Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:54 pm

No MLP? :(
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:02 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Lelouch and Friend were the best

did you saw any Ranka-chans? Guess not :E

Actually, I saw two. The first was an attendee (photo not by me, I didn't take a cambera). The second Ranka appeared to be a nurse and was paired with a genki Sheryl nurse and a couple of other girls at an artist stall - here is a photo of the pair with another cosplayer, and here is their DA Page. A hot pair, and you should have been there.

As for other cosplayers - there was another Asuka, though not as good in the costume department, and I recall seeing a Rei and Shinji operating the same stall as that Rei and Mari at another time. I also saw a girl cosplaying an awesome Misato outside the maid cafe, sadly, I haven't seen any photos of her on the Smash! forums yet.
I saw two girls with awesome costumes and bunny ears, I think saw Fazmotron talking to them in the line, maybe he can enlighten me on why Nabeshin decided to pose with them.
As you'd expect, the most prominent cosplay was Vocaloid, and I counted at least five differently Miku Hatsunes, however I counted around nine when I was in the auditorium for the cosplay competition. You can see some vocalloid cosplayers here, in fact that is the group that entered the cosplay competition and they did well.
Also in the cosplay competition there were two entries as Victorique from Gosick (1) (2), an impressive Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep trio, two Angel:Beats groups (1) (2), a Simon (later with 'prop' Nia cosplayer), a Nicolas D. Wolfwood from Trigun (his crucifix gun actually had LED lights along the edges), a fellow who cosplayed and danced as all five Namco Idolmasters (0), a PSG group, and a Ranma 1/2 group that did an amazing skit. There were other cosplayers in the competition and many others throughout the event, you can see a collection of photos at the Smash! forums. I'd say among cosplays I saw my favourites were a fellow who was in a full-body Scyther costume made of fabrics (and not highly detailed, but brave nonetheless), the Misato cosplayer, the Ranka and Sheryl pair, and the pair of girls that were posing with Nabeshin.

Actually, Shinichi Watanbe, aka Nabeshin, had his panel in the auditorium at 11am and I was fortune enough to see most of it. He's a cheeky guy, and he certainly played the 'I'm Nabeshin' card a couple of times. Of the panel, I can recall:
- Nabeshin said that his costume was 'his body', and that if others touched it, it woudl tickle. He also said that if he was without it, he would feel embarrassed.
- Asked if he had seen PSG and his thoughts on the show, Nabeshin asked if pantsu were shown on television in Australia, before commenting that he didn't think pantsu in anime could make the world a better place (IIRC).
- Asked about anime he liked when growing up, Nabeshin said 'Cutie Honey' and proceeded to say something about nakedness and wanting to become a director of nudity anime.
- Asked if he would cosplay as another character, Nabeshin responded: 'Nabeshin... Nabeshin, Nabeshin... Nabeshin.'
- A couple of times, Nabeshin became confused at questions, and if the person who asked it was a girl he might make a cheeky comment about going out with her or going back to her room. And, when a boy asked if he could touch Nabeshin's shirt, Nabeshin said that his doctor told him not to let boys touch him... and he asked the kid if he was a boy or a girl, and after a bit of banter he finally said yes. I forgot what happened next, but it conclude in the guy going on stage and hugging with Nabeshin.
I'm sure there was more, and Faz could fill in the gaps, but it was a pretty good panel.

As for the vendors, the stalls had a fairly even range of merchandise - that is, if you liked statues or figures of female characters, trading figures of females characters, plushies, or Gundam sets. I saw a number of Evangelion trading figures, one stall had Asuka and Mari figmas, another had statues of Rebuild Kaworu, Misato, Asuka, Rei and Mari and also an NGE Rei+Asuka double set, one stall had Rei+Asuka portraits, another had a red/white/grey Rei + Unit 00 t-shirt (bleh), and although there were some cute Eva badges in the artist stalls I didn't see any NGE or Rebuild art, and the only Evangelion figure I saw appeared to be a cheap Unit 01 revoltech. I also saw a rare Noriko statue, I'm not sure if it sold. As for media, Madman had DVDs and Blu-Rays for sale but had no copies of 2.22 Blu-ray (I've noticed this in stores, too).

And yeah, I met Fazmotron. He was helping out at his club stall, so we got to chat two or so times, and we also introduced ourselves to fellow user Leighton. So that was pretty cool.

As for stuff I hauled, I didn't get much so I'll skip the haul thread: I got a very nice fanart of C2 from Code Geass R1, and Blu-Rays of Laputa: Castle in the Sky and Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu!. Overall, I had a great time.
Voluntary Illusion.

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:04 am

Posted the stuff I got in the Recent Hauls thread.

View Original PostXard wrote:that's even more awesome now

Thanks man.

View Original PostOrnette wrote:What material did you end up using?

I think the woman at the fabric shop said it was lycra, 65% synthetic, 35% cotton, or something like that. Sewed up the side, shoved a balloon and a piece of paper with the symbol on it inside and just traced over it with permanent marker. Turned out much better than I expected, got a few people taking photos, and a few compliments, but I didn't wear it very much because I could barely see a thing. Only a few people knew who I was.

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:I saw two girls with awesome costumes and bunny ears, I think saw Fazmotron talking to them in the line, maybe he can enlighten me on why Nabeshin decided to pose with them.

Nope, wasn't me man. There were a few other guys walking around with the same black suit and red tie outfit though which was kinda weird, so it might have been one of them.

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:Nabeshin, had his panel in the auditorium at 11am ..... I'm sure there was more, and Faz could fill in the gaps, but it was a pretty good panel.

I only caught the second half, but he was really funny. He seemed to really like the attention of all the girls, and when one of them went up to give him a gift he gave her a big kiss.

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:And yeah, I met Fazmotron. He was helping out at his club stall, so we got to chat two or so times, and we also introduced ourselves to fellow user Leighton. So that was pretty cool.

Thankfully Leighton was wearing the exact same thing he was in his Supanova photos, so I was able to recognise him and say hello. Too bad we didn't get to hang out more, I was all over the place yesterday. I guess I'll see you guys next year then.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:04 pm

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:Actually, I saw two. The first was an attendee (photo not by me, I didn't take a cambera). The second Ranka appeared to be a nurse and was paired with a genki Sheryl nurse and a couple of other girls at an artist stall - here is a photo of the pair with another cosplayer, and here is their DA Page. A hot pair, and you should have been there.

Ahh, thanks (nitpick:that isn't nurse outfit on Ranka) - some good pics on their DA

Nabeshin is awesome :hahaha:

He should direct new series...

Leighton
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Leighton » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:17 pm

Surp! Sorry Faz and EvangelionFan - i had to leave a bit early with a mate. BTW Awesome mask lol! ANd damn we shoulda got a photo together - to prove we actually saw each other -_-!

Xard yes, i did see a few (actually probs 1) Ranka-chans, but she was always faraway - didn't get photos..i remember she was in a particular dress though.

Anyways, lots of photos for you ladies and gentlemen: -

Album is here:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 0128487861

Some highlights:

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:53 pm

Ah Leighton, good to see you took some photos. I did see domo-kun once or twice, I did see the C2 from that Code Geass group (and the Lelouch/Zero, if he is the same one from Faz's photo) but not the other group members; and I saw the Misato, Rei and Shinji but I couldn't find photos of them.

Xard, according to the ANN profile, Nabeshin apparently directed three episodes of a 2010 series called Baka and Test, and before that he directed two series in 2006 called The Wallflower and Nerima Daikon Brothers. His directing/storyboard credits seem rather sparse in the last five years, but yeah, it would be good to see something new from him.
Speaking of which, Nabeshin did mention at the panel that he would like to direct an anime that was a combination of 'Japanese, American and Australian' ... I couldn't tell if he was crowd-pleasing or being genuine, but it sounds kind of redundant since around half of Australian pop culture comes from North America. Whatever the case, I'm sure his next work will be highly anticipated.
A point of interest: about an hour before the convention closed, I passed Nabeshin as he was leaving the signing sessions and about to use the escalator to the ground floor. Walking ahead of him was a shorter, younger-looking guy who was also in a Nabeshin costume... it wasn't the translator, so I wonder if it was his personal bodyguard or something, because the event security were clearly following a few steps behind. Can you imagine a personal security guard shorter and younger than Nabeshin cosplaying as Nabeshin on the job?
Voluntary Illusion.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:45 am

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:Xard, according to the ANN profile, Nabeshin apparently directed three episodes of a 2010 series called Baka and Test,

To be more specific the show's name is Baka and Test and Summon the Beast and one of the episodes (ep. 12) he shared director credit with Jun Fukuta.

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:Speaking of which, Nabeshin did mention at the panel that he would like to direct an anime that was a combination of 'Japanese, American and Australian' ...

I have a suggestion: Guadalcanal.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:01 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:To be more specific the show's name is Baka and Test and Summon the Beast and one of the episodes (ep. 12) he shared director credit with Jun Fukuta.

Not that you really needed to specify, but okay.

View Original Postsymbv wrote:I have a suggestion: Guadalcanal.

...I'm sorry, I don't get how the island of Guadalcanal is related to what Nabeshin said. Send me a PM if you want to elaborate.

Also, I recall Nabeshin being asked about the inspiration behind the Excel Saga anime character Pedro. He said that, in the manga, Pedro only has two scenes before being killed off and that he 'thought this was a shame'. ... Considering how Pedro ended up being treated, is that ironic or what?
Voluntary Illusion.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:09 am

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:Not that you really needed to specify, but okay.

Please don't take this as at attempt of nitpicking. I was just going through the information of Baka to Test to Shokanju (because of the new season of BtTtS currently being aired) when I saw your post. That's it.

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:...I'm sorry, I don't get how the island of Guadalcanal is related to what Nabeshin said. Send me a PM if you want to elaborate.

Basically at one point Japanese, American and Australian all descended on this island (the time was 1942). We can go to PM if there is a desire to discuss further.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Fazmotron

SMASH! 2012

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:55 am

Righto, SMASH! (Sydney Manga and Anime SHow) is less than a month away, and not only will Yuko Miyamura be making an appearance, but she will also be hosting a Voice Acting Workshop. So, all you have to do is apply and you could win the chance to hang with Miyamura and have her teach you the tricks of the trade.
Here are the details: [url]http://www.smash.org.au/2012/events/panels/voice-acting-workshop-with-yuko-miyamura/[/url]

I will once again be attending, hanging around the Macquarie Uni Anime Club stall with a few friends of mine, and officially representing EvaGeeks.org by wearing my EvaGeeks top-hat. EvaFan will also be along on the day, so if anyone is interested in meeting up just let me know in this thread.

It should be a good year.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.

FAZMOTRON.com

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:43 am

I shall indeed be attending SMASH! this year. I have yet to organise my transport, but as with last year I will be booking a return bus fare from Canberra to Sydney. I'll have information about my arrival time and how I'll be hanging out closer to the convention date and/or a schedule and floor plan release.

As Fazmotron said in his newspost, there has yet to be an announcement for a Yuko Miyamura panel, so it is uncertain if fans will have the opportunity for Q&A this year. I don't plan to apply for Miyamura's Voice Acting Workshop - it would be nice to meet her but the application isn't my sort of thing.

For those who would like help identifying Fazmotron on the day, here is a photo of his EvaGeeks Hat TM as it appeared in 2010. I am currently uncertain if I will also have a branded trinket to identify myself with, but I do plan to meet Faz again so at the least you could probably meet me through him.

Other SMASH! Info  SPOILER: Show
Other notable events at SMASH! include but are not limited to:

- Vendors i.e. Exhibitors and Artist's Circle (at the main floor of the exhibition centre, is where stalls such as the Macquarie Uni Anime Club will be set up)
- Cosplay Competition (I intend to attend this)
- Cosplay Chess
- Cosplay Panels
(which will be held on rooms in the upper floor of the exhibiton centre)
- HobbyCo Gundam Workshop
- Gunpla Builders World Cup
(at last year's con, some Gunpla models were put up for display in a special section of the exhibitor's area
- AMV Competition (I didn't see this last year so I may make an effort this year)
- Art Competitions (including a DeviantArt competition, a Themed Art competition and a doodling competition)
- Karoke (includes competition called 'SMASH Idol' and freeing singing)

You can read the previous SMASH! threads here:

[Cons] SMASH! Sydney Manga and Anime Show 2010
SMASH 2011
Voluntary Illusion.

Fazmotron

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:17 am

Unfortunately it seems that Miyamura will not be hosting a Q&A panel this year, and her only appearances will be the Voice Acting Workshop and the signing area.

However, it may be possible for me to sneak a few questions in, or maybe an interview, if Miyamura or her translator recognise me and my hat from previous appearances, so send me any questions you may have.

Also; c'mon Aussie EvaGeeks, out of the woodwork with you!
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.

FAZMOTRON.com

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:30 pm

The downside of living in the Far North...

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:41 pm

[UPDATED]
Clarified some details about Pokemon Battle Arena event
Added link to schedule with note to important events
Added links to Exhibitors, Artist Circle and Clubs pages

News news news!

Beyond Home Entertainment is hosting a Pokemon Battle Arena in the Vendor Hall at SMASH! Register your rule-abiding team of 3 mons with a staff member at the game area where you will be able to battle other registered people! Battles will be held in the gaming area all day, with registered participants returning at 4pm for a prize raffle.

The Schedule for SMASH! has now been made available on the main site. You can see the full .pdf here, but I will summarise what I feel are the notable events in the spoiler field below:

SPOILER: Show
Notable Events

On the Main Stage:
10am: Tange Sakura panel
11am: Miyamura Yoko voice acting workshop
12pm: Miki Shinichiro panel
2pm-4pm: Madman Cosplay Competition
4.30pm: Karoke Finals

Panels & Workshops Room:
12pm-12.30pm: The Japan Foundation Panel
1pm: Madman Industy Panel

Madman Screening Room:
10.30am-12.30am: The Secret World of Arrietty
3pm-5pm: FullMetal Alchemist: The Movie The Sacred Star of Milos

Signing and Activities Room:
1pm-2pm: Miyamura signings

Art Stage:
10am-11.30am: Animal Logic Art Panel
12.30pm-1.30pm: Comic Creators Panel
2.30pm-3pm: AMV Screenings
3pm: AMV Panel
4pm: AMV Finals

A full list of the Vendors (Exhibitors) at SMASH! has been made available here. You can expect to see big name stalls such as Madman, Hobbyco and Siren Visual, as well as local stores such as Anime At Abbotsford and King's Comics. In addition, The Japan Foundation, the Academy of Information Technology and Supernova will also have stalls.

In addition, the Artist Circle listing can be found here, and a list of Clubs and Community Groups can be found here.

Still haven't decided what I'm going to wear though...

[UPDATE - 8th July]
- An Event Map has been released.
- A Trivia Competition will be held in the panel workshop room from 2pm-3pm. Winners will recieve gift cards to the Anime at Abbotsford store.
- You can now find information on all of the screenings at SMASH! here.
- Guest signings are free to attendees, but only one item per person is allowed. Items must be official merchandise or personal fan art.
# Yuko Miyamura will be signing for fans between 1 and 2pm at the Signings and Activities room.
- Applications for the Voice Acting Workshop with Yoko Miyamura closed last Tuesday night. Successful applicants have been advised to register at the information desk at 9.30am. As neither myself or Fazmotron applied for this, we do hope there is an EvaGeek out there who got in who can tell us all about it afterward!
- If you are interested in being served High Tea at the Maid Cafe, you will have to make a booking before 9am this Friday. It will be served exclusively between 12pm and 2pm.

As I'm having a bit of trouble with University at the moment I won't have time to prepare my Pokemon team as much as I'd like, and as a result I probably won't be participating in the Pokemon Battle Arena on the day. I will let you know the day before, but, on the flipside, I would have more time to spend on other activities.

Expect a post from Fazmotron soon, I hear he's got a new hat...
Voluntary Illusion.

Fazmotron

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:46 am

Sup sup sup Geeks.

SMASH! is tomorrow and I'm heading down to Sydney today to stay at a friend's place in order to get prepared.
So, if you wanna try and spot me on the day, here's what I'll be wearing;

A stylish and sophisticated black suit with Evangelion inspired purple tie:

A NERV flag fashioned into a cool and casual cape:

And a brand new, much nicer EvaGeeks.Org top-hat:

Of course, I'll be at the Miyamura Voice Acting session at 11am at the main stage, but if you don't catch me then I may be with some chums over at the AnimeMQ stall, or just wandering around the con, so keep an eye out and come up and say hello.
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.

FAZMOTRON.com

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:53 am

^ I want that badass top hat. :(
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:54 am

NEXT TIME ON EVAGEEKS

Fazmotron and EvangelionFan were at SMASH!

The Yoko Miyamura voice acting panel was great and if you weren't there it is a sad day to be you but hey you might be able to hear Faz's recording of it later
At the Madman Industry panel we saw some trailers for awful moe anime asked the panelist about the out-of-printedness of the original series and films (his answer probably won't surprise you), and inquired about the possibility local release for 3.0 in the future
People saw Faz's hat and said things about Evangelion
Strolled around the exhibitors place, looked at stuff, and bought some stuff
Saw some cool stuff and some drull stuff at the AMV Panel
Asked someone to take a photo of the two of us which will probably be the first time an image of my person appears on EvaGeeks, when Faz gets around to posting it

All this and more, TOMORROW, after I get some sleep
peace out girl scouts
Voluntary Illusion.

Fazmotron

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:22 am

SSSsssSssSo fucking tired. You managed to beat me home as well it seems.

I'll post stuff later, y'know, whenever I'm awake again.

GLORIOUS THINGS TO COME GEEKS.
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.

FAZMOTRON.com

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:36 pm

SMASH! 2012 Part 1 of 2or3

I got up at half past five in the morning to have breakfast and catch the 7am express bus to Sydney. Listened to Amelia Piano Trio, Beck and Sonic Youth over the course of the three hour bus ride. I arrived at central station in Sydney at about five past ten in the morning, and after a brisk walk arrived at the exhibition centre to find that they had gotten the lines right this time, as I swiftly walked by all the hundreds of people who had lined up to buy tickets on the day. Advance tickets rule, yo.

So by about twenty-five past I was inside. I first went looking for Faz at the AnimeMQ booth, but he wasn't there, so I had a little look around before going to the Pokemon Battle Arena to sign up for the raffle. Met some people, battled one guy with my team of Mienshao / Zoroark / Volcarona, I would have stayed to battle more peeps but I needed to go the main stage area.

The Yuko Miyamura Voice Acting Workshop was set to start at 11am. It started a little late, but it gave me time to send Faz a text and wander about to see if he was in the audience. About ten minutes into the panel I saw him in one of the front rows; but we wouldn't meet up until sometime after. Anyway...
Onstage with Yuko was a SMASH! translator/mc by the name of Kay (?) who spoke quite well and meshed well with Yuko's lively personality. The hour-long workshop was divided into three/four activities for both the audience and the six on-stage attendees who had been selected based for the workshop on their video applications. First Yuko took us through some voice clarity&projection exercises that were fun to watch. Second, we were shown a seiyuu script in Japanese and (a scene from Episode 9 of Neon Genesis Evangelion) and were told some of differences between American and Japanese scripts (e.g. meaning of 'ad lib' as breathing sounds, gasps, etc., rather than improv dialogue). Third we were shown the scene from Episode 9 of Evangelion without the dialogue, after which the on-stage peeps did a live dub of it in Japanese. It was quite good! This was followed by Yuko giving some suggestions/tips to the folk, before they went through it a second time and it was even better. It was apparently recorded SMASH!, so when it shows up on their site/boards Faz or I will link it so you folks can hear Yuko as Rei =) And finally, Yuko and Kay dubbed the final scene from Episode 9 where Asuka and Shinji go off at each other on the Eva-phones; it was really good! And Yuko was so cute ;_;
I could go into this a little more, but I think Faz can elaborate on it better. I'll come back later to add to his recount.

There is also a Photostream on FlickR for those of you who would like to see some photos of people in costumes and of the cosplay competition, it is updating every couple of hours so I'll mention if I see new pics on it or somewhere else.

I'll be back in an hour or two to continue my recount of SMASH!, please post if you have any questions so far!
Last edited by EvangelionFan on Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Voluntary Illusion.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:39 pm

I want pics.

I also want Faz's hat but I know such wish is futile :crybaby: :crybaby:

Return to “Anime and Manga”