quasi-trolling twerp like TDSA from this post forward, and I will reserve further pontificating ITT and judgment for Godzilla 2: Electric Boogaloo until screenshots or a trailer surfaces
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:13 am

I'm no twerp because I have muscles. :cool:

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:11 pm

"Except the one that matters most."

Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:46 pm

Oh I have a heart, don't you worry.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:39 pm

Since this thread has not been updated in a while. They released some stuff from the Comic Con.

http://www.slashfilm.com/godzilla-teaser-poster-footage-description-comiccon-2012/
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:12 pm

And it does not look good, what a surprise.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:37 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:And it does not look good, what a surprise.

It DOES LOOK GOOD because with the spy pic they're going back to basics, not the T-Rex/iguana hybrid.

Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:40 pm

^You're under the assumption I care.

Seriously though, "grounded in realism" makes me iffy.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:29 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:^You're under the assumption I care.

Seriously though, "grounded in realism" makes me iffy.

The 1954 Gojira was grounded in some degree if realism. Especially in its story-telling.

Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:38 pm

Especially in its story-telling.

Assuming people care about drama genre standards where they should not belong.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:59 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:The 1954 Gojira was grounded in some degree if realism. Especially in its story-telling.

You mean in the sense that "Nuclear power is dangerous!!" and all that?

´Cuz a giant lizard isn´t realistic(unless you go back to the days of the dinossaurs).
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:43 pm

TDSA does not want this movie to be made since he only wants a movie with all action that has no story and any character development. I'm glad that they are trying to make good movie for once.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:32 am

TDSA does not want this movie to be made since he only wants a movie with all action that has no story and any character development.

:headbeat: :flamethrower: :shoot2kill: :guillotine: :spank:

Ladies and gentlemen: Someone that THINKS he knows what he is talking about but could not be more OFF if his life depended on it.
I'm glad that they are trying to make good movie for once.

If it turns out boring/oscar bait I will say "told you" forever.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:04 pm

View Original PostJustacrazyguy wrote:You mean in the sense that "Nuclear power is dangerous!!" and all that?

´Cuz a giant lizard isn´t realistic(unless you go back to the days of the dinossaurs).

The documentary-styled cinematography and social issues between the younger and older generations.

Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:07 pm

social issues between the younger and older generations.

Could you please go into a little depth with this? Because not once in my 7 years in the fandom have I seen anyone bring this up.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:55 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:Could you please go into a little depth with this? Because not once in my 7 years in the fandom have I seen anyone bring this up.

To understand this, you'd have to place this film back within context of Japan during and after the American Occupation of WWII. The director, Ishiro Honda, was drafted to fight during WWII and saw the change in Japanese customs during the American Occupation after WWII, so he has a lot to say on the matter. He influenced much of the script to reflect his opinions.

First you have the character Dr. Yamane, an older scientists who still follows a lot of the traditional customs and family structure of Japan before WWII. This is seen through how his daughter, Emiko, was raised as a woman who is to be seen-but-not-heard in the household, especially in the presence of guests. These older Japanese customs are also reflected in the arranged marriage between Emiko and Dr. Serizawa.

Then you have Hideto Ogata who seems to have embraced a more American way of thinking that was introduced during the American Occupation of WWII. He takes on Emiko as a girlfriend, tantamount to cheating on the arranged marriage in the Japanese customs, and seems to be slightly boisterousness about his disagreeing with Dr. Yamane's interest in studying Gojira, rather agreeing with the military's decision to blast it out of the water.

Smack in the middle, and in a shade of gray himself, you have Dr. Serizawa, Emiko's betrothed. Dr. Serizawa, a Japanese scientist, worked in alliance with the German military during WWII for conceiving and creating new weapons for the war. Now that the war is over, he tries to settle back into the traditional customs of Japan by agreeing to be betrothed to Emiko Yamane, Dr. Yamane's daughter. But the war has changed him beyond what he can simply overlook in reverting to Japan's older customs, and the younger generation, as seen in Ogata, is more interested in the new customs of America anyway. He's left without a cultural home and might even feel somewhat responsible for it having assisted Germany during WWII.

There are slight elements to assist the motif of the passing of the older Japanese traditions and accepting the newer ones, such as the hour-glass shaped weaponized Oxygen Destroyer used to defeat Gojira and the death of Dr. Serizawa. Emiko and Ogata go on to live together, outside of the traditions of Japan. In that sense, Dr. Serizawa represents the corruption and death of Japanese traditions throughout WWII, giving rise to the younger generation, who've embraced the new concepts introduced by the American Occupation.

It's one of the most subtly written monster movie of all time, and is very detailed in the realism between the shifting culture of Japan during the time of the film's making and release.

And if this new Godzilla film gives that much detail to the story in the film, I will be a happy, happy man. But so far, all we have to go on is that video clip in ComiCon, and the fact that this director's previous monster picture also had a heavily human aspect to the story.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:23 pm

YEAH, original Gojira is a neat film and surprisingly DEEP

Return to “Film and Video”