Evangelion 3.0 out November 17

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Deepak
Lilith

Postby Deepak » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:08 pm

Much more useful. Space battles and some blue angel. This is shaping up to be a good movie.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Jayfive » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:11 pm

Is the red shape not Asuka's targeting visor/system from the first '02 in space' trailer sans Asuka?

Visor lifted up at the top there, the backrest to the right

Failing that, thats Asuka from behind leaning to the left slightly with her right leg raised and so basically what is bottom right is dat ass.

:freud:

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:15 pm

OH MY GOD!!! IT'S TRUE!!!!!!

I don't know whether to run and hide or jump for joy.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Jayfive » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:47 pm

I always try and articulate to people just how Dorito-sponsor, giant Rei poster, crazy razor advert big EVA is.

Should show em this, would 5000 people in the US turn up in the rain to the announcement of a release date of a film?

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:20 pm

I think it's clearly Asuka in her helmet, er, clearly aside from the fact that the shape inside the helmet I cannot make out for the life of me. I'm guessing she's doing re-entry to a planet that is undergoing / has undergone Third Impact, which is just a staggering notion. Anyway, definitely looking forward to this movie. Asuka Asuka Asuka.

Xous
Lilith

Postby Xous » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:25 pm

November 17th, eh? It's awesome to finally have a release date.

The first scene (helmet visor-looking thing with white background and orange "crosses" passing behind) is definitely pretty interesting... Though the "crosses" seem to have four arms coming out from where there are usually two (and repeating at the bottom?). It does feel a lot like EoE there, as others have mentioned.
Current Eva-related project: Drawing Angels #1 - 17. Progress: Sketching Ireul. [On Standby]

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:28 pm

I thought that red thing was lighs reflected in Asuka's helmet's visor, note that red part...

YAHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Finally news! A date! It's moving forward!
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:51 pm

Squee.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Postby chee » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:05 pm

SPOILER: Show

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:13 pm

More of the same battle. Yay, I guess? A pitter-patter of excitement inevitably seized my heart (NME news, at last!), but I've learned my lessons about reading things into shitty cell phone grabs of projected trailers. The real excitement is still pending.

I am looking forward to finding out whatever all that glowy blue stuff is. Yes, "Angel" is the obvious answer, but... what does it look like? What are its capabilities? Will it only be onscreen for a minute? Etc.

I strongly doubt anything Impact-y is involved.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:21 pm

First, the obligatory "squee" over finally having a release date.

Squee.

That out of the way, I find the focus on Asuka puzzling. I mean, we all know I'd focus on Asuka, but since the NME has pretty clearly been Shinji's show up to this point going nuts about Asuka in the previews doesn't really make sense. Where the heck is Mari? They should be pimping the hell out of her at this point, and we haven't seen a frame of her since the original preview at the end of 2.0.

Regarding that fight: a mindrape seems unlikely, both because we expect it and because they basically did that already in the Bardiel fight. But it's possible they might invert that somehow, have the Angel try it and then have Asuka use the Bardiel experience to turn the tables instead of getting broken. This would fit with the new movies' generally more positive and upbeat attitude.

I also think an impact event is unlikely. Again, they did that already, and it doesn't match the tone of the new movies at all. No way they'd tap it in 2.xx and then go back and do it again in Q: time for something new.

Four and a half months, jeez. Gonna be a long wait.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:29 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:
Where the heck is Mari?

I hope they can at least work her in somehow, though I can figure how.
Maybe working alongside Kaji or something.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

JimmyWolk
Ireul
Ireul

Postby JimmyWolk » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:46 pm

Oh man, to think that 2.0 came out just when I started my apprenticeship. Now that is over, three years later... and we only just got date for Q. :P

I'd welcome an Asuka focus as well (I like the idea of her fighting Shinji et al. to stop instrumentality - even if it would be more meaningful if there had been more between the two), but 2.0 had been a prime example not to trust previews/trailers/promises. For all we know, it might be her only [s:2vkzxkva]big[/s:2vkzxkva] scene. Who knows, maybe it's even Mari piloting with some Asuka clips cut in for the show yet again. XP

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Postby chee » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:46 pm

Probably sneaking around in a cardboard box, humming her special super secret spy theme song before being gunned down by Seele henchmen in her final, blazing act of incompetence.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Jayfive » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:50 pm

Yes, what ive been thinking too - why isnt physically and psychologically uninjured Mari piloting Unit-2.

But then what if what we're watching in the two trailers IS Asuka's mindrape sequence?

She could be still on that slab for all we know....

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:57 pm

View Original PostJimmyWolk wrote:I'd welcome an Asuka focus as well (I like the idea of her fighting Shinji et al. to stop instrumentality - even if it would be more meaningful if there had been more between the two), but 2.0 had been a prime example not to trust previews/trailers/promises. For all we know, it might be her only [s]big[/s] scene. Who knows, maybe it's even Mari piloting with some Asuka clips cut in for the show yet again. XP

The notion of Shinji and Asuka fighting on opposite sides also strikes me as exceedingly unlikely. NGE's never really been about political factions, or picking sides, or anything like that. And past that I can't see why Asuka would ever do something like that -- Mari, possibly, given the IPEA connections and her general lack of development, but Asuka? After all this? Not likely. I can't see Shinji becoming the "bad guy" either, for similar reasons. That's just not what Eva is (yes, SEELE have their own Evas and so on and so forth, but I still can't see Anno going that route. This is Evangelion, not Gundam).
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:02 pm

^
maybe you're right and this is just her hero fantasy, who knows.

Also it's not like Mari disappearing would be a bad thing. :devil:
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:32 pm

Squee.

Even though I won't be bothering with a camrip, at least this gives sort of a rough estimated time for the eventual dvd release. And to think this sort of information only took three years to manifest.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

JimmyWolk
Ireul
Ireul

Postby JimmyWolk » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:08 pm

@Bagheera: I wouldn't want them to fight on opposite "sides" (unless you count Angels vs Humans) either, nor making him really "the bad guy" (willingly). But she most likely would fight something that starts to initiate instrumentality, even if it's EVA-01 including Shinji (or whatever physical form they'd take). Imagine her waking up late in EoE and going after GNR.
It wouldn't (necessarily) have to be her trying to kill him/them/it, but her trying to punch through that whatever physical form they have taken so she can whack him and go "Hey idiot, stop killing everyone!" on the mental plane once she got through to him. All in all giving her a bit more of an active role in stopping Shinji's "everyone should die"-Impact.

Not that I'm saying it's likely at all. Shinji is probably fairly content at the moment, so his mind isn't really set on wiping himself and everybody else out of existence. And, yeah, another impact and another "pushing through"-scene would bring back a few too many deja vus from the previous film.
As said, I like the idea, but it wouldn't be very meaningful nor very feasible in the Rebuild universe.

BiQ
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby BiQ » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:44 pm

Maybe they are focusing on Asuka because angry Asuka fans in Japan were angry after 2.0?

...Oh yeah, who am I kidding?

Edit: I actually don't like the idea of Khara doing this stuff in such a reactionary, knee-jerk fashion. I hope they don't.
Last edited by BiQ on Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The art of being grown up, the dirty little secret nobody lets on about, is that it's all about getting comfortable with acting the part, and reaching that point where you stop giving a fuck, and do stuff that needs to be done, because it just needs doing, and ain't nobody else going to do it for you. -Mr. Tines

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”